Sign in to follow this  
twtpark

The Lasse Hallstrom Touch

13 posts in this topic

"My Life as a Dog". Once seen, you will not forget. This charming film stays with you. There is much talk about the Ernst Lubitsch touch in Classic Hollywood.The Lasse Hallstrom touch in today's movies is pure magic.

• Thanks 1

I missed it when it came out and have always wanted to see it. Recorded it and hope to watch it during the blizzard tomorrow.

"My Life as a DOG"?----LASSE Hallstrom? Is this a joke? or a coincidence? Is there a bio of Lasse Hallstrom called "The Courage of Lasse"?

• Haha 1

Saw it but don't remember it.

Must've been under the influence of a greenie (learned a new word today).

A very beautiful and sad film. I have always wondered if the child was supposed to have autism or another disorder and they just never said it because it was stigmatized in those days. His barking and behavior in general seems very odd.

Rewatching made me think that if everything else Hallstrom made was lost, except for  My Life as a Dog, people would probably think Hallstrom was a much better director than was actually the case.

32 minutes ago, skimpole said:

Rewatching made me think that if everything else Hallstrom made was lost, except for  My Life as a Dog, people would probably think Hallstrom was a much better director than was actually the case.

Well most of his directorial credits are ABBA music videos anyways.

21 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Well most of his directorial credits are ABBA music videos anyways.

I've also seen What's Eating Gilbert Grape?Something to Talk AboutThe Cider House RulesChocolatThe Shipping NewsAn Unfinished LifeCasanovaThe Hoax, and Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.

Most were acceptable, high-gloss Oscar-bait flicks that were passably entertaining and/or moving. A few were bad. Many were made for the Weinsteins, who notoriously had final cut over the finished product. None are as good as My Life as a Dog, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I think I saw Cider House Rules when it was on TCM once. It was okay. Besides My Life as a Dog, this is probably my favorite Hallstrom production. :lol: 

• Like 1

So, we're pretty much defining Lasse by one film, and not those dozens and dozens of sellouts he did every time Miramax wanted to sneak in another feel-good Oscar-bait?

I didn't know Lasse Holstrom even had a "directorial style" anymore.

On 5/18/2019 at 1:49 AM, EricJ said:

So, we're pretty much defining Lasse by one film, and not those dozens and dozens of sellouts he did every time Miramax wanted to sneak in another feel-good Oscar-bait?

I didn't know Lasse Holstrom even had a "directorial style" anymore.

He has a directorial style, it's just a cheap, schmaltzy one.