Sign in to follow this  
StolenJones

Suggest a New Saturday Series

42 posts in this topic

For the past many months, early every Saturday, TCM has been broadcasting a movie from a series of movies. There was the weekly Johnny Weismuller Tarzan movie, then his Jungle Jim movies. And Johnny Sheffield's Bomba movies. Recently, TCM ended its weekly run of The Saint movies.

What other movie series should TCM show on Saturday mornings? I suggest the some 28 Penny Singleton-Arthur Lake Blondie movies. I have a handful of them on DVD, but I would love to see them all again, week-by-week.

I also would love to see all 28 "Blondie" titles. Another set that I would enjoy is "The East Side Kids". 'Charlie Chan' would also be good. I would even enjoy seeing "The Bowery Boys" 48 movies make another round. It's almost 3 years ago that TCM started their last weekly run (March 2010).

I've never seen any of the Columbia Ellery Queen films. TCM has aired the Lone Wolf, Boston **** and Crime Doctor films made by the studio, but I can't recall either a William Gargan or Ralph Bellamy title from the Ellery Queen series.

*"Has Reservoir Dogs ever aired on TCM?"*

No. Quentin Tarantino has been interviewed for TCM but none of his films have ever been aired.

These Saturday series runs are totally awesome and all of your suggestions rock the house! Torchy Blane is kicking in this week, and soon Brass Bancroft will be joining her in the slot just before noon starting in Jan! That rocks! Love to see more, especially the Chan series!

Universal's Crime Club films

Universal's Inner Sanctum films

Peggy Ryan & Donald O'Connor

Charlie Ruggles & Mary Boland

Columbia's Ellery Queen films

The Three Mesquiteers

The East Side Kids

Bela Lugosi's "Monogram 9"

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}All the titles that were originally shown in the 'Shock Theater' packages. I guess that would be an anthology series rather than a character series, so maybe not.

Maybe it wouldn't qualify for the Saturday morning character series, but it would make for an enjoyable new late Friday or Saturday night series.

Edited by: LiamCasey on Dec 25, 2012 4:42 PM

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> Yeah, I'll vote for "Blondie".

>

> Sepiatone

>

Me too.

And if they can get them, let's hope they'll be the prints that AMC ran in the mid-1990's, most of which had the original Columbia tites & credits restored.

First, *finish* the Torchy Blaine series. Glenda Farrell starred in seven of them, but only four are scheduled. Better than nothing, but it'd be nice to see them as a group.

Then, Charlie Chan. It must be a copyright issue, no?

Also, while the Bowery Boys are okay, they ran that series for a good four or five months just two years ago, and by the time they got past the first dozen or so they were pulling what amounted to a Dean Smith four corner offense on the Saturday time slot.