Sign in to follow this  
yanceycravat

The Donovan Affair (1929) - with Live Voice Actors and Sound Effects

9 posts in this topic

I just wanted to call everyone's attention to this rare and very unique screening. It will be quite an experience and something you won't soon forget.

Read below why you've got to see/hear it to believe it.

Oh, yes, yours truly has the great honor of lending a hand, or voice, as it were, to the proceedings.

Yancey Cravat

-------

THE DONOVAN AFFAIR (1929)

Dir. Frank Capra

The Festival is proud to present a unique way of "restoring" an early talkie whose soundtrack has been lost, with this special screening of Frank Capra and Columbia Pictures' first all-talkie. Although the Library of Congress holds a print of this rarely seen film, the original sound discs have been lost. Now Bruce Goldstein, director of repertory programming at New York's Film Forum, will present the west coast premiere of the picture with live actors and sound effects to re-create the lost soundtrack. Like many early talkies, THE DONOVAN AFFAIR is mostly stage-bound, set primarily in a single room where the host of a society dinner party is murdered while the lights are out. Nonetheless, Capra and cameraman Ted Tetzlaff livened it up with some creative camera angles. Goldstein searched the nation for a script to the film, finally finding about 60 percent of the lines in the records of the New York State Board of Film Censors. Working with actors capable of capturing the rhythms of 1920s stage stars, he reconstructed the rest of the dialogue through careful study of the film stars' lip movements.

*In attendance: Bruce Goldstein and company.*

This screening is presented with a print courtesy of the Library of Congress Film Archive.

Yancey, this is great news! I can't wait to see you as part of *The Donovan Affair!*

The first Columbia all-talkie and you are a part of it. Wonderful to hear about this event and learn of your participation! You have such an evocative voice, and will lend such an air of sophistication to this murder mystery. Can you tell us about the part or parts you will play?

Congratulations!

I didn't think there was any way to make this particular screening even MORE special....

I mean, leave it to TCM, which has brought live musical accompaniament to many silent screenings during past Classic Film Festivals, to go even further and bring a live vocal soundtrack to an orphaned talkie. How cool is that?

DonovanAffairThe1929LRG

But now to find out that one of our own is part of the acting ensemble? Fantastic! This is definitely a "must-see" event in 2013.

Congratulations Yancy!

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Mar 21, 2013 7:36 AM

Thanks, Guys!

It's going to be quite a nifty trick. I look forward to seeing you there for sure.

While not the largest part in the movie I do get to voice the title character among other smaller parts.

Donovan was played by John Roche.

Unfortunately he doesn't have a very distinct voice to imitate like Gable or Ronald Coleman.

Fortunately he doesn't have a very distinct voice so no one will be thrown!

Yancey

*"While not the largest part in the movie I do get to voice the title character..."* - yanceycravat

Oh Lord. I was afraid you were going to be the dead body! And you are!

I hope you get to kiss the girl before your demise!

DonovanAffairThe1929LRG_3sht

Original 3-Sheet Poster

Still the coolest screening announced so far this year!

Yancey,

Can't wait to see you and the film!

The interesting this about THE DONOVAN AFFAIR is that it's such early Capra it's hard to compare to later efforts like "MR. SMITH" or "WONDERFUL LIFE".

While there are some great laughs there's no Capra-corn. I'm guessing it having been a stage play first has something to do with that.

Capra was five years away from winning an Oscar. Besides Jack Holt and Fred Kelsey probably only real ardent film buffs will recognize the other names and faces.

I hope this event turns out to be one of those great festival events that people will be talking about the year after like WINGS or WENT THE DAY WELL.

Yancey