Sign in to follow this  
misswonderly3

I AM REALLY MAD

169 posts in this topic

Ok, a little background. Today I received an email from Turner Classic Movies. It was about a sweepstakes contest, TCM partnering with the Delta Hotel chain.

The prize? An all-expenses paid trip to the TCM Classic Film Festival, 2013 !

Did anyone else receive such an email?

Anyway, naturally I was excited about this, and started to fill out the entry form. BUT !

I COULD NOT ENTER THE CONTEST BECAUSE THE FORM WOULD NOT ACCEPT MY CANADIAN ADDRESS !!

This is so stupid: there is a "field" to enter one's state OR province. It SAYS "state/province" just like that, at the top of the drop down box. But there are no Canadian provinces listed to click, and when I tried to just type it in ( mine is Ontario) it wouldn't let me.

Similar experience with the postal code.

Aargh ! Why send a message like that to Canadians if we are not allowed to enter the contest? And if we are, why not make the form accessible for Canadian addresses?

I am quite mad and disappointed about this. Any other Canadians here have the same problem? And hey, did others here, whatever their nationality, receive this email about the TCM Film Festival Contest?

MsW,

The best thing to do is probably call TCM in Atlanta on Tuesday morning. Monday is Martin Luther King, jr day here in the States and some people have the day off. It may be that TCM staffers do as well so that's why I suggest calling Tuesday.

The area code for Atlanta is 404.

misswonderly,

I am not Canadian but did receive the email about the contest. The drop down box clearly states "state or provience" so whoever designed the form made a huge mistake.

Have you tried calling or emailing TCM about this issue?

I have had this happen many many times in different area's of the states that I have come to take it fror granted.

Also in particular with TCM and have called them 'and noboby knows nothing from nothing', you get the runaround....I've given up !

So sorry that happened to you, Miss Wonderly! I hope that TCM can rectify it, and I would echo LZ's recommendation, hopefully a phone call will clear it up!

I'm just wonderin' why i didn't receive such an email about the contest tho???!!! :_|

Hi MissW -

Sorry to hear about your disappointment and frustration. And as a Canadian email recipient, you have every right to be so. There shouldn't be a "province" or "territory" option listed.

The official rules state that the drawing is open only to the residents of the 50 U.S.states and the District Of Columbia. So Puerto Ricans are left out too.

http://www.tcm.com/sweepstakes/rules.html?contentId=576556

I am guessing a "province" header is a pre-installed default option for contests and the software's registration fields.

If I recall correctly, a company can't run a contest in Canada if the company has no physical presence in the nation. (No "Canadian" office or subsidiary.) I bet TCM would love to have their Canadian viewers participate but Canadian law doesn't allow it.

And out of curiosity, is there a ".ca" designation to your email address or any other aspect of the address that would flag your email as being a "Canadian" email address? (Other than being a strictly Canadian service provider, I mean - like "Shaw"?)

*"I'm just wonderin' why i didn't receive such an email about the contest tho?"* - markbeckuaf

I think the email list is drawn from those registered at the Classic Film Festival site or at the TCM Shop site. Message Board registration is a separate list and much too big for such a targeted email as the Film Festival contest. (No one validates Message Board email addys anyway. Mine is "mail@mail.com" - or was at one point.)

Even if you didn't receive the email, I think you can register for the contest here on the site somewhere. Let me investigate...

Yep. One can enter directly at the Film Festival website -

http://filmfestival.tcm.com/

Just look for the "Enter The Sweepstakes" link on the main page.

If that is your biggest problem right now, then you should consider yourself lucky, blessed, and fortunate.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}If that is your biggest problem right now, then you should consider yourself lucky, blessed, and fortunate.

Oh, Fred, how thoughtful of you to take the time to bring things into perspective for me. Now I wish that I had done the same for you, the many times that you have complained about something on these message boards.

And oh dear, it is SUCH a big problem for me. I have taken to my bed, with a substantial supply of sedatives by my side. I have the phone numbers of my family doctor, my lawyer, and my priest ( well, don't really have a priest, but I hunted up a phone number anyway, just in case) at the ready.

And now, thanks to you, I've had a wonderful revelation: not being able to register for the TCM Classic Film Festival contest is not the disaster I'd foolishly thought it was. How lucky, blessed, and fortunate I am indeed.

What kind of sedatives? Please be specific. I'm sure you have lovely things available up in Canada that we can't get so easily in the States!

What kind of sedatives? I'm sure you have lovely thing available in Canada that we can't get easily in the states !

I don't know, we have a shortage of medications in Canada...I'm sure the pickings' are better in the US.....

Kyle, my man, thank you very much for taking your time to check into all of that!! I appreciate it!!

Sorry to hear, for Miss Wonderly and other Canadian fans sakes, that they don't seem to be able to enter the contest. :(

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}What kind of sedatives? Please be specific. I'm sure you have lovely things available up in Canada that we can't get so easily in the States!

I know at least used to they had aspirin with Codene (sp?) in it.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote} Oh, Fred, how thoughtful of you to take the time to bring things into perspective for me. Now I wish that I had done the same for you, the many times that you have complained about something on these message boards.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxSJEerTb877TqobCrxoE

I know at least they used to have aspirin with Codine(sp?) in it.

You need to see Lance Armstrong about that one..

And the Tylenol or Aspirin/Codeine combo is a painkiller. Although it may sedate, I don't think it's actually prescribed as a sedative. I had dental surgery a few days ago, got some lovely little pills prescribed for pain, but fortunately haven't needed to take them.

Being a classic film fan in Canada seems to be such a pain - you can't enter certain contests, TCM can't broadcast Laurel & Hardy material, and the Warner Archive doesn't want to ship to you.

On the other hand at least you have a health care system that makes sense.

..and beer with a higher percentage of alcohol.

..oh, that's really something for Canada to be proud of, eh !

Well, MissW could momentarily (and quickly) drown her sorrows. Not making light. I respect her frustration. :(

Edited by: dpompper on Jan 20, 2013 10:56 AM

But she musn't mix the high-percentage alcohol with the sedatives, or she will really need the health care system!

By the way I feel, in the interests of full disclosure, that I should modify that "I am really mad" statement.

OK, I'm not that mad. I just knew that thread title would get everybody's attention ( ]:) ), and also, I was genuinely angry at the time.

But what I'm "mad" about is not my inability to enter this contest. It's the fact that they sent me the damn email in the first place, when I cannot enter the "sweepstakes" because I am not American.

It's just kind of annoying, to get excited ( hey, I was only mildly excited) about a fun contest, the chance of a trip to this year's TCM Classic Film Festival, only to find that try as I might, the friggin' on-line form would not accept my application ( or whatever you call it.)

So, why send me the thing in the first place? Actually, I know why - the whole thing is automated, they just go by some list of names or emails or something, and have no way of knowing where the recipients of the emails they send out reside. I get that.

Still, it's frigging annoying and somehow frustrating - a tease, that's what it it is, a diabolical tease !

Oh, go ahead, everybody else, all you lucky Americans, enter that &*%#@! contest and see if I care. I wouldn't go to your &^%*!@ film festival if you paid me !

Where are those sedatives....