sanfranciscosearcher

Pre-Code Films

5 posts in this topic

For all fans of Pre-Code films, I recommend the new biography of Warner Bros. actor Lyle Talbot ("Three on a Match," "20,000 Years at Sing Sing," "Ladies They Talk About" and many, many more).

It's called, "The Entertainer: Movies, Magic and My Father's Twentieth Century" (Riverhead Books) by his daughter, Margaret Talbot, who is a staff writer for the New Yorker magazine.

It's packed with insider stories and fresh insights about the Pre-Code era.

I recommend the 1933 film The Kiss Before the Mirror, which I've seen a number of times.

A husband catches his wife cheating on him, and he murders her. He turns himself in to the police. His best friend (a lawyer) is assigned to defend him, and this lawyer begins to have suspicions about his own wife's fidelity.

I recommend the 1933 film The Kiss Before the Mirror, which I've seen a number of times.

A husband catches his wife cheating on him, and he murders her. He turns himself in to the police. His best friend (a lawyer) is assigned to defend him, and this lawyer begins to have suspicions about his own wife's fidelity.

I assume not on TCM since this is a Universal film.    Anyhow thanks for the tip.    I always seek out James Whales films,  especially the non-horror ones because the 'feel' of the film.  

E.g. Have you see The Great Garrick: 1937 American historical comedy film directed by James Whale and starring Brian Aherne, Olivia de Havilland, and Edward Everett Horton?

While this is a Warner Brothers picture it still has Whales stamp all over it.  

I assume not on TCM since this is a Universal film.    Anyhow thanks for the tip.    I always seek out James Whales films,  especially the non-horror ones because the 'feel' of the film.  

E.g. Have you see The Great Garrick: 1937 American historical comedy film directed by James Whale and starring Brian Aherne, Olivia de Havilland, and Edward Everett Horton?

While this is a Warner Brothers picture it still has Whales stamp all over it.  

The Kiss Before the Mirror sure has a "feel" to it. It's crime-drama, by the way.

I haven't seen The Great Garrick.