Sign in to follow this  
Jezebelle

Downton Abbey...

11 posts in this topic

I was just curious to know who of you watch the acclaimed series "Downton Abbey"? Season 3 starts in the U.S. Janurary 6th and I was wondering if anybody here will tune in. They say that it does well with older Ladies and Gentlemen (not to step on any toes) but I will be watching. I like it but have yet to find others who do.

My wife recently discovered it and is churning through the Season 2 DVDs in advance of Season 3. The creator/writer, Julian Fellowes, was the writer for Robert Altman's "Gosford Park," one of my wife's favorites. She says the series reminds her of the movie.

I watched and enjoyed the first two seasons . . . and plan to tune in on Sunday for Season 3.

However, I can name several other Brit series/films that I enjoy (much) more and have been astonished that DA has become so popular in the U.S. I suspect that the publicity push had something to do with it.

I've already seen Season 3 and the Christmas special in Scotland. Enjoyed it very much. Two big deaths, both shocking, lots of other great stuff. Very, very enjoyable.

GOSFORD PARK is brilliant. My favorite Altman film (not hard since I don't care for much of his work). I think I've seen it a dozen times since its release in 2001.

No, publicity had nothing to do with it. People simply liked it; and it's a bigger hit here and internationally than in the UK.

I also love CALL THE MIDWIFE which recently finished Season 1. I'm dearly missing SPOOKS which went off the air after 10 seasons last year. The two-part RESTLESS with Charlotte Rampling and Michael Gambon which my friend Will adapted from his acclaimed novel was terrific.

There's a ton of great stuff from across the pond.

Deaths? OH NO!! I love these characters! Wasn't losing William enough? Can't they just let me be!?! I'm only on episode 4 ( I downloaded it because lets be serious, I'm not actually waiting for it to be aired on TV.) and enough heartbreak happened withing the first three episodes. Just let me have my happiness!

Edited by: Jezebelle on Jan 2, 2013 11:22 PM

I do watch and love *Downton Abbey*. I'll have tissues handy but I don't want it to be too sad. I hate when TV or movies make me cry.

I also enjoyed *Call The Midwife*. I cried during at least 2 episodes of it as well.