Sign in to follow this  
countessdelave

The 22nd TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE: HAIL COLUMBIA

91 posts in this topic

Welcome to the 22nd TCM Programming Challenge: Hail Columbia.

This Challenge starts now and closes at Midnight (Pacific time), September 3rd, 2012.

It’s hard to believe that we’re embarking on the 22nd edition. The original Challenge was created several years ago, by message board denizen, path40a. Path40a wanted to find a way to let participants create a week of programming for TCM, incorporating many of the rules and restrictions that guide the real TCM programming staff.

All of the previous Challenges and this one are not sponsored by TCM. That doesn’t mean that they don’t pay attention to the Programming Challenges. In fact, they love them. Tcmprogrammr has been known to post comments on this thread. The entries sometimes lead to similar themes and specific films shown on the network.

The basic idea of the Challenge is to create a week’s schedule for TCM, following the rules and requirements. When the Challenge is over, I will start a new thread, reposting the entrants’ schedules and notes. This will be a voting thread and anyone who has been registered to use the message boards as of July 1, 2012, may vote for his or her favorite schedule. Anyone who is registered with TCM may enter the Challenge, regardless of their registration date.

I really encourage participation from anyone who wants to give it a go for the first time and, of course, from those who have submitted schedules in past Challenges.

The winner of this Challenge gets to host the next Challenge. There is no official prize for winning but, as host, you will get to set the time and special requirements of the next Challenge. You also know that your peers voted your schedule as their favorite. Isn’t that enough?!

Hail Columbia.

I have wanted to do something with Columbia Studios as a theme for some time. Originally, I thought that the Columbia contract with TCM would be expiring soon and that most of those films would seldom be seen in the near future. Charlie Tabesh, Head of Programming at TCM tells me that’s not quite the case. We may see a few less Columbia titles next year but TCM has a very good relationship with Columbia/Sony and we can continue to enjoy their library in the future. What a good reason to submit some of your ideas.

The Hail Columbia Challenge Requirements:

1) The SPECIAL Requirement of this challenge is to program an evening with a minimum of four films made or distributed by Columbia Studios. This is a great opportunity for you to research the titles and come up with some gems. Who knows: you may influence future TCM requests from the Columbia library. You are allowed four Columbia premieres, which will NOT count toward your ten premieres. In addition, you are allowed to use any and all Columbia shorts of less than thirty minutes in length throughout the week. Have at it. If you love The Three Stooges, this is your kind of Challenge.

2) OPTIONAL Requirement: I know that it sounds like an oxymoron but this part truly is optional and it’s just for fun.

A) You may select any pre-1970 Columbia film and recast it. Perhaps you secretly thought that Rita Hayworth was miscast in Gilda. This is your chance to play Harry Cohn and redo all or part of the casting. Maybe you think that It Happened One Night would have been a more interesting film if directed by someone other than Frank Capra. Now’s your chance to replace him.

OR

B) You may choose any film from this season’s Essentials and recast or make personnel changes in the same fashion.

Please remember that this is all in fun. These films are beloved and many people think they are perfect as they are. Don’t be cruel with your comments.

3) You are to select any week from September 2012 through the end of 2013.

4) Your schedule must start at exactly 6:00 AM (Eastern time) on a Sunday and conclude before 6 AM the following Sunday.

5) Each day begins at approximately 6 AM (there is some leeway Monday through Saturday mornings).

6) Each evening’s primetime programming must start at exactly 8 PM (eastern time).

7) All features must start on the hour, quarter hour, half hour or three-quarters of an hour. Make sure that you have left enough time for intros and outros for primetime features.

8) You must include the regular weekly TCM programs: The Essentials, TCM Underground, TCM Imports, Silent Sunday Night and one evening devoted to a Star of the Month. You must use a minimum of four films for the SOTM. Please pick a SOTM whose body of work includes enough films to cover the four to five weeks in a month.

9) Please avoid gaps of more than fifteen minutes between features. You want to hold the attention of your audience. Consider using shorts, TCM documentaries and Private Screenings interviews to fill in those gaps. However, none of these are required.

10) You are allowed ten premieres plus the four exempt Columbia premieres (which may only be used on your night devoted to Columbia). The other ten premieres may originate from any studio or country. You are also allowed unlimited use of any Columbia shorts of less than thirty minute duration, throughout the week.

11) TCM Imports, TCM Underground and Silent Sunday Night are all exempt from the ten premiere rule.

12) You may show any film previously shown on TCM or from the original TCM library, which includes:

RKO (all)

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0041421/

MGM (pre-1986)

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0020206/

Warner Bros. (pre-1948)

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0026840/

You will find these databases useful for finding movies from other studios. Remember that four films from Columbia Studios (shown on your Columbia theme evening are exempt from the premieres). TCM has shown some films from these and other studios but those never shown will count against your 10 premieres:

Columbia Pictures (all)

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0071509/

United Artists (after 1950):

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0026841/

Samuel Goldwyn (all):

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0016710/

J. Arthur Rank Film Distributors:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0027356/

20th Century Fox:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0000756/

Paramount Pictures:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0023400/

Universal Pictures:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0005073/

British Gaumont Pictures:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0103050/

Any post 1948 Warner Bros. films and post 1986 MGM films must be considered premieres unless they have been shown on TCM in the past.

Live action Disney movies are allowed (use same rules as for anything outside the original TCM library):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_live_action_films

Disney-created animated movies are never allowed, because Disney will not grant the rights for another network to show them. Animated movies created by other studios, but whose rights were later acquired by Disney, are allowed.

13) For each film, please show the time, title, year, running time, actor(s), director(s), and studio. If the film is not from a database which is automatically allowed, please indicate either p/s for previously shown or Premiere #__ if it is a premiere or Exempt for any exempt film (the Columbias, TCM Imports, etc.).

Here is an example of formatting the pertinent data from your film:

7:00 pm Trade Winds (1938). 93 min. UA. Joan Bennett, Fredric March. D: Tay Garnett. p/s.

14) Include your programming notes as a separate post following the schedule entry. It is really interesting and informative to know why you selected particular themes or films, but we also like to be able to read your schedule as a whole.

Themes are really encouraged. Birthday tributes to actors, directors, and other cinematic creators are a staple of TCM schedules. Anniversaries of historical or cinematic importance are always welcome. And then there are those themes that just defy description. To name one from the past: fedya’s overall theme of gimmicky television advertising campaigns with such sub themes as: “eharmony.com”. Films scheduled included Pride and Prejudice and Hello, Dolly!

15) Please avoid emoticons or triple exclamation points. They sometimes create technical problems on the website.

16) After the contest closes at midnight, Pacific time on September 3rd, 2012, I will compile all the of the schedules and notes into a voting thread and there will be a week of voting for the winner.

Here are some useful links:

The current season of the Essentials:

http://www.tcm.com/essentials/schedule.html

Past Stars of the Month (thank you, lzcutter):

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=165568&tstart=0

Links to previous Challenges:

Challenge #21: http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=163504&tstart=0&messageID=8612166#8612166

Challenge #20: http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8566808�

Challenge #19: http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=160021&tstart=0&messageID=8524696#8524696

There are other Challenges and they are great fun to read. If you poke around the search function on the boards, you should find many of them in General Discussions. Unfortunately, some of them disappeared when the website was revamped a couple of years ago. I can on longer find #17 Challenge that I had moderated a while back.

Please feel free to post any questions about the Challenge on this thread. You may also send me a private message.

Good luck! I’m anticipating the wonderful schedules that will be created by all of you.

Nice, countess. Very original to honor a studio--and THAT studio is an excellent choice. So many amazing films and artists from that studio. My brain is spinning already. Pretty excited about this one.

May I add, for newcomers, that this is the best way I know to request a film. I've had many a Premiere wind up on TCM, and I know the others have, too. The TCM Programmer(s) read this and sometimes copy these ideas. That is the greatest prize of all. Plus it's really fun. So join us!

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

>

> May I add, for newcomers, that this is the best way I know to request a film. I've had many a Premiere wind up on TCM, and I know the others have, too. The TCM Programmer(s) read this and sometimes copy these ideas. That is the greatest prize of all. Plus it's really fun. So join us!

>

>

> LP, I couldn't have said it better myself.

>

Great challenge!

Since so many movies I like in a certain genre are from Columbia, that night's theme is a natural.

One thing I should point out, though. There are two Columbia Pictures.

Columbia Pictures

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0071509/

They produced only 198 movies.

Columbia Pictures Corporation

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0050868/

They produced 2903 movies.

They're probably one and the same, just different names for tax purposes or something.

> {quote:title=audreyforever wrote:}{quote}How do you know if a movie has been on before?

Audreyforever, that's an excellent question and there's not a simple answer. For the most part, you can go to the search function on TCM's homepage, select the "site" button and enter the title of the film in question into the search bar. If the film has a programming article written about it, then it has been on TCM before. However, there are some films that have been shown on TCM, out of primetime, and have not had programming articles written about them. I, too, have run into the same problem but, because I tape a fair amount of films, had the physical proof that Mister Cinderella had been on TCM in the past. When the website was changed a couple of years ago, some articles seemed to disappear. This is not a perfect system for checking for previously shown films, but it's all we have. If you're feeling somewhat secure in thinking a film has been on but you are not 100% sure, feel free to post a question on this thread. I can almost guarantee that someone will know.

Capuchin, thank you for posting the link to the rest of Columbia's film library. It's so great to have knowledgeable folks who'll help all of us out on these boards.

> {quote:title=audreyforever wrote:}{quote}

> How do you know if a movie has been on before?

The method countessdelave stated is the best bet.

You can also try an advanced search in Google. Enter the name of the movie in the box for exact phrase and copy everything up to the first / in this page's url and paste it into the site box. You might get a lot of hits where the movie is in someone's favorite list, but posters mention a lot of the movies that will be or were on.

There used to be a site with a couple years' worth of old schedules, but since their remodeling, the old urls don't work.

Lastly, you can ask here. I have schedules going back to 2005. I'm probably not going to look up a dozen titles for anyone, but if you only need to check a few to get under the limit on premieres, I'll help where I can.

I've selected all the movies for my schedule. Now it's only a matter of moving them from database to word processor and writing up the program notes.

> {quote:title=countessdelave wrote:}{quote}Capuchin,

> I can hardly believe that you've got your films already picked-you are fast!

It's easy! (If you cheat. :) )

My database now has 13,048 movies.A lot of the entries are just title, year, and studio, but 7,496 have at least the actors, director, and a few keywords.

It's easy to pick movies when all you have to do is sort the list and decide which of the top 50 you want.

And I have time on my hands right now. I'd cleared my schedule so SansFin and I could have a lot of time together before she started school. With her away, I'm kinda at loose ends.

Capuchin's Schedule for June 16 to 22, 2013

SOTM -- Basil Rathbone

Columbia Tribute -- Monday Evening

Daytime Themes -- *If TCM's programmers moonlighted for other cable channels.*

Evening Themes -- Cheesy Alliterations

Sunday

*Court TV*

6:00AM *Witness For The Prosecution* (1957) Tyrone Power, Marlene Dietrich, Charles Laughton, Dir: Billy Wilder, Small Prod,, 116mins, P/S

8:00AM *Madeleine* (1950) Ann Todd, Norman Wooland, Leslie Banks. Dir: David Lean, Cineguild, 101mins, P/S

9:45AM *The Wreck Of The Mary Deare* (1959) Gary Cooper, Charlton Heston, Michael Redgrave. Dir: Michael Anderson, Blaustein-Baroda, 105mins, P/S

11:30AM *None Shall Escape* (1944) Marsha Hunt, Alexander Knox, Henry Travers. Dir: Andr? De Toth, Columbia, 85mins, P/S

1:00PM *Term Of Trial* (1962) Laurence Olivier, Simone Signoret, Sarah Miles. Dir: Peter Glenville, Romulus, 113mins, P/S

3:00PM *LeProces de Jeanne d'Arc* (1962) Florence Delay, Jean-Claude Fourneau, Roger Honorat. Dir: Robert Bresson, Delahaie Prod., 65mins, P/S

4:15PM *The Trials of Oscar Wilde* (1960) Peter Finch, Yvonne Mitchell, James Mason. Dir: Ken Hughes, Viceroy, 123mins, P/S

6:30PM *One Way Pendulum* (1964) Eric Sykes, George Cole, Julia Foster. Dir: Peter Yates, Woodfall, 90mins, P/S

*Sherlockian Sunday*

*SOTM -- Basil Rathbone*

8:00PM *The Flirting Widow* (1930) Dorothy Mackaill, Basil Rathbone, Leila Hyams. Dir: William Seiter, First National, 72mins, P/S

9:15PM *A Notorious Affair* (1930) Billie Dove, Basil Rathbone, Kay Francis. Dir: Lloyd Bacon, First National, 69mins, P/S

10:30PM *Fingers At The Window* (1942) Basil Rathbone, Lew Ayres, Laraine Day. Dir: Charles Lederer, MGM, 81mins

*Silent Sunday Night*

12:00AM *The Great Deception* (1926) Basil Rathbone, Aileen Pringle, Ben Lyon. Dir: Howard Higgin, Kane Prod., 60mins, Exempt

1:00AM *The Masked Bride* (1925) Basil Rathbone, Mae Murray, Francis X. Bushman. Dir: Christy Cabanne, MGM, 60mins

*TCM Import*

2:00AM *Autopsia de un fantasma* (1968) Basil Rathbone, John Carradine, Amadee Chabot. Dir: Ismael Rodr?guez, Pel?culas Rodr?guez, 95mins, Exempt

3:45AM *Sherlock Holmes in Terror by Night* (1946) Basil Rathbone, Nigel Bruce, Alan Mowbray. Dir: Roy William Neill, Universal, 60mins, P/S

4:45AM *The Black Sleep* (1956) Basil Rathbone, Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney Jr. Dir: Reginald LeBorg, Bel-Air, 73mins, P/S

Monday

*DIY Network*

6:00AM *Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House* (1948) Cary Grant, Myrna Loy, Melvyn Douglas. Dir: H C Potter, RKO, 94mins

7:45AM *Frankenstein* (1931) Boris Karloff, Colin Clive, Mae Clarke. Dir: James Whale, Universal, 70mins, P/S

9:00AM *How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying* (1967) Robert Morse, Michele Lee, Rudy Vallee. Dir: David Swift, Mirisch, 121mins, P/S

11:15AM *How to Murder a Rich Uncle* (1957) Nigel Patrick, Charles Coburn, Wendy Hiller. Dir: Nigel Patrick, Warwick, 79mins, P/S

12:45PM *How To Stuff A Wild Bikini* (1965) Frankie Avalon, Annette Funicello, Brian Donlevy. Dir: William Asher, AIP, 93mins, P/S

2:30PM *How to Marry a Millionaire* (1953) Betty Grable, Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall. Dir: Jean Negulesco, Fox, 95mins, P/S

4:15PM *How to Save a Marriage And Ruin Your Life* (1968) Dean Martin, Stella Stevens, Eli Wallach. Dir: Fielder Cook, Nob Hill, 102mins, P/S

6:00PM *How To Murder Your Wife* (1965) Jack Lemmon, Virna Lisi, Terry-Thomas. Dir: Richard Quine, Murder Inc, 118mins, P/S

*Mystery Monday* (Columbia Mysteries)

8:00PM *5 Against the House* (1955) Kim Novak, Guy Madison, Brian Keith. Dir: Phil Karlson, Columbia, 84mins, Premiere #1

9:30PM *Who Killed Gail Preston?* (1938) Rita Hayworth, Don Terry, Robert Paige. Dir: Leon Barsha, Columbia, 61mins, Premiere #2

10:45PM *Murder in Greenwich Village* (1937) Richard Arlen, Fay Wray, Raymond Walburn. Dir: Albert S. Rogell, Columbia, 68mins, Premiere #3

12:00AM *The Shadow* (1937) Rita Hayworth, Charles Quigley, Marc Lawrence. Dir: Charles C. Coleman, Columbia, 59mins, Premiere #4

1:00AM *The Ninth Guest* (1934) Donald Cook, Genevieve Tobin, Hardie Albright. Dir: Roy William Neill, Columbia, 65mins, Premiere #5

2:15AM *The Crime of Helen Stanley* (1934) Ralph Bellamy, Shirley Grey, Gail Patrick. Dir: D Ross Lederman, Columbia, 58mins, Premiere #6

3:15AM *The Woman from Tangier* (1948) Adele Jergens, Stephen Dunne, Ian MacDonald. Dir: Harold Daniels, Columbia, 66mins, Premiere #7

4:30AM *Pushover* (1954) Fred MacMurray, Phil Carey, Kim Novak. Dir: Richard Quine, Columbia, 88mins, P/S

Tuesday

*Travel Channel*

6:00AM *London After Midnight* (1927) Lon Chaney, Marceline Day, Henry B Walthall. Dir: Tod Browning, MGM, 47mins

7:00AM *Fire Over England* (1937) Laurence Olivier, Flora Robson, Vivien Leigh. Dir: William F Howard, London Film, 89mins, P/S

8:30AM *Bonnie Scotland* (1935) Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, June Lang. Dir: James Horne, Hal Roach, 80mins, P/S

10:00AM *Carnival in Flanders* (1935) Francoise Rosay, Andre Alerme, Louis Jouvet. Dir: Jacques Feyder, Films Sonores Tobis, 110mins, P/S

12:00PM *Pan-Americana* (1945) Audrey Long, Phillip Terry, Robert Benchley. Dir: John H Auer, RKO, 84mins

1:30PM *Flying Down To Rio* (1933) Dolores Del Rio, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers. Dir: Thornton Freeland, Radio Pictures, 89mins, P/S

3:00PM *Escapade In Japan* (1957) Teresa Wright, Cameron Mitchell, Jon Provost. Dir: Arthur Lubin, RKO, 93mins

4:45PM *China Sky* (1945) Randolph Scott, Ruth Warrick, Ellen Drew. Dir: Ray Enright, RKO, 78mins

6:15PM *Forbidden Planet* (1956) Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, Leslie Nielsen. Dir: Fred M Wilcox, MGM, 98mins

Train Travelin' Tuesday

8:00PM *The Train* (1964) Burt Lancaster, Paul Scofield, Jeanne Moreau. Dir: John Frankenheimer, Dear Film, 133mins, P/S

10:15PM *The Lady Vanishes* (1938) Margaret Lockwood, Michael Redgrave, Dame May Whitty. Dir: Alfred Hitchcock, Gainsborough, 96mins, P/S

12:00AM *Shanghai Express* (1932) Marlene Dietrich, Clive Brook, Anna May Wong. Dir: Josef von Sternberg, Paramount, 80mins, P/S

1:30AM *Murder In The Private Car* (1934) Russell Hardie, Charles Ruggles, Una Merkel. Dir: Harry Beaumont, MGM, 63mins

2:45AM *The Ghost Train* (1941) Arthur Askey, Richard Murdoch, Kathleen Harrison. Dir: Walter Forde, Gainsborough, 85mins, P/S

4:15AM *Strangers On A Train* (1951) Farley Granger, Ruth Roman, Robert Walker. Dir: Alfred Hitchcock, WB Pictures, 101mins, P/S

Wednesday

*The Weather Channel*

6:00AM *The Hurricane* (1937) Dorothy Lamour, Jon Hall, Mary Astor. Dir: John Ford, Goldwyn, 110mins, P/S

8:00AM *Tess of the Storm Country* (1922) Mary Pickford, Lloyd Hughes, Gloria Hope. Dir: John S. Robertson, Mary Pickford Company, 118mins, P/S

10:00AM *The Rains Came* (1939) Myrna Loy, Tyrone Power, George Brent. Dir: Clarence Brown, Fox, 103mins, P/S

11:45AM *The Wind* (1928) Lillian Gish, Lars Hanson, Montagu Love. Dir: Victor Sjostrom, MGM, 82mins

1:15PM *Rain* (1932) Joan Crawford, Fred Howard, William Gargan. Dir: Lewis Milestone, Feature Prod, 94mins, P/S

3:00PM *Noah's Ark* (1929) Dolores Costello, Noah Beery, George O'Brien. Dir: Michael Curtiz, WB, 100mins

4:45PM *Monsoon* (1943) John Carradine, Gale Sondergaard, Sidney Toler. Dir: Edgar G Ulmer, Atlantis, 82mins, P/S

6:15PM *Key Largo* (1948) Humphrey Bogart, Edward G Robinson, Lauren Bacall. Dir: John Huston, WB Pictures, 100mins, P/S

*Wednesday Weddings*

8:00PM *The Pleasure of His Company* (1961) Fred Astaire, Lilli Palmer, Debbie Reynolds. Dir: George Seaton, Perlsea, 115mins, Premiere #8

10:00PM *June Bride* (1948) Bette Davis, Robert Montgomery, Fay Bainter. Dir: Bretaigne Windust, WB Pictures, 96mins, P/S

11:45PM *Royal Wedding* (1951) Fred Astaire, Jane Powell, Peter Lawford. Dir: Stanley Donen, MGM, 93mins

1:30AM *Double Wedding* (1937) William Powell, Myrna Loy, Florence Rice. Dir: Richard Thorpe, MGM, 87mins

3:00AM *The Wedding Night* (1935) Gary Cooper, Anna Sten, Ralph Bellamy. Dir: King Vidor, Howard Prod, 83mins, P/S

4:30AM *Haunted Honeymoon* (1940) Robert Montgomery, Constance Cummings, Robert Newton. Dir: Arthur B Woods, MGM British Studios, 83mins, P/S

Thursday

*Animal Planet*

6:00AM *King Kong* (1933) Fay Wray, Robert Armstrong, Bruce Cabot. Dir: Merian C Cooper & Ernest B Schoedsack, RKO, 100mins

7:45AM *The Yearling* (1946) Gregory Peck, Jane Wyman, Claude Jarman Jr. Dir: Clarence Brown, MGM, 128mins

10:00AM *The Black Stallion* (1979) Kelly Reno, Mickey Rooney, Terry Garr. Dir: Carroll Ballard, Omni Zoetrope, 118mins, P/S

12:00PM *The Jungle Book* (1942) Sabu, Joseph Calleia, John Qualen. Dir: Zoltan Korda, Alexander Korda Films, 108mins, P/S

2:00PM *Safari* (1956) Victor Mature, Janet Leigh, John Justin. Dir: Terence Young, Warwick, 90mins, P/S

3:30PM *Hatari!* (1962) John Wayne, Elsa Martinelli, Red Buttons. Dir: Howard Hawks, Malabar, 157mins, P/S

6:15PM *Mysterious Island* (1961) Michael Craig, Michael Callan, Joan Greenwood. Dir: Cy Endfield, Ameran, 101mins, P/S

*Thinkin' Thursday*

8:00PM *Sitting Pretty* (1948) Robert Young, Maureen O'Hara, Clifton Webb. Dir: Walter Lang, Fox, 83mins, P/S

9:30PM *Lost Angel* (1943) Margaret O'Brien, James Craig, Marsha Hunt. Dir: Roy Rowland, MGM, 91mins

11:15PM *Lust For Life* (1956) Kirk Douglas, Anthony Quinn, James Donald. Dir: Vincente Minnelli, MGM, 121mins

1:30AM *Charly* (1968) Cliff Robertson, Claire Bloom, Lilia Skala. Dir: Ralph Nelson, ABC, 103mins, P/S

3:15AM *Genius At Work* (1947) Wally Brown, Alan Carney, Bela Lugosi. Dir: Leslie Goodwins, RKO, 61mins

4:30AM *The Mad Genius* (1931) John Barrymore, Marian Marsh, Donald Cook. Dir: Michael Curtiz, WB, 81mins

Friday

*Food Network*

6:00AM *If You Could Only Cook* (1935) Herbert Marshall, Jean Arthur, Leo Carillo. Dir: William A Seiter, Columbia, 72mins, P/S

7:15AM *Our Daily Bread* (1934) Karen Morley, Tom Keene, John Qualen. Dir: King Vidor, Vidor Prod., 74mins, P/S

8:30AM *Breakfast for Two* (1937) Barbara Stanwyck, Herbert Marshall, Glenda Farrell. Dir: Alfred Santell, RKO, 68mins

9:45AM *Kisses For Breakfast* (1941) Dennis Morgan, Jane Wyatt, Shirley Ross. Dir: Lewis Seiler, WB, 82mins

11:15AM *My Kingdom for a Cook* (1943) Charles Coburn, Marguerite Chapman, Bill Carter. Dir: Richard Wallace, Columbia, 81mins, P/S

12:45PM *Oliver Twist* (1922) Jackie Coogan, Lon Chaney, Gladys Brockwell. Dir: Frank Lloyd, Coogan Prod., 74mins, P/S

2:00PM *Christmas In Connecticut* (1945) Barbara Stanwyck, Dennis Morgan, Sydney Greenstreet. Dir: Peter Godfrey, WB, 101mins

3:45PM *The Man Who Came To Dinner* (1942) Bette Davis, Ann Sheridan, Monty Woolley. Dir: William Keighley, WB, 112mins

5:45PM *Satyricon* (1970) Martin Potter, Hiram Keller, Max Born. Dir: Federico Fellini, PEA, 128mins, P/S

*Femme Fatale Friday*

8:00PM *Mata Hari* (1931) Greta Garbo, Ramon Novarro, Lionel Barrymore. Dir: George Fitzmaurice, MGM, 89mins

9:30PM *The Devil Is A Woman* (1935) Marlene Dietrich, Lionel Atwill, Edward Everett Horton. Dir: Josef von Sternberg, Paramount, 79mins, P/S

11:00PM *Cleopatra* (1912) Helen Gardner, Pearl Sindelar, Harley Knoles. Dir: Charles Gaskill, Gardner Picture Players , 88mins, P/S

12:30AM *Framed* (1947) Glenn Ford, Janis Carter, Barry Sullivan. Dir: Richard Wallace, Columbia, 82mins, P/S

*TCM Underground*

2:00AM *Kitten With a Whip* (1964) Ann-Margret, John Forsythe, Peter Brown. Dir: Douglas Heyes, Universal, 82mins, Exempt

3:30AM *Solomon And Sheba* (1959) Yul Brynner, Gina Lollobrigida, George Sanders. Dir: King Vidor, Small Prod,, 139mins, P/S

Saturday

*ESPN*

6:00AM *Alibi Ike* (1935) Joe E Brown, Olivia de Havilland, Ruth Donnelly. Dir: Ray Enright, WB, 72mins

7:15AM *The Cowboy Quarterback* (1939) Marie Wilson, Bert Wheeler, William Demarest. Dir: Noel Smith, WB, 56mins

8:15AM *Indianapolis Speedway* (1939) Pat O'Brien, Ann Sheridan, John Payne. Dir: Lloyd Bacon, WB, 82mins

9:45AM *Kill the Umpire* (1950) William Bendix, Una Merkel, Ray Collins. Dir: Lloyd Bacon, Columbia, 78mins, P/S

11:15AM *The Story Of Seabiscuit* (1949) Shirley Temple, Barry Fitzgerald, Lon McCallister. Dir: David Butler, WB Pictures, 98mins, P/S

1:00PM *Six Day Bike Rider* (1934) Joe E Brown, Maxine Doyle, Frank McHugh. Dir: Lloyd Bacon, First National, 69mins, P/S

2:15PM *Genevieve* (1953) John Gregson, Dinah Sheridan, Kenneth More. Dir: Henry Cornelius, Rank, 86mins, P/S

3:45PM *Elmer The Great* (1933) Joe E Brown, Patricia Ellis, Frank McHugh. Dir: Mervyn LeRoy, First National, 72mins, P/S

5:00PM *Ladies Day* (1943) Lupe Velez, Eddie Albert, Patsy Kelly. Dir: Leslie Goodwins, RKO, 62mins

6:15PM *Angels In The Outfield* (1951) Paul Douglas, Janet Leigh, Keenan Wynn. Dir: Clarence Brown, MGM, 99mins

*Supernatural Satuday*

*Essential*

8:00PM *Angel On My Shoulder* (1946) Paul Muni, Anne Baxter, Claude Rains. Dir: Archie Mayo, Rogers Prod., 100mins, P/S

10:45PM *Scrooge* (1970) Albert Finney, Alec Guinness, Edith Evans. Dir: Ronald Neame, Cinema Center, 113mins, P/S

11:45PM *Gildersleeve's Ghost* (1944) Harold Peary, Marion Martin, Frank Reicher. Dir: Gordon Douglas, RKO, 64mins

1:00AM *I Married An Angel* (1942) Jeanette MacDonald, Nelson Eddy, Edward Everett Horton. Dir: Maj W S Van Dyke II, MGM, 85mins

2:30AM *The Woman In White* (1948) Gig Young, Eleanor Parker, Sydney Greenstreet. Dir: Peter Godfrey, WB Pictures, 109mins, P/S

4:30AM *The Ghost Breakers* (1940) Bob Hope, Paulette Goddard, Paul Lukas. Dir: George Marshall, Paramount, 85mins, P/S

Premieres

5 Against the House

Who Killed Gail Preston?

Murder in Greenwich Village

The Shadow

The Ninth Guest

The Crime of Helen Stanley

The Woman from Tangier

The Pleasure of His Company

Eras

1910's -- 1

1920s -- 7

1930s -- 32

1940s -- 29

1950s -- 18

1960s -- 15

1970s -- 3

Capuchin's Schedule for June 16 to 22, 2013

SOTM -- Basil Rathbone

Columbia Tribute -- Monday Evening

Daytime Themes -- *If TCM's programmers moonlighted for other cable channels.*

Evening Themes -- Cheesy Alliterations

There are times that, for one reason or another, I'm not particularly interested in watching the movie on TCM. So I start channel surfing. This led me to wonder what it would look like if TCM programmers moonlighted by creating schedules for other cable channels.

Court TV would be all about trials, DIY Network would show How To movies, etc.

I thought about a particular news channel's possible line-up (a mixture of fantasies and famous lies), but discretion is the better part of valor, and I decided not to light that fuse.

Basil Rathbone is SOTM. I'm able to put him on Sunday because of his silent and foreign movies. *Autopsia de un fantasma* (1968) translates roughly to Autopsy of a Ghost. It's really tacky but kinda so bad it's good. As part of my cheesy alliterations, I called it Sherlockian Sunday, but there's only one Holmes movie.

When I think of Columbia Pictures, the first thing that comes to mind is mystery movies. I picked some I barely remember, not having seen them in decades.

The rest of the schedule is rather self-evident. I picked mostly movies I know and like to fit the theme for the day or evening.

I know 4 of the premieres on Columbia night didn't have to go against the overall count, but I don't usually use a lot of premieres anyway because most of the great movies have already been on TCM.

Premieres

5 Against the House

Who Killed Gail Preston?

Murder in Greenwich Village

The Shadow

The Ninth Guest

The Crime of Helen Stanley

The Woman from Tangier

The Pleasure of His Company

I wasn't keeping track of the years of the movies I chose. It wound up looking about normal for my preferences (heavy on the 30s and 40s).

Eras

1910's -- 1

1920s -- 7

1930s -- 32

1940s -- 29

1950s -- 18

1960s -- 15

1970s -- 3

Congrats on being the first to enter a schedule. Great job, Capuchin! You came up with a couple of Columbia titles that I've not heard of (but would like to see): Who Killed Gail Preston and The Crime of Helen Stanley.

Well, folks, Capuchin has thrown down the gauntlet. I can't wait to see schedules from the rest of you.

> {quote:title=countessdelave wrote:}{quote}

> You came up with a couple of Columbia titles that I've not heard of (but would like to see): Who Killed Gail Preston and The Crime of Helen Stanley.

I found a clip from WKGP.

Maybe you shouldn't watch it. It'll just make you want to see the whole thing.

Thanks, Capuchin, for that clip of Who Killed Gail Preston. Interesting that it is apparently a remake of The Crime of Helen Stanley, just four years later. Also, great schedule! I'm a big Basil Rathbone fan, wonderful choice!

> {quote:title=LovesLilacs wrote:}{quote}

> Interesting that it is apparently a remake of The Crime of Helen Stanley,

It is, but then again, in a way, it isn't because I don't think anyone would ever confuse Gail Patrick with Rita Hayworth.

> I'm a big Basil Rathbone fan

So many people only know him as Sherlock Holmes. He was a romantic leading man and had great comedic timing.

> {quote:title=Capuchin wrote:

>

> }{quote} I found a clip from WKGP.

>

>

> Maybe you shouldn't watch it. It'll just make you want to see the whole thing.

Capuchin, Thanks for posting the link to the clip from Who Killed Gail Preston. The prison-themed nightclub had me chuckling even through Rita Hayworth's shooting. I don't know what was funnier: the band and waitresses wearing prison-striped garb, the patrolling guards or the VIPs sitting at cocktail tables behind bars. Priceless.

Capuchin, how ridiculously good you are! I love all the plays on "if TCM programmers were on other networks" (great excuse to schedule one of my favorite musicals of al time, HOW TO SUCCEED). Plus showing two of my favorite Christmas movies in June is awesome (CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT and SCROOGE-- my favorite version of that tale). Plus I thought it was quite innovative, as it were, to show a silent version of OLIVER TWIST instead of going for either of the two famous ones. And Basil Rathbone as SOTM will be tough to beat for my vote. It would be cool if TCM used him: you could have one whole night for his Sherlock movies and another for his swashbuckling movies. Great choice. All Hail Character Actors!

Working on mine as we speak...

Quick question-- do the four Columbia premieres have to all be in your special Columbia programming section, or can they be scattered around?

December 23 to December 29, 2012

Star of the Month: Max von Sydow

Columbia Tribute Night: Thursday, December 27, 2012

Sunday December 23, 2012

06:00 AM House (1977) Toho C-88 min Kimiko Ikegami, Yoko Minmada D:Nobohiko Obayashi P/S

07:30 AM My Neighbor Totoro (1988) Toho C-86 min Chika Sakamoto, Noriko Hidaka D: Hayao Miyazaki P/S

09:00 AM The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums (1939) Shochiku Eiga BW-143 min Shotaro Hanayagi, Kakuko Mori, D: Kenji Mizoguchi Premiere #1

11:30 AM Rashomon (1950) Daiei BW-88 min Takashi Shimada, Toshiro Mifune D: Akira Kurosawa P/S

01:00 PM Tokyo Story (1953) Shochiku BW-136 min Chishu Ryu, Chieko Higashiyama, Setusko Hara D; Yasujiro Ozu P/S

03:30 PM Sansho the Baliff (1954) Daiei BW-125 min Kinuyo Tanaka, Yoshiaki Hanayagi D: Kenji Mizoguchi P/S

05:45 PM Floating Clouds (1955) Toho BW-123 min Hideko Takamine, Masayuki Moro D; Mikio Naruse Premiere #2

08:00 PM Ran (1985) Toho C-161 min Tatsuya Nikadi, Miede Harada D: Akira Kurosaws P/S

10:45 PM Grave of the Firefiles (1988) Studio Ghibli C-93 min Tsutomu Tatumi, Ayano Shiraishi, D: Isao Takahata P/S

12:30 AM (Silent) I was born, but... (1932) Shochiku BW-100 min Tatsuo Saito, Tamio Aoki, Hideo Sugawara D: Yasujiro Ozu P/S

02:15 AM (Foreign) Branded to Kill (1967) Nikkatsu BW-98 min Joe Shishido, Koji Nanbara D: Seijun Suzuki EXEMPT

04:00 AM (Foreign) Sonatine (1993) Shouchiku Daichi Kougyo C-94 min Beat Takeshi, Aya Kokumai D: Takeshi Kitano EXEMPT

Monday, December 24, 2012

05:45 AM The Innocents (1961) 20th Century Fox BW-100 min Deborah Kerr, Martin Stephens, Michael Redgrave D: Jack Clayton P/S

07:30 AM The Thin Man (1934) MGM BW-93 min William Powell, Myrna Loy D: W.S. Van Dyke P/S

09:15 AM The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) RKO BW-88 min Joseph Cotton, Agnes Moorhead, Tim Holt D: Orson Welles P/S

10:45 AM The Ascent (1977) Mosfilm BW-111 min Boris Plotnikov, Vladimir Gostyukhin D: Larisa Shepitko P/S

12:45 PM The Shop Around the Corner MGM BW-97 min James Stewart, Margaret Sullavan, Frank Morgan D; Ernest Lubitsch P/S

02:30 PM The Lemon Drop Kid (1951) Paramount BW-91 min Bob Hope, Marilyn Maxwell D; Sidney Lanfield P/S

04:15 PM The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (1944) Paramount BW-99 min Betty Hutton, Eddie Bracken D: Preston Sturges P/S

06:00 PM Little Women (1933) RKO BW-115 min Katherine Hepburn, Joan Bennett, Paul Lukas D: George Cukor P/S

08:00 PM (Star of the month Max von Sydow) The Seventh Seal (1957) Svensk Filmindustrei BW-96 min Max von Sydow, Gunnar Bjornstrand, Bengt Ekerot D: Ingmar Bergman P/S

09:45 PM Hannah and Her Sisters (1986) Orion C-106 min Woody Allen, Mia Farrow, Michael Caine, Dianne Wiest, Max von Sydow D: Woody Allen P/S

11:45 PM The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965) United Artists C-260 min Max von Sydow, Charleton Heston D: George Stevens P/S

04:15 PM Europa (AKA Zentropa) (1991) Nordisk C/BW-113 min Max von Sydow, Jean-Marc Barr, Barbara Sukowa, Eddie Constantine Premiere #3

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

06:15 AM Scrooge (1951) United Artists BW-86 min Alastair Sim, Mervyn Jones D: Brian Desmond Hurst P/S

07:45 AM Holiday (1938) Columbia BW-95 min Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn D: George Cukor P/S

09:30 AM Miracle on 34th Street (1947) 20th Century Fox BW-96 min Maureen O'Hara, Edmund Gwenn, Natalie Wood D: George Seaton P/S

11:15 AM Our Vines Have Tender Grapes (1945) MGM BW-106 min Edward G. Robinson, Margaret O'Brien D: Roy Rowland P/S

01:15 PM The Immigrant (1917) Mutual Film Corp BW-20 min Charles Chaplin, Edna Purviance D: Charles Chaplin P/S

01:45 PM The Gold Rush (1925) United Artists BW-82 min Charles Chaplin, Georgia Hale D: Charles Chaplin P/S,

03:15 PM The Circus (1928) United Artists BW-73 min Charles Chaplin, Merna Kennedy D: Charles Chaplin P/S

04:30 PM City Lights (1931) United Artists BW-82 min Charles Chaplin, Virginia Cherrill D: Charles Chaplin P/S

08:00 PM Make Way for Tomorrow (1937) Paramount BW-92 min Victor Moore, Beulah Bondi D; Leo McCarey P/S

09:45 PM Meet me in Saint Louis (1944) MGM C-113 min Judy Garland, Margaret O'Brien D: Vincente Minneli P/S

11:45 PM The Long Day Closes (1992) British Film Institute C-85 min Marjorie Yates, Leigh McCormichk D:Terrence Davies Premiere #4

01:45 AM Fanny and Alexander (1982) Svenka Filminstitutet C-188 min Bertil Guve, Erland Josephon Gunn Wallgren D: Ingmar Bergman P/S

04:30 AM Conquest of the Pole (1912) Pathe Freres BW-31 min George Melies, Fernande Albany D: Georges Melies P/S

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

05:15 AM The Man Who Came To Dinner (1942) WB BW-112 min Bette Davis, Monty Woolley, Billy Burke. D: William Keighley P/S

07:15 AM Doctor Zhivago (1965) MGM C-200 min Omar Shariff, Julie Christie, Alec Guiness D: David Lean P/S

10:45 AM The Bells of St. Mary's (1945) RKO BW-126 min Bing Crosby, Ingrid Bergman D: Leo McCarey P/S

01:00 PM The Flowers of Saint Francis (1950) Cineriz BW-83 min Aldo Fabrizi, Severino Pisacane D: Roberto Rosselini P/S

02:30 PM Diary of a Country Priest (1951) Union Generale Cinematographique BW-115 min Claude Laydu, Jean Riveyre, Rachel Berendt, D: Robert Bresson P/S

04:30 PM Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) Orion C-104 min Woody Allen, Martin Landau, Mia Farrow D: Woody Allen P/S

06:15 PM A Taste of Cherry (1997) Kanoon C-95 min Homayon Ershadi, Abdolrahman Bagheri D: Abbas Kiarostami P/S

08:00 PM The More the Merrier (1943) Columbia BW-104 min Jean Arthur, Joel McCrea, Charles Coburn D: George Stevens P/S

10:00 PM The Shining (1980) Warner Bros C-144 min Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall, Scatman Crothers D: Stanley Kubrick Premiere#5

12:30 AM Bullitt (1968) Warner Bros C-113 min Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn D: Peter Yates P/S

02:30 AM The Ex-Mrs. Bradford (1936) BW-82 min William Powell, Jean Arthur D: Stephen Roberts P/S

04:00 AM The Absent Minded Professor (1961) Walt Disney BW-97 min Fred MacMurray, Nancy Olson D: Robert Stevenson P/S

Thursday, December 27, 2012

05:45 AM Conflict (1945) Warner Bros BW-87 min Humphrey Bogart, Syndey Greenstreet, Alexis Smith D: Curtis Bernhardt P/S

07:15 AM The Barkleys of Broadway (1949) MGM C-109 min Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Oscar Levant D: Charles Waters P/S

09:15 AM The Maltese Falcon (1941) Warner BW-101 min Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Syndey Greenstreet, D: John Houston P/S

11:00 AM The Band Wagon (1953) MGM C-113 min Fred Astaire, Cyd Charisse, Oscar Levant D: Vincente Minnelli P/S

01:00 PM Morocco (1930) Paramount BW-82 min Marlene Dietrich, Gary Cooper, Adolphe Menjou D: Josef von Sternberg P/S

02:30 PM The Blue Angel (1930) UFA BW-103 min Marlene Dietrich, Emil Jannings D: Josef von Sternberg P/S

04:15 PM The Scarlet Empress (1934) Paramount BW-110 min Marlene Dietrich, John Lodge, Sam Jaffe D: Josef von Sternberg P/S

06:15 PM Angel (1937) Paramount BW-91 min Marlene Dietrich, Herbert Marshall, Melvyn Douglas, Edward Everett Horton D: Ernst Lubitsch P/S

08:00 PM M (1951) Columbia BW-88 min David Wayne, Howard Da Silva D: Joseph Losey EXEMPT

09:45 PM Tess (1979) Columbia C-186 min Natassja Kinski, Peter Firth D: Roman Polanski EXEMPT

01:00 AM Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) Columbia C-128 min Gary Oldman, Winona Ryder, Anthony Hopkins D: Francis Ford Coppola EXEMPT

03:15 AM Punch-Drunk Love (2002) Columbia C-95 min Adam Sandler, Emily Watson D: Paul Thomas Anderson EXEMPT

05:00 AM Groundhog Day (1993) Columbia C-101 min Bill Murray, Andie MacDowell D: Harold Ramis P/S

Friday, December 28, 2012

06:45 AM The Thing from Another World (1951) BW-87 min Kenneth Tobey, Margaret Sheridan, James Arness D: Christian Nyby, Howard Hawks P/S

08:15 AM Johnny Belinda (1948) Warner Bros BW-102 min Jane Wyman, Lew Ayres D: Jean Negulesco P/S

10:00 AM All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) Universal BW-138 min Louis Wolheim, Lew Ayres D: Lewis Milestone P/S

12:30 PM 2046 (2004) Mei Ah C-129 Tony Leung, Gong Li, Faye Wong D: Wong Kar-Wai Premiere#6

02:45 PM The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) Touchstone C-75 min Danny Elfman, Chris Sarandon, Catherine O'Hara D: Henry Selick P/S

04:00 PM The Mirror (1975) Mosfilm C/BW-107 min Margarita Terekhova, Ignat Danitsev, Larisa Tarkoskaya, Anatoli Solonitsyn, D: Andrei Tarkovsky P/S

06:00 PM Phantom (1922) Decla-Bioscop BW-117 min Alfred Abel, Grete Berger D: F.W. Murnau P/S

08:00 PM Sunrise (1927) Fox BW-95 min George O'Brien, Janet Gaynor, Margaret Livingstone D: F.W. Murnau P/S

09:45 PM Tabu (1931) Paramount BW-84 min Mahati, Anne Chevalier, D: F.W. Murnau Premiere#7

11:15 PM The Haunted Castle (1921) Uco Bw-70 min Alfred Korf, Lulu Kyser-Korf D: F.W. Muranu P/S

12:30 AM Nosferatu (1922) Film Arts Guild BW-94 min Max Schreck, Gustav von Wagenhim, Great Schroeder D: F. W. Murnau P/S

02:15 AM (Underground) Manoel on the Island of Marvels (1985) Rita Films C-130 min Amanda Bacelar, Isabel Branco, Jose de Freitas D: Raul Ruiz EXEMPT

04:30 AM (Underground) Je t'aime, Je t'aime (1968) Europa Fox C-91 min Claude Rich, Olga Georges-Picot, Anouk Ferjac D: Alain Resnais EXEMPT

Saturday, December 29, 2012

06:15 PM Mr. Hulot's Holiday (1953) Discina Films BW-114 min Jacques Tati, Nathalie Pascaud D: Jacques Tati P/S

08:15 PM Spirited Away (2001) Studio Ghibli C-124 min Rumi Hiiragari, Miyu Irino D: Hayao Miyazaki P/S

10:30 PM Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967) Universal C-138 min Julie Andrews, Mary Tyler Moore, James Fox D: George Roy Hill P/S

01:00 PM That's Entertainment! (1974) MGM C-135 min D: Jack Haley, Jr., P/S

03:16 PM One Real Wonders Just one More Time (1974) C-9 min P/S

03:30 PM That's Entertainment! Part II (1976) MGM c-129 min Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly D: Gene Kelly P/S

05:45 PM That's Entertainment! III (1994) MGM C-120 min Gene Kelly, Lena Horne, June Allyson D: Bud Freidgen, Michael J. Sheridan P/S

07:48 PM One Real Wonder, we must have Music (1941) BW-11 min P/S

08:00 PM (Essentials) Scenes from a Marriage (1974) Cinematograph AB C-168 min Liv Ullmann, Erland Josephson D: Ingmar Bergman P/S

11:00 PM Distant Voices, Still Lives (1988) British Film Institute C-85 min Pete Postelthwaite, Freda Dowie, Lorraine Ashbourne D: Terrence Davies Premiere#8

12:30 AM A Day in the Country (1936) Pantheon Productions BW-40 min Sylvia Bataille, Georges D'Arnoux, Jane Marken D: Jean Renoir P/S

01:15 AM Mother and son (1997) Severny Fond C-70 min Alexei Ananishnov, Gudrun Geyer D: Alexander Sokurov Premiere#9

02:30 AM The Mother and the **** (1973) Elite Films BW-210 min Jean-Pierre Leaud , Bernadette Lafont, Francois Lebrun, D: Jean Eustache Premiere #10

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}Quick question-- do the four Columbia premieres have to all be in your special Columbia programming section, or can they be scattered around?

LP, they need to be used in your special programming evening. If you only use three premieres, you can't transfer the unused Columbia premiere to another day. Likewise, if you are doing a Columbia evening of more than four Columbia films, only four of them can be exempt premieres. Good luck on your schedule!

Explanation:

After having done all day tributes first for French movies, them Italian ones, I believed that Japan deserved a try. Sunday is the Emperor's birthday, and I thought Japanese movies were more deserving of a tribute than the Japanese royal house. I didn't want to start the day with one of my premieres, so the first two movies are chronologically later than it. After it, we proceed chronologically until we get to our Sunday Silents.

Monday-The movies until the evening deal with such Christmas themes as snow, or events that take place on or near Christmas eve. The Innocents is there because The Turn of the Screw is actually a story told on Christmas Eve. Then we have four movies from star of the month Max von Sydow.

Tuesday-More movies on or about Christmas. We also have a Chaplin afternoon to comemorate the 35th anniversary of his death. Then for the evening we have four particular movies about families, with a Melies movie about the North Pole rounding out the evening.

Wednesday-We start off with such Christmas themes as guests who don't leave and enormous amounts of snow. Then we have five movies dealing with religious themes. Just to make sure that TCM isn't only for Christians, we have Woody Allen pondering an unjust universe and several Muslims pondering the morality of suicide. December 26/Boxing Day is also the feast of Saint Stephen, the first Christian martyr (and by a complete coincidence, the name of my brother). So we have movies by directors George Stevens and Stephen Roberts, as well as one starring Steve McQueen. Having Stella Stevens in The Nutty Professor would be an obvious option, but why not choose Robert Stevenson's The Absent Minded Professor instead. Last but not least, we have the only great film made from a Stephen King novel, The Shining which brings us to back to another winter theme, Snow!

Thursday-It's brithday time as we start off with movies for birthday boys Sydney Greenstreet and Oscar Levant, and then for birthday girl Marlene Dietrich. Then it's our Columbia tribute night.

Friday-We start off with another extremely rude winter guest, then we have two movies from birthday boy Lew Ayres. We then have two movies which involve Christmas celebration, another movie involving snow, and then a five movie tribute to birthday boy director F.W. Murnau.

Saturday-What better way to deal with the holiday season than the best movie about being on holiday? We then have a classic animated movie, and then a movie from birthday girl Mary Tyler Moore. TCM usually has the That's Entertainment! sometime around this year, and who am I to disagree? Finally for this evening we have five particularly powerful movies about family and love.

Great schedule, skimpole!

I like the mixture of genres from Japan (and I know someone who'll love it). The movies I'm familiar with are all great, and the directors of the others promise great things.

Max von Sydow is an inspired choice for SOTM.

Friday is my favorite day. *The Nightmare Before Christmas* followed by *The Mirror* would be very interesting!

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

> Capuchin, how ridiculously good you are!

Thanks!

> Plus I thought it was quite innovative, as it were, to show a silent version of OLIVER TWIST instead of going for either of the two famous ones.

It's too often overlooked. I didn't want to choose only movies which are already shown frequently.

> And Basil Rathbone as SOTM will be tough to beat for my vote.

TCM has, it seems to me, been showing a lot more of his other movies (other than Sherlock, that is) recently, so it seemed a natural.

Hope yours is coming along well.

I'm probably shooting myself in the foot for mentioning this, but if anyone wants to use IMDB's Advanced Search to look for movies from Columbia Pictures, you can select Sony as the studio (it doesn't have the option for Columbia).

They own several other studios' libraries, so it'll return some movies you can't use, but it's the only way I know to narrow the search of their database.

Capuchin and Skimpole have set the bar high for us. Congratulations, guys. Capuchin has never done a schedule that wasn't witty, and Skimpole always schedules films I'd like to see.

I'm still chuckling at THE MOTHER AND THE **** as a film for Christmas week. I once scheduled it for Mother's Day. Because this is 1) a great film 2) not available on DVD, this would be a terrific choice for TCM Imports or TCM Underground, and we could record all three and a half hours of it.