Sign in to follow this  
VP19

'31 Days Of Oscar': A necessary evil?

154 posts in this topic

Possibly. I think in Dunne's case they just forgot about her or felt she was too old to make it. Mitchum wouldnt have shown up. (there is a rule!) I've given up on Doris getting one (I doubt she cares in any case) They had a big Facebook campaign a few years ago which the Academy was well aware of. It doesnt bother me so much anymore, since they've dropped those presentations from the "big show" (so they can cram in another pointless production number/salute). A mistake IMO.......

Edited by: Hibi on Feb 4, 2013 9:18 AM

Edited by: Hibi on Feb 4, 2013 1:13 PM

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote} It doesnt bother me so much anymore, *since they've dropped those presentations from the "big show"* (so they can cram in another pointless production number/salute). A mistake IMO.......

>

> Edited by: Hibi on Feb 4, 2013 9:18 AM

Really??

Are you sure?

but to take it back to Hal Needham and the title of the thread...

*THAT SHOWS HOW LITTLE THOUGHT WENT IN TO THIS WHOLE THING.* Smokey and the Bandit IS SHOWING THIS MONTH (which is *awesome* ) but it is on at *4:15 AM.* (which is not.)

If a big part of this whole 31 Days thing is to attract new viewers, *that* is a title *that will* (for all sorts of reasons) and *it could not be more topical or resonant- those words maybe somewhat alien to the powers-that-call-the-shots over in Atlanta.* I mean GAH, you guys LIVE IN GEORGIA, do you ever leave the building or you just live there too?

*Dumb.*

ps- I know people on here would complain "It's the end of TCM, they're showing SMATB in PRIME TIME!!!!" *THEY DON'T MATTER,* the score of people *who really would tune to YOUR NETWORK FOR THE FIRST TIME to WATCH THAT MOVIE WOULD.*

*Dumb.*

And it's a way to pay homage to *THIS YEAR'S HONOREE* Hal Needham who...I guess did things besides Smokey? Did he do Cannonball Run II? 'cause if he did, he *totally deserves that Oscar.*

(but, NO, not more than Dodo.)

PS- *HANG IN THERE BURT! YOU'RE A NUT, BUT WE STILL LOVE YOU.*

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Feb 4, 2013 11:01 AM

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Feb 4, 2013 11:02 AM

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Feb 4, 2013 11:04 AM

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Feb 4, 2013 11:06 AM

Unless they put them back in again. They dropped them several years ago into one of the pre-Oscar shows (technical people and such).......Another reason for me not to watch.

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Unless they put them back in again. They dropped them several years ago into one of the pre-Oscar shows (technical people and such).......Another reason for me not to watch.

Dumb. Pity we won't see this scene in a tribute reel:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQA5M8ru0YlP50-VhHqcmH

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> Not too many Republicans at Woodstock.

Who do you think was selling the brown acid? :)

The world needs more Oscar Levants. He is missed. Oscar for SUTS!!!

*There have only been 3,104 feature films up for an Oscar over the years (That includes documentaries and foreign-language films). 1,286 came out before 1960. 1,643 came out before 1970. TCM is showing 349 this month. By the limited number of films that can be shown, I think they are trying as best as they can.*

Actually they feature nominations in all categories/

31 Days of Oscar isn't necessary or an evil

Not necessary, for sure, but a formulaic PR evil that TCM is committed to.

But no matter, I had never before seen Berkely Square and it was delightful.

Doubtful. I think they only started that category a decade or so ago......

For the years 1935-1945, THE STUDIOS submitted one entry a piece in the technical categories, such as BW/Color cinematography, sound and adapted/original score- which were then *automatically given a nomination*, the AMPAS really had nothing to do with the nomination process. In some years there were almost *20 nominees* for score alone.

So the academy really deserves no credit for being "innovative" enough to nominate the score from Revolt of the Zombies or the sound from Bride of Frankenstein: *it was all the studios.* And really, it's a bit dubious that TCM has inserted a lot of these films as "officially nominated by the Academy" when really, the Academy had very little to no say-so at all in their nominations.

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}For the years 1935-1945, THE STUDIOS submitted one entry a piece in the technical categories, such as BW/Color cinematography, sound and adapted/original score- which were then *automatically given a nomination*, the AMPAS really had nothing to do with the nomination process. In some years there were almost *20 nominees* for score alone.

>

> So the academy really deserves no credit for being "innovative" enough to nominate the score from Revolt of the Zombies or the sound from Bride of Frankenstein: *it was all the studios.* And really, it's a bit dubious that TCM has inserted a lot of these films as "officially nominated by the Academy" when really, the Academy had very little to no say-so at all in their nominations.

Which explains the presence of "To Be Or Not To Be" on the TCM schedule March 1, it didn't get nominations for the work of Benny, Lombard or Lubitsch, but did get one for its score.