Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

MLK Day = Sidney Poitier Day

337 posts in this topic

I believe it is fairly common for a songwriter to hate their most commercial pop song.

Yea, it is a catchy tune but it is also somewhat bubble gummy.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Quick. Can you think of a rock song that mentions Sunset Blvd.?

Ray Davies wrote one.

I think you are referring to Celluloid Heroes by Ray Davies. It mentions Hollywood Boulevard but not Sunset Blvd.

*Everybody's a dreamer and everybody's a star,*

*And everybody's in movies, it doesn't matter who you are.*

*There are stars in every city,*

*In every house and on every street,*

*And if you walk down Hollywood Boulevard*

*Their names are written in concrete!*

> > {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Quick. Can you think of a rock song that mentions Sunset Blvd.?

Eve 6 has a song called Sunset Strip B*tch. And of course there is The Sunset Grill by Glenn Frye.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Feb 3, 2013 8:12 AM

Celluloid Heros is a must for any classic movie rock fan. Cool references to Garbo, George Sanders (who I find the oddest choice for Ray to single out but the line about style fits well), Mickey Rooney, Bette Davis, Bela Lugosi, etc.. and of course Monroe.

To me, the best songs about going to Hollywood, and not making it, are "Do You Know the Way to San Jose?", "MIdnight Train to Georgia", and "Hollywood" (by Rufus and Chaka Khan)....Any others?

Actually, the Doors' "L.A. Woman", one of the best rock songs ever, is indirectly about that subect, about all the people that come to L.A., hoping, in the back of their minds to make it big, and ending up in squalor.

I always thought L.A. Woman was a metaphor for Morrison's love, warts and all, of LA. He speaks of the city as a woman.

I see your hair is burnin'

Hills are filled with fire,

If they say I never loved you

You know they are a liar

Drivin' down your freeways

Midnight alleys roam

Cops in cars, the topless bars

Never saw a woman...

So alone, so alone

So alone, so alone

No matter what the ultimate meaning of the lyrics, they're great. And the musical intro to" L.A. Woman" may be the best ever. A fitting final legacy for Mr. Mojo Risin'.

Well Celluloid Heros is NOT about going to Hollywood and NOT making it, but instead the price of fame for 'making it'. All the stars listed 'made it' but for most there was a cost (expect for Mickey Rooney).

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Feb 9, 2013 5:52 PM

It is almost two years after I had originally started this thread. The January 2015 schedule has just been made available.

Once again MLK Day equals Sidney Poitier Day. In fact, the entire evening lineup for Monday January 19, 2015 is devoted to Sidney's movies. This bothers me. I will tell you why.

First, Sidney never played Dr. King in any of these movies. Also, for those who do not understand the culture of blacks in America, it would seem that it is Sidney Poitier's birthday we are celebrating on the third Monday of January. Plus I do not think Sidney's own story as a black man is exactly identical to Dr. King's. 

Why can't TCM program a broader, more diverse celebration of black cinema on this day. Better yet, why not a special day of documentary films about the Civil Rights struggle in the U.S.?

• Like 1

This bothers me.

Everything TCM does bothers you, it seems.

Edit: Since I wrote the above, I got a PM from TopBilled implying that if I didn't edit it, he'd report me to the moderator. To put what I wrote above another way, I get the distinct impression from reading TopBilled's posts that he has very clear ideas on how TCM should be programmed, and woe betide TCM if they don't program the channel exactly that way.

It is almost two years after I had originally started this thread. The January 2015 schedule has just been made available.

Once again MLK Day equals Sidney Poitier Day. In fact, the entire evening lineup for Monday January 19, 2015 is devoted to Sidney's movies. This bothers me. I will tell you why.

First, Sidney never played Dr. King in any of these movies. Also, for those who do not understand the culture of blacks in America, it would seem that it is Sidney Poitier's birthday we are celebrating on the third Monday of January. Plus I do not think Sidney's own story as a black man is exactly identical to Dr. King's. 

Why can't TCM program a broader, more diverse celebration of black cinema on this day. Better yet, why not a special day of documentary films about the Civil Rights struggle in the U.S.?

Well I'm against TCM doing a MLK Day tribute as a tribute day for black history,  just like I'm against the concept of a black history month.   While these are done to honor a race \ culture,  to me they just marginalize them.  i.e. along the lines of separate but equal.

BUT if TCM is going to do a tribute day then of course they should feature multiple actors others than just Poitier.

Well I'm against TCM doing a MLK Day tribute as a tribute day for black history,  just like I'm against the concept of a black history month.   While these are done to honor a race \ culture,  to me they just marginalize them.  i.e. along the lines of separate but equal.

BUT if TCM is going to do a tribute day then of course they should feature multiple actors others than just Poitier.

They are featuring some other stars in the morning (though a lot of that is the tried and true Harry Belafonte brand stuff), but the entire evening is devoted to Poitier, not really King. And while we can say that many of these films show (some of) the struggles faced by blacks in America, most are very sanitized and do not really get at the message of non-violence and peaceful protest advocated by Dr. King. Ultimately, I think it is both a disservice and confusing to all Americans, and especially young black Americans, to imply that MLK Day is a day to roll out some old Poitier films.

I'd like to see them not do anything on MLK Day, just to watch people have an apoplectic fit.

(By the same token, I'd like to see some large organization announce that they're going to use October to raise awareness of a disease other than breast cancer.)

• Like 1

Everything TCM does bothers you, it seems.

Edit: Since I wrote the above, I got a PM from TopBilled implying that if I didn't edit it, he'd report me to the moderator. To put what I wrote above another way, I get the distinct impression from reading TopBilled's posts that he has very clear ideas on how TCM should be programmed, and woe betide TCM if they don't program the channel exactly that way.

Don't feel to bad Fedya. This is a sore topic around here.

Don't feel to bad Fedya. This is a sore topic around here.

fxreyman,

Are you stirring up trouble again? Let's please get back to some basic common courtesy around here. Thanks.