Sign in to follow this  
RMeingast

Anybody Drink Drew's During "The Essentials"?

48 posts in this topic

The closest TCM came to YOUR idea, Dargo, was when a couple of years ago they had TCM staffers be "guest programmers" on some nights. And they made some good choices.

Sepiatone

Dargo and Sepia,I don't think you guys were on the bds. a few years ago, when Cinemaven, Mongo, Filmgoddess, Kyle, lzcutter, Filmlover and some other frequent posters( I forget now who else,so please forgive me if you guys are reading this) were Guest Programmers for an evening. They all did a Great job picking their favorite films and discussing them with RO. It was a wonderful evening.(I think it may have been more than 1 evening)

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Apr 14, 2013 6:36 AM

I'd like to see John Karlen doing Essentials. He's a big fan of old movies and loves Chester Morris.

> {quote:title=RMeingast wrote:}{quote}

> JC could co-host with RO and somebody would complain..."Jesus!! What's up with Jesus choosing "Clash of the Titans" as an essential??"

>

>

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRA2xbsNU9_anAJ1UzPOa2

And talk about plastic surgery, Gurl has had some *work done.* But for 2000, he looks good.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Apr 14, 2013 7:44 AM

Anyone else notice how in the new Essentials promo, Drew refers to this gig repeatedly as a *"job"* with an intonation that would almost suggest she regards what she's doing as *a task* on a par with something where a person must wake up and go somewhere and maybe even get paid to do it.

(edit- I guess she's right on two out of three.)

BUT, sersely, I'm sure she takes scale as her fee for doing this, and she maybe found a way where she could wave getting paid, but I'm sure TCM's still got to shell out for- at the very least- a car and driver pick her up/ deli tray/ bowl of orchid water, scented candles and rider accoutremonts/ and booze/make-up and wardrobe budget.

(All/most of which are done/provided by people with *jobs* in a less abstract sense of the term.)

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Apr 14, 2013 9:25 AM

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}Yep, I've always thought that instead of these "names" telling us how they "feel" about the movies that are shown on these sorts of "special programmings", I would rather see Bob sit across from somebody around HERE(i.e., a frequent contributor to these very boards) and one who REALLY knows the ends and outs of these classic films and who could INTELLIGENTLY discuss them with Mr.Osborne.

>

You know who I'd love to see sit down with Robert Osborne as a guest programmer for a night of his favorite films? Our own markbeckauf of the weekly grooving reports! I am sure it would not be dull nor would it be an evening of the same old same old!

You're right, Addy. I feel strongly about it. Totally unfair that someone with "the name" gets the gig over folks who truly are qualified.

Edited by: dpompper on Apr 14, 2013 12:13 PM

> {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:}{quote} You know who I'd love to see sit down with Robert Osborne as a guest programmer for a night of his favorite films? *Our own markbeckauf* *of the weekly grooving reports!* *I am sure it would not be dull nor would it be an evening of the same old same old!*

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Apr 14, 2013 12:11 PM

>Dargo and Sepia,I don't think you guys were on the bds. a few years ago, when Cinemaven, Mongo, Filmgoddess, Kyle, lzcutter, Filmlover and some other frequent posters( I forget now who else,so please forgive me if you guys are reading this) were Guest Programmers for an evening. They all did a Great job picking their favorite films and discussing them with RO. It was a wonderful evening.(I think it may have been more than 1 evening)

Wow, I didn't know this, lavender. I'm sorry I missed this. Every one of the names you mentioned has always impressed me with their knowledgeable postings around here.

I wonder why TCM hasn't made this, at the very least, an annual event?

>You know who I'd love to see sit down with Robert Osborne as a guest programmer for a night of his favorite films? Our own markbeckauf of the weekly grooving reports! I am sure it would not be dull nor would it be an evening of the same old same old!

Yep, good suggestion, calvinnme!

But, ya know who I'D like to see doin' this? RICH...otherwise known as "scsu1975" in these here parts. And I'll tell ya why!

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY is more cleverly hilarious around here than is our boy Rich, and when he graces us with his next installment of that "Juvenile Delinquent" thread of his!!!

(...yep, I'd LOVE to see him sittin' across from Bob O. and discussing his lineup of films like, say, "Hot Rods to Hell", "Kitten with a Whip" and/or maybe "College Confidential"!!!)

LOL

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}

> > Dargo and Sepia,I don't think you guys were on the bds. a few years ago, when Cinemaven, Mongo, Filmgoddess, Kyle, lzcutter, Filmlover and some other frequent posters( I forget now who else,so please forgive me if you guys are reading this) were Guest Programmers for an evening. They all did a Great job picking their favorite films and discussing them with RO. It was a wonderful evening.(I think it may have been more than 1 evening)

> Wow, I didn't know this, lavender. I'm sorry I missed this. Every one of the names you mentioned has always impressed me with their knowledgeable postings around here.

>

>

>

> I wonder why TCM hasn't made this, at the very least, an annual event?

I believe that event was in 2009 back during TCM's 15th anniversary celebration. Oh by the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TCM - April 14, 1994 .

Thanks for the further clarification on this, cal.

However once again, I wonder why TCM hasn't seen fit to do somethin' like this since then?

What...maybe "too inside" for the average TCM viewers who don't participate at this website? And thus, the first time it was tried it didn't draw enough ratings to those nights? And thus again, possibly confirming my earlier supposition that the vast viewing public are only drawn to these sort of "special programings" because of the celebrity's "name recognition"?

(...hmmmm...I wonder how one could find out from some TCM exec IF my "poorer ratings" guess here IS the reason this hasn't been tried since '09?)

> However once again, I wonder why TCM hasn't seen fit to do somethin' like this since then?

But they have. Two years ago, they had their own employees on picking films and last year, they highlighted the Morlocks and their choices.

So, they have had average viewers a few times since the 15th anniversary special in April 2009.

Edited by: lzcutter because my memory finally kicked in.

Yep, maybe Iz, and I do get the significance of the "15" year thing also, however once again...unless it was found to be "detrimental" to their ratings to have you folks do it that one time, I wonder why this hasn't been tried again since you and the others did it in '09?

(...btw...once again, I'm sorry I missed you and the rest of the folks that lavenderblue said hosted with Bob O back then...if you don't mind me askin', what films did you pick?)

I just don't understand this thread and why anyone responded to it.

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}Some people will leap at any opportunity to voice their disaffection for Ms. Barrymore. The thread creator knows this and was guaranteed to get plenty of *captious* responses.

>

> Other than that, there's no reason for the thread to exist.

I dunno. I just learned the meaning of the word "captious"- so, you know, it hasn't been a total loss.

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}Some people will leap at any opportunity to voice their disaffection for Ms. Barrymore. The thread creator knows this and was guaranteed to get plenty of captious responses.

>

> Other than that, there's no reason for the thread to exist.

>

Drew Barrymore is the co-host of "The Essentials" on TCM (just starting her second year as co-host) and I read a news item that she has created a new wine. There are fans of Miss Drew, such as myself, and I simply wondered if anybody has tried her wine:

http://www.7x7.com/eat-drink/drew-barrymore

Others who regard Miss Drew less than I do have had many opportunities in the past in other threads to voice their opinions, and have done so. And if they wish to comment in my thread, nothing I can do about it.

What else is new on this message board.

Anyways, simply some news about a TCM personality and in a fun manner, I hope...

Who knows (I don't know the laws in the US?), but Barrymore Wine could possibly end up being sold online with other TCM merchandise in future???

Edited by: RMeingast on Apr 15, 2013 9:13 AM

Add link to article.

Dargo, you and a few others on these boards should be picked as guest programmers for an evening. Aside from selecting films, you could get to try out your comedy act on National TV. Beats the h**l out of open mic night at the Improv.

Well, don't look at ME. I'd be too busy asking RO how he likes having the Tigers stomp all over the "beloved" Yankees, or why New Yorkers can't simply suggest getting some pizza, rather than saying "let's go GET A SLICE". Or why too many New York pizzarias have a dislike for putting CHEESE on them? ( Or maybe it was only the place I got pizza from when in NYC. They put on three measly rectangular slices of mozzarella on the whole thing, and IF you were lucky, you might wind up with the piece with SOME cheese on it! And razor thin, the crust was)

Sepiatone