Sign in to follow this  
Capuchin

VOTING THREAD -- TCM Programming Challenge #23

47 posts in this topic

I'm casting my lot with Lydecker. Curtiz, Cortez; what's not to like? I really enjoy the concentration on films from what I think is the key era of the classics! Well done!

And the voting stands thus:

LonesomePolecat -- 1

Swithin -- 3

Skimpole -- 2

Fedya -- 2

Lydecker -- 1

It's great to see everyone being recognized! They're all great schedules.

Every poster who was registered on this site prior to January 1 is eligible to vote, and voting is open until noon, Monday (but please don't wait until the last moment).

I know picking just one is hard (and I'm glad I don't have to choose between them).

Just a reminder that voting closes Monday at noon.

You can vote by posting here or sending me a PM.

5 great schedules! Pick your favorite!

It's hard to pick a favorite schedule for this Challenge because there are great and favorite things in each one: LP's Weenie King as Guest Programmer, Skimpole's all day of Jean-Luc Godard films, Fedya's Shelley Winters and Water Don't Mix, Lydecker's Essential: Laura, and Ricardo Cortez films. But, ultimately, I have to cast my vote for Swithin, who had Surrealism, Orpheus variations, Beulah Bondi as SOTM, Time Travel, Grand Central Station, and Herman Melville themes. A fantastic job, Swithin. Also, congratulations to the other four fabulous entrants and their schedules.

Voting is now closed!

Congratulations to all who entered! You are did a fabulous job. I hope the TCM programmers are paying attention and will --steal-- be inspired by your great themes and movie picks.

The final results are:

Swithin -- 4

Skimpole -- 2

Fedya -- 2

LonesomePolecat -- 1

Lydecker -- 1

Congratulations Swithin!

As winner, you have the honor of hosting the next challenge.

Golly, Capuchin, I'm amazed! Thank you for your hard work. You did a brilliant hosting/moderating job. And with early voting! Basically, I think we have a tie with five diverse and imaginative schedules. Fedya, Lonesome Polecat, Lydecker, and Skimpole -- you produced schedules as creative as we've seen on TCM on the best of days!

And as I've learned -- it's not easy. Suddenly you realize you need to squeeze in a short, or another movie, etc. When I had finished the arduous task at last, I realized I had two premieres too many. So I had to delete The Undead -- Roger Corman's bizarre take on the Bridey Murphy story -- from the time travel series; and I had to replace Mountains of the Moon, which would have gone so well with Stanley and Livingstone -- in the Africa series.

But those are the travails of a programmer! Until next time...

Congrats, Swithin. You had a wonderful schedule. I can't wait until the next Challenge.

Thanks to Capuchin for moderating this Challenge. A terrific job.

Thank you filmlover, countess, and lydecker. Lydecker, your beautiful schedule reads like a love letter to the classic film. I look forward to your next one!

> {quote:title=countessdelave wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks to Capuchin for moderating this Challenge. A terrific job.

Thanks.

SansFin and I have both been moderators (she did #18), so I suspect we'll bow out of future voting. Hosting the challenge is fun, but we're not able to energize and promote it like others do (and we don't get to do schedules).

Thank you Lonesome Polecat! I must congratulate you on your schedule -- I particularly love the Oklahoma series, having made many visits there; the brilliant juxtaposition of the Carol Burnett bits with the films; and most of all, thank you for making me aware of two additional Charters and Caldecott films! (And thank you -- I think -- for your vote. I didn't realize when I entered that the winner has the responsibility to set the next challenge.)

Swithin:

What a lovely comment about my schedule! -- "Reads like a love letter to the classic film."

That's precisely what I intended and I so enjoyed creating it. Looking forward to the next

challenge. Again, congrats.

Lydecker

I congratulate all those who entered schedules. Each and every schedule was unique and interesting and showed your insights and knowledge. They were all very wonderful and I would be very happy to see them air.

I give congratulations and condolences to Swithin for winning. Have you decided when you will post your challenge?

Welcome back, SansFin. I guess the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, and Capuchin is now temporarily absent.

I did not know when I entered that I would have the pleasure of setting the next challenge. It's akin to choosing a pope, I think. Capuchin said no later than October, so I have time. I must confess I don't really understand it all, though he has given me guidance. Maybe I will try for July -- I have to go to London then, and sometimes it's nice to indulge in some persiflage whilst having breakfast, watching the boats go by on the Thames.

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}

> Welcome back, SansFin. I guess the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, and Capuchin is now temporarily absent.

I thank you for your kind words. We take turns lurking because to log in with our username when the other has logged in before requires turning off the computer which often interrupts programs which are running for other matters and which must be reinitialized.

> I did not know when I entered that I would have the pleasure of setting the next challenge.

I know it is stated in the rules as I proofread them before he posted it as he proofread mine when I hosted the challenge.

> I must confess I don't really understand it all, though he has given me guidance.

I believe you will do fine. Many here are happy to help as and when needed. You have but to ask.

I fear I did not read the rules thoroughly! Though I will live up to my responsibilities. It's certainly a nice touch to have the winner set the next challenge. I'm sure it will be fun in its own way.

Skimpole, when I saw A Day in the Country on your schedule, it not only reminded me of how great and beautiful that film is, it reminded me of the way I felt the first time I saw it, nearly 30 years ago. Is there any film more exquisitely evocative?