Sign in to follow this  
Lazyking

Kay Francis day What a delight!

132 posts in this topic

It was great to see Kay have her own special day. Loved watching her pre-code films with William Powell. Loved watching one of my favorites Mandalay with her as Spot White.

Even a line-up of the most run-of-the-mill, badly edited and somewhat truncated pre-codes is worth watching (not just Francis's films, I'm speaking generally here.)

Some people'll sit and watch 12 hours straight of B-westerns, B-musicals, B-horrors...not me.

But line-up a day's worth of 70 minute pre-code B's, and seven times out of ten, my butt'll be parked 'til the end.

They may not be great, but they're (usually) inn-teresting and watchable.

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote} I've been waiting on TCM to show Charley's Aunt.........

I can't imagine why, when the print quality is a disgrace. As far as I am concerned, there is a limit to my tolerance for such garbage, regardless of how good the story line and performances may be. If enough people would refuse to watch this, TCM might possibly decide to show a print of decent quality.

However, the odds are strongly against it. They will likely continue to stumble along without a clue, as they do in so many areas. For many years It was indeed an award-winning website. Somebody should let RO know, so that he cannot be accused of false advertising.

How times have changed.

musikone

> {quote:title=musikone wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote} I've been waiting on TCM to show Charley's Aunt.........

> I can't imagine why, when the print quality is a disgrace. As far as I am concerned, there is a limit to my tolerance for such garbage, regardless of how good the story line and performances may be. If enough people would refuse to watch this, TCM might possibly decide to show a print of decent quality.

>

It is the print of 1930 version of CHARLEY'S AUNT that looks bad, NOT the Kay Francis version (from 1941).

The 1941 version should look great when TCM runs it (if they can get the rights issues straightened out).

I love our Miss Kay. What a treat, all day w/Kay. Yay! Well, here's the deal: no TROUBLE IN PARADISE, so I had to whip that out of my own taping and put that on during one of her slow ones; but it was ok. She looked best in Travis Banton at Paramount.

Loved the one where George Brent is building the Golden Gate Bridge, and she has to stand up to him for her own career. Love you, Kay Francis!

Well, how would I know the print is a disgrace if I've never seen it??

Yes, I love Mandalay too. I wish it had been a bit longer. Some details never get explained. Like why did Kay have to hide out on Cortez's yacht in the first place? What was she on the run from? Seems like scenes were cut..........Despite all the talk about Shirley Temple being in it, I've yet to spot her........

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Yes, I love Mandalay too. I wish it had been a bit longer. Some details never get explained. Like why did Kay have to hide out on Cortez's yacht in the first place? What was she on the run from? Seems like scenes were cut..........Despite all the talk about Shirley Temple being in it, I've yet to spot her........

In answer to your two questions: Maguffin and Maguffin.

All those pre-codes have such a truncated feel. As much as I loved The House on 56th Street, it was like it was edited by someone with a severe case of ADD...Parts even reminded me of the Thelma Todd/Groucho/Zeppo/etc. bedroom farce sce(CUT) in (CUT) Horse Fea (CUT) ers.

Shirley Temple played "third **** on the right" in the scene where Kay descends the staircase in that gorgeous sparklng gold sequin number.

Yes, many of those early 30s films have that chopped up feel. Like a scene cant run more than a minute or so. I know they had double bills back then but still.......

Yeah, right (LOL). Shirley in a brothel.............

Thankfully, TCM is helping with that. Kay did say, "I Cant Wait to be Forgotten!" but I dont think she meant it...........

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}

> Yeah, right (LOL). Shirley in a brothel.............

She did an absolutely *filthy* version of On the Good Ship Lollipop. Sadly, the scene was cut in the U.S. and the negative was destroyed under orders from the Reagan administration.

I'd seen most of the Kay Francis SUTS movies before, but the one I liked the best of those I hadn't seen was Stranded. I kept expecting her to cave in to Brent's demands at the end, but when push came to shove he was the one who backed down. It's kind of unusual to see such a combination of total infatuation and stubborn independence in the Hollywood women of that era, but Kay managed to pull it off beautifully. It wasn't on the level of Trouble in Paradise or some of her other pre-codes, but taken on its own terms it was one of her more interesting roles.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=musikone wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote} I've been waiting on TCM to show Charley's Aunt.........

> > I can't imagine why, when the print quality is a disgrace. As far as I am concerned, there is a limit to my tolerance for such garbage, regardless of how good the story line and performances may be. If enough people would refuse to watch this, TCM might possibly decide to show a print of decent quality.

> It is the print of 1930 version of CHARLEY'S AUNT that looks bad, NOT the Kay Francis version (from 1941).

> The 1941 version should look great when TCM runs it (if they can get the rights issues straightened out).

Yes, it is the print of the 1930 version that I am talking about. I would definitely like to see the Kay Francis version from 1941, if and when it ever shows up.

musikone

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Well, how would I know the print is a disgrace if I've never seen it??

Now you know:( . You can't know just how lucky you are, not to have been *assaulted* by the 1930 version of Charley's Aunt. To the best of my recollection, this has shown up here about three times within the last year. After that first time, I vowed that I would never try to see this thing again!

musikone

Not a fan. Never was, but I did watch My Bill and enjoyed it and the rest of the cast. Dickie Moore! So good in that one! But I remember thinking..this lady (Kay) is such a bad actress! LOL Sorry but just my lowly opinion, I know. ;)

I really like Kay Francis and my fav movie of hers wasn't shown, TROUBLE IN PARADISE.

It's not scheduled but it regularly makes the rounds.

AndyM108: Boy, do I agree! Who knew that movie STRANDED? It was so good, Kay and George Brent, and it's going along, and we're watching all the interplay, and the subplot w/her new roommate, and then it dawns on you as you're watching: Hey, aren't they building the Golden Gate Bridge behind all the action? And you look at the release year, and then you're really into it! How about that for background? I happen to live in Northern California, so I guess I couldn't help notice the history going on in the background there, but it weally was a wery good movie. Kay sure stood her ground!

I have been a big fan of Kay Francis ever since 1997 when I first got TCM and I have almost every Kay Francis film I can get my hands on. But before that I had seen her in In Name Only and even with Carole and Cary in it, Kay Francis made a big impression on me. She's always been one of my favorites. And I am looking forward to Warren William. With Irene Dunne today and Lillian Gish already, this has been one of my favorite SUTS. Thanks, TCM!

Edited by: allaboutlana on Aug 24, 2012 8:52 AM

LOL! So that's why we dont see her! (I knew there was a reason........)

They dont have as easy an access to Trouble In Paradise, since its Paramount. But it does pop up occasionally. I would've liked to have seen it again too.....She made a dozen or so Paramount films (plus loan outs) that TCM has never shown. Have wanted to see Girls About Town for years. How about it TCM? I think its RKO, so I dont understand why they cant rent it..........

Edited by: Hibi on Aug 24, 2012 9:33 AM

I saw Stranded years ago (maybe when Kay was SOTM), but I've forgotten what went on. I recorded it to watch this wknd (George Brent is in it! :D)

I tend to be days behind others because I DVR everything and sometimes don't get them for days.

I just watched WOMEN ARE LIKE THAT today and absolutely hated the final half hour of the thing.

O'Brien destroys Kay's business because his feelings were hurt that she saved the business earlier instead of him and he is still an unapologetic smug jerk to the end...and she takes him back. Sheesh!

STRANDED had a much better message.

Edited by: ginnyfan on Aug 26, 2012 4:29 PM

I finally caught up on the 3 Kay films I recorded over the wknd (Keyhole, Stranded and Give Me Your Heart) all with GEORGE BRENT!

Stranded was unusual as it had a lot of plot that wasnt concerned with Kay's man problems. Did anyone notice The Keyhole was VERY similiar in its plot to One Way Passage? Give Me Your Heart was better than I remembered it being. I enjoyed all three.......

Kay Francis had two types of movies she was good at: A few of the better pre-codes like Trouble in Paradise and Jewel Thief, and then in some of her later movies where she plays the role of a bighearted, stand-up woman with such utter conviction that my cynical heart melts right away. Three of the better ones in this latter category are Stranded; My Bill, which I just watched last night; and the better one of the two where she played Sybil Jason's mother, I Found Stella Parish. Maybe it's just that her physical beauty overrides my critical faculties, and maybe in IFSP it's that Sybil Jason is my favorite child actor, but though I can't stand the generic contrived Hollywood happy ending, I was absolutely taken by the endings in those three. There's a fine line between seriousness and solemnity, and a parallel line between sincerity and sappiness, but in her better movies Kay always manages to stay on the right side of it, and it's a much rarer skill than often gets acknowledged.