Sign in to follow this  
LsDoorMat

The vast majority of the 31 Days of Oscar - February and March 1-3

327 posts in this topic

LOL. I'm an insomniac too, but I'm always drifting off.......trouble is I never stay that way!

Two things will cause me to doze off - GIANT and RAINTREE COUNTY.

I've seen both in their entirety on my initial exposure to them. Any subsequent attempts to re-evaluate them have been futile, it's the cinematic equivalent of counting sheep for me.

LOL. Lately, From Here to Eternity does it for me......followed by Dr. Zhivago, NBNW and A Face in the Crowd............

Any of them except for A FACE IN THE CROWD might do it for me if I gave it the chance. The Kazan film is the exception because Andy Griffith is just too loud to allow me to drift off.

Not that I dislike the others, I've just seen them too often. I do thoroughly dislike Kazan's film though.

I find this so depressing. If an Oscar series MUST be done, there could have been so many imaginative ways to go, to show rarely seen films that have been nominated. For example, King of the Zombies was nominated for best music score in 1942! There's a wealth of interesting nominees that have never been shown on TCM, or that have only been shown rarely.

The TCM between-the-films promo wherein they talk to the people in the town and county where Raintree County was filmed is *FAR MORE INN-TERESTING* than any given minute of the film itself.

There is a good book/script/story idea in that.

It seems lately, everything on TCM is a retread. Very few premieres or original programming. They just recycle what's already been shown under a new theme. They must be really cost cutting. Are starting to resemble the old AMC with the repeat showing of films too.....

Things have improved so much of late and they've shown us so much cool stuff that I am cutting TCM slack on the 31 Days thing, but *I feel you all.*

And I do re-iterate on the continued policy of relying heavily on the same 40-60 titles: *the more you parade the same damn horse in front of me, the more I am going to notice little things that- on first viewing- did not bother me at all, but which now kind of bug me on VIEWING NUMBER 27*. ie: the sudden space and time violation at the end of Some Like it Hot, the fact that Leslie Caron has not a line of dialogue in the final scenes of Gigi- a film in which she is the title character, that Gene Kelly is really smug and kind of insufferable in An American in Paris, that Wuthering Heights is actually kind of all-around stupid and that A Face in the Crowd is unpleasant and rather didactic in tone and Anthony Franciosa is a ham.

And then there are issues I already had with films that are exacerbated by seeing some or part of said film some 27 times. ie- why doesn't Monty Clift just stop when they say to at the end of ETERNITY? really: *why?*

And then there are films that I was less than fond of to start with, but *that I now hate,* quite frankly because they are on with more frequency than is needed. I know that's a petty reason, but sue me. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. Boom. One example. I just want to go to TCM HQ in Atlanta and walk right in to the vault and grab it off the shelf and drop it on the floor and spill Tahitian Treat all over it. (And I would not feel one ounce of guilt for having done so.)

Long story short (too late) I *hate* the concept of a canon, of any finite number of titles which "define" anything, or are used for instruction (which I take TCM to be) year after year after year after year. You don't get the full picture, the full story, the full lesson *and it just gets OLD.*

Every horse- no matter how showy and how impressive the gait- gets a little less special the more you trot it out. I'm not saying lock the barn door, but let a few out to pasture and keep bringing in the new mares.

My metaphor is out of control.

All The King's Men is on (for the second time in 10 or so days) right now. It's *terrible.*

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Nov 6, 2012 2:09 PM

You feel us all?

You have a thing for Tahitian Treat dont you? I've never tried it. Is it any good?

Edited by: Hibi on Nov 6, 2012 2:16 PM

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}*You feel us all?*

>

> You have a thing for Tahitian Treat dont you? I've never tried it. Is it any good?

>

>

>

> *It's the new way the kids on the streets are speaking. It translates to "I understand your various viewpoints and sympathize with your plight."*

>

>

>

> I think Tahitian Treat is like carbonated Hawaiian Punch, it's been a loooooooong time since I had it, but it's one of those kitchy old brand names that amuse me (like Shasta or Vienetta or BananaNesquik.)

>

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Nov 6, 2012 2:29 PM

*seriously though*,

we should all arrange a tour together of TCM HQ in Atlanta, and then show up wearing Groucho glasses and trenchcoats. And when they let us in to see the vault- we rush the guard and make right for the master print of *one film of our choosing*, uncapped liter of Tahitian Treat in hand.

I can do FHTE, you can do NBNW, Finance can do Zhivago.

You gotta pick, Clore?

LOL! I'm afraid though in the end it will be pointless as they are only renting the movies (whatever form they are in). Sigh.

I dont know if you are pulling my leg or not (now there is an old expression) but I am old enough to remember Hawaiian Punch!

Edited by: Hibi on Nov 6, 2012 3:21 PM

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}

>

> You gotta pick, Clore?

I'll take MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON, but to make up for it, I'll put a "use me more often" sticker on Capra's PLATINUM BLONDE and AMERICAN MADNESS.

I don't see why they can't air 4 or 5 more recent movies a month, they air probably close to a 100 movies a month, is it really that much to ask for?

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}I dont know if you are pulling my leg or not (now there is an old expression) but I am old enough to remember Hawaiian Punch!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTr6tYBB4nLxrbB-dh98XP

Yes, I was seriously suggesting we disguise ourselves in Groucho glasses and coordinate an attack on the TCM vault in the name of film depreservation.

There are two kinds of Hawaiian Punch, but if anyone ever asks whether you'd like one, you're safe to say "no thank you."

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Nov 6, 2012 5:01 PM

They were running neck-and-neck last time I checked, but I think that FHTE may prevail by a hard-fought neck at the end of the year.

Yes, I remember the old commercials! I'm waxing nostalgic. I may buy a can! (I used to love it. They've probably changed the formula since then......)

You are way off topic. I think this is one time the moderator might encourage that, since it has hijacked comments about the unimaginative programming for Oscar time.

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}

> Yes, I remember the old commercials! I'm waxing nostalgic. I may buy a can! (I used to love it. They've probably changed the formula since then......)

Here you go Hibi, just for you:

Oh, brother. I'm just responding to someone else's post. If it's off-topic then bring it back again............