Sign in to follow this  
bhryun

3D/2D

11 posts in this topic

I love TCM. I can't express in words how much so I won't try. I was more than a little excited to see the 3D film festival in April but was dismayed when I saw that the movies would be show in flat-screen 2D.

Now I understand the difficulties associated with broadcasting 3D movies but it would have been nice to see those films the way their makers intended them to be seen.

3D glasses are easy to find on the internet and really -- how many of you out there want to see the ball at the end of the paddle in ?House of Wax? soaring out of your TV and into your face?

I do.

Ah well ? like I said, I understand the reasons for the TCM doing the 2D broadcasts but I sure think this was a missed opportunity. I?ll still be watching the week of the 14th though.

I remember seeing 'Dial M for Murder? in 3D in the early 1980?s during a revival and I loved it. The 3D really made the movie POP. It just isn?t the same without it. Brilliant ? but not the same?

All right, enough about my problems ? has anyone here on the boards seen any classic (or not so classic) films in the theater in 3D? What did you think?

Should there be a revival of 3D or a revolt?

I actually haven't seen any in 3D. I remember seeing Dail M for Murder and wishing I could see it in 3D so badly. Your so lucky to have gotten a chance to see it like that.

I saw Spy Kids 3-D at the theater with my friend's kid and I had such a headache after wearing those glasses for over 90 minutes.

I was a little disappointed also that they're only showing 2-d. (Should have a 3d festival and include glasses in the now playing guide.) I have most of the classic 3d movies on dvd. They aren't the best quality because the studios have never released them. So until then, the bootlegs will have to do.

I was lucky. I was 13 years old and a friend of mine with little or no interest in movies suggested it. This was during the 3D resurgence that brought us Jaws3D and Starhunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone. And THOSE films will probably not show up on TCM. Hardly classics. Ugh.

Spy Kids 3D's problem (aside from the story) was that it had soooooo many colors. They confused the 3D process and my eyes giving me a splitting headache too.

3D works much better in Black & White or the earlier Technocolor processes.

Does spykids use anaglyph or polarized glasses?

If you want the see the classics in 3d at your home i would suggest field sequential glasses.

Back in the early "60"s i saw as a child William Castle's

"Thirteen Ghosts" in 3D they gave us the glasses it was a saturday matinee for kids. It was my introduction to 3D

movie watching i waas scared & thrilled at the same time!

It was a double feature with the movie "House on Haunted Hill" with vincent Price i can remember the skeleton

coming out of the acid vat was a light blue image & to

this day awesome!.....lolite.

yeah, those often make people dizzy or give headaches. It is best to see things polarized or field sequential. The classic movies in 3d for home use are converted to field sequential which allows you to see the movie in their normal colors while the anaglyph distorts everything to red and blusish. So it is common to get headaches from longuse.

would like to see more 3-D films shown in the more dimensional version on tv.

Naturally I have saved all my 3-D glasses that I've accumulated over the years, so I could supply a party of about twenty invitees with glasses, if TCM or anyone would show some films.

Most of my glasses are the red/green or red/blue style, but I do have a one pair with both lenses of the grey Polarized style, from a viewing of "House of Wax" that I saw in a theater.

I've seen a lot of films in 3-D, both on tv and in theaters and my personal opinion is that "House of Wax" has some of the best 3-D ever done. That Andy Warhol horror film in 3-D, had unnatural effects, with things like an impaled body dangling way out over the middle of the audience, as did that one Friday the 13th film, and early ones like "Bwana Devil" are also limited in their effectiveness.

Films that had only certain sections in 3-D, like "The Mask" are not too exciting, but if anything is shown on tv in 3-D, I always tape it. I have collected things like that Rolling Stones performance, one by the Judds I think, something on Fox called Foxerama, where they filmed a slew of their tv shows in 3-D, and assorted showing of some old 1950's films on tv in 3-D like "The Creature from the Black Lagoon", with tie ins at various fast food places which gave out free glasses.

I'd say the person who would probably be the best to make a 3-D movie now, would be someone like Tim Burton or John Waters, who would have fun with the possibilities.

I also collect old stereoptiscopes and the cards from the late 1890's, which are amazing. I'll watch anything in 3-D and do wish it would make a comeback.