Sign in to follow this  
joefilmone

"Oz The Great and Powerfull" (2013)

6 posts in this topic

Sam Ramin reveals hit true horror movie roots in this movie filled with terrifying flying baboons, a transformation scene right out of "The Wolfman" - the only thing missing was cameo by the Evil Dead. They spent a fortune on this spectacle and at least they got the eye popping color right.

I saw it flat- but Raimi does milk the 3 - D effect at one point even putting a lion on the audiences lap.

James Franco is ok in the lead- the weakest performance is Michelle Williams as Glinda- it's easier to play campy evil than sweet goodness. I don't think the movie is a disaster- it just feel like those over produced family musicals from the 60's like "Doctor Doolitle" with out the songs.

I was entertained visually and thought the movie reflected the $250 million spent on it but it was mostly loud explosions and special effects--it had none of the heart of its classical ancestor from l939.I liked James Franco a lot as the wizard and only wish it had some musical numbers. This was a movie that could have used music. Also, the extras were all too ordinary and diverse. My favorite character was the adorable little "doll" girl who broken leg was repaired by the wizard.And they're already announcing not only a sequel--but possibly several more follow-ups!This movie was a mighty leap for mankind compared to the miserable "Jack the Giant Slayer." That flick was just unbelievably fake and juvenile and poorly conceived.

The budget was on the screen it did feel like a BIG STUDIO PRODUCTION. Yes I'm sure they are planning sequels let's just hope they get better scripts. I agree that the film could have used a couple of songs. I wonder if now they will greenlight "Wicked" which is still making money on Broadway.

I found nothing to dislike, and loved the 3D. The opening credits alone, with some of the best use of 3D I've ever seen.

As I understand it, Disney has the rights to all of L. Frank Baum's Oz books with the exception of "The Wizard Of Oz". I dont know who, if anyone has the film rights to Wicked...but if it IS made into a movie, im sure Disney AND MGM (or whoever currently has the rights to the Wizard of Oz) will be watching pretty closely.