Sign in to follow this  
hlywdkjk

[b]Anybody Want A GRID Schedule?[/b]

9 posts in this topic

And the choices are already some difficult ones! Thanks for posting this Kyle!

I can see a fairly clear path of what I want to attend, with one or two decisions to make, but there is one key time period that has me going, "Are you kidding?!"

All of these overlapping at different times Saturday afternoon between 2 to 6 pm:

Conversation with Max Von Sydow

Giant (World Premiere restoration)

On Golden Pond (with Jane Fonda in person)

The Big Parade (World Premiere restoration)

The Train

They Live By Night

Guy and Dolls (at the El Capitan)

...and What's The Score with Alex Trebek which takes place when Giant and Guys and Dolls are just finishing.

Chief,

Silent film lovers should be very happy with this schedule:

Kevin Brownlow and Carl Davis share the stage at Club TCM and discuss their collaborations.

*It*, *The Big Parade*, *The General* with live music accompaniment and author John Bengston, talking about the silent film locations around Hollywood utilized by Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton and Laurel and Hardy. Oh, and he discusses the Oregon locations of *The General*. And Cari Beauchamp talks about women in early Hollywood.

:)

Kyle, I noted 1 change from the schedule available yesterday to the one I received by email today. The previous schedule had THE GENERAL being shown at the TCL Chinese twice on Sunday, once at 9:30 a.m. and once at 7:30 p.m., which seemed strange. The morning show at TCL (Grauman's) Chinese is now the premiere of the restoration of BADLANDS.

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

{font:Calibri}A few words about some of the new additions to the festival lineup which were unfamiliar to me:{font}

{font:Calibri} {font}

{font:Calibri}LA TRAVERSEE DE PARIS (aka FOUR BAGS FULL (1956), dir. Claude Autant-Lara). Jean Gabin and the comedian Bourvil must transport four bags of black market pork across Paris during the Nazi occupation. The film, which mixes comedy and drama, outraged some of its initial viewers in its less than heroic portrayal of some of the French characters. In the pre-New Wave days this movie had a solid reputation, and it sounds worthy of re-discovery, especially if you enjoyed Jean Gabin’s Summer Under the Stars day as much as I did. {font}

{font:Calibri}SUDDENLY IT’S SPRING (1947, dir. Mitchell Leisen). In this comedy Paulette Goddard plays a WAC marriage counselor whose own marriage to Fred MacMurray is on the rocks. Macdonald Carey costars. The imdb rating is a very favorable 7.5 of 10, although the only posted review is lukewarm. The team of Leisen, Goddard, and MacMurray has definite possibilities. {font}

{font:Calibri}TRY AND GET ME (aka THE SOUND OF FURY, (1950) dir. Cy Enfield). Lloyd Bridges and Frank Lovejoy star in this film noir which is based on some of the same incidents which inspired Fritz Lang’s FURY. Enfield was blacklisted and is best known for a film he made in England, ZULU. There’s a good write-up on this film in Richard Harland Smith’s most recent Movie Morlocks column.{font}

{font:Calibri}Known to me, but not seen: {font}

{font:Calibri}IT ALWAYS RAINS ON SUNDAY (1947, dir. Robert Hamer), which is one of the most admired British film noirs. Googie Withers plays a housewife whose life is turned upside down by an escaped criminal who is her ex-boyfriend.{font}

{font:Calibri}CLUNY BROWN (1946 , dir. Ernst Lubitsch). This comedy has a devoted following. Jennifer Jones is a plumber’s niece who likes to fix drains herself. Charles Boyer as an intellectual Czech refugee, Peter Lawford is an English aristocrat, with Helen Walker, C. Aubrey Smith, and Una O’Connor as a mother who says little but coughs meaningfully.{font}

{font:Calibri}THE SWIMMER (1968, dir. Frank Perry). Burt Lancaster revisits his past as he swims through various suburban swimming pools. Based on a John Cheever story. Janice Rule, Marge Champion, and Kim Hunter are also in the cast.{font}

{font:Calibri}Also worth noting:{font}

{font:Calibri}SAFE IN HELL (1931 , dir. William Wellman). A remarkable pre-Code with a great performance by Dorothy Mackaill. A lady of easy virtue kills a man and flees to a Caribbean island with no extradition treaty. The past has a way of catching up with her, and the present has its problems, too. Donald Bogle will introduce, no doubt mentioning the remarkable supporting performances by Nina Mae McKinney and Clarence Muse. William Wellman, Jr. will also be in attendance.{font}

{font:Calibri}THE TALL TARGET (1951 , dir. Anthony Mann). Abraham Lincoln’s inaugural train makes its way toward Washington, but threats of a assassination plot abound. Dick Powell stars as a detective, Adolph Menjou as a politician, and Ruby Dee has a great supporting role as a slave. Different from Mann’s most famous films, but very enjoyable, perhaps especially if you’ve just seen LINCOLN.{font}

*"Kyle, I noted 1 change from the schedule available yesterday to the one I received by email today."* - kingrat

I missed that.

But I see that there are some additional "tweaks" to the posted schedule since yesterday. (Or I was REALLY not looking closely.)

Norman Lloyd & Todd McCarthy are speaking at the screening of *Ruggles Of Red Gap*.

There's a "LeMans: Behind The Scenes" presentation in Club TCM.

And though it was noted yesterday in the schedule, I don't know if everyone picked up on it -

*Dial "M" For Murder* is also being presented in 3-D during the Film Festival.

----------------------------------

Looking at the schedule as it stands today, the most difficult choice I would have to make would be between our buddy 'yancey's performance in *The Donovan Affair* and the screening of *Deliverance*. That's a TUMS moment.

:_| I just saw the schedule I was e-mailed and am crying in my drink. The Festival seems to just keep getting better each year and so many of my favorite movies are getting shown this time around. The variety is amazing and I remember having to decide which one of two or more to see the year I went. Half of me is delighted for those of you who will be there and the other half cursing the fates that I can't be. I know you all will have one great week-end and find Kyle as helpful and friendly as I did. Enjoy!