Sign in to follow this  
vecchiolarry

Larry's Classic Star Reminiscences

606 posts in this topic

Thank's much for the wonderful profile on dear Martha Raye.

She was a hoot and I always enjoyed watching her in just about anything she did.

She is missed.

Mongo

Larry,

This only proves that your well has not, and will not run dry. And you said you had come to the last of your reminiscences! Ha!

Keep 'em coming. We're thirsty out here.

Larry, I've loved reading your memories of the late, great Mae Murray. I wonder if she ever discussed her movies with you--especially "Jazzmania" and "Valencia"? I've only seen one movie, "The Merry Widow" and Murray was just incredibly alive and exuberent. But whenever I read about her and see a list of her movies, they all sound fascinating--especially "The Delicious Little Devil". Even though she's been described as incredibly unworldly and dizzy, I'm still amazed she would allow her fortune to be stolen by that fake Prince. Did she ever discuss him? He and his brother were reputed to be great bedroom swordsmen.

Hi Paty,

I have only seen a couple of scenes from "The Merry Widow" - the ballroom scene, where she and Gilbert dance 'The Merry Widow Waltz'. And, a scene where she goes to slap him and he pushes her into a bramble bush and she stickes her tongue out at him.

I have never seen "Jazzmania" or "Valencia" or "The Delicious Little Devil"; in fact, I wonder if these pictures even exist anymore, as the studios didn't preserve their products very well.

No, Mae didn't discuss her movies with me; but Marion Davies and Betty Blythe both told me at different times that Maizie was the biggest movie star in the world for a couple of years after "The Merry Widow" and she, herself, said she was 'Queen of MGM' until 1928. I think that's when she walked out on them. "STUPID!!".....

As for the princes, Pola Negri never referred to her husband as Serge, but always as 'The Prince', sarcastically and derisively... Barbara Hutton spoke of Alexis as 'Ally or Allie' and looked sad; I think she did love him. Both Serge and Alexis died the same year, 1936; but David lived on in Europe. He did romance Danielle Darrieux and then ended up with Arletty, another French actress.

Both Mae and Pola were not broke and the princes didn't steal everything. Mae had a house in LA, cars and jewellery and some MGM and Famous Players stocks until about 1960. She continued to work on stage, in dance tours and in 1950 was in "Billy Rose's Cavalcade of Stars". She also produced a couple of movies in the 50's and had an autobiography out in the late 50's. She then, needed help in the 60's and sold nearly everything.

Her ex-husband, Pop Leonard and his wife, Gertrude Olmstead, helped her out and Loretta Young and George Hamilton and his mother, Anne Spaulding, also looked out for her.

In 1964, she had a stroke and went into Woodland Hills sponsored by my grandmother. Mae died a year later and Nell died a week after Mae.... Curious!!!!

Larry

PS - I just remembered, Mae did own a production company with Robert Z. Leonard, called "Tiffany Pictures" that released out of MGM and wasn't disbanded until 1968 after Pop Leonard died. So, Mae wasn't broke.

Larry--just read your remembrances about Martha Raye. Excellent! It showed me quite distinctly that she was far more than a comic with a big mouth. I always enjoyed watching her do her thing and she was one unique lady. Don't ever think I'll forget her. It's sad that her life was so filled with negative happenings.

Keep those memories coming, dear friend, as they add a lot to these boards. Thank you. :):) Sue

Larry, I so enjoy reading your posts. I check your's & Mongo's threads daily & am disappointed when there aren't new ones. You are a fascinating man. I have so many questions but I will be gentle..lol. Did you know Ann Harding?

Thanks for all your rememberances,

Laura :)

Hi Laura,

What a nice name. My governess was named Laura; she had been my father's and his sister's governess and also my grandmother's and her sister's governess. So she was, as the old saying goes, "an old family retainer"....

She lived to be 106 years old and died on her birthday.

No, I'm sorry to say, I did not know Ann Harding. I don't think she lived in LA when I was there and I don't think she was the kind of 'party girl' that several of my 'old ladies' were. She certainly would not have tolerated Betty Blythe nor Rose Douras for long.

I have only seen her in one movie, "The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit" and she was very patrician and maturely beautiful in that one.

Is Arlington, Texas anywhere near Austin? I leave tomorrow for Austin to do the "Pola Negri documentary"....

Then, I go to LA and then San Francisco and won't be back till October 17th, so unless I can clue in to how to operate my laptop with my home computer, I may not be posting much here. I'm computer stupid, really and technologically intimidated, so wish me luck!!!!!

Larry

Nifty thread, Larry. It always fascinates me to find out how often stars are different from the images they portray. I've read the entire thread from the beginnig and have to admit, I was very curious about who your Nell was. Then name Doheny rang a bell, so I looked it up. Sorry to bring up old skeletons, but your family is every bit as interesting as the stars they hung out with.

BTW, I'm also a sci fi fan--how does Larry Niven fit into this?

Tracey

Hi Tracey,

Glad you think the Doheny's are so interesting!!!! Most of them are as dull as dishwater, really; that's why I'm not announcing my LA visit to any of them.

There are so many and I'd spend my whole two weeks with them.

Larry Niven is a cousin of mine, or more accurately of my father's. He is about 4 or 5 years older than me and I last saw him in 1998. He's quite nice and writes sci-fi books, as you've noted. He is a mathematical genius and is into psychology, too. I am very interested in psychology also, but the math leaves me befuddled.

Larry

Hi Larry!

I am so glad that my name brings you happy memories. Arlington is about a 3 1/2 - 4 hr. drive from Arlington. Arlington is right between Dallas & Fort Worth. Will you be in Austin through next weekend? I would treasure it so if I could drive down meet you & take you to lunch/dinner.

I have such a passion for the movies from esp. the 30's. I have acquired a library of approx. 1200 movies from the 30's & earlier. I was born way too late, 1957. I hope you enjoy your stay in Austin it is quite a party, college town even though it is our state capital.

Have a wonderful trip!

How about Margaret Lindsay? Did you know her?

Thanks again for sharing your oh so interesting experiences!

Laura

Hi Laura,

Sorry, I did not know Margaret Lindsay.

My time in Austin is pretty well at the mercy of the Polish film crew that have visa's to be in Austin and San Antonio for 4 days.

I arrive Monday afternoon and then film on Tuesday and Wednesday.

On Thursday, we go to San Antonio to film Pola's house and condo. And, Friday morning I go to LA..

So, I could not promise you that I'd be able to meet up with you. However, it would be great if we could, but I don't want to make any promises and then disappoint you.

I may well be frazzled anyway from the plane trip (I have to change in Denver) and then with this bunch of inept retards filming this thing. So far, I have been very polite, kind and considerate; but they are ill-mannered and commanding. My mother is very surprised that I've tolerated them this long and fears for them that they are going to get a real blast any time soon. I have zero tolerance for bad manners and none of them even has heard the word 'please', let alone 'thank you'.....

So, you may not want to know me if I'm in 'explosive mood'........... Last night, at my nephew's wedding, my sister-in-law was in the ladies bathroom for about half an hour after I got through with her; she knows better but still wants to order me around. She may just now be getting over "the blast".. Our family is in a constant perpetual state of war, but we all agree on one thing - we all hate her!!!!!!!!

I'm taking my lap-top with me and have had my cousin (a computer nerd) link me up to this home computer. So I should be able to keep in contact.

E-mail me at "lawrencerussell@shaw.ca" and we will see if we can link up for lunch - my treat! But, I can't promise, although I'd like to!!!!

Well, wish me luck and hope you don't have to bail me out of jail for murder!!!!!! And, yikes.... Texas has the death penalty, doesn't it????

Larry

I have a near-miss story about Martha Raye. She introduced the owners of a dinner theater to each other; the woman worked with Martha in "Everybody Loves Opal." I was performing at the dinner theater when Martha, or "Maggie" as they called her attended the show and we were told we were meeting her afterwards. In the middle of the show, an ambulance pulled up and took her away. So I never got to meet her, alas. This would have been circa 1976.

Hi Chandler,

Sorry you didn't get to see Maggie. It would have been great to party with her after the show....

I wonder what was wrong with her that she needed an ambulance. She loved the theatre and wouldn't have missed it if she could help it!!

Did you at least get to see her in the audience?

Larry

Hi Everybody,

I will probably not be on the boards for the next 3 weeks. My guest arrives here in LA tomorrow from Denver and I will be busy showing him around. Then, I go to San Francisco and it's my turn to be shown around by friends there.

Should be home on October 17th.

I'll try to sneak a peek in on you all occasionally.

Cheers,

Larry

Oh, Larry, it's been so long since I've been on the boards. No, none of us got to see her in the audience either. What a shame.

By the way, did you ever see/know Tyrone Power? One of my favorites.

Hi Chandler,

No, I did not see nor know Tyrone Power although I knew Lana Turner at the time she was his lover (1947). She was in LA filming and he was in Mexico filming but they did get together!!!!!!!!

My grandmother, Nell, was a friend of his wife, Annabella; but I did not know her either.

Also years later, I knew Linda Christian slightly. She married him in 1949 and had two daughters by him, both of whom I also knew, but even more slightly........

I'd love to see them all again, they were very beautiful women.

Larry

Thanks, Larry. His daughter Romina is extremely beautiful. Taryn is beautiful also but I think has gained a great deal of weight. I have seen his son in some films and the resemblance to his father made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Truly amazing.

Tyrone Power's granddaughter disappeared in New Orleans some years ago (Romina's daughter) and the body was never recovered. She was the Vanna White of Italy, as she was on a game show. Very bizarre.

Hi Larry! Hope you are doing well "up" there. hehe

Didn't Ty also have a son? I was sure I saw a picture of him once and he was gorgeous and the spitting image of his dad? Maybe he was even in a movie?? Do you know about that - - my memory is not cooperating and my computer time is at an end for the nite or I'd do a search and try to find out more myself. lol

I need to get some time to come on here and read about your latest 'escapades'. :-)

Katyscarlett

Hi Scarlett,

Yes, Tyrone Power did have a son, also named Tyrone Power - the IV or V......

His mother was Tyrone's last wife, Deborah Minardos (??), not Linda Christian as I've read many times!

He was in the movie, "Cocoon" and played one of the aliens; and after that I've never seen nor heard about him again. He must be in his forties by now.

Larry

Larry, come to find out that Tyrone Power Jr. is currently in a Japanese movie titled "Lorelei: Witch of the Pacific Ocean" (2005). He plays the part of a US Battleship Captain (no kiddin').

He is now 46 years old and divorced with 1 son Tyrone, of course.

He was in about 12 films thus far, and on 2 episodes of "Cheers". He also once attempted a singing career.

You were correct in the spelling of his mother's name.

Mongo

Thanks Mongo,

I always am happy when you back me up and re-enforce my sketchy knowledge....

You're a good person to know!!

It would seem that all 3 of Tyrone Power's children should have had tumultuous Hollywood careers -- they're all gorgeous!! But, it was not to be; what went wrong???????

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

Thanks so much, you 2, I always glean so much information from both of you. ^^

I'll be on the lookout for Cocoon, although it doesn't sound very good - lol - and if Ty plays an alien, his good looks are likely all destroyed. I was amazed, Mongo, about the "Cheers" episodes - I watch TVLand all the time and I "don't think" I've ever seen him - what a hoot if I didn't even recognize him. Darsh it all! I really laughed at the comment about him being divorced with a son named Tyrone "naturally" - yep, what else? hehe

Thanks again.

Hi Scarlett,

Actually, Ty Power, Jr. looks pretty damn good in "Cocoon", not creepy at all.

And, Raquel Welch's daughter, Tawney (??), is in it too and she looks quite wonderful. She is her mother's daughter!!!!!!!

She has a scene in it where she provides Steve Guttenberg an "alien ****" -- it's quite funny, not yucky.....

Larry