Sign in to follow this  
MilesArcher

Theme Songs

122 posts in this topic

Well. musicalnovelty, then Bill Finegan was actually your much older cousin. I must confess that I was not familiar with the band and found them after just a little research. However, I was familiar with the Jubilo tune, but I did not know the title. There is another Youtube clip of the band playing "Holiday", with Joe Venuto playing the chimes with lots of gusto. They appear to be a rather unique band with a combination of traditional and non-traditional instruments.

Now, let's do one that many people will know. Lawrence Welk was on TV for 27 years. Now, thirty years after the last show aired, reruns are sill being shown on PBS. What was the name of Lawrence Welk's theme song? It was played at the beginning of every show.

Okay, another easy one.

The Benny Hill Show. What distinctive American composition was used as the closing theme, and also during the trademark speeded-action skits?

> {quote:title=MilesArcher wrote:

> }{quote}Well. musicalnovelty, then Bill Finegan was actually your much older cousin.

> ...There is another Youtube clip of the band playing "Holiday", with Joe Venuto playing the chimes with lots of gusto. They appear to be a rather unique band with a combination of traditional and non-traditional instruments.

Sorry, I typed it in wrong originally, but the relation is that Bill Finegan's father and my Dad's father were brothers.

So, what is the exact relation, if you can figure it out?

Yes, I've seen that other YouTube clip. It's great (and I believe I checked once and found that the band did not record that song on any of their albums - of course, I have all of them!) So it's a rare performance exclusive to that TV show.

There aren't enough films around of the band playing, so it's great that we have those two TV clips and that they're on YouTube.

The band was very innovative and creative with percussion. One great story that was told among all the veteran musicians gathered at Bill's son's home after Bill's funeral was that on one tour the band was travelling together in one bus and another was carrying all the instruments. There was an accident resulting in the second vehicle (containing all the instruments) rolling over down a hill. So....what was the first thing Bill said? "I wonder what that sounded like!"

Cool guy!

> {quote:title=flashback42 wrote:

> }{quote}Okay, another easy one.

>

> The Benny Hill Show. What distinctive American composition was used as the closing theme, and also during the trademark speeded-action skits?

I really never watched much Benny Hill, but was it "Yakety Sax" by Boots Randolph?

Correct, nm. I often wondered about that during the time when I saw the show, but didn't have the internet. Knew it was familiar; just couldn't place it.

musicalnovelty's thread.

Edited by: flashback42 on Jan 18, 2013 6:26 PM

New question:

Last night during TCM's night of film noir movies the 1951 Warner Bros. feature TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY was shown. Frequently throughout the movie a certain old tune was played - so often that it must have been intended as the movie's "theme song".

What was the title of the song, and what year was it originally from?

No, that's not it. I believe I heard "Get Happy" played at one point during the movie, but not nearly as often as this theme song I'm asking about.

But it's from the same period. The theme song was written in 1929 and was a hit song originally that year.

Well, at least one more clue:

The song is not really a "movie song", that is, not written for any particular movie or performed memorably in a film by a famous singer or band at the time it was written. But there is a great instrumental performance in the soundtrack score for the 1929 MGM Greta Garbo movie THE SINGLE STANDARD.

Also:

The song was co-written by one of the most popular singers/crooners/bandleaders of the period.

Yes, it is "Deep Night". Good work!

How did you figure it out? Did you find and listen to a copy of TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY, or THE SINGLE STANDARD?

Anyway, thread's all yours...

How did I find it? Well, I hate to reveal my secrets, but in this case, I got lucky. I'll send you a PM telling you how. Here is "Deep Night" by Rudy Vallee.

Now, A movie shown very recently on TCM had some theme music in the score by the classical composer Charles Gounod. The music was later used as the theme for a popular television show. Can you name the musical piece, as well as both the movie and TV show? This question is not as difficult as it appears. Please give it a try.

Must be "The Funeral March of a Marionette", used in SUNRISE (1927) and later as the theme music for the "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" TV show.

Another film the tune is used in is HABEAS CORPUS, a 1928 Laurel & Hardy short.

Yeah, instead of "Deep Night" it's Deep Snow. Me too! About 2 feet avearge, but with the drifting, it's weird that in some places there's only a few inches, and in others, as much as 3 feet!

New question:

One would think that the 1932 popular song "Crazy People" would have been a natural choice for theme music for The Three Stooges. but no, apparently nobody thought of it. Except once - When and for what was "Crazy People" used as theme music for The Three Stooges?

On October 12, 1949, the Three Stooges made a pilot film at ABC for what was to be a weekly television comedy show called "Jerks Of All Trades". One of the theme songs was "Crazy People", a segment of which can be heard after Larry introduces himself. Unfortunately, the show never aired because Columbia Pictures threatened them with a lawsuit, thinking the show might compete with their movie shorts.

Here's "Crazy People" by the Boswell Sisters:

Here's part 1 and 2 of the unaired pilot for "Jerks Of All Trade". You can barely recognize the song after Larry introduces himself. In part 2, that's Joe Kearns, Mr. Wilson from "Dennis The Menace", trying to sell the stooges a pressure cooker....

"Jerks Of All Trade" :

1) http://youtu.be/NgVptFLC61g

2) http://youtu.be/waxmsZxAQ2c

I like the stooges and I have their complete set of shorts which I bought from Amazon...

Next:

This musician, who couldn't read music, composed a song while looking out an airplane window on a flight to the west coast. The song was later used as the theme music in a movie from the seventies.

Name the song, the musician, and the movie...

Erroll Garner, Misty--Play Misty for Me

He couldn't read music, but I can testify that Mr. Garner certainly could play Misty very well on the piano.

Maybe cujas got caught in a Kansas tornado. Her'e an easy one while we await her return.

What bandleader used "When My Baby Smiles At Me" as his theme song?