Sign in to follow this  
VP19

'31 Days Of Oscar': A necessary evil?

154 posts in this topic

Don't get me wrong, there are some wonderful films scheduled, and I like this year's concept of focusing on various studios. But nevertheless, for some of us, February and "31 Days Of Oscar" is the antithesis of August and "Summer Under The Stars":

http://carole-and-co.livejournal.com/572419.html

Your thoughts?

"A necessary evil"?

Trick question: 31 Days is neither necessary nor evil.

Really though, I perused the schedule for tomorrow and it's an awesome day of 30's and 40's Warner's features that at least seems kindasorta like someone put some thought into shining the spotlight on some of the titles that haven't been shown *quite as much* as some of the others throughout the years.

(Some)

Aside from that, I don't like how it's organized this year (by studios), I doubt they'll run cards before the films to let us know *just what they got nominated for like they used to do* (even though we've *all* asked they do it again ever since they stopped 5-6 years ago) and I *hate* the weekend schedules.

There's one MGM-themed Saturday sometime in the middle of the month that is a crusty, crusty buffet of re-heated leftovers that would put what's out at a C-Grade Golden Corral to shame.

I'm not implying any "evil" on the part of TCM, merely that this promotion helps keep the channel in good graces with AMPAS and that during the rest of the year, TCM can be more eclectic in what it airs (the way we like it).

I'm sure that anything connected even remotely to the Oscars at this time of year gets some free publicity, and TCM has something to peg their advertising on. Both help bring in new viewers.

In that respect, I'd agree that it's a necessary evil.

I don't actually think it's all that bad. Movies I want to watch are a bit thinner on the ground than usual. That's more noticeable because they tend to load up January and March with great ones, making it a trade-off.

I'd say more of a necessary bore than a necessary evil, but there are a few not-so-common films in there that I can't remember seeing on TCM all that recently.

6 Wednesday - Imitation of Life, the far superior 1934 version with Fredi Washington

7 Thursday - The Deer Hunter - a TCM premiere?

9 Saturday - Titanic - the 1953 Stanwyck version

19 Tuesday - The Racket, the 1928 silent with Louis Wolheim, followed by another silent, the 1927 Clara Bow / Buddy Rogers Wings

25 Monday - I think this is a TCM premiere - The Color of Money, the 1986 sequel to The Hustler, a movie with one of Hollywood's 10 greatest lines *("It's like a nightmare, isn't it? And it just keeps getting worse"),* delivered by a non-actor (Keith "Earthquake" McCready) who in real life was one of the greatest pool hustlers the world has ever known.

28 Thursday - The Cardinal, a politically charged 1963 movie about a Boston priest

1 Friday (March) - Monsieur Verdoux - Chaplin's best talkie

Not much to chew on, but it keeps up TCM's good relations with the studios and it gives us a chance to catch up on all the ones we've recorded and haven't had a chance to watch. I'm not complaining.

> {quote:title=Capuchin wrote:}{quote}I'm sure that anything connected even remotely to the Oscars at this time of year gets some free publicity, and TCM has something to peg their advertising on. Both help bring in new viewers.

>

> In that respect, I'd agree that it's a necessary evil.

>

> I don't actually think it's all that bad. Movies I want to watch are a bit thinner on the ground than usual. That's more noticeable because they tend to load up January and March with great ones, making it a trade-off.

You're telling me. On March 8th, for the first time in memory, they're showing Rossellini's War Trilogy *(Open City, Paisan, and Germany: Year Zero)* back-to-back-to-back. That alone makes March a memorable month.

> {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote}January and March with great ones, making it a trade-off. You're telling me. On March 8th, for the first time in memory, they're showing Rossellini's War Trilogy *(Open City, Paisan, and Germany: Year Zero)* back-to-back-to-back. That alone makes March a memorable month.

More than that, 4 of the 6 Ingrid Bergman films the next week including the premier of Voyage to Italy, the extremely rare India: Matri Bhumi later on, and several other films that have yet to appear on DVD or Blu-ray in the English world.

> {quote:title=JonasEB wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote}January and March with great ones, making it a trade-off. You're telling me. On March 8th, for the first time in memory, they're showing Rossellini's War Trilogy *(Open City, Paisan, and Germany: Year Zero)* back-to-back-to-back. That alone makes March a memorable month.

> More than that, 4 of the 6 Ingrid Bergman films the next week including the premier of Voyage to Italy, the extremely rare India: Matri Bhumi later on, and several other films that have yet to appear on DVD or Blu-ray in the English world.

I didn't list the Bergmans only because I was pretty sure that they've all been shown within the past couple of years. I didn't realize that Voyage to Italy is a premiere.

I also note that April begins with 9 straight Lon Chaneys, including The Blackbird, which I know hasn't been screened on TCM for at least 3 1/2 years. Add the "Tough Guys" SOTM in May, and TCM is well on its way to redemption from the 31-day festival known as "Wake Me When It's Over".

all right, it's started and I gots a beef already...

aside from the non-surprise that they're not showing title cards before the films to let us know what nominations and wins they did recieve, they're re-hashing the same 31 Days theme music with a montage that plays before the movies start where they use *an old radio recording of someone presenting the Best Picture Oscar from a ceremony a loooooooooong time ago.*

Whoever it is goes into some detail about what makes a picture the Best Picture of the year, and it's not bad...only problem is, most of the films I noticed in the montage (among them Good Morning Vietnam and Tootsie ) did *NOT* win best picture, in fact, some were not even nominated.

and....

In using this recording before the airing of a film, it really does give the impression that *the film that follows won Best Picture* , which in the case of the movie that followed just now- Little Caesar- it most certainly *did not.*

This maybe seems like a quibble, but no- if they're gonna force this on us and act like they're the official historians for the AMPAS they *need* to provide an accurate context in which to show these movies.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Feb 1, 2013 9:12 AM

That does seem kinda silly. AND misleading. I'd personally like to see the intro "cards" come back. It would be nice to know just HOW the following movie fits into the "31 Days of Oscar" theme.

Maybe they could do another KIND of Oscar thing. 31 days of movies with actors named "Oscar" in the cast. Or CHARACTERS named Oscar.

Or 31 days of movies where the cast wears clothes created by Oscar De Laurenta.

Or 31 days of "Odd Couple" TV episodes featuring the exploits of Oscar Madison...

I'd also like to see a feature where TCM shows a collection of Bergman films...INGMAR Bergman, that is. *Wild Strawberries* , *Smiles of a Summer Night* , *Winter Light* and *The Seventh Seal* can fill in for those nights that *North By Northwest* or *Vertigo* might be shown.

And to AddisonDeWitless: In referrence to your "C-rated Golden Corral" comment, I have to quote Jack Nicholson from *A Few Good Men* ; "Is there another kind?"

Sepiatone

LOL. And it's started, already on Day 1, the whining, the carping, the labeling it as possibly "a necessary evil."

I'm a half-full kind of guy. I see it as a necessary opportunity, during which a lot of young people get a chance in a compressed period to catch up on a lot of great work. And some of those people will be turned on and join us in these message board conversations someday.

I'll get to the gym more this month, and I'll watch some other shows I don't normally watch, but I'll come back to TCM to revisit some favorites and am looking forward to catching some less-seen titles as well.

So there! ;)

Good post. I see it as a fine way to showcase studio history, which is exactly what this year's theme is.

I am going to do a countdown on the 'Tomorrow on TCM' thread. So while it is now 31 Days of Oscar, tomorrow will be 30 Days of Oscar, then 29 Days of Oscar and so forth.

For those who do not enjoy this programming, come back on March 2nd when there is 1 Day of Oscar left, or on the day after that when it's zero (until 2014).

I am going to do a countdown on the 'Tomorrow on TCM' thread. So while it is now 31 Days of Oscar, tomorrow will be 30 Days of Oscar, then 29 Days of Oscar and so forth.

There you go again, using someone else's thread to advertise your own. C'mon, you don't need to do that, you're "a magnet." ;)

Well, when they started the tribute, the Oscar telecast was held in March which has 31 days. For whatever reason, when the telecasts shifted to February, TCM chose to stick with the 31 day format.

It does seem rather anti-climatic to keep the tribute going past the date of the Oscar telecast, but I guess that they have their reasons.

> {quote:title=NewYorkGuy wrote:}{quote}LOL.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I'm a half-full kind of guy. I see it as a necessary opportunity, during which a lot of young people get a chance in a compressed period to catch up on a lot of great work.

>

And I'm a "who cares if it's full or empty, this drink is terrible!" kind of guy...

A. Young people do not watch TCM.

B. The Oscars are not about rewarding "great work." They have missed the mark roughly 95% of the time. I've brought this up 10,000 times, but here's 10,001- *if you want to get someone interested in classic films or show them how awesome movies used to be*, show them Touch of Evil, Scarface: The Shame of the Nation, Dinner at Eight, Trouble in Paradise, The Bank Dick, Scarlet Street, Gun Crazy, Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Night of the Hunter, Kiss Me Deadly, Cluny Brown, Stars in My Crown, My Darling Clementine, or Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (NOTE: I'm culling all this from memory so I may be off) but (to the best of me recollection) those films recieved a grand total of *zero nominations* (at least in the major categories, they might have gotten some technical nods, I can't say for absolute sure.) Show someone new to classic movies Come Back Little Sheba, The Greatest Show on Earth, The Great Ziegfeld, Blossoms in the Dust, A Free Soul, any scene of Luise Rainer in The Good Earth, Hamlet, Mourning Becomes Electra, Love is a Many-Splendored Thing, Viva Villa!, Doctor Doolittle, All the King's Men, Love Story, The Towering Inferno, The Country Girl, and yes, even Gigi, Ben-Hur and From Here to Eternity and they'll either laugh their **** off or never watch anything made before 2005 ever, ever, ever, *ever* again.

C. TCM is providing said newbies to classic film *absolutely no context in which to view them or any backstory on the films and their nominations outside of "well, it's on this month so it must've gotten nominated for something."* For example, Little Caesar was on this morning, with no mention of the fact that it's sole nomination was for it's (rather weak) screeplay while Edward G. Robinson's iconic performance was not even nominated that year (1931), although at least two pretty awful performances did (Richard Dix, who is just the *worst* in Cimarron and Lionel Barrymore, who I like, but whose winning role in A Free Soul is pure Christmas Ham.) And there are lots of great films that they can (and do) show because they got a screenplay or a technical nomination, but not one for best picture or acting, even though they blow what did get nommed (and won) out of the water that year. They could at least suggest you link to TCMDB to see what nominations in what categories a film *did* get, but they don't (and that's fine, since all TCMDB is is IMDB copy-and-pasted with a few more errors to boot.)

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Feb 1, 2013 12:55 PM

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Feb 1, 2013 1:04 PM