Sign in to follow this  
princessananka

At the Mountains of Madness

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone out there know what's the status of this constantly referred to movie version of H.P. Lovecraft's terrifying masterpiece?I think I've been reading about this project for decades. Every major fantasy/horror/sci-fi director has commented about how much they want to film it.Guillermo del Toro is the one whose connected most to this idea but I hope he is not the one who might actually get a stab at it.To me, his idea of horror is too cerebral and his monsters are always children friendly (i.e., the monster mother in MAMA) or they're created more to admire than to admire. They don't shock you like ALIEN'S chest buster or John Carpenter's horrific mess of a creature in THE THING.Lovecraft left most of the monsters to the reader's imagination, as was his style. This made them as hightmarish as we could conceive of them in our own minds. I hope some young firebrand, like a young John Carpenter or a young Ridley Scott would grab this idea and be given total freedom in trying to find monsters that don't always resemble dinosaurs or lizards. Geiger came up with the monster if ALIEN and it's the last original creature that actually made me jump in my chair.

I don't think anyone has really made a sucessful H.P. Lovecraft adapation- "Dagon" came close. Lovecraft really can terrify you with his powerful disturbing writing- I remenber having to put down one of his stories becasue he was really freaking me out.

I think the only status is that there is no status. Universal did not greenlight the film because they wanted a PG-13 ratingand Guillermo Del Toro wanted an R. That was in 2011. There have been no new developments AFAIK. Maybe that's for the better, just think how horrible it would be if they threw a love story or something into HPL's best work.

Edited by: Klaatu13 on Mar 15, 2013 5:57 PM

Unless they find the perfect director for this project, then it'll become just another run-of-the-mill horror flops.My nightmare is that somehow M. Night Shyamalan might grab this one and turn it into another of his nothing movies--that is, there will be a lot of idiotic talk but you'll never see even a glimpse of the monster. And then since we all know that this director enjoys making his Hitchcock-like cameo appearance, he might be among the expedition as their token Indian.Or, equally worse, Rob Zombie might get this one and he would somehow transform this into another red neck massacre with the monsters all chewing tobacco and saying the "F..." word over and over again. And Zombie would somehow work in his wife and an array of naked girls.

Nake girls never hurt the box office but seriously- M Night Shymalan has become a hack for hire since "The Happening" bombed.