Sign in to follow this  
Filmgoddess

Jack Klugman dies at age 90

19 posts in this topic

Veteran actor Jack Klugman, the last surviving star of 12 ANGRY MEN, has died at the age of 90. Best known for his TV work on The Odd Couple and Quincy.

One of his lesser-known credits: He played Herbie in the original Broadway production of Gypsy with Ethel Merman, and was nominated for a Tony Award for Best Featured Actor. The part was played by Karl Malden in the movie.

He played some outstanding roles on The Twilight Zone: "In Praise of Pip"; "Death Ship"; "A Game of Pool" and "A Passage for Trumpet". He could be tough and emotional equally believably. I love his acting.

Klugman would be sorely missed. He was a great actor in character and major roles. I read he was very sick. When Tony Randall passed Klugman thought he would had died sooner because of the cancer he had.

I loved Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau as the original "Odd Couple". I have to admit though, Tony Randall and Jack Klugman will always be my first thought whenever mentioning "Odd Couple" Tony Randall was much more of a 'neatnik' than Jack Lemmon and Jack Klugman was a bigger 'slob' than Walter Matthau.

R.I.P. Jack Klugman

Of course, Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau were not the "original" Odd Couple but Art Carney and Walter Matthau were. Lemmon replaced Carney in the film which is a shame. I saw the original production and Carney was far superior.

I wouldn't call GYPSY one of his lesser credits. When the lights are dimmed on Broadway, as they surely will be, that will be the major reason why. I believe he is the last living Merman leading man -- and he was 14 years younger than she was!

I loved all of Jack Klugman's work. He was a great 'Oscar', and I am a huge fan of Quincy. The Odd Couple tv theme song was one of my favorites.......right up there with Mission Impossible, Perry Mason, The Twilight Zone, and Law and Order...............

No more Angry Men.

Joseph Sweeney, Juror # 9, 1963

Ed Begley, Juror # 10, 1970

Lee J. Cobb, Juror # 3, 1976

George Voskovec, Juror # 11, 1981

Henry Fonda, Juror # 8, 1982

Robert Webber, Juror # 12, 1989

Edward Binns, Juror # 6, 1990

Martin Balsam, Juror # 1, 1996

E. G. Marshall, Juror # 4, 1998

John Fiedler, Juror # 2, 2005

Jack Warden, Juror # 7, 2006

Jack Klugman, Juror # 5, 2012

> {quote:title=Wayne wrote:

> }{quote}No more Angry Men.

>

> Joseph Sweeney, Juror # 9, 1963

> Ed Begley, Juror # 10, 1970

> Lee J. Cobb, Juror # 3, 1976

> George Voskovec, Juror # 11, 1981

> Henry Fonda, Juror # 8, 1982

> Robert Webber, Juror # 12, 1989

> Edward Binns, Juror # 6, 1990

> Martin Balsam, Juror # 1, 1996

> E. G. Marshall, Juror # 4, 1998

> John Fiedler, Juror # 2, 2005

> Jack Warden, Juror # 7, 2006

> Jack Klugman, Juror # 5, 2012

>

]:)

So now I guess they can change the title of the movie from 12 ANGRY MEN to 12 DEAD MEN.

> {quote:title=Filmgoddess wrote:

> }{quote}Veteran actor Jack Klugman, the last surviving star of 12 ANGRY MEN, has died at the age of 90. Best known for his TV work on The Odd Couple and Quincy.

I wonder if TCM will add him to their "TCM Remembers 2012".

Klugman could do tough AND tender with equal quality and sincerity. Outstanding no matter the part. Always liked him.

R.I.P Jack.

Sepiatone

C'mon Finance, you gotta scan the earlier posts ;) . *12 Angry Men* sure had a very fine casting didn't it. The newer version starring Jack Lemmon (in the Fonda role) was rather good as well. Look up "twelve angry men" on wiki for the castings of the different versions of this story, I would like to see the original 1954 tv version of this.

Edited by: mrroberts on Dec 26, 2012 4:07 PM