Sign in to follow this  
countessdelave

The 22nd TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE: HAIL COLUMBIA

91 posts in this topic

NOTES ON A SCHEDULE

TCM shows a broad spectrum of movies, in almost every genre. I decided to display this by picking out a bunch of broad genres, and then showing a whole range of sub-genres within each main genre.

Sunday morning and afternoon start out with a bunch of anthology movies, which in theory contain several different genres within each movie. (At least, they can; not all of them do.) There's comedy, drama, and horror, as well as both American and British movies. The afternoon concludes with the short Lionpower from MGM, which was MGM's 1967 look at the movies that were going to be coming out from MGM in the "four seasons of LIONPOWER!"

Sunday being Sunday, I figured it would also be a good day for religion-themed movies, which includes the Silent Sunday Nights film, the Lillian Gish version of *The White Sister*, and the TCM Import, *The Burmese Harp*, about a Japanese soldier who becomes a monk to escape the war.

The religious movies end with a biopic, which is a good way to tie together the religious movies with the next theme, disaster movies. OK, technically *The Producers* isn't a disaster, but the plot involves Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder trying to produce a disaster.

A comedic movie about crooks trying to create a disaster is a good segue into Monday night, and the Columbia theme: Columbia's comic crooks. It's a night of movies from Columbia that are about criminals and gangsters, with a relatively comic bent. *So You Won't Talk* is supposedly a remake of *The Whole Town's Talking*, starring Joe E. Brown in the Edward G. Robinson role(s).

There are a lot of movies set in the world of newspapers and magazines, and I decided to highlight these with a bunch of films across a range of dramas. I'll grant that *Cimarron* might be a bit of a stretch, but Richard Dix and Irene Dunne do play newspaper publishers.

We go from one horror movie with a newspaperman (again, I'll admit calling *Doctor X* a newspaper movie is a bit of a stretch) to a horror movie about a doctor, *The Return of Doctor X*, which is really worth watching for poor Humphrey Bogart's pallid performance. It kicks off a night of doctor movies, including two with Edward G. Robinson as the doctor, and one with Robert Mitchum!

The last of the doctor movies stars Kay Francis, which is a good way to kick off a day of "chick flicks" with strong female protagonists on Wednesday. Eventually we get to a bunch of movies with female spies, although they're relatively different genres of spy films.

This is especially true of the last one, *Thirteen Frightened Girls*, which was directed by William Castle. Yes, that William Castle. That's a good way to kick off a night of teen movies.

The last teen movie, early Thursday morning, is *High School Confidential*, which I'm not certain has any actual teens despite the high school setting. It's also hilariously bad. That makes it a good movie to start a day of films that are "So bad they're good". Howl along at Tony Bennett's emoting in *The Oscar* or Carol Channing doing a strip-tease in *Skidoo*, among others. The bad news is that *Dondi* is terrible, and has no redeeming quailities that I can think of. If you ever need to punish your children, make them watch *Dondi*.

I know Peter Lorre wasn't exactly a star by Hollywood standards, although he was a more than dependable actor. He also appeared in a broad range of movies, so I decided to highlight that broad range in one of his days as Star of the Month. The last of his films that I selected being a musical, I figured I'd have to start with a musical for Friday morning, in my day of Westerns. The Westerns continue until Friday night, when we get war movies (of course, following after a war movie set in the Old West).

This brings us to TCM Underground, and two movies that probably will never be shown on TCM because from what I've read (I'll admit to not having seen either of them), they're too brutal. *Men Behind the Sun* is about [unit 731|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731], a Japanese installation which engaged in testing biological and chemical weapons on Chinese and Soviet POWs, as well as nasty medical experiments. *Black Sun*, from the same director, is about the [Rape of Nanking|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre].

The last of the war movies isn't so much a docudrama as an instructional film designed for recruits to learn about the interrogation tactics Nazis would use. That, I suppose, is close enough to a docudrama to seque into a day of docudramas.

TCM has shown blaxploitation movies in TCM Underground, but I don't think there are enough of them to do an entire day. So I had to do the next best thing, which is movies that aren't quite blaxploitation. We start off with "Smacksploitation Cinema", as everybody only watches *Mildred Pierce* to see Mildred give Veda the smack she richly deserves. That's followed by Walter Matthau as a dentist in *Cactus Flower* and a Laurel and Hardy short about slacks.

We then have this week's TCM Essential, *The Killing*, which is one of Stanley Kubrick's earliest movies, about robbing a racetrack of a day's betting profits.

On the rest of Saturday night, we have, in order, Paul Douglas as an alleged tax evader; Jean Harlow's back being used as the punchline of a joke; Bette Davis as a librarian who refuses to remove a book about Communism from her stacks; Joan Crawford axe-murdering the Six-Million Dollar Man; and one that speaks for itself.

I believe I actually only used four premieres (I'm not certain whether both Laurel and Hardy shorts aired in the Hal Roach salute or not). I'm always a bit afraid to select a premiere because I'll worry that I'm going to run out of premieres and then have to scramble to complete the schedule with previously-aired movies.

As for the premieres, *We're Not Married* is a Fox film about a soon-to-be Justice of the Peace who jumps the gun by marrying five couples a week early, and then the consequences for each of those couples for their marriages not being valid;

*On the Front Page* is a Stan Laurel (apparently without Oliver Hardy!) silent two-reeler;

*Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea* involves Peter Lorre on a submarine that's on a mission to restore the Van Allen Belts before Earth overheats; and

*The Man Who Never Was* is a dramatization of the story of [Operation Mincemeat|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mincemeat].

> {quote:title=B-BOOP wrote:}{quote}Hello everyone,

>

> I really don't want to come off sounding like a total beeee-otch but..

>

> 8:00pm *THE ESSENTIALS: Tales of Manhattan* (1942) George Sanders & Edward G Robinson, dir Julien Duvivier FOX 118min (EXEMPT PREMIERE)

>

> I asked beforehand and I was told that *THE ESSENTIALS* time slot did not qualify as an Exempt Premiere.

>

> Q: Is the TCM Essentials movie exempt from the premieres?

> A: The Essentials is not exempt.

B-BOOP,

You are absolutely correct that the Essential is NOT exempt from the Premieres rule. I don't know how I missed that. I think that I was so delighted that Lonesome Polecat was making some slight changes to the schedule in order to comply with the rules. I counted the premieres and there are now eleven, which is one more than the allowed ten. There is still time for LP to change that Essential or delete another Premiere before midnight (pacific time) on Monday.

Fedya and audreyforever,

It's so great to have both of you post schedules. I will read them and your notes this afternoon. Thanks for joining us on the Challenge.

> {quote:title=countessdelave wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=B-BOOP wrote:}{quote}Hello everyone,

> >

> > I really don't want to come off sounding like a total beeee-otch but..

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > 8:00pm *THE ESSENTIALS: Tales of Manhattan* (1942) George Sanders & Edward G Robinson, dir Julien Duvivier FOX 118min (EXEMPT PREMIERE)

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > I asked beforehand and I was told that *THE ESSENTIALS* time slot did not qualify as an Exempt Premiere.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Q: Is the TCM Essentials movie exempt from the premieres?

> > A: The Essentials is not exempt.

> >

> B-BOOP,

> You are absolutely correct that the Essential is NOT exempt from the Premieres rule. I don't know how I missed that. I think that I was so delighted that Lonesome Polecat was making some slight changes to the schedule in order to comply with the rules. I counted the premieres and there are now eleven, which is one more than the allowed ten. There is still time for LP to change that Essential or delete another Premiere before midnight (pacific time) on Monday.

Are you kidding me? I messed up again? Sorry, in past challenges ESSENTIALS has been a free premiere and I didn't even bother to check this time. Well it would be pretty easy to just put LURED back in as the essentials (thus cutting out poor TALES OF MANHATTAN but I guess that movie's been bounced around a lot on this thread and surely the programmers noticed it), but with a deadline two days away, I really have no time to re-do the schedule and my notes and the schedule "headline". So I think the only course of action for me right now is if you all just don't vote for me. :) (I don't want to win anyway because then I won't be able to write a schedule next time). Sorry everyone!

Edited by: LonesomePolecat on Sep 1, 2012 5:44 PM

Edited by: LonesomePolecat on Sep 1, 2012 6:05 PM

Fedya,

Great schedule-- great ideas-- great variety of films-- great films. I'm so glad you chose Peter Lorre as SOTM-- he was on my list of possible SOTMs. He deserves more attention with his vast filmography. The most genius moment though was the "Not Quite Blaxploitation Cinema" section. I mean, "plaquespoitation?" "Taxploitation?" "Waxploitation?" Genius! But my favorite is DINNER AT 8 for "backsloitation"-- I wish I thought of that one! Good thing I'm out of the running anyway because I couldn't have beat this schedule.

audrey-

Another great schedule! Fun and creative. Great cinema in there. Way to pick Maureen O'Sullivan (don't think she's every been SOTM, has she?), but especially to schedule some lesser known films, which is what I always love to watch from my SOTMs. Favorite part though was the Debussy section. I love that man and his music, and it does seem like he's used fairly often but never given much credit. Lovely, lovely work.

audreyforever, Great schedule! I love your Secretaries Gone Crazy, Maureen O'Sullivan as SOTM, and Jerry Wald tribute. Your Columbia day has most of their best! The Man, Villain, and Spy take-offs are great! It's nice to see a poster as guest programmer. Wish they'd do that for real!

I always expect a great schedule from you, and you came though again!

Fedya, I think I hate you. ;) When I was writing something the other day, I got the idea to someday do a schedule based on genres. Not only did you beat me to it, you did it better than I could have.

It's impossible for me to highlight a few themes over others because they're all so good, and your movie choices fit absolutely perfectly.

Your night of ploitation movies is inspired, but I suspect your spell checker hates you! :)

Great job!

I've just received word from SansFin. It's impossible for her to return before the deadline, so she e-mailed me her schedule and notes. With countessdelave's kind permission, I'll be posting them when I can (I have to combine the messages and check the formatting).

She'll be commenting on the other entries when she's back (she can read the Internet there, but it's not safe for her to log into her account), but she wants you to know they're all wonderful.

Thanks for the kind words Capuchin! What a great lineup of schedules we have...I would give anything for TCM to just use a month or two using these schedules :D

Audreyforever and Fedya,

Both of you have created wonderful schedules. They are funny, creative and oh so imaginative. Congratulations!

I'm so pleased that we have eight wonderful schedules thus far. And yes, Capuchin, I do hope that you are able to submit SansFin's schedule before midnight (pacific time) tomorrow. I know that we had corresponded about this a couple of weeks ago.

SansFin, doing a schedule between shopping trips and basking in the sun but unable to post, asked me to present this on her behalf. Thanks to countessdelave for understanding! (Any formatting errors are mine, SansFin bears responsibility for everything else.)

SansFin's TCM Programming Challenge 22 Schedule

April 14, 2013 to April 20, 2013

Vincent Price is the Star of the Month.

Columbia Pictures night is on Monday.

There are three Columbia Pictures Premieres, two Exempt Columbia Pictures short films and ten other Premieres.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion

6:00 AM *The Egg And I* (1947) 108 min. Universal. Cast: Claudette Colbert, Fred MacMurray, Marjorie Main. Dir: Chester Erskine, P/S

8:00 AM *A Kid For Two Farthings* (1956) 96 min. LFP. Cast: Celia Johnson, Diana Dors, David Kossoff. Dir: Carol Reed, P/S

9:45 AM *Hide-Out* (1934) 81 min. MGM. Cast: Robert Montgomery, Maureen O'Sullivan, Mickey Rooney. Dir: WS Van Dyke II

11:15 AM *The Good Earth* (1937) 138 min. MGM. Cast: Paul Muni, Luise Rainer, Walter Connolly. Dir: Sidney Franklin

1:45 PM *First Men in the Moon* (1964) 103 min. Columbia. Cast: Edward Judd, Martha Hyer, Lionel Jeffries. Dir: Nathan Juran, P/S

3:30 PM *Ma And Pa Kettle* (1949) 76 min. Universal. Cast: Marjorie Main, Percy Kilbride, Richard Long. Dir: Charles Lamont, P/S

5:00 PM *Ma And Pa Kettle At The Fair* (1952) 78 min. Universal. Cast: Marjorie Main, Percy Kilbride, James Best. Dir: Charles Barton, P/S

6:30 PM *Ma And Pa Kettle Back On The Farm* (1951) 80 min. Universal. Cast: Marjorie Main, Percy Kilbride, Richard Long. Dir: Edward Sedgwick, P/S

The Old Country

Russian Musical Comedies

8:00 PM *Jolly Fellows* (1934) 96 min. Moskinokombinat. Cast: Leonid Utyosov, Lyubov Orlova, Mariya Strelkova. Dir: Grigori Aleksandrov, Premiere # 1

9:45 PM *Tsirk* (1936) 90 min. Mosfilm. Cast: Lyubov Orlova, Vladimir Volodin, Yevgeniya Melnikova. Dir: Grigori Aleksandrov, Premiere # 2

Vera Kholodnaya, Queen of the Screen

11:15 PM *Be Silent, Sorrow, Be Silent* (1918) 44 min. Kharitonov. Cast: Vera Kholodnaya, Pyotr Chardynin, Konstantin Khokhlov. Dir: Pyotr Chardynin, Premiere # 3

Silent Sunday Night

12:00 AM *Her Sister's Rival* (1916) 66 min. Khanzhonkov. Cast: Vera Kholodnaya, Lydia Koreneva, Olga Rakhmanova. Dir: Yevgeni Bauer, Exempt Silent

1:15 AM *Deti veka* (1915) 38 min. Khanzhonkov. Cast: Vera Kholodnaya, Arseniy Bibikov, V. Glinskaya. Dir: Yevgeni Bauer, Premiere # 4

TCM Import

2:00 AM *Island of the Dead* (1993) 86 min. Sojusitalofilm. Cast: Vera Kholodnaya. Dir: Oleg Kovalov, Exempt Import

Russian Musical Comedy

3:30 AM *Volga, Volga* (1938) 104 min. Mosfilm. Cast: Igor Ilyinsky, Vladimir Volodin, Pavel Olenev. Dir: Grigori Aleksandrov, Premiere # 5

Columbia Musical Comedy Shorts

5:15 AM *Umpa* (1933) 16 min. Columbia. Cast: Jack Osterman, Lois January, Gloria Shea. Dir: Con Conrad, Exempt Columbia Short

5:35 AM *My Wife's an Angel* (1943) 23 min. Columbia. Cast: Jerry Cooper, Kathryn Givney, Allen Jenkins. Dir: Ben K. Blake, Exempt Columbia Short

Monday, April 15, 2013

Dancing cheek-to-cheek is floor play

6:00 AM *Shall We Dance* (1937) 109 min. RKO. Cast: Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Edward Everett Horton. Dir: Mark Sandrich

8:00 AM *Anything Goes* (1956) 106 min. Paramount. Cast: Bing Crosby, Donald O'Connor, Jeanmaire. Dir: Robert Lewis, P/S

10:00 AM *Alexander's Ragtime Band* (1938) 105 min. Fox. Cast: Tyrone Power, Alice Faye, Don Ameche. Dir: Henry King, P/S

11:45 AM *Down to Earth* (1947) 101 min. Columbia. Cast: Rita Hayworth, Larry Parks, Marc Platt. Dir: Alexander Hall, P/S

1:30 PM *The Eyes of the Mummy* (1918) 63 min. Projektions-AG Union. Cast: Pola Negri, Harry Liedtke, Emil Jannings. Dir: Ernst Lubitsch, P/S

2:45 PM *Invitation to the Dance* (1956) 93 min. MGM. Cast: Gene Kelly, Igor Youskevitch, Claire Sombert. Dir: Gene Kelly

4:30 PM *Flying Down To Rio* (1933) 89 min. Radio Pictures. Cast: Dolores Del Rio, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers. Dir: Thornton Freeland, P/S

6:00 PM *Yolanda And The Thief* (1945) 108 min. MGM. Cast: Fred Astaire, Lucille Bremer, Frank Morgan. Dir: Vincente Minnelli

The Old-Old-Old Country

8:00 PM *The Man Called Flintstone* (1966) 89 min. Columbia. Cast: Alan Reed, Mel Blanc, Jean Vander Pyl. Dir: Barbera and Hanna, Columbia Premiere # 1

9:30 PM *Wholly Moses!* (1980) 103 min. Columbia. Cast: Dudley Moore, Laraine Newman, James Coco. Dir: Gary Weis, Columbia Premiere # 2

11:15 PM *Slave of Babylon* (1953) 82 min. Columbia. Cast: Richard Conte, Linda Christian, Maurice Schwartz. Dir: William Castle, Columbia Premiere # 3

12:45 AM *Thief of Damascus* (1952) 78 min. Columbia. Cast: Paul Henreid, John Sutton, Jeff Donnell. Dir: Will Jason, P/S

2:15 AM *A Thousand and One Nights* (1945) 93 min. Columbia. Cast: Cornel Wilde, Evelyn Keyes, Phil Silvers. Dir: Alfred E Green, P/S

4:00 AM *Sinbad And The Eye Of The Tiger* (1977) 113 min. Columbia. Cast: Patrick Wayne, Taryn Power, Jane Seymour. Dir: Sam Wanamaker, P/S

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A hangover is the wrath of grapes

6:00 AM *Auntie Mame* (1958) 143 min. WBP. Cast: Rosalind Russell, Forrest Tucker, Coral Browne. Dir: Morton Da Costa, P/S

8:30 AM *The Case of the Lucky Legs* (1935) 78 min. WB. Cast: Warren William, Lyle Talbot, Allen Jenkins. Dir: Archie Mayo

10:00 AM ***** Tonk* (1941) 105 min. MGM. Cast: Clark Gable, Lana Turner, Frank Morgan. Dir: Jack Conway

11:45 AM *The Philadelphia Story* (1940) 112 min. MGM. Cast: Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, James Stewart. Dir: George Cukor

1:45 PM *Pillow Talk* (1959) 102 min. Arwin. Cast: Doris Day, Rock Hudson, Tony Randall. Dir: Michael Gordon, P/S

3:30 PM *Teacher's Pet* (1958) 120 min. Paramount. Cast: Clark Gable, Doris Day, Gig Young. Dir: George Seaton, P/S

5:30 PM *Smart Blonde* (1936) 59 min. WB. Cast: Glenda Farrell, Barton MacLane, Wini Shaw. Dir: Frank McDonald

6:30 PM *Two Faced Woman* (1941) 90 min. MGM. Cast: Greta Garbo, Melvyn Douglas, Constance Bennett. Dir: George Cukor

Star of the Month Vincent Price

8:00 PM *Fall of the House of Usher* (1960) 79 min. Alta Vista. Cast: Vincent Price, Mark Damon, Myrna Fahey. Dir: Roger Corman, Public Domain

9:30 PM *Diary of a Madman* (1963) 96 min. Kent Prods.. Cast: Vincent Price, Nelson Olmsted, Nancy Kovack. Dir: Reginald Le Borg, P/S

11:15 PM *The Fly* (1958) 94 min. Fox. Cast: Vincent Price, David Hedison, Patricia Owens. Dir: Kurt Neumann, Premiere # 6

1:00 AM *Up in Central Park* (1948) 84 min. Universal. Cast: Vincent Price, Deanna Durbin, Dick Haymes. Dir: William A. Seiter, Premiere # 7

2:30 AM *The Masque Of The Red Death* (1964) 86 min. Alta Vista. Cast: Vincent Price, Hazel Court, Jane Asher. Dir: Roger Corman, P/S

4:00 AM *Twice-Told Tales* (1963) 120 min. Kent Prods.. Cast: Vincent Price, Sebastian Cabot, Beverly Garland. Dir: Sidney Salkow, P/S

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I thought I saw an island near Alaska but it was only an optical Aleutian

6:00 AM *Robinson Crusoe* (1954) 90 min. Tepeyac. Cast: Daniel O'Herlihy, Jaime Fern?ndez, Felipe de Alba. Dir: Luis Bu?uel, P/S

7:30 AM *Miss Robin Crusoe* (1953) 75 min. Eastern. Cast: Amanda Blake, George Nader, Rosalind Hayes. Dir: Eugene Frenke, P/S

8:45 AM *Father Goose* (1964) 115 min. Granox. Cast: Cary Grant, Leslie Caron, Trevor Howard. Dir: Ralph Nelson, P/S

10:45 AM *Isle Of The Dead* (1945) 71 min. RKO. Cast: Boris Karloff, Ellen Drew, Helene Thimig. Dir: Mark Robson

12:00 PM *Horrors of Spider Island* (1960) 89 min. Intercontinental. Cast: Harald Maresch, Helga Franck, Alexander D'Arcy. Dir: Fritz B?ttger, Public Domain

1:30 PM *Island of Lost Souls* (1932) 70 min. Paramount. Cast: Charles Laughton, Richard Arlen, Bela Lugosi. Dir: Erle C Kenton, P/S

2:45 PM *Island of Doomed Men* (1940) 67 min. Columbia. Cast: Peter Lorre, Rochelle Hudson, Robert Wilcox. Dir: Charles Barton, P/S

4:00 PM *Attack of the Crab Monsters* (1957) 62 min. Los Altos. Cast: Richard Garland, Pamela Duncan, Russell Johnson. Dir: Roger Corman, P/S

5:15 PM *Lost Lagoon* (1958) 79 min. Bermuda. Cast: Jeffrey Lynn, Peter Donat, Leila Barry. Dir: John Rawlins, P/S

6:45 PM *Black Moon* (1934) 69 min. Columbia. Cast: Jack Holt, Fay Wray, Dorothy Burgess. Dir: Roy William Neill, P/S

The Old-Fashioned Way Of Getting Ahead: Cheating

8:00 PM *Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines* (1965) 138 min. Fox. Cast: Stuart Whitman, Sarah Miles, Terry-Thomas. Dir: Ken Annakin, Premiere # 8

10:30 PM *Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies* (1969) 120 min. Champion. Cast: Bourvil, Peter Cook, Tony Curtis. Dir: Ken Annakin, Premiere # 9

12:30 AM *The Great Race* (1965) 160 min. WBP. Cast: Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, Natalie Wood. Dir: Blake Edwards, P/S

3:15 AM *Burn 'Em Up O'Connor* (1939) 70 min. MGM. Cast: Dennis O'Keefe, Harry Carey, Cecilia Parker. Dir: Edward Sedgwick

4:30 AM *Genevieve* (1953) 86 min. Rank. Cast: John Gregson, Dinah Sheridan, Kenneth More. Dir: Henry Cornelius, P/S

Thursday, April 18, 2013

A man needs a mistress just to break the monogamy

6:00 AM *The Affairs of Anatol* (1921) 95 min. Famous Players. Cast: Gloria Swanson, Wallace Reid, Bebe Daniels. Dir: Cecil B DeMille, P/S

7:45 AM *Avanti!* (1972) 140 min. Mirisch. Cast: Jack Lemmon, Juliet Mills, Clive Revill. Dir: Billy Wilder, P/S

10:15 AM *Fifth Avenue Girl* (1939) 83 min. RKO. Cast: Ginger Rogers, Walter Connolly, Tim Holt. Dir: Gregory La Cava

11:45 AM *Any Wednesday* (1966) 109 min. WBP. Cast: Jane Fonda, Jason Robards Jr, Dean Jones. Dir: Robert Ellis Miller, P/S

1:45 PM *Madame Du Barry* (1934) 79 min. WB. Cast: Dolores Del Rio, Reginald Owen, Victor Jory. Dir: William Dieterle

3:15 PM *Possessed* (1931) 76 min. MGM. Cast: Joan Crawford, Clark Gable, Wallace Ford. Dir: Clarence Brown

4:45 PM *Sawdust And Tinsel* (1953) 93 min. Sandrews. Cast: ?ke Gr?nberg, Harriet Andersson, Hasse Ekman. Dir: Ingmar Bergman, P/S

6:30 PM *A Story of Floating Weeds* (1934) 86 min. Shochiku. Cast: Koji Mitsui, Choko Iida, Takeshi Sakamoto. Dir: Yasujiro Ozu, P/S

Old Men With Young Ideas

8:00 PM *Woman Of Straw* (1964) 117 min. Relph. Cast: Gina Lollobrigida, Sean Connery, Ralph Richardson. Dir: Basil Dearden, P/S

10:00 PM *Limelight* (1952) 132 min. Celebrated Prods.. Cast: Charles Chaplin, Claire Bloom, Buster Keaton. Dir: Charles Chaplin, P/S

12:15 AM *Baby Doll* (1956) 114 min. Newtown. Cast: Karl Malden, Carroll Baker, Eli Wallach. Dir: Elia Kazan, P/S

2:15 AM *Sabrina* (1954) 113 min. Paramount. Cast: Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn, William Holden. Dir: Billy Wilder, P/S

4:15 AM *Funny Face* (1957) 103 min. Paramount. Cast: Fred Astaire, Audrey Hepburn, Kay Thompson. Dir: Stanley Donen, P/S

Friday, April 19, 2013

Those who jump off a bridge in Paris are in Seine

6:00 AM *Irma La Douce* (1963) 143 min. Mirisch. Cast: Shirley MacLaine, Jack Lemmon, Lou Jacobi. Dir: Billy Wilder, P/S

8:30 AM *Love In The Afternoon* (1957) 130 min. Allied Artists. Cast: Gary Cooper, Audrey Hepburn, Maurice Chevalier. Dir: Billy Wilder, P/S

10:45 AM *A Scandal in Paris* (1946) 100 min. Pressburger. Cast: George Sanders, Signe Hasso, Carole Landis. Dir: Douglas Sirk, P/S

12:30 PM *Good Girls Go to Paris* (1939) 75 min. Columbia. Cast: Melvyn Douglas, Joan Blondell, Alan Curtis. Dir: Alexander Hall, P/S

1:45 PM *Bluebeard* (1944) 72 min. PRC. Cast: John Carradine, Jean Parker, Nils Asther. Dir: Edgar G Ulmer, Public Domain

3:00 PM *An American in Paris* (1951) 113 min. Loew's. Cast: Gene Kelly, Leslie Caron, Oscar Levant. Dir: Vincente Minnelli, P/S

5:00 PM *Is Paris Burning?* (1966) 175 min. Marianne Prods.. Cast: Jean-Paul Belmondo, Charles Boyer, Leslie Caron. Dir: Ren? Cl?ment, P/S

We Make Money The Old-Fashioned Way: We Steal It

8:00 PM *I Was an Adventuress* (1940) 81 min. Fox. Cast: Erich von Stroheim, Peter Lorre, Vera Zorina. Dir: Gregory Ratoff, Premiere # 10

9:30 PM *Jewel Robbery* (1932) 68 min. WB. Cast: William Powell, Kay Francis, Helen Vinson. Dir: William Dieterle

10:45 PM *The Last of Mrs. Cheyney* (1937) 98 min. MGM. Cast: Joan Crawford, William Powell, Robert Montgomery. Dir: Richard Boleslawski

12:30 AM *Arsene Lupin* (1932) 84 min. MGM. Cast: John Barrymore, Lionel Barrymore, Karen Morley. Dir: Jack Conway

TCM Underground

2:00 AM *Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels* (1998) 107 min. Summit. Cast: Jason Flemyng, Dexter Fletcher, Nick Moran. Dir: Guy Ritchie, Exempt Underground

4:00 AM *Kismet* (1955) 113 min. MGM. Cast: Howard Keel, Ann Blyth, Dolores Gray. Dir: Vincente Minnelli

Saturday, April 20, 2013

She was only a moonshiner's daughter but he loved her still

6:00 AM *The Moonshiner's Daughter* (1933) 20 min. RKO. Cast: Mary Carr, Russell Simpson, Lucile Browne. Dir: Albert Ray

6:30 AM *Thunder Road* (1958) 92 min. DRM Prods.. Cast: Robert Mitchum, Gene Barry, Keely Smith. Dir: Arthur Ripley, P/S

8:15 AM *A Wicked Woman* (1934) 73 min. MGM. Cast: Mady Christians, Charles Bickford, Betty Furness. Dir: Charles Brabin

9:30 AM *Attack of the Giant Leeches* (1959) 62 min. AIP. Cast: Ken Clark, Yvette Vickers, Jan Shepard. Dir: Bernard L. Kowalski, Public Domain

10:40 AM *Them Thar Hills* (1934) 20 min. Hal Roach. Cast: Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Mae Busch. Dir: Charles Rogers, P/S

11:00 AM *Drunken Angel* (1948) 98 min. Toho. Cast: Takashi Shimura, Toshiro Mifune, Reizaburo Yamamoto. Dir: Akira Kurosawa, P/S

12:45 PM *The Good Old Soak* (1937) 76 min. MGM. Cast: Wallace Beery, Una Merkel, Eric Linden. Dir: J Walter Rubin

2:15 PM *Lucky Night* (1939) 82 min. MGM. Cast: Myrna Loy, Robert Taylor, Henry O'Neill. Dir: Norman Taurog

3:45 PM *What Price Hollywood?* (1932) 88 min. RKO. Cast: Constance Bennett, Lowell Sherman, Neil Hamilton. Dir: George Cukor

5:15 PM *The Hallelujah Trail* (1965) 156 min. Mirisch. Cast: Burt Lancaster, Lee Remick, Jim Hutton. Dir: John Sturges, P/S

The 101st Anniversary Of The Death Of Bram Stoker

TCM Essentials

8:00 PM *Dracula* (1931) 75 min. Universal. Cast: Bela Lugosi, Dwight Frye, Helen Chandler. Dir: Tod Browning, P/S

9:30 PM *The Return of the Vampire* (1944) 69 min. Columbia. Cast: Bela Lugosi, Frieda Inescort, Nina Foch. Dir: Lew Landers, P/S

10:45 PM *Nosferatu* (1922) 84 min. Prana-Film GmbH. Cast: Max Schreck, Gustav von Wangenheim, Alexander Granach. Dir: F W Murnau, Public Domain

12:15 AM *Condemned to Live* (1935) 67 min. Invincible. Cast: Ralph Morgan, Pedro de Cordoba, Maxine Doyle. Dir: Frank R. Strayer, Public Domain

1:30 AM *Mark Of The Vampire* (1935) 60 min. MGM. Cast: Lionel Barrymore, Elizabeth Allan, Bela Lugosi. Dir: Tod Browning

2:30 AM *Dracula Has Risen From the Grave* (1969) 92 min. Hammer. Cast: Christopher Lee, Rupert Davies, Veronica Carlson. Dir: Freddie Francis, P/S

4:15 AM *House Of Dark Shadows* (1970) 97 min. MGM. Cast: Jonathan Frid, Joan Bennett, Grayson Hall. Dir: Dan Curtis

Silent Sunday Night

*Her Sister's Rival* (1916)

TCM Import

*Island of the Dead* (1993)

TCM Underground

*Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels* (1998)

TCM Essentials

*Dracula* (1931)

Columbia Premieres:

*The Man Called Flintstone* (1966)

*Wholly Moses!* (1980)

*Slave of Babylon* (1953)

Premieres:

*Jolly Fellows* (1934)

*Tsirk* (1936)

*Be Silent, Sorrow, Be Silent* (1918)

*Deti veka* (1915)

*Volga - Volga* (1938)

*The Fly* (1958)

*Up in Central Park* (1948)

*Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines* (1965)

*Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies* (1969)

*I Was an Adventuress* (1940)

Span:

1910s: 4

1920s: 2

1930s: 31

1940s: 17

1950s: 26

1960s: 17

1970s: 3

1980s: 1

1990s: 2

SansFin's TCM Programming Challenge 22 Programming Notes

April 14, 2013 to April 20, 2013

Vincent Price is my Star of the Month.

Columbia Pictures night is on Monday.

There are three Columbia Pictures Premieres, two Exempt Columbia Pictures short films and ten other Premieres.

I admit that it is not possible to justify the themes of the daytimes. Each person has an aspect of their inner self of which they are not proud. My shame is that I love wordplay. Inherent in puns is that the worst are the best. I have tried to chose the best. You may take that to mean they are the worst.

My Star of the Month is Vincent Price. The two TCM Premieres for this night are: *The Fly* (1958) and *Up in Central Park* (1948). I wished also to show *Laura* (1944). It is sad to say he is not a star of it and so it was not worth precious Premiere status.

*Jolly Fellows* (1934) and *Tsirk* (1936) are wonderfully funny. There are prints of them with subtitles in English. The former movie is available for viewing in full on YouTube and the latter movie has clips which are available for viewing on YouTube.

Vera Kholodnaya had a life as dramatic as her movies. She was named: "The Queen of the Screen" and she starred in a hundred movies before she was murdered by the French to hide a scandal when she was only twenty-five years of age. *Be Silent, Sorrow, Be Silent* (1918) is available for viewing in full in twelve parts on YouTube. My TCM Import is: *Island of the Dead* (1993) which is Oleg Kovalov's documentary of her.

My Columbia Pictures Premieres are: *The Man Called Flintstone* (1966), *Wholly Moses!* (1980) and *Slave of Babylon* (1953).

My TCM Underground is a modern film. *Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels* (1998) is a funny, gory, witty and violent comedy with many sexual references. It is so very over-the-top I believe none can be seriously offended by its content.

I celebrate the One-Hundred-and-One anniversary of Bram Stoker's death with *Dracula* (1931) as the week's TCM Essential and variations of the story the remainder of the evening.

Silent Sunday Night

*Her Sister's Rival* (1916)

TCM Import

*Island of the Dead* (1993)

TCM Underground

*Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels* (1998)

TCM Essentials

*Dracula* (1931)

Columbia Premieres:

*The Man Called Flintstone* (1966)

*Wholly Moses!* (1980)

*Slave of Babylon* (1953)

Premieres:

*Jolly Fellows* (1934)

*Tsirk* (1936)

*Be Silent, Sorrow, Be Silent* (1918)

*Deti veka* (1915)

*Volga - Volga* (1938)

*The Fly* (1958)

*Up in Central Park* (1948)

*Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines* (1965)

*Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies* (1969)

*I Was an Adventuress* (1940)

Span:

1910s: 4

1920s: 2

1930s: 31

1940s: 17

1950s: 26

1960s: 17

1970s: 3

1980s: 1

1990s: 2

Excellent schedule, SansFin. I was laughing and groaning at the same time. I'm glad that you got it to Capuchin in time for him to post it for you.

Now we have nine wonderful schedules. Is there anyone else who is planning on posting a schedule? You have until Midnight tonight, pacific time (September 3rd).