TomJH

WHAT WAS THE MOST PERFECT ENDING IN MOVIES?

487 posts in this topic

To me the perfect ending comes in "Hoosiers".  Given that it was based on something that actually happened puts it in a great context. The end, where the camera slowly works its way to the picture of the state winning team, could not be better. A lone boy shooting hoops in an old, musty gym preceding the final frame captures Indiana basketball at its best and, in a moment of personal predujice Jimmy Chitwood has always been a favorite character of mine.

I'd nominate two candidates for "Perfect Ending", one from 1932 and one from 1933.

Rain, where Walter Huston's sanctimonious preacher drowns himself out of shame for his dirty old man hypocrisy.   Schadenfreude isn't a noble sentiment, but it was hard not to feel it in this case.

And Red-Headed Woman, perhaps the only film of the pre-code era where the "sinner" not only didn't repent her evil ways, but came out smelling like a rose with a clueless sugar daddy up one sleeve and her chauffeur up the other.  If ever there were a case of an actress born to a role, it was Jean Harlow for this one.

Renault doesn’t perform one non selfish act in the entire movie.   He is willing to do anything if he benefits from it.    So it is just unrealistic that he would all of a sudden give up his comforts to join the cause.    Now Rick doing an unselfish act makes sense.   As Renault points out when they are in Rick’s office Rick has always favored the underdog.     But no events or dialog prior to Renault kicking that trash can with Vinci wine suggest that Renault would turn around and do the right thing.    

So if Renault was true to form he would of order his troops to arrest or shoot Rick.   But that wouldn’t have been as much fun and we wouldn’t have that great final line so I’m not complaining, just pointing out the obvious.