Sign in to follow this  
flickerknickers

A Letter from Deanna Durbin!

10 posts in this topic

Gather 'round me, my fellow TCM buffs, because I've just received a letter from one of the truly legendary movie stars of the Golden Era--Deanna Durbin! Our always dependable Movie Joe posted her address on our other Deanna Durbin thread. I promptly sat down and wrote her a letter about a month ago. In today's mail, I received a letter from Paris. The writer was none other than Deanna Durbin David. I had written Deanna about the joy her movies were still bringing to new generations of movie buffs. Her six movies in the Sweetheart Pack DVD collection are best-sellers. She replied: "What a wonderful letter! Thank you for all your kindness and those warm and wonderful remarks. Your enclosed card of New York showed what a great place that town is...one of my favorites. As ever, Deanna." You may remember from the other thread that Deanna left Hollywood in l949 at the very peak of popularity. As Hollywood's highest paid star, she departed America a very wealthy woman. She moved to a small village outside of Paris with her new husband and has lived there quietly since l949. Despite countless pleas from movie and Broadway moguls to return for a show biz comeback, she has been steadfast in her refusal. IF any of you are interested in writing this still fabulous songbird, here's her address once more:

Deanna Durbin David,

B.P. 3315,

75123 Paris Cedex 03,

France

The tragedy of stars like Deanna is that her movies are never shown anywhere. AMC showed them nearly ten years ago but today, it's purely word-of-mouth. This is the same malady that hangs over the careers of once silent screen gods and goddesses like Pola Negri, Mae Murray, Colleen Moore. Nobody ever sees their work. It would be so great if TMC could plan a Deanna Durbin Festival in the near future and let viwers unfamiliar with her work, see the magic she brought to the screen. Write Deanna today! She'd love to hear from you!

Great Paty!

You're really very, very lucky; I've heard she never answers fan letters.

Thanks for telling us all.

Dear Paty:

Delighted to hear you received a response from Deanna. I know what a huge fan of hers you are. I have a Group on Deanna and two of the members have indicaated that they also received responses to recent letters they had sent her.

However, one of these members had written Deanna a few months earlier and was disappointed not to receive a reply. The success of the other (newer) member encouraged her to try again, and she was thrilled to receive a reply this time.

I imagine that, due to the continuous overflow of mail she continues to receive from fans, Deanna could not continue to maintain her decision to "re-retire" following her husband's passing. A very gracious lady, considering she answers all the mail herself and has been retired for over half a century.

A few weeks ago, I sent Deanna some materials I thought she might enjoy looking over (though not with a request for a resposne/reply). From what I've read, she seems to be quite "up" on the material written about her since she retired, so I suspect that she may have seen/heard this material before, but, if so, perhaps she'll enjoy checking it out again.

Thanks Paty! I'm so glad the address worked! She sounds like a charming lady. I think I'm gonna write to her myself, especially since I just saw her in "Three Smart Girls" for the first time about a week ago. She stole the whole movie from a GREAT cast of character stars, as well as Ray Milland.

And stoneyburke, if you want to write to Lizabeth Scott, the address that I have for her is :

8277 Hollywood Boulevard

Los Angeles, CA 90069

I got this off of www.stararchive.com, of which I'm a member. Someone else wrote to her at this address and said that they received a signed photo, so perhaps it will work for you. She is very elusive, so who knows whether or not the autograph is actually hers, but it's worth a shot.

Thank you, moviejoe79! I'll do it. When someone sees my plaintive little letter telling her how MUCH her film noir films have meant to me, perhaps they will tell her.

Then my job here will be done.:)

That's really great ! - Of all the surviving stars of the "Golden Age of Hollywood", she has always been the most elusive - and IMO the most deserving of praise.

Stoney, I'm lucky enough to own a marvelous original signed and dedicated still of Liz Scott, from the 1940s. She looks stunning in it. I could scan it and send it to you if you want :).