Sign in to follow this  
redheadedwoman

Jeanette MacDonald

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone read any of the biographies about Jeanettea? I see a few and am wondering if anyone can recommend the best one and why. Also, I have most of her early films for Lubitsch, is there a boxed set out there anywhere for her films with Nelson Eddy?

The BEST biogaphy is "Sweethearts" by Sharon Rich. It tells the true story of how Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy loved one another but Louis B. Mayer didn't want her to marry Eddy. If she wanted to keep her fabuous career at MGM she had to marry Gene Raymond who turned out to be bisexual, but mostly preferred young men. The sad thing is Jeanette and Nelson's films tended to reflect what was going on in their personal lives throughout almost all 8 of their films. I think the only film I wasn't crazy about was "Bittersweet" but at least it was the other film of theirs in color. Too bad they weren't all in color. I would LOVE to see "Maytime" colorized. It's such a beautiful film. Oh and "Rose Marie" would be great in color. Well, hope you get "Sweethearts" by Sharon Rich. The other bios were "authorized" by Gene Raymond after Jeanette died. And he kept up the pretense that they had a perfect marriage. So the writer was biased as it's mostly Raymond's version of her life! But there is some interesting information on her films. Rich did extensive research over decades interviewing a close circle of intimates who knew the real truth and getting them on tape.

I and other fans have been asking Warner Bros for a boxed set of their films but fans only have gotten the DVDs. These two were my mother's favorites and I loved them the minute I saw their films. I always suspected they were really in love so was amazed to see Rich's book and how this was such a huge secret all their lives. It's an amazing story how often they tried to leave their spouses and get married but never could.

Hi,

There is a very good book on Jeanette Macdonald and Nelson Eddy by Sharon Rich titled, "Sweethearts, The Timeless Love Affair-On Screen and Off-Between Jeanette Macdonald and Nelson Eddy". I would recommend you go for the revised edition published in 1991. As well as detailing both their careers, singly and together, it gives a very interesting insight into their lives from birth to death. One of Hollywood's least well kept secrets, the life long love story was played out against the exciting backdrop of Hollywood's Golden Years. The author was a great friend of Jeanette's older sister Blossom who people may remember as Granny in the Adams Family on tv in the 60s and she was given access to letters, memoirs and memories of people who were directly and indirectly involved. This book is of the "unputdownable" genre. I think you will enjoy it and reread it many times.

As of yet there is no boxed set available but I live in hope.Many of the 8 films she made with Nelson Eddy can now be bought from TCM, also some of their singles too.

hi there.. i too recommend the true story of jeanette macdonald and nelson eddy.. sweethearts by sharon rich.. the author has spent years researching and interviewing.. gathered evidence from personal friends of LA Bell macdonald and the golden baritone.. they were in love..always

if you want the real story this is the book for you.. there are plenty of other books too that still play to the cover up

and there are many fan groups even now for the singing sweethearts too.. we have petitioned warner bros(they own the rights) for the box set but at least we got the dvd's now

i think you would find the book.. real and showing how hard it was for these twin flames to be together with all mentioned above..against them..love and loss..just as the rest of us