Sign in to follow this  
skimpole

What stars have you never actually seen?

50 posts in this topic

Just now, Swithin said:

I have never seen Angelina Jolie in a movie.

I second the motion for "Changeling" (2008). I watched this one fairly recently (about 2 months ago), and the good news is, it's on Netflix. 

15 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Basically any of the silent stars (except Laurel/Hardy & Chaplin). I am not the biggest fan of silent film. I appreciate it for what it was (a type of artform) and for blazing the way to what motion pictures are today (and by "today," I mean anything besides those damn Michael Bay Transformer movies). 

• Edward G. Robinson-The Stranger, Soylent Green (I recommend this film, although you probably won't like it. Robinson is great in it. Probably his best performance yet, outside of maybe Little Caesar, The Stranger, Double Indemnity or Key Largo)
  • James Dean-Rebel Without a Cause
  • Jean Arthur-You Can't Take it With You, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Shane, A Foreign Affair (I love this film. Arthur's so uptight and a such a stickler for the rules that its almost funny).
  • Sidney Poitier-A Touch of Blue, The Blackboard Jungle, Cry, The Beloved Country, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Lilies of the Field, No Way Out (I love Sidney Poitier)
  • James Cagney-The Public Enemy, Yankee Doodle Dandy, White Heat

These are the only ones I can think of right now...

3 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Basically any of the silent stars (except Laurel/Hardy & Chaplin). I am not the biggest fan of silent film. I appreciate it for what it was (a type of artform) and for blazing the way to what motion pictures are today (and by "today," I mean anything besides those damn Michael Bay Transformer movies). 

• Edward G. Robinson
  • Alice Faye 
  • James Dean
  • Jean Arthur 
  • Sidney Poitier 
  • James Cagney 
  • Ruby Keeler 
  • Laurence Olivier 

These are the only ones I can think of right now...

I second the recommendation for Edward G. Robinson.  I'd definitely go with Double Indemnity, but I will also add Five Star Final, Little Caesar (basically the film that made him a star), Key Largo and The Whole Town's Talking

I love Jean Arthur.  In addition to The Devil and Miss Jones and The More the Merrier, I'd also recommend Talk of the Town, Only Angels Have Wings, A Foreign Affair and Easy Living

James Cagney is someone who I've been trying to watch more of as well. I'd recommend White Heat, Footlight Parade and Mister Roberts.

I really dislike Ruby Keeler's dancing.  Much like Joan Crawford's awful dancing, she just clomps around on the floor.  I know it's considered "hoofing" or something like that, but it's just not fun to watch.  It looks like me when I pretend that I'm tap dancing. Despite that, she is good in the Busby Berkeley films that Lawrence mentioned.  While I'm not the biggest fan of Berkeley's famous geometric choreography scenes (I find them boring after awhile.  Some are okay), I do have a soft spot for The Gold Diggers of 1933

With the exception of Rebecca, I've disliked Olivier in almost all of the films of his that I've seen him in.  I think his acting style is better suited to the theater.  I don't know what it is about him. He is just horrible in The Prince and the Showgirl with Marilyn Monroe... well actually that whole movie is terrible, but it could have been less terrible with someone else cast in Olivier's part.  He and Marilyn have zero chemistry.  Their pairing has the energy of a pile of wet laundry. 

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Girl InterruptedThe Good ShepherdA Mighty HeartChangeling are all worth a look.

I liked her in Mr. and Mrs. SmithMaleficent, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and yes I'll say it, Kung Fu Panda

Looking over a list of Hollywood's Golden Age stars (it's hard for me to just think of names off the top of my head), I think I've seen a wide enough variety of films, that it's hard for me to find specific people whom I haven't seen on film before.  If they're primarily silent stars then I haven't seen those, except for a handful.  I'm not the biggest fan of silent films, but have been easing myself into them based on the performer's notoriety.  I've seen Chaplin, Keaton and Lloyd as the slapstick comedy films are the easiest to watch and follow what's going on.  I want to see Louise Brooks and Clara Bow, just to see what they were all about. 

People I haven't seen:

Louise Brooks

Clara Bow

Bebe Daniels

Mary Pickford

Douglas Fairbanks, Sr.

Ramon Navarro

Dorothy Dandridge

John Gilbert

Paul Muni

59 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

People I haven't seen:

Louise Brooks

Pandora's Box and Diary of a Lost Girl.

Dorothy Dandridge

Carmen Jones is the only major role of her's that I've seen.

John Gilbert

I didn't know a lot about Gilbert, having seen only The Big Parade and Queen Christina (both recommended) before this past year, when I've watched several of his movies and grew to like him. I'd also recommend Downstairs, Flesh and the Devil, and Bardelys the Magnificent.

Paul Muni

Muni was one of the best actors of the 1930's. He doesn't have a screen persona of his own, really, but disappears into his characters. Scarface, I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang, The Life of Emile Zola, and The Last Angry Man are all good introductory films.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Douglas Fairbanks, Sr.

I'd say that 1924's The Thief of Bagdad is a darn good example of Fairbanks Sr at work. It's lengthy at over 2.5 hours, but romps along at a good pace, has lots of Doug bounding around doing his thing & some superb special effects work for the time. You almost don't need the intertitles, either.

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

With the exception of Rebecca, I've disliked Olivier in almost all of the films of his that I've seen him in.  I think his acting style is better suited to the theater.  I don't know what it is about him. He is just horrible in The Prince and the Showgirl with Marilyn Monroe... well actually that whole movie is terrible, but it could have been less terrible with someone else cast in Olivier's part.  He and Marilyn have zero chemistry.  Their pairing has the energy of a pile of wet laundry. 

I'm a fan of Olivier's, but during his younger, leading man period he leaves me a little cold, too. Wuthering Heights and Rebecca are usually mentioned as his must-sees from this period. But even as a younger man he often played stuffy, slightly unlikable characters. His reputation mainly lies with his Shakespeare films: Henry VHamletRichard III, and Othello. Another of his middle-aged roles that is respected is The Entertainer, and he's good as the villain in Spartacus. He also had several late-in-life roles that are enjoyable, if more than a little hammy, and I really liked him in Sleuth and Marathon Man from this period.

23 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I'm a fan of Olivier's, but during his younger, leading man period he leaves me a little cold, too. Wuthering Heights and Rebecca are usually mentioned as his must-sees from this period. But even as a younger man he often played stuffy, slightly unlikable characters. His reputation mainly lies with his Shakespeare films: Henry VHamletRichard III, and Othello. Another of his middle-aged roles that is respected is The Entertainer, and he's good as the villain in Spartacus. He also had several late-in-life roles that are enjoyable, if more than a little hammy, and I really liked him in Sleuth and Marathon Man from this period.

You can see a much more approachable side to his acting in 1938's The Divorce of Lady X, or even 1939's Q Planes.

7 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

His appearances in the movies THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL and A LITTLE ROMANCE were good "latter day" roles too.  And his appearance in the NEIL DIAMOND version of THE JAZZ SINGER was the only good thing about that whole mess. ("It's not tough enough, being a Jew?" ;)

Just going by the title of this thread, I thought it had something to do with what stars haven't anyone seen OFF SCREEN, like on the street or out and about.  And for me, that would be ALL of them. ;)

Sepiatone

Not that I've never actually seen these stars, but I have to admit I've always had a MUCH tougher time picking out the constellation Ursa Minor(colloquially known as the "Little Dipper") in the night sky than I have Ursa Major.

The latter of which being helpful in locating Polaris in the night sky.

(...known colloquially as the "North Star", of course)

;)

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Not that I've never actually seen these stars, but I have to admit I've always had a MUCH tougher time picking out the constellation Ursa Minor(colloquially known as the "Little Dipper") in the night sky than I have Ursa Major.

The latter of which being helpful in locating Polaris in the night sky.

(...known colloquially as the "North Star", of course)

I was wondering who would be one to make this bad joke. I thought it would be Nippy, but now that Dargo's back in town, this makes more sense.;)

8 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I was wondering who would be one to make this bad joke. I thought it would be Nippy, but now that Dargo's back in town, this makes more sense.;)

Ooooooh...lumping me in with the Nipster here, are ya Lawrence ol' boy?!

(...ya know, I may never forgive you for this, "doan" ya?!) ;)

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I second the recommendation for Edward G. Robinson.  I'd definitely go with Double Indemnity, but I will also add Five Star Final, Little Caesar (basically the film that made him a star), Key Largo and The Whole Town's Talking

I love Jean Arthur.  In addition to The Devil and Miss Jones and The More the Merrier, I'd also recommend Talk of the Town, Only Angels Have Wings, A Foreign Affair and Easy Living

James Cagney is someone who I've been trying to watch more of as well. I'd recommend White Heat, Footlight Parade and Mister Roberts.

I really dislike Ruby Keeler's dancing.  Much like Joan Crawford's awful dancing, she just clomps around on the floor.  I know it's considered "hoofing" or something like that, but it's just not fun to watch.  It looks like me when I pretend that I'm tap dancing. Despite that, she is good in the Busby Berkeley films that Lawrence mentioned.  While I'm not the biggest fan of Berkeley's famous geometric choreography scenes (I find them boring after awhile.  Some are okay), I do have a soft spot for The Gold Diggers of 1933

I lied about Edward G. Robinson. I forgot that he was in "Key Largo," which I have seen. 

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

Pretty sure I've never seen Glenda Jackson in a movie, and she won two Oscars!

Both Women in Love and Touch of Class are worth a view. I also liked Sunday Bloody SundayMary Queen of Scots, and Hedda. I saw her in Robert Altman's Health and The Romantic Englishwoman but I wouldn't rush out for either of those.

19 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I enjoy the two films she made with Walter Matthau (HOUSE CALLS and HOPSCOTCH).

Screen shot 2017-11-07 at 6.32.01 PM.png

21 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I'm a fan of Olivier's, but during his younger, leading man period he leaves me a little cold, too. He also had several late-in-life roles that are enjoyable, if more than a little hammy, and I really liked him in Sleuth and Marathon Man from this period.

Olivier always came off as a pretentious snot, who would turn and make cynical actor-contemptuous jokes about his own "sold-out" movie roles--Still, he does have a lot of fun with his suitably detestable Sleuth character, and he earned that Marathon Man Oscar nom.

21 hours ago, limey said:

I'd say that 1924's The Thief of Bagdad is a darn good example of Fairbanks Sr at work. It's lengthy at over 2.5 hours, but romps along at a good pace, has lots of Doug bounding around doing his thing & some superb special effects work for the time. You almost don't need the intertitles, either.

Fairbanks hams it up physically in Bagdad (you can see what Cathy Selden meant by silent actors "making faces"), but you can see his action charm for his day.  Not to mention, I dare you to watch the opening scenes of Fairbanks bouncing around the marketplace and not start singing Disney's Aladdin songs...You know which one. ;)

It's even better if you can find the recent Cohen Collection Blu-ray, with the Carl Davis "Scheherezade" score--This is one I always recommend for the first-time silent-curious:

Clara Bow is also a Betty-Boop darling in It (1927), but that one's OOP and takes a bit of looking up.

10 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Olivier always came off as a pretentious snot, who would turn and make cynical actor-contemptuous jokes about his own "sold-out" movie roles--Still, he does have a lot of fun with his suitably detestable Sleuth character, and he earned that Marathon Man Oscar nom.

Possibly a case of 'movies pay the bills/taxman' for someone happier doing theater.

He did do a good job with those 2 unlikable characters.

29 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Fairbanks hams it up physically in Bagdad (you can see what Cathy Selden meant by silent actors "making faces"), but you can see his action charm for his day.  Not to mention, I dare to watch the opening scenes of Fairbanks bouncing around the marketplace and not start singing Disney's Aladdin songs...You know which one. ;)

It's even better if you can find the recent Cohen Collection Blu-ray, with the Carl Davis "Scheherezade" score--This is one I always recommend for the first-time silent-curious:

Fortunately, that's the version that currently turns up on TCM from time to time.

7 minutes ago, limey said:

Possibly a case of 'movies pay the bills/taxman' for someone happier doing theater.

He did do a good job with those 2 unlikable characters.

Aside from the tax problems (which Michael Caine reportedly gave him the good advice), by the time Olivier did "Clash of the Titans", word had finally gotten out about his degenerative disease that wouldn't let him stage-act much longer, which is why he was taking so many film roles to leave royalties behind--That got Maggie Smith and other actors out to treat Titans as a "charity benefit" for Olivier, and help him out with supporting roles.

Sort of makes you want to take back all the mean things we said about his '77-'79 roles, but that Jazz Singer one still pushes his luck...

3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Yeah, I don’t think I have either. 

I’ve been thinking about this and I don’t think I’ve seen much of the Ritz Brothers other than a clip from a movie. They seemed sort of corny. 

Y'know, having watched old movies from early childhood to now makes it hard for me to think of anyone I haven't seen at least twice. ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Silent era: I think I've seen all the big stars, even Theda Bara in about the only film of her's that stills exists (A Fool There Was). Technically I've seen Wallace Reid because he had a bit part in Birth of a Nation.

As far as "Golden Age" Hollywood is concerned ('30s to '50s), I think I've seen just about everyone in at least one film with one exception that comes to mind: Tom Mix.

tom-mix1.jpg

Stars today? Forget it. I am so woefully ignorant of so many of their names I can't even say I haven't seen actors I don't even know exist in many cases.

29 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Silent era: I think I've seen all the big stars, even Theda Bara in about the only film of her's that stills exists (A Fool There Was). Technically I've seen Wallace Reid because he had a bit part in Birth of a Nation.

As far as "Golden Age" Hollywood is concerned ('30s to '50s), I think I've seen just about everyone in at least one film with one exception that comes to mind: Tom Mix.

tom-mix1.jpg

Stars today? Forget it. I am so woefully ignorant of so many of their names I can't even say I haven't seen actors I don't even know exist in many cases.

With the exception of a handful of actors, today’s actors are so interchangeable that it’s hard for them to make any sort of impression on me. This is most likely due to the fact that many of the stars don’t have a specific personality that either they, or the studio has cultivated for them.