Sign in to follow this  
LsDoorMat

The vast majority of the 31 Days of Oscar - February and March 1-3

327 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}...or, even though it's not on this list (geez, why not?), catching up on your reading by reading James Jones' "From Here to Eternity".

ETERNITY is not on the list because it's a Columbia Picture and the weekend I cited is dedicated to MGM (this year, 31 Days are arranged by producer/film studio.)

ETERNITY is playing on the 24th(?) with Ye Faithefulle Perennial Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and everything else from Columbia that- odds are- you're sick to f-ing death of.

And for the record, I was at my local liberry some time a year or so ago and I took a copy of the James Jones novel off the shelf and perused the first random paragraph on which my eyes landed. *IT IS FILTHY!* What I read made me blush, and I'm not exactly Julie Andrews- and that was just the first thing I landed on. Seriously, just the one paragraph I read before I put the book back and promptly washed my hands was a baroque tapestry woven of profanity and sexual imagery.

Am I making any of you want to read it now?

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Nov 7, 2012 5:55 PM

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote} I was only about five years old, but I recall my father asking me to go get his pocketbook from the bedroom. This confused me greatly as I thought that only women carried pocketbooks. Little did I know that he wanted his paperpack book, I thought that he wanted his purse.

I have never heard the phrase "pocket book" and Eternity is, like, 700 pages. You need some big ole' clown pants or some MC Hammer Genie pantaloons or something for that sucker to fit in your pocket.

ps- you might want to read my post below. your dad was reading some sick s***

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}HELL, YES! (LOL) Even by 50s standards?

By any standard what I read was really profane and highly sexual. All apologies if you run out and grab it and spend like four days reading it and I somehow remember wrong, but I *do* remember being like, "Oh my GOD!" out loud and all the homeless and sex pervs loafing about the downtown branch of the liberry looked over at me and I was all, "sorry...by the way, some of you would really like this" before putting it back...And washing my hands.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Nov 7, 2012 6:12 PM

I have never heard the phrase "pocket book" and Eternity is, like, 700 pages.

I guess as with "Kleenex" or "Xerox," the term "pocketbook" became the reference for paperbacks. There was a publishing company that referred to its line as Pocket Books and I guess father had deep pockets.

He must have - he took everything with him when he left home about a year later, we were left penniless and the rest is not anything that I wish to discuss here.

Now, if they had made the movie as risque as the book, and cast Ava Gardner in the Deborah Kerr role, I wouldn't object if they showed it once a week.

LOL. Wasnt there a tv remake at some point? I cant remember........

I seem to remember Natalie Wood being in it, but maybe I'm thinking of something else..........

Yes, Natalie Wood had the Kerr role which went to Barbara Hershey when it became a brief series.

William Devane played Sgt. Warden, Peter Boyle was Fatso, Steve Railsback was Pruitt, Joe Pantoliano was Maggio and Kim Basinger was Lorene.

The mini-series scored high ratings back when NBC was the fourth-place network and there were still only three. ;) So, they rushed it into a series while the iron was hot but the enthuisiasm waned and it lasted maybe a dozen episodes.

Mike00 -

As the holidays approach, some schedule/programming work is completed earlier than during the rest of the year.

Because "31 Days of Oscar" is probably the most publicized event for the year on TCM, the February schedule is one that is worked on throughout the coming year. It needs and gets lots of special attention.

There is the choice of "theme" (In 2013 it is Film Studios), a desire to bring premieres to the event which may need special, advance negotiation, special promos to create and an extensive companion website to create. Little of that work can be started until the schedule is finalized. So it is no surprise the info for February is "out there" earlier than is usual and that 'calvinnme' can uncover this week.

Also, with the holidays approaching (and the TCM Classic Film Cruise too), the staff is probably getting as much work done as possible before the offices "power down" in December. Entering the February schedule into the system is one of those details that TCM can get out of the way early.

That "power down" in December may mean that March or April line-ups show up a little later than usual too. So don't be surprised if March isn't in the system until early January.

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Nov 9, 2012 8:26 AM

*These are parts of the schedules for a Saturday and Sunday sometime in the middle of Oscar month:*

MGM PICTURES

*7:00AM Lassie Come Home (1943)*

10:15AM On The Town (1949)

*12:00PM An American in Paris (1951)*

*2:00PM Singin in the Rain (1952)*

4:00PM Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (1954)

*6:00PM Gigi (1958)*

*8:00PM Ben Hur (1959)*

*12:00AM North By Northwest (1959)*

2:30AM Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)

5:30AM Naked Spur (1953)

Sunday

February 17

MGM PICTURES

7:15AM *King Solomon's Mines (1950)*

9:15AM Quo Vadis (1951)

12:15PM Bad and the Beautiful (1953)

4:00PM *Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)*

8:00PM *Dr. Zhivago (1965)*

*Boom. There. This is your problem. Every single one of these films needs to be retired for the next two years. (and I love Seven Brides and Black Rock *

*(titles in bold annoy me slightly more than the non-emboldened ones)*

Do they ever. It's nice to see The Organizer, The Deer Hunter, and The Color of Money, but these endless retreads are really getting out of control. And only one half day of foreign studios is an insult, considering the number of titles to choose from.

But yes, there are all those pre-codes from now through January, so I shouldn't complain too much. At least February gives me a chance to watch a lot of the better movies that I'll be recording before then.

Even a couple of your non bold entries could use a break, even though I enjoy these films, like Bad Day At Black Rock & Seven Brides. The only one on your list that doesn't get as much airplay is Quo Vadis, but it suffers by being incredibly dull.

hlywdkjk, I'm not going to believe or listen to you because you don't put up the schedules. And Calvin won't share his secret of how he does it, which I find lame.

I know how he does it, he visits the TCM profiles of certain movies and see if they have an airdate under the name of the movie.

Oooooooooooooooh, Mike, you DO NOT SYA to hlywdkjk.

You just do not.

I take it back, you're not SOUH, you're some new thing.

Looks like you're a great big candidate for 'ignore'.

Unnnnnnnnn huh.