Sign in to follow this  
SueSueApplegate

December Star of the Month: BARBARA STANWYCK

554 posts in this topic

Robert Osborne's article about December Star of the Month Barbara Stanwyck discusses the first time he ever met the popular star: http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/553882|0/Robert-Osborne-on-Barbara-Stanwyck.html

It was almost like a Billy Wilder "cute meet!"

I am sooooo looking forward to December and all those wonderful Stanwyck films. And there's one ("Message to Garcia") that I've never seen before. It's really a rare Stanwyck movie. Plus lots of others that I'm looking forward to seeing again. Gonna be a great month!

There is one quality about Barbara Stanwyck I have found to be unique. That is that whatever movie she was in, no matter how bad it was, and how poorly written her dialogue, she always spoke her lines with absolute conviction. You never doubted her belief in her role and her resolution to communicate that belief to the audience.

Yes. She made many a film better just by her being in it. I find her always watchable. Looking forward to seeing some old favs and catching up on new ones I havent seen in Dec.

Where's Eugenia? I'd think she'd be all over this thread!

There is one quality about Barbara Stanwyck I have found to be unique. That is that whatever movie she was in, no matter how bad it was, and how poorly written her dialogue, she always spoke her lines with absolute conviction. You never doubted her belief in her role and her resolution to communicate that belief to the audience.

Which is why she's universally considered by everyone with a brain to be the greatest American actress. (/ducks)

Seriously, I've been waiting for years for Babs to get her due, and I'm triple thrilled that they're showing Double Indemnity and Sorry, Wrong Number for the first time in quite a while. The only one I wish they'd have dug out but didn't is Red Salute. That one apparently falls into the "so bad, it's good" category, but it'd still be fun to see how Stanwyck handled what was supposedly her most ridiculous role ever.

That's one problem with these boards, which usually doesn't occur in real life. Someone disappears, and we have no idea why, or where they are.

Yes. She mentioned she was busy with work, so we may not hear from her for awhile........hopefully she'll pop up in Babs month occasionally.....

My Reputation is in the schedule. Not sure about Night Nurse.......

I'm looking forward to December because I haven't really seen any Stanwyck films, but the few I've seen I loved ( Ball of Fire, East Side West Side, The Lady Eve). She seems like she can portray any character, any emotion.

She had such longevity. I can't think of another star who looked as good as she did, white hair and all, from the beginning of her career in the 20's to her death. Bob Taylor wandered off with Ursula Theiss while he was making Quo Vadis, and she was on her own from then on, but she never stopped working, never despaired, kept her life going well and looked young until the end. Robert Wagner was insane about her, and their affair went on until she ended it. "My girl," he calls her in his book, "Pieces Of My Heart."

Night Nurse will be shown at 5:45 in the morning of the 27th, which of course shows up as the last movie on the TCM schedule of the 26th. It's one of her better pre-codes, with Gable as the un-mustachioed gangster wearing a chauffeur's uniform as a beard.

Thanks. I havent seen that one in a long time. I'll try to remember to record it.

Yes. I enjoyed reading his auto-bio. He had nothing but good memories of their relationship.

Edited by: Hibi on Nov 29, 2012 2:23 PM

*That is that whatever movie she was in, no matter how bad it was, and how poorly written her dialogue, she always spoke her lines with absolute conviction. You never doubted her belief in her role and her resolution to communicate that belief to the audience.*

I agree here. When I watch her playing different roles, I am fully drawn into each character. I don't think about Stanwyck as herself, as an actress playing a part, I am going along with the lives she is portraying onscreen.

LOL. Wont be long! I've gotta clear up some time on the dvr.........

Terrence, I totally agree!!! I, for one, can't wait until the Babs fest begins!!! There are TONS, I say TONS of pre-codes throughout the tribute too! TCM has so many of her flix in store that it looks like a 24 hour fest each time too, which rocks the house! Can't wait!

Extremely pleased to hear that Miss Stanwyck is the star for December. Came as a surprise to me since I was lax about renewing my subscription to Now Playing, dud. But I love Barbara Stanwyck. She really is excellent in everything I've seen her in.

I was going to subscribe to now playing. It would be my first time getting the magazine but you say it's a "dud"? Should I get it? Is it worth my time and money?

*Maybe the magazine proved to be a dud!*

I read it as a typo of "duh". :)

Hey, no Stanwyck films on December 1. What goes? ;) (Just joking, of course... Lots of movies I like are playing on Saturday, like "Sullivan's Travels", "Harry and Tonto", "The Long, Long Trailer", "It Happened One Night", etc. etc. etc.)