Arturo

LINDA DARNELL for Star of the Month October 2013

858 posts in this topic

That's odd. I dont remember any speaking. What did he say exactly?

Hibi, they are in voiceover by Cornel Wilde, as Amber is at the window, seeing him leave with their son.  Since I am at work right now, I checked with the TCM database for FA. In the Notes section, they mention the (rather extensive) prologue, as well as the epilogue.  They state the VHS video release omitted these.  I will check my blu-ray again, but I'm sure it doesn't have the prologue.  

Anyway the two lines heard are from dialogue earlier in The film.  The first is "Haven't we caused enough  unhappiness?"  The second line, after a pause, is "May God have mercy on us both for our sins".  The prologue is much longer (too long for me to type it while at work), and as with these last lines, shows the influence of the Catholic Legion of Decency, in order to remove the Condemned rating they had bestowed on it.

OH, BROTHER!!!!!!!! Dunno how I didn't notice that. Maybe I was too quick to stop the movie at the end......

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dagoldenage said:

Caught her recently in a cool episode of Screen Directors Playhouse from 1956

I caught her (Darnell) on an episode of Wagon Trail;  She still look beautiful but a little more 'full figured'.

On 3/19/2019 at 5:34 PM, dagoldenage said:

Caught her recently in a cool episode of Screen Directors Playhouse from 1956.  

The episode with Linda Darnell is called "White Corridors".  I have it recorded from a broadcast on TCM some 4-5 years ago.  Not sure if they still do it, but occasionally they would show some of the half-hour episodes of this series. 

Overall, this one is a good episode, with a fair amount of suspense.   Something in this episode's storyline must be missing, probably due to the short running time.  It is never explained why the guy who wants to kill her, for witnessing him kill a patient, has been impersonating a doctor at a London hospital, apparently successfully.  Would've been nice if it had been expanded to an hour long, with more detail and background added.

On 3/19/2019 at 5:46 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I caught her (Darnell) on an episode of Wagon Trail;  She still look beautiful but a little more 'full figured'.

"Wagon Train" plays on Me Tv; Linda Darnell was in a couple of episodes in the first season, "The Dora Gray Story" and the season finale "The Sacramento Story".  On that one she is part of a large group of guest stars, and only has one scene.  She plays the same character as on the first espisode.  Both were originally broadcast in 1958.  I have the first season on DVD, and on her first episode, it has a scene edited out of the one shown on Me Tv, with Linda bathing.  When shown on EncoreWesterns, it is unedited 

Linda Darnell looks great still, if, as you say, more full-figured.  It's interesting that she looks substantially different between the two, filmed a few months apart. I had thought this was due some weight gain, but it doesn't seem to be that.  More along the lines of a different hairstyle and different makeup, possibly rdflecting her better financial circumstances married to a rich man in the second episode, as opposed to considerably less so while on the frontier trail.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arturo said:

The episode with Linda Darnell is called "White Corridors".  I have it recorded from a broadcast on TCM some 4-5 years ago.  Not sure if they still do it, but occasionally they would show some of the half-hour episodes of this series. 

Overall, this one is a good episode, with a fair amount of suspense.   Something in this episode's storyline must be missing, probably due to the short running time.  It is never explained why the guy who wants to kill her, for witnessing him kill a patient, has been impersonating a doctor at a London hospital, apparently successfully.  Would've been nice if it had been expanded to an hour long, with more detail and background added.

After reading this I found White Corridors on You Tube and quite enjoyed it. The first portion is quite intriguing and suspenseful though it all gets come to the rescue melodramatic in the wrapup. I have to admit, though, that I laughed out loud when, at the final resolution and with the fake doctor killer exposed, the real doctor says, "The pity of it is that he would have been a fine surgeon."

• Like 2