Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

MLK Day = Sidney Poitier Day

337 posts in this topic

I'm most thankful for all those early films produced by black-owned studios.  That's what's usually lacking from TCM all year around, and not just on MLK's birthday.  Movies like Cabin in the Sky and The Green Pastures are shown on a fairly regular basis anyway, and seeing them on the schedule for about the 103rd time leaves me less than thrilled.

What I'd really love to see would be a SOTM theme that featured nothing but movies produced by independent studios, and that one of those evenings be devoted to those that specialized in films like The Duke Is Tops and Midnight Shadow.  It that sounds far-fetched, consider that former SOTM tributes have honored the likes of "Singing Cowboys" and "Teen Idols".  All it would take to feature independent studios for a SOTM tribute would be a bit of imagination, a fair amount of planning, and the will power to do it.

• Like 2

I'm most thankful for all those early films produced by black-owned studios.  That's what's usually lacking from TCM all year around, and not just on MLK's birthday.  Movies like Cabin in the Sky and The Green Pastures are shown on a fairly regular basis anyway, and seeing them on the schedule for about the 103rd time leaves me less than thrilled.

What I'd really love to see would be a SOTM theme that featured nothing but movies produced by independent studios, and that one of those evenings be devoted to those that specialized in films like The Duke Is Tops and Midnight Shadow.  It that sounds far-fetched, consider that former SOTM tributes have honored the likes of "Singing Cowboys" and "Teen Idols".  All it would take to feature independent studios for a SOTM tribute would be a bit of imagination, a fair amount of planning, and the will power to do it.

And don't forget, they honored Pin-Up girls last June. 

Some of the films from the independent producers are badly in need of restoration. So if people are willing to settle for inferior prints, just to get a glimpse of history, then by all means put them on the schedule. In the meantime, it would be nice to see something like STORMY WEATHER or CARMEN JONES, big budget musicals from Fox that featured largely African American casts.

• Like 1

And don't forget, they honored Pin-Up girls last June. 

Some of the films from the independent producers are badly in need of restoration. So if people are willing to settle for inferior prints, just to get a glimpse of history, then by all means put them on the schedule. In the meantime, it would be nice to see something like STORMY WEATHER or CARMEN JONES, big budget musicals from Fox that featured largely African American casts.

I'd be more than happy to live with less than perfectly restored prints.  We get barely audible prints fairly often as it is when TCM presents some of those early sound pictures, so it wouldn't be breaking any new ground.  And in terms of sound quality, it's almost impossible to get much worse than many recent movies where the characters are whispering to each other with background mood music drowning out the conversation.

And I agree that it's nice to see Stormy Weather and Carmen Jones, but the truth is that those films are part of the regular TCM rotation already, and while they're perfectly fine films, they're nothing all that special in terms of programming. I'd much prefer to see imperfect prints of films I've never seen before.

I mean I love North By Northwest, but.........well, you get the idea.

• Like 2

And I agree that it's nice to see Stormy Weather and Carmen Jones, but the truth is that those films are part of the regular TCM rotation already, and while they're perfectly fine films, they're nothing all that special in terms of programming. I'd much prefer to see imperfect prints of films I've never seen before.

These two do not air on TCM, that is why I mentioned them. They show up occasionally on FXM Retro and are on home video. But they don't seem to be chosen by TCM's programming department. When they do tributes for Lena Horne or Dorothy Dandridge, they use what's in the TCM library (MGM, WB, UA, RKO).

• Like 1

I have to say CaveGirl, It's long been my understanding that Darwin was more AGNOSTIC than ATHIEST.  Personally....

I've long ago adopted STANLEY ADAMS characters's philosophy in LILLIES OF THE FIELD of "Insurance".  I donate to church charities, respect other's religious beliefs, in the thinking that if perhaps all the religious leaders and what the "holy rollers" and church goers believe IS true, then like Adams' Juan, "I have paid my insurance!"   :)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

These two do not air on TCM, that is why I mentioned them. They show up occasionally on FXM Retro and are on home video. But they don't seem to be chosen by TCM's programming department. When they do tributes for Lena Horne or Dorothy Dandridge, they use what's in the TCM library (MGM, WB, UA, RKO).

Glad I just checked my recording database before responding to that, because otherwise I might have offered you a stupid bet.  I'd mistakenly recalled that I'd recorded those two movies from TCM, but it turned out they both came from the Fox Movie Channel.  Thanks for catching that bit of misinformation.

• Like 1

I have to say CaveGirl, It's long been my understanding that Darwin was more AGNOSTIC than ATHIEST.  Personally....

I've long ago adopted STANLEY ADAMS characters's philosophy in LILLIES OF THE FIELD of "Insurance".  I donate to church charities, respect other's religious beliefs, in the thinking that if perhaps all the religious leaders and what the "holy rollers" and church goers believe IS true, then like Adams' Juan, "I have paid my insurance!"   :)

Sepiatone

You're right, Sepia. In publications Darwin mostly disavowed things by stating that he believed the bible was not historically correct and allowed for the possibility of gods. I have been reading "Origin of the Species" and it is obvious that his views being so controversial were always tempered by him to more agnostic implications.

I forgot to add that your idea of basically always playing the religious lottery by contributing to charities is a really smart move!

Glad I just checked my recording database before responding to that, because otherwise I might have offered you a stupid bet.  I'd mistakenly recalled that I'd recorded those two movies from TCM, but it turned out they both came from the Fox Movie Channel.  Thanks for catching that bit of misinformation.

CARMEN JONES also turns up on Retroplex. But since I have watched TCM (from 2008 to the present) I have only seen it air once or twice on the channel...I believe as part of the 31 Days of Oscar. 

Here's something I just noticed while watching Swing!

The actress (Mandy Randolph) who played the Birmingham town gossip, Liza Freeman, looked strangely familiar, so I looked her up in the credits but found nothing beyond that one movie.

I started thinking about that face, and that voice, and then BINGO! It came to me.  I can't find an obvious giveaway picture of Ms. Randolph, but......

aa-6.jpg?w=229&h=300

.....on one of the most famous shows in TV history, she had a daughter named Sapphire. Given how iconic a role Ms. Randolph had on that show,  I'm a bit surprised that Bob didn't mention the connection in his introduction to Swing!

• Like 1

Here's something I just noticed while watching Swing!

The actress (Mandy Randolph) who played the Birmingham town gossip, Liza Freeman, looked strangely familiar, so I looked her up in the credits but found nothing beyond that one movie.

I started thinking about that face, and that voice, and then BINGO! It came to me.  I can't find an obvious giveaway picture of Ms. Randolph, but......

aa-6.jpg?w=229&h=300

.....on one of the most famous shows in TV history, she had a daughter named Sapphire. Given how iconic a role Ms. Randolph had on that show,  I'm a bit surprised that Bob didn't mention the connection in his introduction to Swing!

Did she use another stage name, Andy? Is that why more credits for Mandy Randolph did not come up on the IMDb?

Did she use another stage name, Andy? Is that why more credits for Mandy Randolph did not come up on the IMDb?

To be honest, I don't know, but it appears that the only variant she used was "Mandy Randolph", which is what she used for Swing!

To be honest, I don't know, but it appears that the only variant she used was "Mandy Randolph", which is what she used for Swing!

She might have been in other films but had uncredited parts. And it simply may be that someone hasn't input all her information on the various databases.