Sign in to follow this  
ParamountCartoonsFan

let's hope the tradition continues with the Oct 21st animation TCM marathon

55 posts in this topic

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/events/october-21st-classic-animation-on-tcm.html

Jerry Beck says that some classic silent-era cartoons, UPA cartoons, and Paramount's first two animated features (with Max Fleischer) will be shown on TCM. Tune in and lets hope this works.

I especially want more Paramount Pictures cartoons on TCM, particularly Screen Songs with original titles.

Are ya with me?????

I'm with you! I've seen many of the Screen Songs, but there are definitely lots I haven't seen yet. Also, I'd like to see Fleischer Bros. silents, like Koko the Klown.

Classic animation is just that-classic, and to see more of it on TCM would be great. Would love to see many of the cartoons that Time Warner owns that will probably never make to DVD on the channel. Maybe COAL BLACK...?

Jerry Beck is my guest on this week's "The Commentary Track" podcast. Subscribe for free on iTunes or listen directly from the website: www.thecommentarytrack.com

And, for the record, I think TCM should show a WHOLE lot more animation. A weekly showcase would be a great start.

A weekly showcase would be nice. I wonder if a lot of old 'toons have rights issues, or cost a lot to show. Probably lots of the WB stuff is licensed out already. But, Fleischer, Van Beuren, even MGM don't get shown much at all.

Actually I've seen Coal Black on DVD. I think you can get through The Whole Toon Catalog.

A lot of Van Bueren and Flesiher cartoons is available through public domain DVD's. The Quality is iffy.

I'm also looking forward to Sunday night.

TCM is exactly where these cartoons belong. I can't wait for the 21st - my husband is also excited and he isn't really a cartoon buff. We'll be sitting side by side enjoying the programming with a big bowl of popcorn.

I am really looking forward to the 21st......Thank you TCM for doing this, but please, Don't let this be the only time that you do this. You should realy make this a regular once a month feature.

What TCM is doing with this special program of Rare Animation is magnificent and so overly due. I have always said (especially to my film and animation history students) that TCM is the greatest television network in the history of recorded entertainment and this Rare Animation program further confirms my feelings. TCM cares about live-action film history, and now they show they care for the history of the animated cartoon. I will be watching and I will be promoting this program to all of my animation students in Vancouver, B.C. A recurring program of animation on TCM is a no-brainer. Thank you TCM, Robert Osborne and the essential Jerry Beck!

Michael van den Bos

Film History and Animation History Instructor,

Capilano University / Vancouver Film School / Pacific Audio Visual Institute

Vancouver, B.C., Canada

I also hope this is the beginning of TCM and Warners showing more of the classic canon of cartoons they own the rights to and dont show. I would also like to see the 1930s WB shorts in black and white and the more "politically incorrect" cartoons run for an adult audience. You run feature films from almost all studios, why not their cartoons as well? Like the Lantz Universal shorts! I hope this is the beginning of regular showings of classic cartoons in their own show or festival, or at least on "EXTRAS" between the movies.

If TCM decides to keep this up, hopefully they can get some of the Disney animated classics as well. It's not like Disney's showing them or anything. Let someone who actually cares about broadcasting classic films show them!

As a long time classic cartoon fan, it gives me great pleasure to watch these gems with my 11 and 8 year old sons, who also love the old B&W's as well as the 1930's and '40's classics...

A new generation is there for the taking, for they can only watch so much SpongeBob and the others...

Thank God for TCM...keep up the great work...!!!

I'm a rabid fan of TCM, watch it all the time and I will also be taking advantage of this opportunity on Sunday. Animatioin, especially the older stuff, is very sophisticated and worth a million more views. Thanks to TCM for this wonderful opportunity.

I signed up for a TCM forum account specifically to reply to this thread and show my support for classic animation on this channel! I hope we can get more showings of these sadly now-rare gems. I grew up in the 80s and remember watching half-hour blocks of Disney, WB, Fleischer, and UPA shorts on TV all the time. Having access to those great films as a kid inspired me to become an animator. Thank you TCM for bringing some of them back! I can't wait for Sunday night :)

It is so heartening to see TCM paying tribute to classic animation. Let's hope the response to Sunday night's lineup is so great that we see a weekly feature of classic 'toons on the channel SOON!

Thank you, TCM, for finally giving animated films their due. I was a huge fan of Cartoon Alley, and hope you bring more of this programming back to regular scheduling. I originally started watching classic movies in order to better understand the references, jokes, and gags in classic animated shorts. These movies were often shown side by side with feature-length films...something I hope to see you continue.

THANKS!

Obviously, a lot of first-time posters are here because of the Cartoon Brew article. Welcome, and don't let your first post be your last! Come back after to comment on the programming. Let's let TCM know how much we like it, and how much we hope this is just the start of something regular!

Dear TCM,

Thank you for airing these genius vintage films -- they are the history of the films we treaasure today. I wiish you would air them regularly. Late Friday nights, maybe? Sunday nights! Awful! I had to rearrange my entire DVR to fit them all in. But I'm sure they'll be worth it. Anything by a Fleischer brother is.

Thanks, Arlene Herring, Brooklyn, NY

Edited by: moira on Oct 21, 2012 7:35 PM

Dear TCM,

Thank you for airing these genius vintage films -- they are the history of the films we treaasure today. I wiish you would air them regularly. Late Friday nights, maybe? Sunday nights! Awful! I had to rearrange my entire DVR to fit them all in. But I'm sure they'll be worth it. Anything by a Fleischer brother is.

Thanks, Arlene Herring, Brooklyn, NY