Sign in to follow this  
calvinnme

The vast majority of the 31 Days of Oscar - February and March 1-3

327 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=RaquelVixen wrote:}{quote}They run commercials on FLIX so it's as if you're not really seeing it complete plus they may edit it to fit in the time slot.

Unless something has changed recently, FLIX (a Showtime channel) doesn't show commercials. You must be thinking of another channel.

*Top Billed wrote: "Because the Oscars are held every year, we can expect the 31 Days of Oscar on TCM every year."*

I don't think that your conclusion needs to follow (and I certainly don't think it SHOULD follow). We don't have to expect an Oscar series every year, unless TCM is under some obligation to the industry to do that. I do know, as someone who has produced more than 100 programs a year -- live and on film and tape -- that nothing is easier than recycling and putting the same product in a different series into which it also fits.

I expect more creativity from TCM, and we're not getting it in this year's Oscar series.

I expect more creativity from TCM, and we're not getting it in this Oscar series.

Right off with the umbrella of "31 Days of Oscar" we can see the lack of creativity. That's a holdover from when the Oscars and therefore the tribute occurred in March. Now that it's a February staple, why should this monthly tribute carry over into another month? That doesn't happen with any other monthly tribute held through the year.

It doesn't seem as special. Other than The Deer Hunter and a couple others, they are pretty much repeats of the same movies they air throughout the year.

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}...tell me they're showing From Here to Eternity.

>

> (holding my breath until I hear your reply)

Sure they are, on February 22, the same day as MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON.

Awesome. :^0

Are they also showing Gigi, The Third Man, An American in Paris and Some Like it Hot and making the unifying theme for the day "films you're *sick to effing death of* to the point where you'd *honestly consider spilling a Sprite on the master print* were you ever given the opportunity"?

(I like that theme better than the geography bit they used last year.)

I think I said the same thing to Addison a few weeks ago.

I actually like the film and I don't mean to insult TCM programmers, fan of the film, Columbia Pictures, the cast and crew of the film, or their families and pets when I point out that it runs a bit too often.

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}

>

> Are they also showing Gigi, The Third Man, An American in Paris and Some Like it Hot and making the unifying theme for the day "films you're *sick to effing death of* to the point where you'd *honestly consider spilling a Sprite on the master print* were you ever given the opportunity"?

> If they are, then I will use the occasion to watch some of the recordings that I make of the many items on the January schedule that I'm not able to see as they air.

Actually, that will be my plan in February anyway, along with watching the DVDs that I've purchased and have yet to screen.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}I think I said the same thing to Addison a few weeks ago.

Actually, I think *it was a few days ago,* right after they showed ETERNITY *twice in five days* - once in *prime time* as part of the Great Adaptations spotlight and once at noon as part of their quarterly Burt Lancaster tribute (which I'm starting to think is somehow required of TCM by some sort of arcane FCC law.)

And let me *take a wild guess* as to what is airing on December 7th....

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Nov 6, 2012 10:09 AM

And let me *take a wild guess* as to what is airing on December 7th....

Of course, at 3:15pm Eastern time.

at least we're spared Veteran's Day.

Really, would the earth just *fall off its axis* if they let just one Oscar month/Memorial day/December 7th/ tribute to Lancaster/Kerr/Clift/Reed/Borgnine/Zinneman/Tarradash/films set in Hawaii, films based on novels or films with the word "here" in the title pass *WITHOUT SHOWING FHTE????????*

it's getting to be like your Great Aunt who brought three-ribbon salad to your first communion thirty years ago, and you said you liked it, so she still makes it and brings it EVERY Thanksgiving, X-Mas/Birthday/Easter/Labor Day/Funeral/Anniversary/reunion and expects you to eat the whole thing in spite of the fact that you've *REALLY* come to effin *HATE three-ribbon salad.*

ps- I'm not kidding about films with the word "Here" in the title. They actually did that a year or two ago. Seriously.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Nov 6, 2012 10:23 AM

I hate to ask, but what consists of 3 ribbon salad (no smart remarks, please!)

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}

> Yeah, and catching up on my reading............

I always set aside time for reading no matter what else is going on. That's one reason why I have to record some things, I insist on at least an hour a day being devoted to reading.

You see, that's where being an insomniac has an advantage. I get the time to read, but I'll bet that Im just as tired as you are.

Funny, people tell me that they read before going to bed as it helps them sleep. I find that it only fills my head with more things to ponder and that keeps me awake.

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}I hate to ask, but what consists of 3 ribbon salad (no smart remarks, please!)

It's open to interpretation (as are all things Jell-O based) but it's basically green Jell-O and red Jell-O seperated by a layer of cream cheese. Chopped nuts, grapes, fruit slices and (super puke-out) vegetable bits are optional.

It's not bad the first time, but after a while, it gets old, (just like FHTE.)

I vastly prefer Watergate salad, but its composition remains a mystery to me (and I like it that way.)