Sign in to follow this  
LsDoorMat

The vast majority of the 31 Days of Oscar - February and March 1-3

327 posts in this topic

You know, ees fonny,

I was out of town Thursday thru Monday, the place where I was staying had no TCM.

While away, I left my home television on, as I always do (I live in a guest house with a big, glass window and there have been tons of break-ins in the neighborhood.) Of course, if my TV is on, it's on TCM- so that's what was playing all the while.

When I opened the door and walked in last night some time around 11:00 pm, *GUESS WHAT WAS WAITING FOR ME ON THE TELEVISION?*

*HINT: IT KIND OF SOUNDS LIKE "DUMB BEER FROM INFIRMERY."*

Seriously, TCM. I love you but you **** me off sometimes.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Nov 13, 2012 5:01 PM

Hey, Addy, Guess Who's Coming was on last wknd too! I wondered where you were. :D

LOL. I dont remember. It was on later in the evening. I didnt try to understand what the theme was if any.......Thankfully I was channel surfing at the time, so I passed through quickly.......

> {quote:title=Mike00 wrote:}{quote}I like Waffle House.

as do I, but *do not* **** off the night shift staff. they get the waitresses straight from prison and they will *cut you.*

I'm assuming you've **** them off?? (LOL) Why doesnt that surprise me? :D

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}Did they even try to lump it in with a tribute or a theme or did they just drop it on us like a surly, graveyard-shift waitress at the Waffle House?

The night started with DINNER AT EIGHT and the subsequent films all had a dinner party at part of the plot. Thus we also had THE THIN MAN, THE MOON IS BLUE and EXTERMINATING ANGEL.

I can see extreme divergence when it comes to daily themes (movies with the word "man" in the title), but the ones that center around the foundation of The Essentials could use a stronger link. OK, THE THIN MAN is from the same era and studio, but surely the rest seem out-of-alignment.

maybe the theme for the night could've been *"well-intentioned, but ultimately patronizing and rather smug films that are (in some cases) pretty racist in their own right and/or short-sighted in their approach to the very problem that they remind us every five minutes they're tackling with great dignity and sensitivity."*

the others could've been Gentlemen's Agreement, Pinky, Loooooooooove is a Many-Splennnnnndored Thing- Hell, a whole buffet of stuff Zanuck produced...

Fifty imaginary bucks says Drew picks Guess Who's Coming for her next stint on The Essentials.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Nov 13, 2012 6:05 PM

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> > It seems lately, everything on TCM is a retread. Very few premieres or original programming. They just recycle what's already been shown under a new theme. They must be really cost cutting. Are starting to resemble the old AMC with the repeat showing of films too.....

> Here at TCM City it can sometimes feel like all TCM does is rerun the same handful of films over and over.

>

> But, if you look at the actual schedule, TCM offers a great deal more than that.

>

>

> The rare Cartoon festival, the Halloween screenings of Universal horror films that fans have been clamoring for quite some time.

>

You mean like the screening of THE MUMMY'S HAND complete with the chopped off ending? Yes indeed, that was a real eye opener into the care that TCM places on living up to it's motto of uncut films. Just what fans have been clamoring for quite some time. By the way, what happened to SOUL OF A MONSTER? It was offered on the schedule, but never shown. I guess that also falls under the "TCM offers a great deal more then that" banner. I know, "well infinite, if you're going to be picky, but hey it was Halloween after all and TCM decided on a trick rather then a treat."

I've already commented on the Oscar month schedule. It should have, could have been so much more inventive. But TCM does respond to requests and shows premieres, often. I'd been asking for the 1948 UK Ivan Barnett *The Fall of the House of Usher*, which is my favorite version of that story. I know it's an odd film, and I don't know if my request had anything to do with it, but TCM did screen it the week before Holloween. I was in London and so recorded it, but I'm so looking forward to watching it, after all these years!

I've worked for a non-profit cultural institution in NYC for many decades. The institution does so much good, that people tend not to criticize it. That has led to complacency and lack of imagination, on occasion. So to those who say TCM gives us so much and does so much good (true) that we shouldn't criticize when we feel they're not doing their best, I say, we should express ourselves, both positively and negatively, on those rare occasions when the latter is warranted.

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}

> I say, we should express ourselves, both positively and negatively, on those rare occasions when the latter is warranted.

I feel very deeply that the important thing is to present criticism in an appropriate manner. I believe it is does no good to rant about frequent showing of some movies and to bemoan the lack of others.

It saddens me each time I see a thread accusing TCM and its staff of being unimaginative or lazy because they schedule some movies frequently. The rotation of movies receiving such treatment shows me that it is a carefully constructed strategy and one which we must accept as they are doing what is in the best interest of the channel.

The TCM Programmers have demonstrated many times that they are open to ideas and suggestions. It behooves us to present those in a calm, respectful and reasonable manner.

SansFin wrote: "The rotation of movies receiving such treatment shows me that it is a carefully constructed strategy and one which we must accept as they are doing what is in the best interest of the channel."

I agree with your comments that it is important to present criticism in an appropriate manner; however, your comments above would deprive anyone of any criticism of any corporate entity, because you think "we must accept..." etc. By those criteria, all that justified criticism of NBC for their poor coverage of the Olympic opening ceremony would have been silenced.

And so, while I agree with part of your remarks, I strongly disagree with your "carefully constructed strategy... they know best" remarks. Good institutions suffer because such attitudes lead to lack of criticism which leads to complacency on the part of corporations/institutions.

I really liked your comment Posted: Nov 13, 2012 7:21 PM. I thought that was one of the best-written things on this board lately.

LOL. I think DInner and Eternity have passed NBNW and Zhivago in the past year as the most repeated offerings...........

> There is nothing on this thread posted on November 13th at 7:21 PM.

It depends upon your time zone and the settings you have selected, doesn't it? I'm on the west coast and there is a reply from Swithin last night at 6:21 PM, so perhaps that's the reply TB was referring to?

I think TCM should inaugurate a NON-THEME night with movies having NO relation to each other!

I can see grouping films according to actor, director etc. as that makes sense. But some of these nights where the theme is so tenuous most people even can see it, what's the point?