Sign in to follow this  
Jezebelle

TCM Remembers.

42 posts in this topic

I saw the tribute. It was nice, but the music was horrible and I put it on mute. Too much time in between each photo - should have focussed more time on the actors/actresses

I think TCM does a wonderful job putting together these 'TCM Remembers' spots. These are spots that comes out of TCM's budget for something that will ony be used for a month, then put away forever. Each time I view them I find myself wishingI had accomplished anything in my life that would qualify me to be included. Unfortunately the only thing I could claim as an accomplishment is my intense enjoyment of TCM and the programs/movies they show. So if TCM is ever looking for a 'Fan' to include in one of these wonderful tributes, I'll be willing upon my eventual departure. I wouldn't even care if the music that accompanies the tribute is terrible.

I absolutely hated this years "TCT Remembers". I watched it once and that did it for me.

In years past, you actually had time to see the subjects. This year, you hardly blinked when the subject was gone.

All that background was very annoying. When you are trying to pay tribute to great folks of the movies, IMHO, that's all the background you need.

I also felt that the music was another distraction. I wish you would have repeated the rain from last year.

That made the 2011 tribute extremely moving.

*"I also wished they include for next year the ones they missed from say Dec 13,2012 to Dec 13,2013."*

They usually do.

Next year Jack Klugman will be featured in "TCM Remembers - 2013" for sure.

Just saw it, finally. Not sure what I think. I'm afraid all that panning to the sky reminded me of the scene at the beginning of The Brainiac, a crazy Mexican horror film, when they're all looking at the comet.

I'm really sorry they didn't include *Joyce Redman*, who died on May 10, and her eating scene from Tom Jones. But I'm glad they included the screenwriter *Frank Pierson*, whose parents (played by Rosalind Russell and Jack Carson) were the subjects of the film Roughly Speaking, which was based on a book by Pierson's mother, Louise Randall Pierson.

I did like the music from the tribute, felt it made the remembrance more poignant. Does anyone know who the artist was?

Merry Christmas to you all.

I would hope that TCM would attach rememberances of Charles Durning, Jack Klugman and Luke Askew. Luke passed away in March 2012 but wasn't included in the TCM Remembers. Sad omission.

> This is the first year I can remember them leaving out familiar faces.

Well, this happens each and every year. I can not remember a year where someone did not complain about "so and so" being left off the rememberance. It is sad when a favorite is left off, but if you look at the Oscar ceremony or the Screen Actors Guild Awards the same thing happens. Not everyone can get on the tribute.

It's not a "complaint." It's an observation and I certainly hope TCM doesn't think it has to come with SAG or the Oscars. They are hopelessly bad with this sort of thing. TCM has always been better ... comments are made because some of us wish them to continue along those lines.

In 2011 the tribute ran 4 minutes and 51 seconds and showed 66 people. This year the tribute ran 5 minutes and 40 seconds and showed 54 people. Some years more folks are shown than other years. This year it was obvious that the producers of this piece wanted to be a lot more creative and show a lot less people than in 2011. That is sad. So many of those that were not shown should have been given a chance.

If you look at Wikipedia, there are 129 or so "creative" people listed who passed away in 2011. So not everyone made the "cut" so to speak.

And in 2012, so far there have been over 210 creative deaths in the industry.

Edited by: fxreyman on Dec 26, 2012 1:27 AM

> It's not a "complaint."

My comment about complaining was not meant for you, but rather in a general sort of way to others here on the boards who complain about their favorite creative person not being included in the year ending tribute. And those complaints are visible each and every year.

> It's an observation and I certainly hope TCM doesn't think it has to come with SAG or the Oscars. They are hopelessly bad with this sort of thing. TCM has always been better ... comments are made because some of us wish them to continue along those lines.

I totally agree with you about how TCM or really for that matter many other entities when they try to show the tributes about who is no longer with us. In fact the one entity that seems to get worse each year are the Oscar telecasts. They seem to want to showcase the talents of some musical person instead of focusing on the tribute itself. Sort of like the year James Taylor sang. You would have thought he was performing a demo for the audience, the camera was on him more than the images showing the tribute.