Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

Dreadful movie songs

201 posts in this topic

OMGoodness! Swithin, that's exactly the way I feel. I grew to really like Ann-Margaret singing the title song, couldn't stand it when I first saw the movie. The TV show MadMen did an episode using that clip of Ann-Margaret singing Bye Bye Birdie , they talk about it in detail. (of course Ann playing a 14 year was a little hard to swallow) LOL

I have a soft spot for anything in "Bye Bye Birdie", because when I was going to day camp circa 1960, the counselors put on a show for the campers, and that was it. It was really the first musical I was ever exposed to.

Cool! Mine was The Music Man for ¢10 at a local Army Base theater on a Boy Scout field trip. I sat front row center in a semi-reclined position and haven't been the same since :^0

The first movie musical I ever saw at the show was *Damned Yankees* when just a wee lad. But not so "wee" a lad as I had developed a "crush" on Gwenn Verdon.

Sepiatone

I didn't see Damn Yankees when it was released, but some years later, my local theater showed a great double-bill: Damn Yankees and The Pajama Game, two films/shows by the same creative teams. Btw, Shannon Bolin, the actress/singer who plays the wife of old Joe in Damn Yankees, turned 96 a few weeks ago. I think she lives around NYC, I met someone who knows her.

There are way too many night club singers in classic movies to mention, some big names included. If anything is dated in moves this is close to the top of the list. And yes, a few of them are very good, but too many were not.

Somehow I fear this nightclub act morphed over into ending credit songs sometime, somehow, somewhere in a smoky room, lol.

There are way too many night club singers in classic movies to mention, some big names included. If anything is dated in moves this is close to the top of the list. And yes, a few of them are very good, but too many were not.

Somehow I fear this nightclub act morphed over into ending credit songs sometime, somehow, somewhere in a smoky room, lol.

I really love the solo women piano player and singer one oten sees in movies, especially noirs \ crime dramas.    These are the gals playing in a bar or a not very classy night clubs.   e.g.  I was watching House of Strangers on MOVIES the other day,  and there was a very cool scene like that.    Just love that easy going swing style. 

The scene included Richard Conte and Susan Hayward (the movie includes E.G. Robinson).    Yes Hayward fans; if you want to see more of Hayward check out MOVIES, but you do have to put up with commercials.

Movie songs are just not what they used to be. Even among Oscar-nominated songs, there are these stinkers:

"It's Hard Out There to be a ****"/Hustle and Flow

"Lose Yourself"/8 mile

I respectfully disagree with "Hard Out Here for a Pimp" from HUSTLE & FLOW and "Lose Yourself" from 8 MILE being called "stinkers."

Both are great songs especially in the context of their movies  . . . and I am not especially a fan of hip hop.

It was an odd moment for the Best Original Song Oscar for "Lose Yourself" to be presented by Barbra Streisand.

I only wish Marshall Mathers (aka Eminem) would have been present to accept the award as one of the co-writers of the song.

I respectfully disagree with "Hard Out Here for a P-i-m-p" from HUSTLE & FLOW and "Lose Yourself" from 8 MILE being called "stinkers."

Lose Yourself is the one on that list that made me stop and ask, "Stinker?!"  I think it's a terrific song, period, and absolutely perfect for the film.

The worst song ever to have been selected for an Oscar was    Life is Hard To Be A Pimp....or something like that.

I've never had the dubious pleasure of hearing that little ditty, but it couldn't possibly be more chalk-on-the-blackboard excruciatingly tortuous as "Do Not Forsake Me, O' My Darlin' ".  That alone was enough to sink High Noon to the bottom of the Dead Sea, where all the salt in that body of water couldn't raise it from the depths.

Of course you might almost say that about every cowboy movie ballad from about 1952 to 1975, though "Don't Forsake Me" was still the worst.

"Everybody's Talkin'" from MIDNIGHT COWBOY, by Harry Nilsson. Dreadful. Ironically, Nilsson wrote and recorded one of the best rock songs ever, "Jump Into the Fire".

"Everybody's Talkin'" from MIDNIGHT COWBOY, by Harry Nilsson. Dreadful. Ironically, Nilsson wrote and recorded one of the best rock songs ever, "Jump Into the Fire".

I liked that song! Actually, it was technically not "from Midnight Cowboy; it had been written and released a few years earlier. So it couldn't be nominated for an Oscar.  The year of Midnight Cowboy, my least favorite movie song won: "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head." I hate that song. I preferred two other nominees: "Jean," from The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie; and "Come Saturday Morning" from The Sterile Cuckoo.

I liked that song! Actually, it was technically not "fromMidnight Cowboy; it had been written and released a few years earlier. So it couldn't be nominated for an Oscar.  The year of Midnight Cowboy, my least favorite movie song won: "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head." I hate that song. I preferred two other nominees: "Jean," from The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie; and "Come Saturday Morning" from The Sterile Cuckoo.

The title song from THE APRIL FOOLS, also written by Bacharach and David, was much better than "Raindrops", and was also from a '69 film.

I liked that song! Actually, it was technically not "fromMidnight Cowboy; it had been written and released a few years earlier. So it couldn't be nominated for an Oscar.  The year of Midnight Cowboy, my least favorite movie song won: "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head." I hate that song. I preferred two other nominees: "Jean," from The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie; and "Come Saturday Morning" from The Sterile Cuckoo.

Everybody's Talkin' was a very good song, perfect for the movie.

More than Raindrops I liked, from **** Thomas, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry. His recent rendition of it is better than Orbison's. He's also better looking. :wub:

More than Raindrops I liked, from **** Thomas, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry. His recent rendition of it is better than Orbison's. He's also better looking. :wub:

If a song is lousy, as I maintain, it's not perfect for ANY movie. :)

More than Raindrops I liked, from **** Thomas, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry. His recent rendition of it is better than Orbison's. He's also better looking.

Yes,  Nilsson's recording of "Everybody's Talkin'" was great and was perfect for MIDNIGHT COWBOY.

It was not eligible for an Oscar for Best Original Song because it was not written for the movie. 

It looks like **** [b-J] is being bleeped.

If a song is lousy, as I maintain, it's not perfect for ANY movie. :)

Alas, finance . . . I mean, Frazier, your assessment of the song as "lousy" is not the definitive view.

@primosprimos:

I had no idea ORBISON ever did a version of "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry".  Jazz singer CASSANDRA WILSON does a tasty cover of it on her "New Moon Daughter" CD.

Sepiatone

@primosprimos:

I had no idea ORBISON ever did a version of "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry".  Jazz singer CASSANDRA WILSON does a tasty cover of it on her "New Moon Daughter" CD.

Sepiatone

Indeed. Thanks for the pointer, Sepiatone.

:wub:

Alas, finance . . . I mean, Frazier, your assessment of the song as "lousy" is not the definitive view.

I never claimed it was. I've come to realize that virtually no two people have the same, or even very similar, musical tastes. Every time I find someone who seems to like and dislike virtually the same songs that I do, that view is eventually refuted in a big way.

"The Way We Were"

Horrible movie, and the song is annoying as all hell.

Now there's a song that sends chills up my spine, especially Barbra's stunning version.