Sign in to follow this  
joefilmone

"Bates Motel" (2013)

3 posts in this topic

This is the second attempt to spin a tv series out of "Psycho" back in 1987 there was another "Bates Motel" but it was sequel. The new show is about teenage Norman very well played by Freddie Highmore and his mother Norma (Vera Farmiga) who seem to young to have a teenage son. The series wants to be both a creepy "Twin Peaks" show and CW type teen soap opera.

I was so excited about this series but have lost interest in it.Like all spin-offs, sequels, retreads, etc. of great masterpieces it doesn't work for me in its modernized setting.The black and white original created its own universe and set pieces that have become iconic.We remember the beautiful black, white and silver images in its l960 universe: the clothes, hair-styles, cars, etc.When I try to enjoy this updated series it just becomes another series about a killer teenage kid and smothering mother.That's why nearly all these remakes of legendary fright films never come close to the power of the originals.So that's why I'm NOT thrilled to see this Friday's opening of EVIL DEAD and even worse, CARRIE that opens in a few weeks. And now I've read the buzz that some filmmaker is going to REMAKE Rob Zombie's REMAKE of HALLOWEEN!!!! And then we'll start all over again with a REMAKE of the REMAKE of NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, PROM NIGHT, FRIDAY THE 13th.

The show has very little to do with "Psycho" and more to with "Twin Peaks" and greed. Black and white might have helped- but a lot of plot points make no sense- would Mrs Bates really buy this hotel in the dreary town that no one in his right mind would want to visit?