Sign in to follow this  
tcmsteven

Did TCM honor Veterans Day?

8 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=tcmsteven wrote:}{quote}I didn't see any movies on the schedule. A bit disappointed.

Nope. Not this year. Just regular Sunday programming on the actual Veteran's Day - Nov. 11.

The federal holiday - November 12 - has birthday tributes for Grace Kelly in the morning and Jacques Tourneur in the afternoon.

I'd like to think I'm as patriotic as the next person, but after all TCM usually dedicates the entire Memorial Day weekend to war movies and WWII centric shorts.

I don't know if it is the reason but TCM may have decided to forgo military films on this year's Veterans Day because just last month the channel included an evening about wounded veterans during the Disability In Films event.

TCM will acknowledge Pearl Harbor on December 7th next month.

They honor everybody's favorite veteran every year: Elvis Presley. :-)

I'm spending this Veterans Day watching the back to back episodes of "Band of Brothers" on Spike.

Because Veterans Day is falling on Sunday, many are observing it for 3 days (Sat-Mon). My flag won't come down until Tuesday.

One would think TCM could at least show "The Big Parade" for Sunday Silent Nights, saving "Sherlock Holmes" for next Sunday.

veterans_1.jpg

*I don't know if TCM is really obligated to coordinate their films to reflect the holidays and remembrance days. I guess I don't really care because I figure if you are going to spend these days the right way, you should spend them with your families and go out and do something with them.*

*Though I was a bit disappointed they didn't do a Mary Pickford birthday tribute last April from 2:15-5:00AM. Oh well....*