Sign in to follow this  
hercule

Good Biographies?

8 posts in this topic

I recently read Lana Turner's autobiography and enjoyed it very much. Next I read a bio of Mary Pickford, but of the 3 or 4 available, I guess I picked the wrong one - it was tedious and boring, mostly detailing her experiences with various studios, directors and colleges I hadn't heard of (some of you, I know, are very knowedgeable about the silent era who might love that book). I did learn, however, about the importance of her golden locks! And I just finished Bette Davis Speaks which was everything I wanted - a simple, amusing read that gave insight into the personality of a star who interests me. So, before this long holiday weekend gets under way, is there a fun, entertaining, juicy bio out there that you can recommend? I think Ms. Turner's daughter's story might be interesting and will definitely look for something on Joan Crawford (would anyone recommend Mommie Dearest? I feel like a traitor just thinking about it). Thanks for your consideration.

I'm not sure if any of my picks would interest you, but as of today I'm reading the biography, "Charlie Chaplin and his Times." Seems like a well-written book (not sure how factual it is).

http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Chaplin-Times-Kenneth-Lynn/dp/068480851X/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355950104&sr=1-5&keywords=charliechaplinhis+life

If you're a Chaplin fan at all, I would definitely recommend his book "My Autobiography". Good read on an interesting man.

Actually, above these two books I definitely recommend one of my all-time favorites: "People Will Talk" by John Kobal. Not a biography, but it contains interviews with a lot of Golden-Age stars:

http://www.amazon.com/People-Will-Talk-John-Kobal/dp/0394536606/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355950380&sr=1-1&keywords=peoplewilltalkjohnkobal

I'm not a reader by any stretch of the imagination. However, I can boast of reading one book, and it is a biography. An auto-biography to be more exact. It is "Willie's Game", Willie Mosconi co-wrote with the author Stanley Cohen.

Willie Mosconi was the technical adviser for the movie "The Hustler" and he had an uncredited role in the movie. He also played a sportscaster in the James Coburn / Omar Sharif movie "The Baltimore Bullet". He made two Pete Smith Shorts, and one Columbia's Sports Reels.

It is primarily about his life as a "pool player", but it does touch on his Hollywood experiences. It is the only book I will acknowledge reading and enjoying every word of it.

It's not a NEW book, but I thought SHIRLEY TEMPLE BLACK'S autobiography "CHILD STAR" was a very compelling and interesting read.

Sepiatone

I was really taken with Maureen O'Hara's autobiography, "'Tis Herself." Very honest, very revealing about Jimmy Stewart, John Ford, Duke Wayne and others. Some she liked, others she loathed. You get the feeling she's talking right to you.

These are wonderful suggestions and frankly, I don't think I would have considered any of them because, while I enjoy each actor (never heard of Masconi though), they aren't are my radar, so to speak. A childhood star, the movies most beautifull actress (my opinion), a slient star with, I've hear, an interesting personal life, and a fellow pool player - I like the diversity. Thanks very much!

I've got a library full of film books and biographies, but one of the best ones I've ever read is Man on a Flying Trapese, The Life and Times of W. C. Fields by Simon Louvish. The author really did his research on Fields' life.

*The Life and Times of W. C. Fields by Simon Louvish*

I own this one, Janet0312 - I love it! I read it again earlier this year.