Sign in to follow this  
Jolynn24

Depressed I didn't make it again this year!!

3 posts in this topic

I have wanted to go to each festival, but not yet made it to any of them. I plan to go next year by myself it I have to. I eat, drink, sleep, and breathe classic movies. Actually I don't think too many great movies have been made since the mid-40's.

The 30's era is my favorite.

Does anyone have any advise or good information about attending the TCM festival by yourself? Thanks very much!

Jo:)

> {quote:title=Jolynn24 wrote:}{quote}.

> Does anyone have any advise or good information about attending the TCM festival by yourself? Thanks very much!

> Jo:)

>

You will never be attending a TCM Festival "by myself". The minute you get there you are surrounded by fellow classic movie lovers delighted you are there and eager to help you out any way they can. In 2011 I haden't been at the lobby bar a minute before I was nearly swollowed up by one, treated to a drink by another and squished by a couple more. (You know who you areand I love you all). I was also able to get a discount ticket for a WB tour from another who acted as if I was the one doing the favor instead of her making a fantasy come true for me. At the movies you'll meet all kinds of folks from everywhere who love them as much as you do, gain and share your knowledge of them, and just enjoy each other. If you do find yourself alone that can be an adventure like looking all evening for a restaurant that serves fish and finding out too late that the "Hawaiian B-B-Q" around the corner had plenty to go with the pig. Or getting lost in the hills trying to photograph the Hollywood sign. You will not be bored.

Edited by: wouldbestar on May 1, 2013 11:44 PM

"wouldbestar" expresses it very well. This was my first year at the TCM festival (though I have attended many NY and Telluride fests in the past.) It is amazing the folks I met this year, and from the first minute I arrived, I knew I had come home to a place I'd never been before, both at Club TCM and also at the screenings. Even the staff was friendly and knowledgeable about film. Wow....a great experience....you must go at least once!