Sign in to follow this  
Tink011

Where are the christmas movies?

18 posts in this topic

I would like to first say that I enjoy every bit of your network. I love the classics and whenever I need a pick me up or need to lose myself for an hour or two, I first look to your channel to see what will be or is playing. However, I am always disappointed this time of year. You rarely play any Christmas or holiday films this time of year and yet for any other holiday you always put on a film to reflect that particular day. You show easter films on easter sunday, you never forget to show films on wars or cowboys when it is any of the Veterans or Independence Day and even St. Patrick's Day gets a salute from you too but Christmas seems to bring out the Grinch in your network. One usually only see Holiday films on that holiday so why not show some out of the thousands available on Christmas or Hanukkah. What's up with that? I know there are plenty of available other networks that showcase films to reflect on the holidays celebrated in December or anyone can rent a classic holiday film but sometimes as you scroll down the general information of what is showing on television and you see anetwork that is playing a film you have not seen in a long time, it puts a smile on your face - you could help put that smile. I am sure I can not be the only one to have noticed this. Please do something about this and help people get into the spirit of whatever the holidays means to them but some sunshine from your network would contribute very nicely. As any other holiday it only comes once a year, don't be a Grinch when you could become a part of families from all over, holiday tradition every year.

Christmas Lost,

Thanks...

Edited by: Tink011 on Dec 10, 2012 7:03 PM

> {quote:title=classiccinemafan wrote:}{quote}TCM is like being denied access to the vaults. It stinks that TCM is stuck with almost nothing and AMC is abusing the classic Miracle on 34th Street.

TCM isn't being "denied" anything and AMC isn't doing any abusing either. The studios put the rights to the films up for bid and whoever bids the most gets the rights. Some years it's TCM, some years it isn't. It's just how the business works. Like any network, TCM sets its own priorities as to how to spend its money and what films to aggressively pursue.

Personally, I'd rather see TCM use its resources to get rarely shown films, like WE'RE NO ANGELS, instead of getting sucked into bidding wars over films that could be easily seen elsewhere. Being able to see those rarities is what makes TCM so special.

Here's a post I wrote for my blog which you may find helpful which provides a detailed date-by-date guide to the many Christmas films airing on TCM this month:

http://www.laurasmiscmusings.blogspot.com/2012/12/tcm-in-december-christmas-movies.html

The next Christmas movies this month air on Wednesday, December 12th and include REMEMBER THE NIGHT along with some movies which happen to have scenes set at Christmas.

More titles airing December 16th, 17th, 18th, 20th, 23rd, 24th, and 26th.

My post also recommends a few Christmas titles which are not airing on TCM this month but can be purchased or rented on DVD.

Enjoy!

I understand where you're coming from, but you can always get the classic "Miracle on 34th street", "March of the Wooden Soldiers", "It's a Wonderful Life", on other channels. Personally, it isn't Christmas for me until I've seen "It's a Wonderful Life."

What's the sense in subscribing to TCM if we have to turn to other 'channels' to see Christmas Movies?

Besides, other channels usually have a 'ton' of commercials, who needs that? :(

No Scrooge movie shown on Christmas Eve is glaring. I'll watch

A Christmas Carol with George C Scott as Scrooge on AMC

with commercials and all.

Jake in the Heartland

:( Yes, it is VERY disappointing that there are not more Christmas Movies on TCM, after all, it is only ONCE a year!

When you consider some of the movies they show over and over again all year round, like North by Northwest, From Here To Eternity, etc. etc., it is not too much to ask to show Christmas Movies just ONCE a year!

I can see everyone's point on this, but I have to say, I'm really pleased to see that TCM has the Damon Runyon classic "Lemon Drop Kid" starring Bob Hope. I hope TCM makes this a permanent part of their holiday schedule.

> {quote:title=skimpole wrote:}{quote}TCM should have Fanny and Alexander on more often.

It would be really cool if next year, instead of showing Little Dorrit again, they show the TV version of Fanny and Alexander, even if each part is divided over different days rather than shown all at once.

I also wish TCM could pry It's A Wonderful Life from the clutches of that commercial network, since that's far and away the best of all the holiday movies.

But failing that, they could just show another great Christmas classic, Pandora's Box.

(Well, I always was one of those "glass is half full" types.) B-)

Very disappointing. I agree. Dec 25 on TCM is a marathon of The Hardys. Great old movies, but I'd rather see some Christmas classics on Christmas Day. They'll probably show Holiday Inn in July....I've seen that done before.

The Christmas Eve movies are very Christmas into early Christmas morning......but then Christmas day goes to things like The Nun Story. They do show King of Kings....Then Christmas night turns into an Andy Hardy marathon, ( it seems like they have one of those every month ). So if you want to spend Christmas with Andy Hardy, me, I'll change the channel. .....Still, I guess I get it, some older people may have grown up with the Hardys and feel like part of their family on Christmas. I get it, I just didn't grow up with The Hardys.

But the Christmas Eve movies look like a good list all day and into Christmas morning. Don't let the names fool you, such as The Man That Came To Dinner, these are indeed Holiday movies.

So I can see some thought was put in Chritmas by TCM. The 24th and into 25th is Holiday movies.....Then Christmas Day becomes sacred as if going to church.....and into the evening time with family and neighbors, in this case, The Hardy Family. I do see what TCM is going for here.

Edited by: WhyaDuck on Dec 15, 2012 8:35 AM

Edited by: WhyaDuck on Dec 15, 2012 9:21 AM

> {quote:title=classics4all wrote:}{quote}Very disappointing. I agree. Dec 25 on TCM is a marathon of The Hardys. Great old movies, but I'd rather see some Christmas classics on Christmas Day. They'll probably show Holiday Inn in July....I've seen that done before.

Time again to direct people to Kyle's thread that answers the usual questions about Christmas movies of TCM:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=167321&tstart=15&messageID=8701991#8701991