Sign in to follow this  
bhryun

audio drop-out during "Sons of the Desert"

22 posts in this topic

I am currently watching the Laurel & Hardy classic "Sons of the Desert", Friday, April 1, 9:15PM - 10:20PM EST and the audio is repeatedly dropping-out. I watched the entire day of Laurel and Hardy films and there wasn't any other such problems. Is anyone else experiencing these problems. I have Time-Warner digital cable in Brooklyn, NY.

I am in Florida and I noticed the same problems here with the audio in "Sons of the Desert". I also noticed it in "The Devil's Brother" this afternoon.

Mongo

I noticed the same audio dropouts on Way Out West. Also, it is unfortunate that a better print wasn't available. The one that was aired appeared to be the colorized version with the color turned off. The image was very milky, and the print itself was pretty damaged.

I just noticed the same problems with "Blockheads," and I'm getting ready to tape "Pardon Us" right now. I hope this doesn't happen! It's so aggrevating! You can't even follow the film it's so intrusive. I hope TCM can fix it soon.

I live in Montana, also have DISH Network, and had the identical problems during the Laurel & Hardy films previously mentioned. I also know that this wasn't a Satellite problem because there was no pixel disintigration (the sure sign of signal interference). It was strictly an "off and on" audio interruption, and very disappointing, to say the least, especially for folks who weren't able to watch the full day's viewing and were looking forward to the primetime offerings.

It's a shame that this happened, for whatever the reasons, but I still wish to Thank TCM for giving us the full day of Laurel & Hardy films. This whole month is going to be a lot of fun for those of us who truly value these early comedy classics and stars.

Based on these comments, it sounds like there was an equipment/transmission problem last night. I will figure it out on Monday and we will certainly replay the movies in a couple of months.

I think Hallmark did this on purpose to prevent copying the films because others from turner did not have this problem.

Hi classicsfan1119...

I agree with you in regards to this month's showings on TCM. What a treat we are in for to watch so many wonderful comedy classics that I know I have rarely seen. Yesterday's "April Fools" kick-off was a lot of fun and essentially reintroduced me to Laurel and Hardy as I hadn't seen much of their work in so many years. Can't wait to watch more of all the great comedians. Thanks TCM! :-)

I applaud tcmprogrammer for his concern and his pledge to get to the bottom of the audio problems. I think a lot of us who viewed these films and had our enjoyment of those films impaired by the equipment/transmission problems would welcome another chance to see these films with no encumbrances.

There is one anomaly about last night's audio drop-outs that needs an explanation from tcmprogrammer, if one is available. Why did these audio-drop outs occur only during the airing of TCM's feature programs and not during the "filler" between the films. I never noticed drop-outs during any of Mr. Osborne's intros, or any "One-Reel-Wonders", or any "Word-of-Mouth", or any promotional trailers, etc. For a couple of the afflicted Laurel & Hardy movies, the audio drop-outs occurred right up to the very end of the film, but 5 seconds later Mr. Osborne's comments were completely free of any drop-outs. If anyone has a different experience please jump-in, but I only noticed the problems during the airing of the feature films. If the audio problem is a transmission problem, wouldn't everything suffer the fate of randomness that characterize "transmission" problems? And if the problems are equipment related, why did TCM run their features on defective equipment? I sent an email to TCM (tcm@turner.com) on Mon., Mar. 28, informing them of the identical problem when they aired "Easter Parade" last weekend. The curious thing about that occurrence was that "Easter Parade" ran twice in a 12 hour span and both airings had identical audio drop-outs. Other viewers reported the same problem on this message board (as did I) but TCM did not respond. Only now that a day that TCM had vigorously promoted has been spoiled by "equipment" problems does anyone at TCM take notice. If TCM does indeed re-run these Laurel & Hardy classics in a couple of months will TCM give its viewers the same advance notice/promotion the second time around?

personally i think hallmark did the sound drop outs on purpose without tcm knowing about it. from when i watched, it only happened on hallmark titles that are out on dvd here. (blockheads, sons of the desert, etc) So I think they did it so if someone recorded it they wouldn't want it.

and like you said it didn't happen at all with robert osborne or anything else except the select features.

jimnxsq - the problem with "Easter Parade" is what made me think it was a transmission problem with the Laurel & Hardys; from what I understand, there was an equipment issue during the first airing of that film - the way the system is set up (and I just learned this myself last week), the server records anything that's scheduled to replay within 24 hours and just replays it as it went out

the fact that there wasn't any issue with the Osborne intros/outros on the Laurel & Hardys does suggest it was with the tapes themselves

honestly, this isn't my area of expertise, but I do promise to try to figure it out and correct it

I didn't say so in my initial posting, but yes, I also think the problem is a "copyright-protection" issue. If this is the case, TCM is also guilty. This same audio problem occurred last week with "Easter Parade" and in the Robert Osborne 'follow-up' immediately after the movie, he hawked a DVD featuring "Easter Parade". (refer to my posting "Audio drop-outs during "Easter Parade")

If true, I think TCM and other networks should come clean and admit that the upgrade to digital programming has its downside. Now, viewers can obtain "free" and with no copyright legalities of any kind, "perfect" DVD quality tapings of TCM's film holdings. I think TCM is in a conflicted position now. They can't offer this DVD quality at no cost to its subscribers and also sell the same product on DVDs. It would seem to me that they also can't negotiate with holders of other films to "borrow" their movies to air on TCM if TCM allows a perfect digital "copy" of that film to be aired.

tcmprogrammer, I apologize that my last posting went out before I had a chance to read your latest reply. I do hope we can get this all straightened out to allieviate any suspicions we might have. Thanks.

The audio dropouts are not just a phenomenon of yesterday.They have been ongoing for about three weeks.As I time shift many of the movies from TCM, if a copy would help to determine the problem,I would be glad to send it along.

Thanks to TCM for being a safe haven in the Gulag of broadcast television.

Hello all,

Having lurked around here for a long time, I know how highly anticipated yesterday's programming was for so many people - myself included. And I, too, was disappointed and frustrated that, of all days, this would have had to happen during the Laurel & Hardy showcase.

FWIW, i noticed audio dropouts on CNN this am (about 9 am PST) so there may be trouble with Turner's Satellite System as a whole. Or it may be a serendipitous coincidence. But I won't believe RHI "sabotaged" their property for the TCM broadcasts.

Leaving out a key ingredient in a recipe makes for a funny sitcom episode but makes bad business relationships.

Kyle in Hollywood

I like TCMProgrmmer believe it is a technical/Transmission problem. It has been going on now for several weeks and again today (saturday). I don't think Hallmark did it because they would loose business from TCM and others.

I noticed the same thing the other night when TCM was running Reds. So I assume it's a transmission problem they are having.

Ariel

It was disappointing indeed. I had been looking forward to these L&H films ever since they were announced.

I tend to disagree with the person who says that it is Hallmark that caused these audio problems with the prints. It's true that Hallmark doesn't pay enough attention to their L&H titles, and should really do more to restore and release them, but, I don't think they would deliberately ruin the audio on them. That's just crazy on their part.

And I was also wondering why the fillers, promos, and Osborne segments were free of any audio problems. Right after "Blockheads" ended I was getting my tape set up for "Pardon Us," and I noticed that NONE of the fillers, promos or anything had audio problems. Is it because the movies themselves run off of a seperate server?

In any case, thank you tcmprogrammer for addressing the problem for us. I'm sure you'd like to figure out what happened just as much as we'd like to know. And I'm very happy to hear that you will re-schedule the movies at a later date.

the dropouts during the Laurel and Hardy film.

Being that I was not taping, I started flipping channels. I was just glad to know that my new tv was not defective!

I'd get into the conspiracy hypothesis, but I'm still working on clearing Lee Harvey Oswald as the lone shooter, so my hands are currently full.

Interesting theories are abounding though....

Regardless, I'd like to thank TCM for the comedy schedule, and I have been enjoying it [sound or no sound] and look forward to all the other gems scheduled for this month, with Charley Chase, Buster, Lloyd et cetera.