Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

MLK Day = Sidney Poitier Day

337 posts in this topic

>If there's a joke in there somewhere, I'm sorry. I do not get it.

Well, THAT'S 'cause Addison forgot to mention that in his dream where Sidney Poitier crashes into the side of the guy's house while he's at his breakfast table, the guy was ALSO eatin' a bowl of...ahem...Post Raisin(in the Sun) Bran!

(...baada-CHING!)

You're reminding me of one of the commercials in PUTNEY SWOPE that has the announcer asking the breakfast eater if he knew that his cereal was loaded with extra vitamins and minerals.

His reply was classic but would never pass the censors here.

It aired on The Underground in May 2010, but I haven't seen it show up again. That was the first time that I saw it since it came out.

I'm not sure I completely understand the title RAISIN IN THE SUN, other than the raisin is a black family, and the light-colored sun is a white community.

Um, *NO!*

The title is taken from a line in the (brilliant) Langston Hughes poem A Dream Deferred:

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up

like a raisin in the sun?

Or fester like a sore--

And then run?

Does it stink like rotten meat?

Or crust and sugar over--

like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags

like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

As far as I'm concerned, you could quote Langston Hughes all day!

One of my favorite poets.

Sepiatone

> I think you are playing a game of semantics. Plus, you seem to be adding an element of rudeness into your responses, which impedes any real meaningful exchange of ideas as far as I'm concerned.

It never ceases to amaze me how often you think that someone is interjecting rudeness into a discussion when all they are ever doing is disagreeing with you or offering a different opinion to the one you offered up in your first post on this thread.

You did ask for anyone's thoughts did you not?

No where in dpompper's response to you was a instance of rudeness. Where you get these ideas I will never know. It is as though you want people to respond to you but their responses have to be within a certain POV that is related to yours.

And god forbid if anyone brings up a related subject that is not entirely within the scope of the present discussion.

That can not be allowed.

Oh sorry, this is just my opinion. I am not being rude here.

As far as if people who are watching films on MLK Day and thinking that the actor whose films are being shown on TCM is MLK, I think is foolish to think. I would think that most folks who are watching TCM would know the difference between MLK and Poitier. I mean TCM is not exactly Comedy Central now is it?

>Oh sorry, this is just my opinion. I am not being rude here.

In my opinion, you have been rude. Plus, your responses to mike00 in the other thread certainly do not seem friendly.

> In my opinion, you have been rude. Plus, your responses to mike00 in the other thread certainly do not seem friendly.

Oh, that's right, I keep forgetting. You have somehow appointed yourself as the one person on the message boards that decides who is rude and who is not rude. Plus you have an annoying habit of commenting on other threads within the one you are commenting on presently. It must be really hard being you.

As I wrote earlier, if people disagree with you one would think reading your posts that you are offended somehow. What I wrote earlier today was not meant to offend, rather to point out certain problems you may have with others who often disagree with you and or offer differing opinions.

As far as the comments I made to Mike00, why don't you go over to that thread and stick up for his cause there?

If one was to read most if not all of Mike00's comments, the fellow seems to have a certain need to know what is on TCM more than four months out from the current month. There are those of us who have tried in vain to get him to explain his need for this, but all we ever seem to get is rather cryptic responses. If you feel the need to call what I have written to him rude, well that is one person's opinion, not the majority.

I have an idea for you. If you feel I have been unjustly rude to you with my comments, why don't you put me on IGNORE or better yet, complain to the TCM administrator your belief that I am being rude and that you think I should be punished somehow.

>As far as the comments I made to Mike00, why don't you go over to that thread and stick up for his cause there?

I have reported all of your posts to Mike00 and will continue to do so until your tone changes. I am also concerned about your tone towards me in this thread. I don't remember seeing such unfriendly behavior from you before. Please try to show better manners. Thanks.

> I have reported all of your posts to Mike00 and will continue to do so until your tone changes. I am also concerned about your tone towards me in this thread. I don't remember seeing such unfriendly behavior from you before. Please try to show better manners. Thanks.

Wow! A tag team. What an original idea.

Here's an idea that might not be "original", but needs to be restated:

How about you two using the PM application to post all that CRAP?

Sepiatone

Its funny. Others around here post a lot more of what you just referred to as crap than what she and I have been posting about. And yet I don't ever see you commenting about those other posts.

But then again, maybe you just have it out for me, huh?

Geeze, I don't recall any gunfights going on around here. The level of discourse does at time seem to resemble attacks but the attacks are on a personal non-violent theme.

I see where you are going with your comment. But like I said, the only "violence" seems to be the written kind, if one considers what has been written between TopBilled and me violent. I would if I may refer you to what was written on TopBilled's own thread about Loretta Young. Now that thread actually spun out of control on several different pages.

Most of what is being written is actually not being absorbed by either one of us. So therefore there really does not seem to be any reason to continue with the verbal attacks.

>Ironic that while MLK preached non-violence, this thread is getting violent.

Yep. And especially since I think there's a part of the great Doctor's famous speech on the steps of the Lincoln Monument where we says:

"And there will come a day when my brothers and sisters who prefer strict adherence to conversational topics, will walk hand-in-hand with my other brothers and sisters who occasionally like to go off-topic."

(...you remember that part, don't ya?...or was that just a "dream" of MINE???)

OOPS! Yep, you're right, finance. It IS the "Lincoln Memorial"

I suppose my only excuse for this oversight might be that Philadelphia is a lot closer to our nation's capital than are the warm and sunny locales of SoCal and Arizona.

;)

Oh, that's RIGHT, fxreyman. It's about YOU!

I thought I was addressing the TWO of you. But I'll concede...

To ALL of you who post this kind of crap, it goes for YOU TOO!

Feel better?

Might be it was the latest here that the two of you persisted with was the perverbial "straw". I mean, that IS a possibility, don't you think?

Or, DON'T you?

Sepiatone

sepia,

I am not upset with fxreyman. I find it sad that you are both having an argument about this. I think there are a lot of misunderstandings and bad manners on this forum.

The truth is that I author several important threads, and I really do not want to see them turn into off-topic chit-chat, sarcasm or quarreling. Let's move forward. Thanks.