Sign in to follow this  
classicsstarlets

Jonathan Winters, dead at 87

17 posts in this topic

One of the greatest improvisational comics ever. Loved his ability to flesh out those wacky characters of his.

As a kid, I don't recall my father ever laughing any harder in life than at Jonathan's antics on that old Zenith TV set of ours.

(...R.I.P. funny man)

Winters was the funniest man there ever was. I had LP records of his comic routines and used to lose sleep on school nights when he was on with Johnny Carson. Small price to pay.

The scene when he deconstructs a gas station in Mad World is the best.

Jonny's gone on to that Big W in the sky...and he's looking for Phil Silvers.....and he's armed with a pickaxe.

Of the main cast of *Mad World* treasure hunters, only Sid Caesar and Mickey Rooney remain.

Spencer Tracy, 1967

Eddie "Rochester" Anderson, 1977

Jimmy Durante, 1980

Ethel Merman, 1984

Phil Silvers, 1985

Dick Shawn, 1987

Terry-Thomas, 1990

Milton Berle, 2002

Buddy Hackett, 2003

Edie Adams, 2008

Dorothy Provine, 2010

Peter Falk, 2011

Jonathan Winters, 2013

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}One of the greatest improvisational comics ever. Loved his ability to flesh out those wacky characters of his.

>

> As a kid, I don't recall my father ever laughing any harder in life than at Jonathan's antics on that old Zenith TV set of ours.

>

> (...R.I.P. funny man)

Yes, very funny... RIP Mr. Winters...

Remember him in films like "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World," "The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming," and "Viva Max!"

Haven't seen "Viva Max!" for years, a funny film...

But this is a girls bike!

a Great line from It's A Mad 5 World.

What a great big wonderful loon he was! Loved him dearly. For those interested in a more dramatic turn from him, the ME tv network has kindly changed their schedule tonight to show Jonathan's Twilight Zone ep. "A Game of Pool." That's at 11p.m. (est)

> {quote:title=sfpcc1 wrote:}{quote}

> But this is a girls bike!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> a Great line from It's A Mad 5 World.

>

Awesomely funny line/bit. He was a delight in that movie.

Some of my earliest memories are seeing some of the Jack Paar Tonight Shows (I was VERY young) . My dad was somewhat of an insomniac and he liked watching Paar a lot (he never liked Carson as much as Paar). Some nights I would wake up and sneak downstairs to see why Pop was laughing so much. Often Pop would let me stay and watch, and both he and I would then get in big trouble with Mom. Johnny Winters was a frequent guest on Paar's show, and I can remember his "old lady" Maude Frickert. Carson later did the same character as lovable "old Aunt Blabby".

His appearances on Dean Martins show were always a treat, a funny man and gifted entertainer. R.I.P Mr. Winters------Semper Fi.

Jonathan Winters was an inspiration to so many comedians. He gave millions of people laughter and entertainment. Brilliant talent. Thanks for all the laughs. RIP, Mr. Winters

He and Red Skelton were always my favorites as a kid.

Along with Andy Kaufman, Mr. Winters is one of the few comedians to ever send me into uncontrollable spasms of laughter... rolling on the floor unable to breath.

One of my favorite showings of his is 'The Loved One'. I particularly liked that he had a dark side that could come out now and then... he could be intimidating when he wanted to be.

Ann Blyth's Queen of the Nile has just been bumped off *The Twilight Zone* by Jack Klugman and Jonathan's Game of Pool. Poor *MeTV* is really having to work overtime this week-end fitting in all the tributes to departed stars. Maybe they'll pull out some *Mork and Mindy* episodes later next week.

Ouch, some news sites are reporting his death with: 'Jonathan Winters, star of Mork and Mindy, dies'.

Ouch.

As a kid, I don't recall my father ever laughing any harder in life than at Jonathan's antics on that old Zenith TV set of ours.

Funny how many times I've read that, Dargo. My father, who never laughed, ever, bust a gut at IAMMMMW and The Odd Couple movie. That was it, I think, but he found IAMMMMW hysterical. I didn't, but I did like it, the first time.

Funny, quirky, ahead of his time guy. I never knew he was M/D. I bet that made him funnier.

Damn, wouldbe, I just WATCHED that episode last night!

Sad to hear of his passing. He's responsible for my pronouncing it "Gar-BAHGE" to this very day! And I sorely miss Maude Fricker!

Yes, ahead of his time, and in a class all his own.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=venusboys3 wrote:}{quote}

> One of my favorite showings of his is 'The Loved One'. I particularly liked that he had a dark side that could come out now and then... he could be intimidating when he wanted to be.

*The Loved One* is probably my favorite of his films, and he plays two roles.