Sign in to follow this  
zombi6422

Thanks for L&H Friday But...

12 posts in this topic

Why didn't hallmark give TCM any good prints of their films? There are restored prints on the UK and other european dvds and yet we still have to make do with the edited, scratched, and grainy used in the 80s. Also Way Out West yesterday was the colorized version of the film changed to b&w hence the ghostly image and blurryness. Then on the films considered their best (Sons of the desert, etc) there was a sound problem. Laurel and Hardy hadn't been seen on tv offically in probably over 10 years and it is almost like they're trying to make the experience as horrible as possible; so they won't have to show it again. I am not bashing TCM by any means but it is depressing to see Hallmark treat Laurel and Hardy in this way.

All what you've said is true, but, i so thoroughly enjoyed these gems... I am going to be on TCM all this month.

zombi6422 - I agree with you that the quality of the Laurel & Hardy films along with the sound problems on TCM's end of things led to a depressing experience.

April 1st was supposed to be all about frivolity and a carefree attitude, but for me the problems left me tense and less than carefree. I was constantly worrying about whether I would be able to hear the next line of dialog. If I didn't hear the next line, which occurred dozens of times in several films, then the line I did hear would not make much sense. I also don't feel any of us have to apologize, as others have done, to TCM for being disappointed with the kick-off to "April Fools Month". I don't recall any of the countless promos that TCM aired for "April Fools Month" or for the day of Laurel & Hardy coming with a disclaimer that you watch at your own risk or that TCM wasn't responsible for any technical "glitches" during their broadcast. The very reason many of us are down on TCM and the technical problems is that we do indeed rely on TCM for quality entertainment. The quality of the entertainment on April 1st was high indeed, but the technical problems coming from TCM, and the buck rests with TCM because they surely pre-screen any film they pay to air, was not of high quality. We've come to expect it and TCM has done everything to encourage that expectation. I could not wait for the Laurel & Hardy day to kick-off the "April Fools Month" on TCM and although not all of the movies had problems the very fact that these films air so rarely made the technical problems all the more upsetting.

I'm glad to know that everyone else experienced sound problems. I didn't know if it was my equipment or what, now I know it is TCM. I guess they will have to update their aging equipment and get it fixed, because it was happening on saturday again. There is no where else to go to for programming like this, so I'll have to be satisfied with TCM, and hope all the sound bugs get ironed out.

I'd just like to add my thanks without the 'but..'. After quite a depressing week Laurel & Hardy were just what I needed. "Way Out West" and "Sons of the Desert"; its been so long since Ive seen them, and even if the sound and picture wasn't perfect, it was still a good time and some much needed laughs! I do hope they can show them over sometime without the skips though.

I agree totally on the marathon being shown, but the times indicated on your schedule and the movie's actual running times seem to differ. I lost the last parts of several: "Pardon Us", "The Devil's Brother", "Chickens Come Home", "Bohemian Girl", "Beau Hunks", and the first one "MGM's Parade of Comedy" because your schedule times did not match the running times. Can you please re-run these along with the other two mentioned that had poor sound coordination.

Thanks HEAPS!

Oh, by the way, in case no one noticed, on Monday, About noon EDT, you ran a rare clip of "THE ROGUE SONG" Thank you VERY much for this!

SkipH

Hello skph924,

Yes, I saw the clip with Laurel & Hardy today.

It was shown with no announcment right after another clip that contained a musical presentation of Tiptoe Through the Tulips. At first, I was very confused and not sure of what I was seeing. All I knew was that I'd never viewed any L&H movie which included a scene with them running into a bear, after taking shelter in a cave during a rain storm. I had the feeling that this clip might be from THE ROGUE SONG. So, I checked my trusty L&H reference book, and sure enough, the scene and dialogue were described exactly. This was a wonderful surprise. Did anyone else see this?

regarding the sound - our technical department has figured out that there was a particular tape deck that was causing problems over the past couple of weeks; I was told that it was replaced yesterday and that it shouldn't happen again

I hope that's the end of this one - if not then please don't hesitate to let us know

hey that's great that you found the piece of equipment that was causing the problem. I was also reading on a laurel and hardy messageboard earlier today and one of the members wrote to tcm and received a nice response. They basically said that they were trying to finalize the deal with hallmark until the last minute and as a result tcm didn't have the time to find the best sources possible. Right now they are working on finding the best prints available and are planning on showing the l&h festival again in a few months.

Thanks tcmprogrammer for informing us of what happened. Good to know that it wasn't the prints! And I'm looking forward to seeing their films again on TCM, you guys do a great job, thanks again.

honestly though, the 9 or 10 vhs laurel and hardy set that I had from the mid 1980s had better quality than what was shown on tcm. I cannot wait until tcm replays these titles once they find nicer prints though. ;)