Sign in to follow this  
joefilmone

"The Girl" (2012)

13 posts in this topic

This HBO production should have premiered in Lifetime and they could have called "The Tippi Hendren Story: I Was Sexually Harrassed By Famous Creepy Director"

I loved it. Joe, this was bound to happen. Tippi Hedren has her case, let's not deny her that. The actor who played Hitchcock, see you at the Emmys! But at the end of the day, Hitchcock is beyond caricature. HBO's movie was quite a ride.

I liked the movie specially the behind the scenes re-creation of the making of " The Birds" but I would have done more like a thriller than this woman's picture approach.

Hey Joe, I can't see this movie yet because I don't get HBO. But I am surprised that you thought the movie would be anything more than a "woman's picture." Wasn't this based on Tippi Hedren's book? Wouldn't it be nice to talk with some of the other actors who worked on The Birds with Hedren. I imagine that Hitchcock wouldn't have even bothered to answer Hedren's complaints. Actually, you know what - who cares?

I would like to know how you would have approached the making of the film though - it would be interesting to have a man's ideas on this movie, please.

I would have done it as a psychological thriller-it could still be told from the girl's point of view but show how her image of Hitchcock change from a perfect English gentleman to a sexually harrasing monster. The filmmakers do use some Hitchcock imgagery like a "Psycho" shower head . I'm reading Spotos'"Spellbound by Beauty" which is suppose to be the inspiration for the screenplay.

>but show how her image of Hitchcock change from a perfect English gentleman to a sexually harrasing monster.

You mean, sort of like an average American guy of that era?

"The Girl" reminded me of "My Week With Marilyn" in the way in which it played out, with studio scenes alternating with real life ("real" according to the source, at least), but I don't know that I'd consider either a "women's" picture. Tippi, of course, didn't have either Marilyn's clout (as a co-producer) or Marilyn's entourage to buffer her conflicts with her director, being new to the business and a lesser talent than Marilyn. It's interesting that there hasn't been (or has there? I haven't heard it.) the same kind of controversy about the Marilyn film and that Clarke's claim of intimacy with Marilyn seems to be mostly unchallenged. Personally, I'm inclined to watch both on their own terms and then think about them later. I'll admit that "The Girl" doesn't sit as well with me on later reconsideration as "My Week With Marilyn" did, but that could be because the stakes for the central character are higher and the overall revelations more disturbing. As I wrote in another thread, "The Girl" is by no means the last word on the subject, but, in a time when we're finally talking about violence and the various indignities aimed at women, Tippi's story is at least worthy of our consideration.

Tippi did not write a book about her experiences, though I'm sure she had input to the movie. I dont get HBO, so I dont know about the credits. I'm sure someone else wrote the screenplay.......

I assume it just covers the years she was under Hitchcock's "tutelage"........

"My Week With MarilyN" was more like a young man's fantasy with the star presented as magical influence in his life. " The Girl" is much more darker look at Hollywood's star making machine.

Sure. I just brought up "My Week With Marilyn" since both films were constructed in somewhat the same way and both films ask the audience to accept on faith certain assertions about deceased movie icons. The success of "My Week With Marilyn" may even be the reason "The Girl" was greenlighted in the first place. Also, "MWWM" is more than a young man's fantasy since the adult Clark, who wrote his books decades later, made very specific claims about the extent of his relationship with Marilyn, who was married to Arthur Miller at the time and for several years thereafter.