Sign in to follow this  
countessdelave

The 22nd TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE: HAIL COLUMBIA

91 posts in this topic

skimpole,

Wonderful job! I really admired the Japanese film schedule on Sunday and your SOTM, Max von Sydow. What a talented actor he is. He'd be a great choice. You choose many foreign films and I hope that the Programmers will consider some of your suggestions.

Hello Countessdelave, and everyone else involved in this.

I've been a member on the TCM CFU site for a few years now, although I have not been a very active member and this is my first time ever posting anything on this message forum, although I've often read a few things here in the past. This programming challenge caught my attention a few nights ago and it sounded like fun so I thought I might throw my 2 cents into the mix. I started putting together a schedule and I must concede to the fact that it is much more difficult than it would seem. The actual TCM programmers deserve much more credit than they have been getting, for the most part, on these message boards. It's not as easy as it looks!

Since I am new to this, I do have a few questions I would like to ask.

1. Is the TCM Essentials movie exempt from the premieres?

2. If I should schedule an additional import movie after the first import on Sunday night, as TCM often does, would that film be exempt also?

3. I would like to have a special guest co-host join Robert on one evening for a special event. It is someone who is very much connected with TCM. Is that allowable?

4. Are the Star of the Month films exempt in regards to premieres?

5. A film or documentary produced by Turner Entertainment Company would be considered exempt?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. Sorry for all of the questions at once. Thanks again.

I'm not the Challenge Setter (the person who posts the challenge sets all the rules for that challenge), so I can only give generalized answers.

> {quote:title=B-BOOP wrote:}{quote}

> 1. Is the TCM Essentials movie exempt from the premieres?

It usually isn't, and I don't see an exception to that this time.

> 2. If I should schedule an additional import movie after the first import on Sunday night, as TCM often does, would that film be exempt also?

I think, technically, it shouldn't be. On the other hand, a lot of people have done it, and no one's called for their head. The challenge is more about creativity than nit-picking.

If it was me, I'd just make sure the second was a really great movie that no one could object to.

> 3. I would like to have a special guest co-host join Robert on one evening for a special event.

Guest programmers have been a staple of the challenges, so a co-host shouldn't be a problem. (I'm interested in seeing what you have in mind.)

> 4. Are the Star of the Month films exempt in regards to premieres?

SOTMs are usually not exempt, and I don't see anything in this challenge's rules to make them so.

> 5. A film or documentary produced by Turner Entertainment Company would be considered exempt?

Probably not, but a lot of them have been shown on TCM at one time or another. Check TCMdb to see if there's a TCM article about it (if there's an article, it's definitely been on).

> I started putting together a schedule and I must concede to the fact that it is much more difficult than it would seem.

If it's a matter of fitting it together, people have used graph paper or cut strips of paper (length of strip relates to length of movie) to make it easier.

Personally, I use a CAD program, so moving things around and adding or removing movies is all done by mouse.

Good luck!

Hello B-Boop and welcome to the Challenge thread.

I'm delighted that you'd like to try a schedule and yes, you do appreciate what the actual TCM Programmers go through to produce a month's schedule after you attempt one yourself.

>

> Since I am new to this, I do have a few questions I would like to ask.

>

> 1. Is the TCM Essentials movie exempt from the premieres?

>

> 2. If I should schedule an additional import movie after the first import on Sunday night, as TCM often does, would that film be exempt also?

>

> 3. I would like to have a special guest co-host join Robert on one evening for a special event. It is someone who is very much connected with TCM. Is that allowable?

>

> 4. Are the Star of the Month films exempt in regards to premieres?

>

> 5. A film or documentary produced by Turner Entertainment Company would be considered exempt?

>

> Thanks in advance for any guidance. Sorry for all of the questions at once. Thanks again.

Here are some answers. 1) The Essentials is not exempt. 2) Only one film is technically scheduled for TCM Import (although you may wish to add more imports to your schedule). Therefore only one film is exempt for the Import. 3) As I did not specify that a special guest is not allowed, I see no reason to nix it. In fact, it sounds like fun to me. Go ahead. 4) SOTM films are not exempt in Challenges. Most folks will use their premieres or an exempt Import or an exempt silent (on a Sunday night). Technically, you can use your one night of four Columbia exempt films for a SOTM. You just need to pick a star who made enough films at Columbia. 5) a film or documentary produced by Turner is fine as long as it's been on TCM. If it was made for a sister channel (like TBS), it would not be exempt.

I hope that helps and I thank Capuchin for also stepping in to help answer some of your questions. All of us are here to encourage you. It's always fun to have someone new join the Challenge.

Greetings and thanks for the welcoming. Thank you Countessdelave and Capuchin for answering my questions. I really do appreciate it and that clears a few things up for me. As you might have guessed, my problem lies in the amount of premieres being limited to 10 while trying to figure out if a certain film has been shown before or not. I think only a small percentage of the films that have been shown actually have one of those programming articles written about them. By the way, if nobody has ever mentioned this before, and someone probably has, another possible way of finding if a movie has been shown before or not is by scanning the user reviews. Often, people will write stuff like "thanks tcm for showing this one" or "hope you will show this one again soon" or "I missed the beginning when you showed this last night" etc etc. Thanks again for the help and I'll get back to work on my schedule tomorrow hopefully.

B

> my problem lies in the amount of premieres being limited to 10 while trying to figure out if a certain film has been shown before or not.

If you can get it down to a reasonable number, I can search some for you (I have schedules going back to 2005). It'll help if you put each one on a separate line, and include the date (to avoid confusion about different movies with the same title).

So, skimpole, your schedule made me happy-- seeing TOTORO, RASHOMON, and GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES right off the bat, for one thing. Then lots of awesome movies throughout. Great way to do Christmastime. Great having a foreign film for the Essentials. Yay.

By the way, Moderator, my Columbia tribute was too long for an evening, so instead it's daytime. Hope that's okay. I think when you see the list of films, you'll see why I couldn't narrow it down.

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

> By the way, Moderator, my Columbia tribute was too long for an evening, so instead it's daytime. Hope that's okay. I think when you see the list of films, you'll see why I couldn't narrow it down.

LP,

Although I did specify evening, my goal was to have a block of Columbia films together. Therefore, I would like to be flexible on this point. That means if anyone else wants to do their Columbia tribute during the daytime, I will say okay.

And, before I finalize and post my schedule, let's have the official ruling on MARY POPPINS. Yes we know it would be hard for TCM to ever get the rights, but for the purposes of the game, does it simply count as another Disney Live Action Film? Or shall we stay in reality and say "no dice"?

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}And, before I finalize and post my schedule, let's have the official ruling on MARY POPPINS. Yes we know it would be hard for TCM to ever get the rights, but for the purposes of the game, does it simply count as another Disney Live Action Film? Or shall we stay in reality and say "no dice"?

Lonesome,

I agree with you that it is unlikely that TCM would ever be allowed to show Mary Poppins on the channel. That being said, I do consider it to be a live action Disney film and should be allowed as a premiere in your schedule.

LonesomePolecat’s schedule:

*Week of January 13-19, 2013*

STAR OF THE MONTH : *George Sanders*

SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS : *Cyrano di Bergerac* (1925)

TCM IMPORTS : *Il Postino* (1994)

TCM UNDERGROUND: *Little Shop Of Horrors* (1986)

THE ESSENTIALS: *Lured* (1947)

PREMIERES:

1. *The Abductors* (1957)

2. *Carousel* (1956)

3. *The Daring Young Man* (1942)

4. *Goodbye, Charlie* (1964)

5. *Mary Poppins* (1965)

6. *Much Ado About Nothing* (1993)

7. *A New Leaf* (1971)

8. *Viva Max* (1969)

9. *What a Way to Go* (1964)

10. *What’s so Bad About Feeling Good?* (1968)

COLUMBIA PREMIERES:

1. *He Stayed for Breakfast* (1940)

2. *Say it with Sables* (1928)

3. *Submarine* (1928)

4. *Tales of Manhattan* (1942)

-----------------------SUNDAY, JANUARY 13, 2013-------------------

*A DICK VAN DYKE SHOW CAST REUNION*

6:00am: Morey Amsterdam (Buddy Sorrell) in *Beach Party* (1963) dir William Asher AIP 101min (p/s)

7:45am: SHORT: Rose Marie (Sally Rogers) in *Baby Rose Marie the Child Wonder* (1929) dir Bryan Foy, WB 8min

8:00am: Rose Marie (Sally Rogers) in *Top Banana* (1954) dir Alfred E Green UA 100min (p/s)

9:45am: Anne Morgan Guilbert (Millie Helper) *Viva Max* (1969) dir Jerry Paris (Jerry Helper), Columbia 93min PREMIERE

11:30am: Richard Deacon (Mel Cooley) in *The Young Philadelphians* (1959) dir Vincent Sherman WB 136min (p/s)

2:00pm: Carl Reiner (Alan Brady) in *The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!* (1966) dir Norman Jewison 126min MGM (p/s)

4:15pm: Mary Tyler Moore (Laura Petrie) in *What’s so Bad About Feeling Good?* (1968) dir George Seaton UNIVERSAL 94min PREMIERE

6:00pm: Dick Van Dyke (Rob Petrie) in *What a Way to Go* (1964) dir J Lee Thompson FOX 111min PREMIERE

*POETRY IN MOTION*

8:00pm *The Barretts of Wimpole Street* (1934) Norma Shearer & Fredric March, dir Sidney Franklin MGM 109min

10:00pm *The Petrified Forest* (1936) Leslie Howard & Bette Davis, dir Archie Mayo WB 82min (p/s)

11 :30pm *SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS: Cyrano di Bergerac* (1925) Pierre Magnier & Linda Moglia, dir Augusto Genina KINO 113min EXEMPT

1:30am *TCM IMPORTS: Il Postino* (1994) Mossimo Troisi & Philippe Noiret, dir Michael Radford Miramax 108min EXEMPT

----------------MONDAY JANUARY 14, 2013--------------------------

*HAIL COLUMBIA CHALLENGE*

*Tribute to Joseph Walker, Columbia’s Amazing Cinematographer*

3:30am *Mr Deeds Goes to Town* (1936) Gary Cooper & Jean Arthur, dir Frank Capra, Columbia 115min (p/s)

5:30am *Say it with Sables* (1928) Francis X Bushman & Helene Chadwick, dir Frank Capra, Columbia 70min COLUMBIA PREMIERE #1

6:15am *His Girl Friday* (1940) Cary Grant & Rosalind Russell, dir Howard Hawks, Columbia 92min (p/s)

8:00am *It Happened One Night* (1934) Clark Gable & Claudette Colbert, dir Frank Capra, Columbia 105min (p/s)

9:45am *Mr. Smith Goes to Washington* (1939) James Stewart & Jean Arthur, dir Frank Capra 131min

12:00pm *He Stayed for Breakfast* (1940) Loretta Young & Melvyn Douglas, dir Alexander Hall, Columbia 86min COLUMBIA PREMIERE #2

1:30pm *Platinum Blonde* (1931) Jean Harlow & Robert Williams, dir Frank Capra, Columbia 89min (p/s)

3:00pm *American Madness* (1932) Walter Huston & Pat O'Brien, dir Frank Capra, Columbia 75min (p/s)

4:15pm *Submarine* (1928) Jack Holt & Dorothy Revier, dir Frank Capra Columbia 103min COLUMBIA PREMIERE #3

6:00pm *Tales of Manhattan* (1942) George Sanders & Edward G Robinson, dir Julien Duvivier Columbia 118min COLUMBIA PREMIERE #4

*75th ANNIVERSARY of 1938*

8:00pm *You Can’t Take It With You* (1938) Jean Arthur & James Stewart, dir Frank Capra, Columbia 126min (p/s)

10:15pm *The Lady Vanishes* (1938) Margaret Lockwood & Michael Redgrave, dir Alfred Hitchcock, Gaumont /PD 96min (p/s)

12:00am *Bringing Up Baby* (1938) Cary Grant & Katharine Hepburn, dir Howard Hawks RKO 102min (p/s)

1:45am *The Adventures of Robin Hood* (1938) Errol Flynn & Olivia de Havilland, dir Michael Curtiz & William Keighley WB 102min (p/s)

3:30am *Angels With Dirty Faces* (1938) James Cagney & Pat O'Brien, dir Michael Curtiz WB 97min (p/s)

5:15am *The Dawn Patrol* (1938) Errol Flynn & Basil Rathbone, dir Edmund Goulding WB 103min (p/s)

7:00am *Jezebel* (1938) Bette Davis & Henry Fonda, dir William Wyler WB 105min (p/s)

-----------TUESDAY, JANUARY 15, 2013-----------------

*CELEBRATING THE LLOYD BRIDGES CENTENNIAL* (born January 15, 1913)

8:45am *The Rainmaker* (1956) Burt Lancaster & Katharine Hepburn, dir Joseph Anthony, Paramount 122min (p/s)

10:00am *Last of the Comanches* (1953) Broderick Crawford & Barbara Hale, dir Andre DeToth, Columbia 85min (p/s)

11:30am *A Walk in the Sun* (1946) Dana Andrews & Lloyd Bridges, dir Lewis Milestone, FOX 117min (p/s)

1:30pm *High Noon* (1952) Gary Cooper & Grace Kelly, dir Fred Zinnemann, UA 85min (p/s)

3:00pm *The Goddess* (1958) Kim Stanley & Lloyd Bridges, dir John Cromwell, Columbia 104min (p/s)

4:45pm *The Daring Young Man* (1942) Joe E Brown & Marguerite Chapman, dir Frank R Strayer, Columbia 73min PREMIERE

6:00pm *The Happy Ending* (1969) Jean Simmons & Shirley Jones, dir Richard Brooks UA 117min (p/s)

*OH TO BE A BOTANIST*

8:00pm *A New Leaf* (1971) Walter Matthau & Elaine May, dir Elaine May, Paramount 102 min PREMIERE

9:45pm *Five Came Back* (1939) Chester Morris & Lucille Ball, dir John Farrow 75min (p/s)

11:00pm *Ball of Fire* (1941) Gary Cooper & Barbara Stanwyck, dir. Howard Hawks, RKO, 112 min (p/s)

1:00am *Grand Illusion* (1937) Jean Gabin & Erich Von Stroheim, dir Jean Renoir, Criterion 114min (p/s)

---------------------WEDNESDAY JANUARY 16, 2013------------------------

*TAKE-YOUR-SON-OR-DAUGHTER-TO-WORK DAY*

3:00am *The Outsiders* (1983) C. Thomas Howell & Matt Dillon, dir Francis Ford Coppola WB 91min (p/s)

4:45am *Treasure of the Sierra Madre* (1948) Humphrey Bogart & Walter Huston, dir John Huston WB 126min (p/s)

7:00am *A Matter of Time* (1976) Liza Minnelli & Ingrid Bergman, dir Vincente Minnelli 97min (p/s)

8:45am *Strangers on a Train* (1951) Robert Walker & Patricia Hitchcock, dir. Alfred Hitchcock, WB, 101min (p/s)

10:30am *On Golden Pond* (1981) Henry & Jane Fonda, dir Mark Rydell, Universal 109min (p/s)

12:30pm *Red River* (1948) Harry Carey Sr & Jr, dir Howard Hawks & Arthur Rosson UA 133min (p/s)

2:45pm *Paper Moon* (1973) Ryan & Tatum O’Neal, dir Peter Bogdanovich, Paramount 102min (p/s)

4:30pm *The Abductors* (1957) Victor McLaglen & Gavin Muir, dir Andrew McLaglen FOX 80min PREMIERE

6:00pm *Much Ado About Nothing* (1993) Emma Thompson & Phyllida Law, dir Kenneth Brannagh, Samuel Goldwyn, 111min PREMIERE

*WELL OF COURSE THEY LOOK ALIKE*

8:00pm *The Whole Town’s Talking* (1935) Edward G Robinson & Jean Arthur, dir John Ford, Columbia 93min (p/s)

9:45pm *The Scapegoat* (1959) Alec Guinness & Bette Davis, dir Robert Hamer, MGM 93min (p/s)

11:30pm *Callaway Went Thataway* (1951) Howard Keel & Fred MacMurray, dir Norman Panama & Melvin Frank MGM 82min (p/s)

1:00am *The Great Dictator* (1940) Charlie Chaplin & Paulette Goddard, dir Charles Chaplin UA 126min (p/s)

3:15am *The Great Race* (1965) Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, Natalie Wood, dir. Blake Edwards WB, 160m (p/s)

---------------------THURSDAY JANUARY 17, 2013------------------------

*YOU CAN CON ME ANYTIME*

6:00am*How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying* (1967) Robert Morse & Michele Lee, dir David Swift, UA 122min (p/s)

8:15am *The Lady Eve* (1941) Barbara Stanwyck & Henry Fonda, dir Preston Sturges, Paramount 94min (p/s)

10:00am *The Sting* (1973) Robert Redford & Paul Newman, dir George Roy Hill, Universal, 129min (p/s)

12:15pm *Animal Crackers* (1930) The Marx Brothers & Margaret Dumont, dir Victor Heerman, Paramount 97min (p/s)

2:00pm *The Music Man* (1962) Robert Preston & Shirley Jones, dir Morton da Costa WB 150min (p/s)

4:30pm *Road to Morocco* (1942) Bing Crosby & Bob Hope, dir David Butler, Paramount 83min (p/s)

6:00pm *Goodbye, Charlie* (1964) Tony Curtis & Debbie Reynolds, dir Vincente Minnelli FOX 117min *PREMIERE*

*SESAME STREET IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY…*

8:00pm *1776* (1972) William Daniels & Howard Da Silva, dir Peter H Hunt, Columbia 142min (p/s)

10:30pm *8 ½* (1963) Marcello Mastroianni & Anouk Aimee, dir Frederico Fellini, Columbia 138min (p/s)

1:00am *M* (1931) Peter Lorre & Otto Wernick, dir Fritz Lang, Paramount 111min (p/s)

3:00am *-30-* (1959) Jack Webb & William Conrad, dir Jack Webb WB 96min (p/s)

---------------------------FRIDAY JANUARY 18, 2013-----------------------------

*CELEBRATING THE DANNY KAYE CENTENNIAL* (born January 18, 1913)

4:45am *The Court Jester* (1956) Danny Kaye & Glynis Johns, dir Melvin Frank & Norman Panama, Paramount 101min (p/s)

6:30am *Hans Christian Andersen* (1952) Danny Kaye & Farley Granger, dir Charles Vidor, Samuel Goldwyn 112min (p/s)

8:30am *Wonder Man* (1945) Danny Kaye & Virginia Mayo, dir Bruce Humberstone, Samuel Goldwyn 98min (p/s)

10:15am *The Inspector General* (1949) Danny Kaye & Walter Slezak, dir Henry Koster WB 102min (p/s)

12:00pm *The Secret Life of Walter Mitty* (1947) Danny Kaye & Virginia Mayo, dir Norman Z McLeod, Samuel Goldwyn 110min (p/s)

2:00pm *A Song is Born* (1948) Danny Kaye & Virginia Mayo, dir Howard Hawks, Samuel Goldwyn 113min (p/s)

4:00pm *Up In Arms* (1944) Danny Kaye & Dana Andrews, dir Elliott Nugent, Samuel Goldwyn, 105min (p/s)

5:45pm *White Christmas* (1954) Danny Kaye & Bing Crosby, dir Michael Curtiz, Paramount, 121min (p/s)

*SO I MARRIED A FEMME NOIR*

8:00pm *Leave Her to Heaven* (1945) Gene Tierney & Cornel Wilde, dir John M Stahl FOX 110min (p/s)

10:00pm *Double Indemnity* (1944) Barbara Stanwyck & Fred MacMurray, dir Billy Wilder, Paramount 107min (p/s)

12:00am *The Postman Always Rings Twice* (1946) Lana Turner & John Garfield, dir Tay Garnett, MGM 113min (p/s)

---------------SATURDAY JANUARY 19, 2013--------------------

*THE ART OF COLLABORATION: CINEMA’S GREAT SONGWRITING TEAMS*

Alan Menken & Howard Ashman

2:00am *TCM UNDERGROUND: Little Shop of Horrors* (1986) Rick Moranis & Ellen Greene, dir Frank Oz WB 94min (exempt)

Arthur Freed & Nacio Herb Brown

3:45am *Singin’ in the Rain* (1952) Gene Kelly & Donald O'Connor, dir Stanley Donen & Gene Kelly MGM 103min (p/s)

Alan Jay Lerner & Frederick Loewe

5:30am *Gigi* (1958) Leslie Caron & Louis Jourdan, dir Vincente Minnelli, MGM 115min (p/s)

George & Ira Gershwin

7:30am *Shall We Dance* (1937) Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers, dir Mark Sandrich, RKO 109min (p/s)

Jimmy Van Heusen & Sammy Cahn

9:30am *Robin and the 7 Hoods* (1964) Frank Sinatra & Dean Martin, dir Gordon Douglas, WB 123min (p/s)

Harry Warren & Al Dubin

11:45am *Gold Diggers of 1933* (1933) Ruby Keeler & Joan Blondell, dir Mervyn LeRoy WB 97min (p/s)

Jay Livingston & Ray Evans

1:30pm *The Lemon Drop Kid* (1951) Bob Hope & Marilyn Maxwell, dir Sidney Lanfield, Paramount 91min (p/s)

Richard & Robert Sherman

3:15pm *Mary Poppins* (1965) Julie Andrews & Dick Van Dyke, dir Robert Stevenson, Disney 139min PREMIERE

Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein II

5:45pm *Carousel* (1956) Gordon MacRae & Shirley Jones, dir Henry King FOX 128min PREMIERE

*STAR OF THE MONTH: GEORGE SANDERS*

8:00pm *THE ESSENTIALS: Lured* (1947) Lucille Ball & George Sanders, dir Douglas Sirk UA 102min (p/s)

9:45pm *Rebecca* (1940) Laurence Olivier & George Sanders, dir Alfred Hitchcock UA 130min (p/s)

12:00am *All About Eve* (1950) Bette Davis & George Sanders, dir Joseph Makiewicz, FOX, 138min (p/s)

2:30am *Foreign Correspondent* (1940) Joel McCrea & George Sanders, dir Alfred Hitchcock UA 120min (p/s)

4:30am *Hangover Square* (1945) Laird Cregar & George Sanders, dir John Brahm FOX 77min (p/s)

------------STATS---------------

1920s- 3

1930s- 21

1940s- 23

1950s- 19

1960s- 13

1970s- 5

1980s- 3

1990s- 2

LP's novel--I mean, notes:

*CELEBRATING THE LLOYD BRIDGES & DANNY KAYE CENTENNIALS*

Can you believe I found a week with TWO classic movie star centennials? Not just one, but two! Both Lloyd Bridges and Danny Kaye turn 100 this week in January 2013. Both are completely awesome in completely different ways. So I just had to pick this week. It was too good to pass up. Danny Kaye hasn’t been SOTM and should be, but I made him SOTM last time, so this was the perfect way to highlight one of my favorites.

*A Dick Van Dyke Show Cast Reunion*

We start off with a look at the cast of the classic DICK VAN DYKE SHOW. I’ve been wanting to do a tribute of his show for a while, partly because it was out 50 years ago, but mostly because the show rocks. With this set of films we can see that the show’s amazing cast was one of its greatest assets. All those awesome people in one TV show. One cast member, Jerry Paris, is featured as a director (directing his TV wife, Anne Morgan Guilbert) because this series kick-started his directing career. Rose Marie is shown both as she is in the DICK VAN DYKE SHOW and as Baby Rose Marie. Finally, out of all the movies the show’s headliner was in, I chose WHAT A WAY TO GO, partly because I always find a way to schedule this movie (call it a superstition or tradition, either one), but mostly because Dick Van Dyke is great in this. It shows off his genuine acting, his likeability, and especially his skills as a silent film comedian. It also highlights the talents of other ‘60s stars like Shirley MacLaine, Paul Newman, and Gene Kelly.

*Poetry in motion*

These are films that feature poetry and poets. Highlighted in this bunch is my import for the night, IL POSTINO (which won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film in 1995). This is hands down one of my favorite foreign films ever made—right up there with Kurosawa’s best for me. It’s a beautiful film in terms of music (Best Score 1995), acting, writing, cinematography (gorgeous Italian landscape), and poetry. It’s the story of a postman on a tiny Italian island whose one client is none other than Pablo Neruda. Everyone should watch it. Can’t say enough. The last poet in this section is Longfellow Deeds, who just happens to also fall in the next category…

*HAIL COLUMBIA CHALLENGE*

*Tribute to Joseph Walker, Columbia’s Amazing Cinematographer*

I used this challenge as an excuse to highlight one of Early Sound’s best cinematographers: Joseph Walker. This man is such a brilliant DP. At a time when other films looked stagey and horrible, his camera was free and his lighting was impeccable. Think of that gorgeous shot of Robert Williams kissing Jean Harlow through that very Art Deco fountain in PLATINUM BLONDE, or the African American guy taking his hat off to Abraham Lincoln in MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON, or the frightening run on the bank in AMERICAN MADNESS, or thousands of other memorable moments. He was Capra’s favorite DP, so this section is very thick with Capra’s best (I’m quite a Capra fan), and some of his lesser known films as well. I can’t believe there are Capra films, for example, that have never been shown on TCM before. Get on that, TCM.

*75th ANNIVERSARY of 1938*

Because one of Joseph Walker’s films, the best picture winner YOU CAN’T TAKE IT WITH YOU, is 75 years old, I had to highlight other great movies from that same year. Too many greats to list, so I took just a small sampling. The late 30s-early 40s were a wonderful time—one of the best—and must be celebrated, don’t you agree?

*Oh to be a Botanist*

These films feature botanists—an odd profession to have in a movie, but nonetheless interesting. A NEW LEAF has the funniest botanist: Elaine May. Great movie that she wrote and directed herself about Walter Matthau’s pursuit of a wife dumb enough to marry him after he loses his entire fortune.

*TAKE-YOUR-SON-OR-DAUGHTER-TO-WORK DAY*

We know there are many talented people in The Film Industry whose sons or daughters (or beyond) went on to make great careers of their own. (Not unlike our friend Lloyd Bridges.) But rarely do they work together in the same film. And when they do, I think it’s pretty nifty (and sometimes Oscar worthy). So these films are specifically ones in which a parent and child(ren) are all working together on the same project. Often they’re all actors (as with the O’Neals, Careys, Fondas, and Emma Thompson & her mom). And sometimes dad is the director (Hitchcock & Minnelli), or maybe Junior is directing Dad (McLaglen & Huston). But rarely do we get the feat we do in THE OUTSIDERS, which really should be subtitled: A COPPOLA PRODUCTION. We got Francis directing, we got most if not all of his kids working on the film in one way or another, and to make it even more special, Francis’ dad is writing the score. Three generations in one film. Oh the fights there must have been!

*Well, of course they look alike*

These films are all about random people and their doppelgangers—not relatives, but just look-alikes. They’re tales of “say, you look just like…” which lead to the doppelganger switching places with their famous counterpart. In all cases, both characters are played by the same person (that must have been so much fun), which leads me to say, “Well of course they look alike!”

*You Can Con Me Anytime*

Here we have a small sampling of cinema’s most likeable con artists. These are all swindlers, thieves, and crooks who are so likeable they make the seemingly straight-laced public root for them, laugh with them, and love them. If Robert Redford and Paul Newman lied in my face and I knew it, I’d probably still let them rob me blind. And if Robert Morse’s J Pierpont Finch was gunning for my job, I’d just give it to him. In the case of GOODBYE CHARLIE the liar is Debbie Reynolds who is a dead male jerk come back to life is a female’s body, and uses that to his/her advantage. I think it’s one of Debbie’s best performances, so here it is.

*SESAME STREET IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY…*

For those of you who don’t remember, Sesame Street, being privately funded, was always “brought to you by the letter E” or “the number 2”. So these are movies with only numbers or a single letter for a title. (I’m a child of the 80s—I have to tribute the Muppets somehow).

*SO I MARRIED A FEMME NOIR*

These three films involve Femme Noirs and people dumb enough to marry them. Then they have the nerve to be shocked when they get killed. Wow, really, people?

*THE ART OF COLLABORATION: CINEMA’S GREAT SONGWRITING TEAMS*

Because TCM has been doing these “Art of Collaboration” interviews, I decided to run with that idea and highlight great songwriting teams. Many tune writers and lyricists flitted about writing songs with different people, but these people stayed with their partners over multiple projects to great success. It must be tough to depend on someone to write half your song. Some teams wrote directly for the screen (from the early sound era to Disney’s heyday), some took Broadway by storm, and some wrote popular songs that were later put into films. Of course I picked films that included my favorites of their songs, although our TCM Underground pick LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS is actually the only one I can legally show (thanks, Ebenezer Disney). In the case of MARY POPPINS and CAROUSEL, I chose what I think to be the teams’ best scores overall. Many of these films also feature their respective teams’ Oscar-nominated or –winning songs. A special shout out to the Damon Runyon film THE LEMON DROP KID which, unbeknownst to many, features the first appearance of Livingston & Evans’ most recorded song: “Silver Bells.”

*STAR OF THE MONTH: GEORGE SANDERS*

Finally we end the night with our SOTM, George Sanders. How could this amazing Oscar-winning actor with one of the top 10 voices of all time never have been SOTM before? This guy ‘s films could easily be broken up into a whole evening of him as The Falcon, then The Saint, then the rest. What I have here are my favorite performances of his (except the one I can’t show: THE JUNGLE BOOK) which just happen to comprise of two Best Picture Winners, his Oscar-winning performance, a Hitchcock film, and two of the best Halloween movies. The reason I put the SOTM on a Saturday (which doesn’t really happen, but it wasn’t part of the rules!) was to make one of his films the Essentials. LURED blew my mind the first time I saw it. It’s a murder suspense film but I couldn’t predict who the killer was immediately! How cool is that? You really can’t tell until the film wants you to know. That is quite a feat. Plus it has a great cast. And for me, The Essentials is best when it highlights great films that many people haven’t even heard of let alone seen. So in this case it’s, “Okay, you’ve all seen REAR WINDOW and VERTIGO, so here’s a great not-so-famous thriller you need to see.”

And with that bizarre slogan, it is with a heavy heart that we say farewell to all our friends at the TCM Message Boards.

--LP

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but *Tales of Manhattan* is a Fox film.

(With the WC Fields sketch back in it, it also runs over 120 minutes. At least it did whenever it was on the Fox Movie Channel.)

Now if only TCM could get the rights to show it from Fox. It's really a movie that belongs in The Essentials. Sanders' story with Edward G. Robinson is excellent, as is Charles Laughton's story as a composer.

Great schedule, LonesomePolecat!

You Can Con Me Anytime and So I Married a Femme Noir are great.

I'd love to see *A New Leaf* and *Tales of Manhattan* on TCM.

I like casts of tv shows as a theme.

Botany is greatly underrepresented in movies. I'm glad you're bringing this slight to light.

Overall, it's a schedule I'd love to see TCM use.

> {quote:title=Fedya wrote:}{quote}I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but *Tales of Manhattan* is a Fox film.

>

Wow, it sure is. Leave it to Fedya to know something like that. Oh well. I still have a big block of Culumbia films for the challenge, and it's still a Joseph Walker film (which is how it got in the block in the first place). Plus it sounds like everyone wants it shown anyway, so maybe this mix-up of mine will call more attention to the film.

But I do have some Columbia film premieres so even with that one being fox, I still have a legal amount of premieres.

Sorry about that everyone! That's what I get for doing a schedule in a 110 degree heatwave.

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Fedya wrote:}{quote}I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but *Tales of Manhattan* is a Fox film.

> Wow, it sure is. Leave it to Fedya to know something like that. Oh well. I still have a big block of Culumbia films for the challenge, and it's still a Joseph Walker film (which is how it got in the block in the first place).

>

> But I do have some Columbia film premieres so even with that one being fox, I still have a legal amount of premieres.

LP,

What a great schedule! Many terrific films and themes and one of these days TCM will show A New Leaf, which is one very funny movie.

I must admit that I, like Fedya, instantly noticed the Tales of Manhattan inclusion as a Columbia film (instead of the Twentieth Century Fox film that it is). I love this film and agree that the two best sequences are the Laughton and Robinson ones. So, it's a great film choice but it doesn't fit into your Columbia programming unless you want to chuck another premiere and use this as a sort of stand alone film (which is still in your great tribute to Joseph Walker). You said that you have lots of other Columbias to choose from and remember that you can pick any Columbia shorts and their usage is exempt all week long. You can try to re-edit your schedule within the 24 hour-edit time OR you can simply post your changes before the 3rd of September. I will cull all of the pieces together in the voting thresd. Hopefully, this will be pretty simple for you after all of your hard work on an excellent schedule.

> > I must admit that I, like Fedya, instantly noticed the Tales of Manhattan inclusion as a Columbia film (instead of the Twentieth Century Fox film that it is). I love this film and agree that the two best sequences are the Laughton and Robinson ones. So, it's a great film choice but it doesn't fit into your Columbia programming unless you want to chuck another premiere and use this as a sort of stand alone film (which is still in your great tribute to Joseph Walker). You said that you have lots of other Columbias to choose from and remember that you can pick any Columbia shorts and their usage is exempt all week long. You can try to re-edit your schedule within the 24 hour-edit time OR you can simply post your changes before the 3rd of September. I will cull all of the pieces together in the voting thresd. Hopefully, this will be pretty simple for you after all of your hard work on an excellent schedule.

Yeah, both the Dick Van Dyke cast's VIVA MAX and the Lloyd Bridges premiere THE DARING YOUNG MAN are Columbia films. But they couldn't be moved into the Columbia block because, apart from not being Joseph Walker, they live where they do for very specific reasons, so they can't be used as the free Columbia premiere (as you had previously said those all had to be in the block). Unfortunately I had long passed the editing limit before I even read these comments. Although the easiest thing to do is just put in FLIGHT (1929) instead (it being the only awesome Joseph Walker/Columbia film of the same length), I don't really want to waste a premiere space or throw out TALES OF MANHATTAN since you all seem to love it (I actually chose it becuase it looked interesting--never heard of it before). If I used it as a stand alone premiere I would have to redo huge chunks of my schedule (I'm lucky I got the premieres down to 10). So I'll have to think about this in a week or two when the weather hopefully cools down and my brain works again.

What a ruckus I caused!

Edited by: LonesomePolecat on Aug 14, 2012 2:49 AM

Edited by: LonesomePolecat on Aug 14, 2012 2:52 AM

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:

> }{quote} Although the easiest thing to do is just put in FLIGHT (1929) instead (it being the only awesome Joseph Walker/Columbia film of the same length), I don't really want to waste a premiere space or throw out TALES OF MANHATTAN since you all seem to love it (I actually chose it becuase it looked interesting--never heard of it before). If I used it as a stand alone premiere I would have to redo huge chunks of my schedule (I'm lucky I got the premieres down to 10). So I'll have to think about this in a week or two when the weather hopefully cools down and my brain works again.

>

> What a ruckus I caused!

>

>

>

LP,

The last thing I'd want to do is work on a schedule in blistering heat. You have a great schedule and if you feel motivated to work on it later, that's great but I certainly understand how you feel right now. Here's to cooler weather...

My schedule is coming along Countess! Don't you hate that feeling when you know you want a specific title or theme but just can't think of it? So you end up going for an alternative? Hahah but regardless it's coming along... :D

Sunday June 2, 2013 Leo Gorcey death

44th anniversary of SOTM Leo Gorcey's departure.

06:00AM

Lucky Losers (1950). 70 minutes. Monogram Pictures. SOTM Leo Gorcey, The Bowery Boys, Hillary Brooke. D: William Beaudine. p/s

07:15AM

Pepe (1960). 195 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Cantinflas, Dan Dailey, Shirley Jones. D: George Sidney. p/s

10:45AM

Let's Get Tough (1942) 62 minutes. Monogram Pictures. SOTM Leo Gorcey, The East Side Kids. D: Wallace Fox. p/s no 'article' on TCMDB, but movie was previously shown 11/15/07.

Columbia Short Subjects one hour block

12:00PM

Money Squawks (1940). 18 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Andy Clyde, Shemp Howard. D: Jules White. exempt Columbia Short.

12:20PM

Three Little Pigskins (1934). 20 minutes Columbia Pictures Corp. The Three Stooges (Moe, Larry, Curley). D: Ray McCarey. exempt Columbia Short.

12:40PM

Where The Pest Begins (1945). 17 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Shemp Howard, Tom Kennedy. D: Harry Edwards. exempt Columbia Short.

01:00PM

Live Wires (1946). 65 minutes. Monogram Pictures. SOTM Leo Gorcey, The Bowery Boys. D: Phil Karlson. p/s

02:15PM

Boys Of The City (1940). 68 minutes. Monogram Pictures. SOTM Leo Gorcey, The East Side Kids. D: Joseph H. Lewis. p/s

03:30PM

Maisie Gets Her Man (1942). 86 minutes. MGM. SOTM Leo Gorcey, Ann Southern, Red Skelton. D: Roy Del Ruth. p/s

05:00PM

Dead End (1937). 93 minutes. Samuel Goldwyn. SOTM Leo Gorcey, The Dead End Kids, Humphrey Bogart, Joel McCrea, Sylvia Sidney. D: William Wyler. p/s

06:45PM

Crashing Las Vegas (1956). 62 minutes. United Artists. SOTM Leo Gorcey and The Bowery Boys. D: Jean Yarbrough. p/s

PRIMETIME

Essentials Jr.

08:00PM

It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963) 192 minutes original version. United Artists. SOTM Leo Gorcey, Spencer Tracy and Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Buddy Hackett, Ethel Merman, Mickey Rooney, Dick Shawn, Phil Silvers, Terry-Thomas, Jonathan Winters, Edie Adams, Dorothy Provine, Eddie 'Rochester' Anderson, Peter Falk. D: Stanley Kramer. p/s

TCM Silent Sunday

11:30PM

It's The Old Army Game (1926) 70 or 77 minutes. Paramount. W.C. Fields, Louise Brookes. D: A. Edward Sutherland. exempt silent Sunday.

TCM Imports

01:00AM

La Pupa Del Gangster (1975). 90 minutes. Campagnia Cinematografica Champion. Sophia Loren, Marcello Mastroianni. D: Giorgio Capitani. Exempt TCM Import

02:30AM

Ghosts - Italian Style (1967). 92 minutes. MGM. Sophia Loren, Vittorio Gassman. D: Renato Castellani. p/s

04:15AM

The Man From The Diners Club (1963). 96 minutes. Columbia Pictures. Danny Kaye, Cara Williams, Telly Savalas. D: Frank Tashlin. p/s no 'article' on TCMDB, but movie was previously shown 7/26/07.

Monday June 3, 2013 Leo Gorcey birth

96th anniversary of SOTM Leo Gorcey's arrival.

Francis (1950). 91 minutes. Universal International Pictures. Donald O'Connor, Chill Wills, Tony Curtis. D: Arthur Lubin. p/s

07:45AM

Fighting Fools (1949). 69 minutes. Monogram Pictures. SOTM Leo Gorcey, The Bowery Boys. D: Reginald LeBorg. p/s

09:00AM

Born To Sing (1942). 82 minutes. MGM. SOTM Leo Gorcey, Virginia Weidler. D: Edward Ludwig. Original TCM Library

10:30AM

Sunday Punch (1942). 76 minutes. MGM. SOTM Leo Gorcey, William Lundigan, Jean Rogers, Dan Dailey. D: David Miller. p/s

Jiggers My Wife (1946). 18 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Shemp Howard, Tom Kennedy. D: Jules White. Exempt Columbia Shorts.

The Taming Of The Snood (1940). 20 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Buster Keaton D: Jules White. Exempt Columbia Short.

Triple Crossed (1959). 16 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. The Three Stooges (Moe, Larry, Joe Besser). D: Jules White. Exempt Columbia Short.

Kid Dynamite (1943). 66 minutes. Monogram Pictures. SOTM Leo Gorcey, The East Side Kids. D: Wallace Fox. p/s

02:15PM

The Dead End Kids At Military School (1939). 62 minutes. Warner Bros. SOTM Leo Gorcey, The Dead End Kids. D: William Clemens. Original TCM Library.

03:30PM

Mr. Wise Guy (1942). 70 minutes. Monogram Pictures. SOTM Leo Gorcey, The East Side Kids, Billy Gilbert. D: William Nigh. p/s no 'article' on TCMDB, but movie was previously shown 11/15/07.

04:45PM

Destroyer (1943). 99 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. SOTM Leo Gorcey, Edward G. Robinson, Glenn Ford. D: William A Seiter p/s

06:30PM

Invisible Stripes (1939). 81 minutes. Warner Bros. SOTM Leo Gorcey, George Raft, William Holden, Humphrey Bogart. D: Lloyd Bacon. p/s

PRIMETIME

Out Of The Fog (1941). 85 Minutes. Warner Bros. SOTM Leo Gorcey, Ida Lupino, John Garfield. D: Anatole Vitvak. p/s

09:30PM

They Made Me A Criminal (1939) 92 minutes. Warner Bros. SOTM Leo Gorcey, The Dead End Kids, John Garfield, Claude Rains, Ann Sheridan. D: Busby Berkeley. p/s

11:15PM

Mannequin (1937) 95 minutes. MGM. SOTM Leo Gorcey, Spencer Tracy, Joan Crawford. D: Frank Borzage. p/s

Luv (1967). 93 minutes. Columbia Pictures. Jack Lemmon, Peter Falk, Elaine May. D: Clive Donner. p/s

02:45AM

Let No Man Write My Epitaph (1960). 105 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Shelly Winters, James Darren. D: Phillip Leacock. p/s

Zotz! (1962). 87 minutes. Columbia Pictures. Tom Poston, Jim Backus, Fred Clark. D: William Castle. p/s

Tuesday June 4, 2013 Rosalind Russell

106 anniversary of Rosalind Russell's arrival.

Craigs Wife (1936). 73 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Rosalind Russell, Billie Burke. D: Dorothy Arzner. p/s

His Girl Friday (1940). 92 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Rosalind Russell, Cary Grant. D: Howard Hawks. p/s

A Woman Of Distinction (1950). 85 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Rosalind Russell, Ray Milland, Edmond Gwenn. D: Edward Buzzell. p/s

10:30AM

Tell It To The Judge (1949). 87 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Rosalind Russell, Robert Cummings, Gig Young. D: Norman Foster. p/s

Columbia Short Subjects

Scheming Schemers (1956). 16 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. The Three Stooges (Moe, Larry, Shemp) D: Jules White. Exempt Columbia Short.

So You Won't Squawk (1941). 20 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Buster Keaton. D: Del Lord. Exempt Columbia Short.

Pick A Peck Of Plumbers (1944). 17 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Shemp Howard. D: Jules White. Exempt Columbia Short.

The Guilt Of Janet Ames (1947). 83 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Rosalind Russell, Melvyn Douglas, Sid Caesar. D: Henry Levin. p/s

02:30PM

She Wouldn't Say Yes (1945). 87 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Rosalind Russell, Lee Bowman. D: Alexander Hall. Premier #1

04:00PM

Five Finger Exercise (1962). 109 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Rosalind Russell, Jack Hawkins. D: Daniel Mann. p/s

06:00PM

The Trouble With Angels (1966). 112 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Rosalind Russell, Hayley Mills. D: Ida Lupino. p/s

PRIMETIME

Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows (1968). 93 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Rosalind Russell, Stella Stevens, Susan Saint James. D: James Neilson. p/s

09:45PM

My Sister Eileen (1942). 96 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Rosalind Russell, Brian Aherne, Janet Blair. D: Alexander Hall. p/s

Auntie Mame (1958). 143 minutes. Warner Bros. Rosalind Russell, Forrest Tucker. D: Morton DaCosta p/s

02:00AM

Roughly Speaking (145). 117 minutes. Warner Bros. Rosalind Russell, Jack Carson. D: Michael Curtiz. p/s

04:00AM

Mrs. Pollifax-Spy (1971). 110 minutes. United Artists. Rosalind Russell, Darrin McGavin, Nehemiah Persoff. D: Leslie H. Martinson p/s

Wednesday June 5, 2013 Ronald Reagan

9th Anniversary of Ronald Reagan's departure.

Clancy Street Boys (1943). 66 minutes. Monogram Pictures. SOTM Leo Gorcey, The East Side Kids. D: William Beaudine. p/s

Hellcats Of The Navy (1957). 82 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Ronald Reagan, Nancy Davis. D: Nathan Juran. p/s

08:45AM

That Hagen Girl (1947). 83 minutes. Warner Bros. Ronald Reagan, Shirley Temple. D: Peter Godfrey. p/s.

10:15AM

Storm Warning (1951). 93 minutes. Warner Bros. Ronald Reagan, Ginger Rogers, Doris Day. D: Stuart Heisler. p/s

Pardon My Berth Marks (1940). 20 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Buster Keaton. D: Jules White. Exempt Columbia Shorts.

Outer Space Jitters (1957). 17 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. The Three Stooges (Moe, Larry, Joe Besser) D: Jules White. Exempt Columbia Shorts.

Open Season For Saps (1944). 18 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Shemp Howard. D: Jules White. Exempt Columbia Short.

Kings Row (1942). 127 minutes. Warner Bros. Ronald Reagan, Ann Sheridan, Robert Cummings. D: Sam Wood. p/s

03:15PM

Million Dollar Baby (1941). 100 minutes. Warner Bros. Ronald Reagan, Priscilla Lane, Jeffery Lynn. D: Curtis Bernhardt. p/s

Hells Kitchen (1939). 82 minutes. Warner Bros. SOTM Leo Gorcey, The Dead End Kids, Ronald Reagan. D: Lewis Seiler, E.A. DuPont. p/s

06:30PM

The Girl From Jones Beach (1949). 78 minutes. Warner Bros. Ronald Reagan, Virginia Mayo, Eddie Bracken. D: Peter Godfrey. p/s

PRIMETIME

She's Working Her Way Through College (1952). 104 minutes. Warner Bros. Ronald Reagan, Virginia Mayo. D: H. Bruce Humberstone. p/s

10:00PM

Bedtime For Bonzo (1951). 83 minutes. Universal. Ronald Reagan. D: Frederick DeCordova. p/s

Angels Wash Their Faces (1939). 86 minutes. Warner Bros. SOTM Leo Gorcey, The Dead End Kids, Ronald Reagan, Ann Sheridan. D: Ray Enright. p/s

Bonzo Goes To College (1952). 80 minutes. Universal Pictures. Maureen O'Sullivan, Edmund Gwenn, Charles Drake. D: Frederick DeCordova Premier #2

02:30AM

So You Want To Be In Pictures (1947). 11 minutes. Warner Bros. George O'Hanlon, Jack Carson, Ronald Reagan. D: Richard L. Bare. Exempt Original TCM Library

02:45AM

Go West Young Lady (1941). 70 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Penny Singleton, Glenn Ford, Ann Miller. D: Frank R. Strayer. p/s

Africa Speaks -- English (1933) 11 minutes. Warner Bros. Edgar Bergen, Charlie McCarthy. D: Roy Mack. p/s no 'article' on TCMDB, but movie was previously shown 9/17/08.

Swing Your Lady (1938). 77 minutes. Warner Bros. Humphrey Bogart, Frank McHugh, Penny Singleton. D: Ray Enright. p/s

05:45AM

So You Want To Give Up Smoking (1942). 11 minutes. Warner Bros. George O'Hanlon. D: Richard L. Bare. Exempt Original TCM Library.

Thursday June 6, 2013 D-Day

69th anniversary of the G.I.'s arrival on Omaha Beach in Normandy.

Patton (1970). 172 minutes. 20th Century Fox Film Corp. George C. Scott, Karl Malden. D: Franklin Schaffner. p/s

36 Hours (1965). 115 minutes. MGM. James Garner, Eva Marie Saint, Rod Taylor. D: George Seaton. p/s

Columbia Short Subjects 75 minute block

11:00AM

You Natzy Spy (1940). 18 minutes. Columbia Pictures. The Three Stooges (Moe, Larry, Curley). D: Jules White. Exempt Columbia Short.

11:19AM

I'll Never Heil Again (1941). 18 minutes. Columbia Pictures. The Three Stooges (Moe, Larry, Curley). D: Jules White. Exempt Columbia Short.

11:37AM

Yankee Doodle Andy (1941). 18 minutes. Columbia Pictures. Andy Clyde, Tom Kennedy. D: Jules White. Exempt Columbia Short.

11:56AM

They Stooge To Conga (1943). 18 minutes. Columbia Pictures. The Three Stooges (Moe, Larry, Curley). D: Jules White. Exempt Columbia Short.

12:15PM

Prelude To War (1942). 52 minutes. Warner Bros Documentary Archive Footage. D: Frank Capra (uncredited), Anatole Litvak (uncredited). p/s

01:15PM

The Nazis Strike (1943). 41 minutes. Warner Bros Documentary Archive Footage. D: Frank Capra (uncredited), Anatole Litvak (uncredited). p/s

02:00PM

Divide And Conquer (1943). 57 minutes. Warner Bros Documentary Archive Footage. D: Frank Capra (uncredited), Anatole Litvak (uncredited). p/s

03:00PM

The Battle Of Britain (1943). 54 minutes. Warner Bros. Documentary Archive Footage. D: Frank Capra (uncredited), Anthony Veiller (uncredited). p/s

04:00PM

The Battle Of Russia (1943). 83 minutes. Warner Bros Documentary Archive Footage. D: Frank Capra (uncredited), Anatole Litvak (uncredited). p/s

05:30PM

The Battle Of China (1944). 65 minutes. Warner Bros Documentary Archive Footage. D: Frank Capra (uncredited), Anatole Litvak (uncredited). p/s

06:45PM

War Comes To America (1945). 70 minutes. Warner Bros Documentary Archive Footage. D: Frank Capra (uncredited), Anatole Litvak (uncredited). p/s

Saving Private Ryan (1998). 169 minutes. Paramount. Tom Hanks, Matt Damon. D: Steven Spielberg. p/s

PRIMETIME

The Longest Day (1962) 178 minutes. 20th Century Fox Film Corp. John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, Henry Fonda D: Ken Annakin, Andrew Marton, Bernhard Wicki, Darryl, F. Zanuck. p/s

11:15PM

The Great Dictator (1940). 125 minutes. Charles Chaplin Productions. Charlie Chaplin, Jack Oakie, Billy Gilbert. D: Charles Chaplin. p/s

01:30AM

Kelly's Heroes (1970). 144 minutes. MGM. Clint Eastwood, Telly Savalas, Don Rickles. D: Brian G. Hotton. p/s

To Be Or Not To Be (1942). 99 minutes. United Artists. Jack Benny, Carol Lombard. D: Ernst Lubitsch. p/s

05:45AM

Victory Quiz (1942) 9 minutes. MGM. Pete Smith. D: Will Jason. TCM's Original Library.

Friday June 7 2013 Dean Martin

96 anniversary of Dino's arrival.

Bells Are Ringing (1960). 126 minutes. MGM. Dean Martin, Judy Holiday. D: Vincente Minnelli. p/s

08:15AM

Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed? (1963). 103 minutes. Paramount. Dean Martin, Elizabeth Montgomery, Carol Burnett. D: Daniel Mann. p/s

10:00AM

Who Was That Lady? (1960). 115 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Dean Martin, Tony Curtis, Janet Leigh. D: George Sidney. p/s

No Dough Boys (1944). 17 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. The Three Stooges (Moe, Larry, Curley). D: Jules White. Exempt Columbia Short.

Home On The Rage (1938). 17 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Andy Clyde, Shemp Howard. D: Del Lord. Exempt Columbia Short.

The Spook Speaks (1940). 18 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Buster Keaton. D: Jules White. Exempt Columbia Short.

Hollywood Or Bust (1956). 95 minutes. Paramount. Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis. D: Frank Tashlin. Premier#3

02:45PM

How To Save A Marriage And Ruin Your Life (1968). 102 minutes. Columbia Pictures. Dean Martin, Stella Stevens, Eli Wallach, Anne Jackson. D: Fielder Cook. Exempt Columbia Title #1.

04:30PM

The Silencers (1966). 102 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Dean Martin, Stella Stevens, Daliah Lavi. D: Phil Karlson p/s

06:15PM

The Ambushers (1967). 102 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Dean Martin, Senta Berger, Janice Rule. D: Henry Levin. Exempt Columbis Title #2.

PRIMETIME

Murderers' Row (1966). 105 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Dean Martin, Ann-Margret, Karl Malden. D: Henry Levin. p/s

10:00PM

The Wrecking Crew (1968). 105 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. Dean Martin, Elke Summer, Sharon Tate. D: Phil Karlson Exempt Columbia Title #3.

TCM Underground

12:00AM

Gilda Live (1980). 96 minutes. Warner Bros. Gilda Radner, Don Novello. D: Mike Nichols. exempt Underground feature.

01:45AM

Kiss Me Stupid (1964). 125 minutes. Mirisch Corp. Dean Martin, Kim Novak. D: Billy Wilder p/s

Scarred Stiff (1953). 108 minutes. Paramount. Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis, Lizabeth Scott. D: George Marshall. p/s

Saturday June 8, 2013 Andrew Jackson

168th anniversary of Andrew Jackson's departure.

Mr.Destiny (1990). 110 minutes. Touchstone Pictures (Walt Disney live action). James Belushi, Linda Hamilton, Michael Caine. D: James Orr. Premier #4

08:00AM

It's A Wonderful Life (1946). 130 minutes. Liberty Films (Production), RKO Pictures (Distribution). Jimmy Stewart, Donna Reed, Lionel Barrymore. D: Frank Capra. Premier #5

10:15AM

The Final Countdown (1980). 103 minutes. United Artists. Kirk Douglas, Martin Sheen. D: Don Taylor. Premier #6

Boobs In Arms (1940). 18 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. The Three Stooges (Moe, Larry, Curley). D: Jules White. Exempt Columbia Short.

Rumpus In The Harem (1956). 16 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. The Three Stooges (Moe, Larry, Shemp). D: Jules White. Exempt Columbia Short.

12:45PM

Sappy Bull Fighters (1959). 16 minutes. Columbia Pictures Corp. The Three Stooges (Moe, Larry, Joe Besser). D: Jules White. Exempt Columbia Short.

Man Of Conquest (1939). 105 minutes. Republic Pictures.Edward Ellis, Richard Dix. D: George Nichol Jr. Premier #7

03:00PM

The Buccaneer (1938). 126 minutes. Paramount. Fredric March. D: Cecille B. DeMille. p/s

05:15PM

Lone Star (1952). 94 minutes. MGM. Clark Gable, Ava Gardner, Lionel Barrymore. D: Vincent Sherman. p/s

07:00PM

Private Screenings: Charlton Heston (1998). 59 minutes. TCM Original Production. Charlton Heston, Robert Osborne. D: Tony Barbon. p/s

PRIMETIME

Essentials

The Buccaneer (1958). 119 minutes. Paramount. Yul Brynner, Charlton Heston. D: Anthony Quinn. p/s

10:15PM

The Presidents Lady (1953). 96 minutes. 20th Century Fox Film Corp. Charlton Heston, Susan Hayward. D: Henry Levin. Premier #8

12:00AM

The Remarkable Andrew (1942). 81 minutes. Paramount Pictures. William Holden, Brian Donlevy. D: Stuart Heisler. Premier #9

01:30AM

Old Hickory (1939). 17 minutes. Warner Bros. Hugh Sothern. D: Lewis Seiler. TCM Original Library.

02:00AM

The Gorgeous Hussy (1936). 103 minutes. MGM. Lionel Barrymore, Joan Crawford, Robert Taylor. D: Clarence Brown. p/s

03:45AM

It's A Wonderful Life (colorized) (1946). 130 minutes. Paramount? Jimmy Stewart, Donna Reed, Lionel Barrymore. D: Frank Capra. Premier #10

Star Of The Month - Leo Gorcey

June 2nd - June 8th 2013

Theme - Arrivals & Departures

Sunday June 2nd Leo Gorcey Departing

Monday June 3rd Leo Gorcey Arriving

Tuesday June 4th Rosalind Russell Arriving

Wednesday June 5th Ronald Reagan Departing

Thursday June 6th Allied Forces Arriving

Friday June 7th Dean Martin Arriving

Saturday June 8th President Andrew Jackson Departing

Mini-Theme "What If" - What would life be like if ...?

Mr. Destiny (1990)

It's A Wonderful Life (1946)

The Final Countdown (1980)

It's A Wonderful Life - The Colorized Version

TCM Essentials Jr.

It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963)

TCM Silent Sunday Night

It's The Old Army Game (1926)

TCM Imports

La Pupa Del Gangster (1975) - Italy

TCM Underground Feature

Gilda Live (1980)

TCM Essentials

The Buccaneer (1958)

Special Features

1 hour block of Columbia Short Subjects from Noon to 1PM daily with the exception of June 6th where the War effort forced the Columbia Shorts to start an hour earlier and run 15 minutes longer.

Hail Columbia

Friday June 7th

Hail Columbia Premiers

How To Save A Marriage And Ruin Your Life (1968)

The Ambushers (1967)

The Wrecking Crew (1968)

Premiers

She Wouldn't Say Yes (1945)

Bonzo Goes To College (1952)

Hollywood Or Bust (1956)

Mr. Destiny (1990)

It's A Wonderful Life (1946)

The Final Countdown (1980)

Man Of Conquest (1939)

The Presidents Lady (1953)

The Remarkable Andrew (1942)

It's A Wonderful Life (1946) - colorized

Liberty Films produced It's A Wonderful Life and RKO had it's distribution

In 2006 Paramount created a colorized version of "It's' A Wonderful Life"

Titles with no 'Article' on TCM's DataBase but previously shown on TCM

Let's Get Tough (1942)

previously shown 11/15/07

The Man From The Diners Club (1963)

previously shown 7/26/07

Mr. Wise Guy (1942)

previously shown 11/15/07

Africa Speaks -- English (1933)

previously shown 9/17/08

Titles with no 'Article' on TCM's DataBase but part of TCM's original library

Born To Sing (1942) - MGM

The Dead End Kids At Military School (1939) - Warner Brothers

So You Want To Be In Pictures (1947) - Warner Brothers

So You Want To Give Up Smoking (1942) - Warner Brothers

Victory Quiz (1942) - MGM

Old Hickory (1939) - Warner Brothers

Edited by: aimalac on Aug 15, 2012 2:58 AM

Edited by: aimalac on Aug 15, 2012 3:57 AM

Sunday, August 11, 2013

*Born in Budapest*

6 am Ben-Hur (MGM, 1959) Charlton Heston; Music by *Miklos Rozsa* D: William Wyler 223 min.

10 am Watch On The Rhine (WB, 1943) *Paul Lukas* D: Herman Shumlin 112 min.

12 noon Judgement at Nuremberg (UA, 1961) Spencer Tracy; cinematography by *Ernest Laszlo* D: Stanley Kramer187 min.

3:15 pm I Confess (WB, 1953) Montgomery Clift; screenplay by *George Tabori* D: Alfred Hitchcock 95 min.

5:00 pm The Man From Beyond (Kino, 1922) *Harry Houdini* D: Burton L. King 68 min. PREMIERE

6:15 pm Queen of Outer Space (Allied Artists, 1958) *Zsa Zsa Gabor* D: Edward Bernds 80 min.

8:00 pm THE ESSENTIALS Casablanca (WB, 1942) Humphrey Bogart; D: *Michael Curtiz* 103 min.

10 pm The Wild One (Col., 1954) Marlon Brando; D: *Laslo Benedek* 80 min. p/s

11:30 pm SILENT SUNDAY NIGHT Lonesome (Univ., 1928) Barbara Kent; D: *Paul Fejos* 69 min.

12:45 am TCM IMPORTS The Shop On Main Street (Prominent Fiilms, 1968) Ida Kaminska; D: *Jan Kadar* 128 min. p/s

3 am A Farewell To Arms (Fox, 1957) Rock Hudson; D: *Charles Vidor* 159 min. PREMIERE

Cartoon: Bacall To Arms (WB, 1946) cartoon characters of Bogart and Bacall 8 min.

Monday , August 12, 2013

*Joan Davis*

6:00 am Show Business (RKO, 1944) Eddie Cantor, Joan Davis D: Edwin L. Marin 90 min.

7:30 am If You Knew Susie (RKO, 1948) Eddie Cantor, Joan Davis D: Gordon Douglas 91 min.

9:15 am Around the World (RKO, 1944) Kay Kyser, Joan Davis D: Allan Dwan 81 min.

*Ordering a Double-Double*

10:45 am The Man in the Iron Mask (UA, 1939) Louis Hayward D: Rowland V. Lee 110 min. p/s

12:45 pm Wonder Man (Samuel Goldwyn, 1945) Danny Kaye D: H. Bruce Humberstone 98 min. p/s

*In My Imagination*

2:30 pm The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Samuel Goldwyn, 1947) Danny Kaye D: Norman Z. McLeod 111 min. p/s

4:30 pm The Seven Year Itch (Fox, 1955) Marilyn Monroe, Tom Ewell D: Billy WIlder 105 min. p/s

6:30 pm Play It Again, Sam (Par., 1972) Woody Allen D: Herbert Ross 86 min. p/s

*Murder Made Merry*

8 pm Murder, He Says (Par., 1945) Fred MacMurray D: George Marshall 87 min. p/s

9:30 pm Murder By Death (Col., 1976) Peter Falk D: Robert Moore 95 min.p/s

11:15 pm Arsenic and Old Lace (WB, 1944) Cary Grant D: Frank Capra 119 min.

1:30 pm A Shot In The Dark (UA, 1964) Peter Sellers D: Blake Edwards 103 min. p/s

3:30 How To Murder Your Wife (UA, 1965) Jack Lemmon D: Richard Quine 119 min. p/s

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

*Forgotten All-Star Extravaganzas*

6:00 am Forever And A Day (RKO, 1943) Charles Laughton, Buster Keaton, Claude Rains D: Edmund Goulding, Cedric Hardwicke, Frank Lloyd, Victor Saville, Robert Stevenson, Rene Clair, Herbert Wilcox 105 min.

7:45 am Follow the Boys (Univ., 1944) George Raft, Orson Welles, Marlene Dietrich, W.C. Fields D: Eddie Sutherland 122 min. PREMIERE

10:00 am Duffy’s Tavern (Par., 1945) Bing Crosby, Dorothy Lamour, Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake D: Hal Walker 97 min. PREMIERE

*Janis Paige*

11:45 am Hollywood Canteen (WB, 1944) Dane Clark, Janis Paige D: Delmer Daves 124 min.

Short: I Won’t Play (WB, 1944) Dane Clark, Janis Paige D: Crane Wilbur 18 min.

2:15 pm Her Kind of Man (WB, 1946) Dane Clark, Janis Paige D: Frederick De Cordova 81 min.

3:45 pm The Time, The Place and the Girl (WB, 1946) Dennis Morgan, Jack Carson, Janis Paige D: David Butler 105 min.

5:45 pm Silk Stockings (MGM, 1957) Fred Astaire, Cyd Charisse, Janis Paige D: Rouben Mamoulian 118 min.

*Hail, Columbia: B-movie series*

8:00 pm Blondie (Col., 1938) Penny Singleton, Arthur Lake D:Frank R. Strayer 68 min.

Short: Disorder In The Court (Col., 1936) Three Stooges D: Jack White 16 min.

9:30 pm The Lone Wolf Spy Hunt (Col., 1939) Warren William D: Peter Godfrey 69 min.

Short: To Heir Is Human (Col., 1944) Una Merkel, Harry Langdon D: Harold Godsoe 20 min.

11:00 pm Meet Boston **** (Col. 1941) Chester Morris, Richard Lane D: Robert Florey 61 min,

Short: Two Nuts In A Rut (Col., 1948) Gus Schilling, Richard Lane D: Edward Bernds 19 min.

12:30 pm Crime Doctor (Col., 1943) Warner Baxter D: Michael Gordon 66 min.

Cartoon: Ragtime Bear (UPA/Col., 1949) Mr. Magoo (voice: Jim Backus)

Cartoon: The Fox and the Grapes (Col., 1941) Fox and the Crow (voices: Mel Blanc) 8 min.

2:00 am I Love A Mystery (Col., 1945) Jim Bannon D: Henry Levin 68 min.

Short: The Champs Step Out (Col. 1951) Max Baer and Max Rosenbloom D: Edward Bernds 18 min.

3:30 am The Whistler (Col., 1944) Richard Dix D: Wiliam Castle 59 min.

Short: So You Won’t Squawk (Col. 1941) Buster Keaton D: Del Lord 20 min.

5:00 am Ellery Queen, Master Detective (Col., 1940) Ralph Bellamy D: Kurt Neumann 58 min.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

*Columbia Recasting*

6 am Death of a Salesman – Alan Hale as Willy Loman, James Cagney as Biff, Una O’Connor as Linda Loman, Frank McHugh as Happy D: Elia Kazan 115 min.

8 am The Solid Gold Cadillac – Joan Crawford as the spokesperson for a large corporation D: Richard Quine 99 min.

10 am Lost Horizon (1962) Frank Sinatra, Julie Andrews, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr. D: Frank Capra 120 min.

12 noon On the Waterfront – Gary Cooper as dockworker/architect Terry, Jean Arthur as reporter Edie, Edward Arnold as governor Johnny Friendly D: Elia Kazan 108 min.

*Elissa Landi*

2:00 pm The Sign of the Cross (Par., 1932) Frederic March, Elissa Landi D: Cecil B. DeMille 125 min. p/s

4:15 pm The Count of Monte Cristo (UA, 1934) Robert Donat, Elissa Landi D: Rowland V. Lee 113 min. p/s

6:15 pm Enter Madame (Par., 1935) Cary Grant, Elissa Landi D: Elliot Nugent 83 min. PREMIERE

*STAR OF THE MONTH – Jane Wyatt*

8:00 pm We’re Only Human (RKO, 1935) Preston Foster, Jane Wyatt D: James Flood 68 min.

9:15 pm Lost Horizon (Col., 1937) Ronald Colman, Jane Wyatt D: Frank Capra 133 min p/s

11:30 pm Kisses for Breakfast (WB, 1941) Dennis Morgan, Jane Wyatt D: Lewis Seiler 81 min.

1:00 am The Navy Comes Through (RKO, 1942) Pat O’Brien, Jane Wyatt D: A. Edward Sutherland 82 min.

2:30 am Boomerang! (Fox, 1947) Dana Andrews, Jane Wyatt D. Elia Kazan 88 min. p/s

4:00 am Task Force (WB, 1949) Gary Cooper, Jane Wyatt D: Delmer Daves 117 min. p/s

Thursday, August 15, 2013

*Wendy Hiller – 101 st Birthday*

6:00 am Pygmalion (Loews, 1939) Leslie Howard, Wendy Hiller D: Anthony Asquith, Leslie Howard 96 min. p/s

7:45 am Major Barbara (Pascal, 1941) Wendy Hiller, Rex Harrison D: Gabriel Pascal 121 min p/s

10:00 am I Know Where I’m Going (Independent Producers,1945) Wendy Hiller D: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger 92 min. p/s

11:45 am Something of Value (MGM, 1957) Rock Hudson, Wendy Hiller D: Richard Brooks 114 min.

1:45 pm Separate Tables (UA, 1958) Deborah Kerr, Rita Hayworth, Wendy Hiller D: Delbert Mann 100 min. p/s

3:45 pm A Man For All Seasons (Col., 1966) Paul Scofield, Wendy Hiller D: Fred Zinnemann 120 min. p/s

5:45 pm Murder On the Orient Express (Par., 1974) Albert Finney, Wendy Hiller D: Sidney Lumet 128 min. p/s

*A Tribute to Ennio Morricone*

8 pm THE ESSENTIALS The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (UA, 1967) Clint Eastwood D: Sergio Leone 163 min. p/s

11:00 pm The Untouchables (Par., 1987) Kevin Costner, Sean Connery D: Brian De Palma 119 min. PREMIERE

1:15 am Cinema Paradiso (Mirimax, 1990) Philippe Noiret D: Giuseppe Tomatore 123 min. p/s

3:30 am The Battle of Algiers (Allied Artists, 1967) Jean Martin D: Gillo Pontecorvo 121 min. p/s

Friday, August 16, 2013

*Take 2 – Same film, cut, reshot, retitled for American audiences*

6:00 am Gone To Earth (Rank, 1952) Jennifer Jones D: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger 110 min. PREMIERE

8:00 am The Wild Heart (RKO, 1952) Jennifer Jones D: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger, Rouben Mamoulian 82. min.

*Two Delightful Supporting Actors*

Walter Connolly

9:30 am The Music Goes ‘Round (Col. 1936) Harry Richman, Walter Connolly D: Victor Schertzinger 85 min.

11:00 am First Lady (WB, 1937) Kay Francis, Walter Connolly D: Stanley Logan 82 min.

James Gregory

12:30 pm The Manchurian Candidate (UA, 1961) Frank Sinatra, Laurence Harvey D: John Frankenheimer 127 min. p/s

2:45 pm Beneath the Planet of the Apes (Fox, 1970) Charlton Heston D: Ted Post 95 min. PREMIERE

*Really, Really Bad Guys*

4:30 pm The Mask of Fu Manchu (MGM, 1932) Boris Karloff D: Chales Brabin 69 min.

6:00 pm Brute Force (Univ., 1947) Hume Cronyn D: Jules Dassin 98 min. p/s

*Rare Early Technicolor Movies*

8:00 pm The Toll of the Sea (Metro, 1923) Anna May Wong D: Chester M. Franklin 41 min. p/s

8:45 pm King of Jazz (Univ., 1930) Bing Crosby D: John Murray Anderson 98 min. PREMIERE

10:30 pm Whoopee! (Goldwyn, 1930) Eddie Cantor D: Thornton Freeland 85 min. PREMIERE

12 mid. Becky Sharp (RKO, 1935) Miriam Hopkins D: Rouben Mamoulian 85 min.

1:30 am TCM UNDERGROUND Doctor X (WB/First National, 1932) Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray D: Michael Curtiz 77 min.

3:00 am TCM UNDERGROUND Mystery of the Wax Museum (WB, 1933) Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray D: Michael Curtiz 78 min.

4:30 am God’s Country and the Woman (WB, 1937) George Brent D: William Keighley 90 min.

Saturday, August 17, 2013

*Tyrone Power and Linda Darnell, Hollywood’s Most Beautiful Couple*

6:00 am Day-Time Wife (Fox, 1939) Tyrone Power, Linda Darnell D: Gregory Ratoff 72 min. p/s

7:15 am The Mark of Zorro (Fox, 1940) Tyrone Power, Linda Darnell D: Rouben Mamoulian 93 min. p/s

Cartoon: The Scarlet Pumpernickel (WB, 1959) Daffy Duck 7 min.

9:00 am Brigham Young – Frontiersman (Fox, 1940) Tyrone Power, Linda Darnell D: Henry Hathaway 113 min. p/s

11:00 am Blood and Sand (Fox, 1941) Tyrone Power, Linda Darnell D: Rouben Mamoulian 125 min. p/s

Cartoon: Bully for Bugs (WB, 1953) Bugs Bunny as a matador 7 min.

*Saturday Matinee Double Bill*

1:15 pm Cat People (RKO, 1942) Simone Simon, Kent Smith D: Jacques Tourneur 73 min.

Cartoon: Scaredy Cat (WB, 1948) Porky Pig, Sylvester 7 min.

2:45 pm The Curse of the Cat People (RKO, 1944) Simone Simon, Kent Smith D: Gunther von Fritsch, Robert Wise 70 min.

Cartoon: Claws For Alarm (WB, 1954) Porky Pig, Sylvester 7 min.

*Ronald Colman – Suave and Sinister*

4:15 pm The Prisoner of Zenda (UA, 1937) Ronald Colman, Madeleine Carroll D: John Cromwell 101 min. p/s

Cartoon: The Two Mouseketeers (MGM, 1952) Tom and Jerry 8 min.

6:15 pm A Double Life (Univ., 1948) Ronald Colman, Signe Hasso D: George Cukor 105 min p/s

*Ann Sheridan – The Perfect Woman For A Saturday Night*

8:00 pm THE ESSENTIALS Kings Row (WB, 1942) Ann Sheridan, Robert Cummings, Ronald Reagan D: Sam Wood 127 min.

10:15 pm Wine, Women and Horses (WB, 1937) Barton MacLane, Ann Sheridan D: Louis King 64 min.

11:30 pm The Footloose Heiress (WB, 1937) Craig Reynolds, Ann Sheridan D: William Clemens 61 min.

Cartoon: Hollywood Steps Out (WB, 1941) various stars, including Ann Sheridan 8 min.

12:45 am Naughty But Nice (WB, 1939) Ann Sheridan, Dick Powell D: Ray Enright 90 min.

2:30 am Broadway Musketeers (WB, 1938) Margaret Lindsay, Ann Sheridan D: John Farrow 63 min.

3:45 am Shine On Harvest Moon (WB, 1944) Ann Sheridan, Dennis Morgan D: David Butler 113 min.

Edited by: filmlover on Aug 16, 2012 8:29 AM

Nice, aimalac! Any schedule that honors Deano and Roz Russell is awesome. And it's great to have an SOTM that's lesser known. But I especially love showing the amazing WHY WE FIGHT series on D-Day. Perfect excuse for scheduling something that's not shown enough.

Oops, hoped to get my notes in before another post was done here.

Anyway, first, sorry for the spacing and size issues. Just something weird about this board now not working with Word.

My notes:

*Star of the Month* – I was surprised to see that Jane Wyatt hasn’t ever been the SOTM, but I guess it is because few know how many films she made besides Lost Horizon. Was there ever an actress that had a friendlier smile? I had the good fortune to have met her in later years at a memorial of Frank Capra at the Directors Guild, and she was just as lovely as ever.

*Born in Budapest* – this idea came about when I was watching something that mentioned several major film people who were born in Hungary. I was surprised that some of the most famous people in golden age Hollywood were from Budapest.

*Forgotten All-Star Extravaganzas* – these are similar to Thank Your Lucky Stars, Hollywood Canteen, and Stage Door Canteen. The ones I have chosen have been forgotten or ignored, but the studios’ star power was incredible. Each has dozens of the greatest stars Hollywood produced, except Forever And A Day also featured nearly 50 stars of Hollywood and England.

*Janis Paige* – Speaking of Hollywood Canteen, it’s the film I use in the section right after the extravaganzas. Many of us have seen it, and I consider the sections of it with soldier Dane Clark and WB studio guide Janis Paige to be among the best. This and the short, I Won’t Play, were good examples of the studio grooming its talent into stars. Clark and Paige made another film together, included here. I have added two other Paige films, including the one she is likely best known for, Silk Stockings, in which she and Fred Astaire sing Stereophonic Sound. Special note: Ms. Paige will be celebrating her 90th birthday with a special show in a San Francisco nightclub in Sept. 2012. Check her website.

*For the Columbia requirement of the schedule*, I chose to highlight their marvelous B-movie series and their comedy team shorts.

*Columbia Recasts* - taking up countessdelave’s invitation, I recast some Columbia gems for Wednesday morning.

I am sure Harry Cohn might have thought some scripts were too depressing in their drama, so he decided to lighten up Death of A Salesman by bringing in some WB stalwarts.

However, in the case of The Solid Gold Cadillac, he saw an opportunity to go serious and use Joan Crawford, who has lost her husband but discovers he has a single share of stock in a soft-drink company. She goes to the stockholders meeting and, well, you know the rest of the story, she rises in popularity and becomes a spokeswoman for the corporation, but the pressures of the job cause her to take her frustrations out on her kids, especially her daughter, who ends up writing a tell-all book and narrating the film.

Lost Horizon (1962) is not a recast but a remake done during Sinatra’s Ratpack period. He plays Bobby “the Voice” Conway, a film star turned Vegas lounge act, who has lost his singing ability. He is on a plane and kidnapped to Shangri-La. Other passengers include his brother George (Dean Martin), who has a drinking and gambling problem, Fran (Shirley MacLaine), an elevator operator who is on the verge of suicide because of a bad love relationship, Lovett (Joey Bishop), a humorless man with no talent, and Barnard (Cesar Romero), a con man who likes to wear pasty makeup and a green wig. At Shangri-La, Bobby meets Maria (Julie Andrews) who teaches him how to sing again. Bobby is not sure he wants to go back to the world outside. Chang (Sammy Davis, Jr.) tells Bobby that the leader of Shangri-La wants to meet him. “The High Lama?” Bobby asks. Chang replies, “Well, that depends on what he’s been smokin’.” In the meeting with the High Lama (Bing Crosby), Bobby is asked to take over for him.

Cohn decides he doesn’t want to have union troubles so he has the script of On the Waterfront rewritten to feature a failed architect turned dock worker (Gary Cooper) giving up on his potential. Reporter Edie (Jean Arthur) goes to the docks to find out his story. Millionaire governor Johnny Friendly (Edward Arnold) doesn’t want the story to come out.

*Wendy Hiller* - I should have done a schedule last time because then I could have noted that today, August 15 th, is British actress Wendy Hiller’s 100 th birthday. But maybe TCM can do a 101 st birthday in next year’s Summer Under The Stars. (By the way, I realize that my schedule occurs during the month August 2013, the SUTS month, and doesn’t fit that particular star-a-day format, but hopefully they can borrow some themes.)

*Take 2* – this is a case of a 1952 British film by Powell and Pressburger, starring Jennifer Jones, called Gone To Earth (meaning gone into hiding). It was 110 minutes, but producer David O. Selznick thought it didn’t showcase enough of his wife, Jones. He took the film, cut it, had Rouben Mamoulian shoot some new sequences with the same cast, and basically made it a different film, this time running only 82 minutes and called “The Wild Heart.”

The rest are pretty self-explanatory.

{font}

Edited by: filmlover on Aug 15, 2012 6:54 PM for typos.

Filmlover, I love your schedule and am especially laughing hard at the Rat Pack LOST HORIZON remake--because I can almost imagine this happening.

So glad you're back in the challenge. The Budapest connection is very informative.

Aimalac, I especially love the "Why We Fight" series you included for D-Day. Would love to see that happen.