Sign in to follow this  
SueSueApplegate

December Star of the Month: BARBARA STANWYCK

554 posts in this topic

When playing the game of Mystery Date, I actually preferred the "dud" to the bowler, the skier, and the prep. What can I say? I like men who work with their hands.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}I thought she may have been addressing the males on these boards.

You must have been wishfully thinking "stud".

*OH THANK GOD! THEY FINALLY SCRAPPED THAT GAWDAWFUL STANWYCK "TRIBUTE" NARRATED* in a dry, stilted monotone with utterly no inflection, emotion or interest *BY JENNIFER JASON LEIGH* as though she was reading a third grade book report on something she found none too interesting.

Thank you, TCM, thank you Laura Dern.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Dec 1, 2012 8:55 AM

How come a timely thread about the great Barbara Stanwyck has slid to the bottom of page 2? A thread about her would be worthwhile anytime, but especially now, since she's STAR of the MONTH !

Barbara Stanwyck !

Barbara Stanwyck !

Guaranteed to make

her fans stick !

( Hey, I challenge anyone to come up with a good rhyme for "Stanwyck".)

So they've filmed a new Stanwyck tribute? I havent seen it yet........

You must not be watching TCM much, since I'm surprised the typical posters haven't started a threat about this tribute being shown too often! :)

No, I havent! Thanks to the constant repeats. I did watch during Baby Peggy night, but they didnt run it....

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}*OH THANK GOD! THEY FINALLY SCRAPPED THAT GAWDAWFUL STANWYCK "TRIBUTE" NARRATED* in a dry, stilted monotone with utterly no inflection, emotion or interest *BY JENNIFER JASON LEIGH* as though she was reading a third grade book report on something she found none too interesting.

>

> Thank you, TCM, thank you Laura Dern.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Well, I like Laura Dern, and I like that tribute. But I like Jennifer Jason Leigh even more, and I never thought that "Word of Mouth" short she did about Barbara Stanwyck was any of those things you said. I didn't really notice if she "narrated in a dry stilted monotone with utterly no inflection, emotion, or interest...". It's true that she sounds fairly low-key in her narration, but so what? You can tell she's a true fan of Stanwyck's, and she gives some great examples of the depth and variety of Stanwyck's work.

Jennifer Jason Leigh is one of the best actresses around today.

I'd love to see the 8:00PM film starring Stanwyck

But I'm afraid I'll be stuck in traffic on the Van Wyck. (That's an expressway in NYC)

There---I came up with a good rhyme for Stanwyck

Edited by: finance on Dec 5, 2012 5:28 PM

The one they talk about on Seinfeld? It really exists? (I thought it was made up!) ****.

LOL.

It really does exist. I looked it up. I thought you were pulling my leg...........

Edited by: Hibi on Dec 5, 2012 5:15 PM

*I'd love to see the 8:00PM film starring Stanwyck*

*But I'm afraid I'll be stuck in traffic on the Van Wyck. (That's an expressway in NYC)*

*There---I came up with a good rhymew for Stanwyck*

...The movie casting that should have been: Stanwyck in *Dragonwyck* (1946).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038492/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Who knows?? Maybe she did! (I assume she visited the Big Apple from time to time.......)

I'm very much looking forward to *Ladies of Leisure*. The line-up this month includes a lot of her films I haven't seen, and this is one of them.

It's been so long since seeing the film, it will be like watching it for the first time for me.

I have loved old movies since I was 7. Really. My mother told me that I should "really

check out this movie" -- It was "The Philadelphia Story" and I have been hooked ever since then.

Even so, I never really developed an appreciation for Barbara Stanwyck until I saw some

of her pre-code films. I am a super fan now and think she is one of the greats. I agree

with whoever said she is better than Bette Davis (who I also love.) She can do anything!!

Lydecker