Sign in to follow this  
Mythoughts

Marlon Brando

39 posts in this topic

The thing I most remember about Brando in his later years was that in the presence of Johnny Depp, he was laughing himself silly over a **** machine.

> {quote:title=ValeskaSuratt wrote:}{quote} Totally agree, and then along with the mumbling (or maybe to counter criticism of it ?) he does accents: Japanese in Teahouse of the August Moon,

Even as Sakini in Teahouse he mumbles. :8}

> {quote:title=Lori3 You Asked: }{quote}Now I remember reading that at Wally Cox's funeral, Brando became hysterical and took Cox's ashes way from the widow Mrs.Cox. Mrs. Cox was going to go to court to get the ashes back but she changed her mind stating Marlon Brando needs the ashes more than I do.

>

> Is this true or just one of those Hollywood stories?

>

Yes, it is sort of true, in that Marlon took charge of the situation and Wally's wife (his third) didn't want to make a public scandal out of the funeral. Marlon felt because he had know Wally longer than his wife and looked upon himself as family to Wally, it was best he be the recipient to the ashes! Marlon then hid Wally's ashes at his home, fearing that they could be stolen or a family member of Wally's might come out of the shadows and demand they be returned. There are still these conflicting reports on just what really happened to both the cremated remains of Marlon and Wally. One report says they both ended up spread in of all places Death Valley! I'm banking on the story they ended up spread over the Pacific Ocean, near the beloved island home of Marlon in Tahiti.

> {quote:title=Lori3 Then You Asked:}{quote}

> I also read that Brando asked Kazan if Garfield was "gay" because he went by name "Julie." Kazan sort of laughed and said. "You can't find a "more heterosexual" actor than John Garfield.

>

>

> True or another Hollywood or maybe NY Broadway story?

>

GOOD QUESTION! This is my kinda stuff! Well, you may know that Marlon was in so many ways, consider the heir apparent to Julius. During Marlon’s time at the “Actor’s Studio,” there was an accentuated point to say that Julius was the first and most important exponent of “method acting” for the motion picture genre, in as much as Julius had also been a fine stage actor. It’s now believed that Marlon did take in many of the attributes to The Method first advocated by Julius. This doesn’t mean that Marlon had copied Julius, but he was after all is said and done, the foundation Marlon needed to start from, while he studied with his teacher and mentor, Stella Adler. It’s no secret to anyone who knows the history of Method Acting that at the beginning of his acting career, Marlon actually studied whatever he could about Julius, going to see his films and talk to those at the Actor’s Studio who knew Julius, especially that time early in his career, when he first started out.

As Marlon was able to get noticed and acquire good parts in various plays on Broadway, he kept himself in a close proximity to the aura of Julius and many began to notice a style that reminded them of when Julius first burst upon the acting scene. However, there was a big difference between the two, a very wide gap that had more to do with a natural flow of technique to applying the Method form of acting. Julius was in many ways prone to not creating something of a gimmick towards his abilities, whereas Marlon thrived on a sort of sensationalism that he enjoyed exploiting. All of this led right up to a comparison of both actors, even in their private lives. Well, within this area, Julius was somewhat laidback and didn’t like to brag nor make any flamboyant points about his sexual prowess. Despite his having had numerous love affairs, Julius remained low keyed about this part of his life. Marlon was more open about his sexuality to the point of not exactly seeking publicity about it, but allowing rumors and hints to the whole idea he was unconventional. In the case of Julius, he had been exposed to some sort of homosexuality, but not to an extent of becoming involved with the lifestyle. He kept his distance to a level of respect. The entertainment world has always been a place with many odd and freakish people, it takes a lot of tolerance and understanding towards this environment.

While I can’t say for sure that Marlon asked Kazan the question, I do know that Marlon became obsessed with Julius, knowing something of his past and because there was this comparison between both men, it stands to reason that Marlon would ask this sort of question. This comes about, due in large part to Marlon becoming a bit distorted about where the cut the line between his acting career and his private life or as he sometimes felt there was this very thin line for any Method Actor to take between the reality of his or her life and that of their acting profession. As for Julius, he was on the straight and narrow of his life, not really having experimented in areas that Marlon would later undertake and be associated with. It’s a known fact that numerous, popular Method Actor’s were either gay or bisexual. Marlon was for the early time of his career in New York somewhat bisexual. So was James Dean considerably bisexual and of course Monty Cliff was deeply entrenched in a secretive gay life. There are other actors I might mention, but it’s best to simply let it go and not be so technical over the issue. Years ago, I remember Jimmy Dean responding to a question about his sexuality and he answered, “You don’t expect me to live with one hand tied behind my back?” If Julius had been asked the same question, he would have answered, “Just ask anyone who knows me well enough and been around the block with me.” Get it? ;)

Sometimes I wonder if it would be a good thing if actors, who could afford to, retired at a certain point in their careers... I mean, after a certain age, what's the point??

Brando should have bagged it after On The Waterfront, made a one film comeback with The Godfather, and then just retired to his butter farm and let the rest of the world live in peace. With the possible exception of his fellow Lard Lad Elvis, I can't think of an actor I'd rather see less in 90% of his movies. Just another cookie cutter prima donna who never grew up; every generation gets at least one or two like that.

One exception to the above may be The Ugly American, with its powerful final scene of the TV set being switched off abruptly out of apparent boredom in the middle of Brando's impassioned speech to his countrymen. I remember liking that movie when it first came out, but I can't recall ever seeing it listed on TCM

Thank you MovieProfessor for answering my questions so completely, and in such an interesting way.

I think I get it. Julius wasn't gay or bisexual he just liked the ladies. In the book I am reading parts from, there is a claim that Clifford Odets was gay or bisexual and that Brando and Odets got together. The book makes it sounds like Odets would have liked to have a deeper relationship with Julius, but it didn't happen and I am not sure why, unless Julius just said no to his good friend.

True or Hollywood gossip?

I read too, that at Julius's funeral Odets was quite hysterical and buried his face in his hands and couldn't stop crying. I just believed they were really good friends who loved each other like brothers would. Did Odets love Julius in a deeper way even though it was not fulfilled in the way he would of liked?

Do not kill the messenger here Brando fans, but in the book it states that Brando (in the beginning of his career) was quite jealous of Julius. And that Kazan stated that Julius had an affair with Odets wife. I am not sure which of wife. True or Hollywood gossip?

So MovieProfessor if you read this and feel like answering a few more questions that would be great.

Thanks

Lori

> {quote:title=Lori3 You Wrote: . . .}{quote}there is a claim that Clifford Odets was gay or bisexual and that Brando and Odets got together. The book makes it sounds like Odets would have liked to have a deeper relationship with Julius, but it didn't happen and I am not sure why, unless Julius just said no to his good friend.

> True or Hollywood gossip?

You are, without a shadow of any doubt, absolutely, positively correct! This issue was years ago conveyed to me by close friends of Julius and they certainly were very credible. Odets looked upon Julius as a sort of protégé, relating to the various ways in which Odets wanted to showcase Julius, seeing him as the archetype within America's struggling social problems. Early on, it looked as if Odets was something of a "big brother" to Julius, becoming an adviser and offering his emotional support. However, Julius was a contented married man at the time. When Odets did reveal some deeper feelings, Julius simply distanced himself from Odets hidden lifestyle. They managed to some extent to remain good friends, leading right up to the time they were reunited to work together on the film "Humoresque." There are of course, different versions of these tales and rumors. It’s just the way of things that past situations become expanded upon and perhaps exaggerated. There was nothing ever so complicated about the relationship Julius would have with Odets. It ended up being one of mutual respect.

> {quote:title=Lori3 You Also Mentioned: }{quote}Do not kill the messenger here Brando fans, but in the book it states that Brando (in the beginning of his career) was quite jealous of Julius. And that Kazan stated that Julius had an affair with Odets wife. I am not sure which of wife. True or Hollywood gossip?

I wouldn't exactly call it any sort of personal jealously, in that Marlon wanted so much to get to know Julius and absorb the essence of his talents. This is simply a form of professional envy that has more to do with a need to feel one can be at or reach an equal plain with their idol. Julius admired Marlon to some reasonable degree, but he wasn't as amicable as Marlon would have referred. There was a rumor or stated by some that Julius did have a close relationship with Odets wife, actress Bette Grayson. The strange thing was that she died only two years later, after Julius had passed on.

TCM has shown The Ugly American, but I have never seen it..........

Thank you MovieProfessor for answering my questions, you are wonderful!

I think maybe I am not being fair to Mr. Brando, because I know I read somewhere that after his success either on Broadway with the play "A Street Car Named Desire" or maybe it was after the film, Garfield made some type of statement where he indicated that Brando has taken (Method) acting to a new and truthful area. So, I am sure Garfield admired Brando too.

Thanks

Lori

MovieProfessor,

I'd love to hear your thoughts on an old, anonymous, slightly crude and possibly apochryphal Hollywood quote:

"The definition of an actor is someone who'll stick it into anything."

To me, it means that for those movie stars -- male *and* female -- to whom acclaim and even "idolatry" becomes a significant perk of their career, the whole concept of sexual orientation goes out the window and the gender of their sex partners(s) is far less important than the ritualized meaning of the sex act: "you are loved."

For many people, such ambivalence toward what they consider rigid labels like "heterosexual," "bi-sexual" and "homosexual" is uncomfortable in the extreme as it toys with the images that have been created around both those terms and the stars themselves.

As he did in so many aspects of his life, Brando cared little for established norms of behavior and pursued his own path without (too much) regard for what anyone else thought.

In a way, it's unfortunate that society's discomfort with non-heterosexual activity -- usually hidden behind the ardently-expressed notion that any speculation thereof is "nobody's business" -- has essentially buried the truth and we're left only with hearsay and rumor for "proof."

A touchy issue, but worth the risk if we are to keep MissWonderly entertained. :^0

Hi ValeskaSuratt. I am jumping in here just to put my two cents in, but I am sure the MovieProfessor will provide you with some great information.

You wrote: "The definition of an actor is someone who'll stick it into anything."

To me, it means that for those movie stars -- male *and* female -- to whom acclaim and even "idolatry" becomes a significant perk of their [career|http://forums.tcm.com/post%21reply.jspa?messageID=8672687#|Powered by Text-Enhance], the whole concept of sexual orientation goes out the window and the gender of their sex partners(s) is far less important than the ritualized meaning of the sex act: "you are loved."

First of all I think the definition of an actor, would also apply to professional sports person, e.g. Baseball player or Pro Golfer, or really anyone who is famous and rich.

Then with your last sentence. I think you mean to imply that actors and other famous people have sexual affairs because it makes them feel loved.

You might be right but I am not sure it always works that way thought for the actor or other famous people.

For example.

I read once that Errol Flynn was sharing a sexual "score" he had made with a fan, to a younger actor. Flynn stated all during the act, the woman kept saying, "oh Errol Flynn, yes, yes Errol Flynn, etc, etc." Flynn seemed a little upset with the woman, especially when he realized that she wasn't making love or having sex with Errol, the real Errol but rather with the image or star of Errol Flynn. I don't think he felt any kind of love at that time.

Make sense? It is also kind of like what Rita Hayworth once said, "Men fall in love with Gilda, but wake up with me."

I think the one thing that might cause the actor or famous, rich person some pain is if they ever stop to wonder, if I wasn't famous or rich would this person be with me right now?

Any ways, let see what the MovieProfessor has to say about all this.

Thanks

Lori

> {quote:title=Lori3 you wrote: }{quote}Hi ValeskaSuratt. I am jumping in here just to put my two cents in, but I am sure the MovieProfessor will provide you with some great information.

>

>

>

> You wrote: "The definition of an actor is someone who'll stick it into anything."

>

>

>

> For example.

> I read once that Errol Flynn was sharing a sexual "score" he had made with a fan, to a younger actor. Flynn stated all during the act, the woman kept saying, "oh Errol Flynn, yes, yes Errol Flynn, etc, etc." Flynn seemed a little upset with the woman, especially when he realized that she wasn't making love or having sex with Errol, the real Errol but rather with the image or star of Errol Flynn. I don't think he felt any kind of love at that time.

>

>

>

> Any ways, let see what the MovieProfessor has to say about all this.

>

>

>

> Thanks

> Lori

Well, in speaking of the mighty Errol Flynn, I'm now instantly reminded of hearing him hum and sing one of his all time favorite tunes. One that was in so many ways best representative of everything he came to know about his love for the profession! Some of you might remember this little ditty as Cole Porter would have said:

Hi-diddle-dee-dee

An actor's life for me

A high silk hat and a silver cane

A watch of gold with a diamond chain

Hi-diddle-dee-day

An actor's life is gay

It's great to be a celebrity

An actor's life for me

Hi-diddle-dee-dum

An actor's life is fun . . .

Hi-diddle-dee-dee

An actor's life for me

A wax mustache and a beaver coat

A pony cart and a billy goat

Hi-diddle-dee-dum

An actor's life is fun

You wear your hair in a pompadour

You ride around in a coach and four

You stop and buy out a candy store

An actor's life for me!

Hi diddle dee dee

An actor's life for me

A high silk hat and a silver cane

A watch of gold and a diamond chain

Hi diddle dee dee

You sleep till after two

You promenade a big cigar

You tour the world in a private car

You dine on chicken and caviar

An actor's life for me!

AN ACTOR'S LIFE FOR ME! :^0

> {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote}

> Brando should have bagged it after On The Waterfront, made a one film comeback with The Godfather,

Thank goodness he didn't. He made at least 10 good to great films after that, including my favorite, and one of his best, *The Fugitive Kind*.