Sign in to follow this  
mikat1

Next Year's Festival

32 posts in this topic

{font:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif}My recommendations for next year's festival would be movies turning 50, and aside from obvious favorites like My Fair Lady and Dr. Strangelove, which have been screened a lot here in LA, I'd love to see: {font}

{font:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif}Goldfinger {font}

{font:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif}Mary Poppins {font}

{font:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif}The Carpetbaggers {font}

{font:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif}The Pink Panther {font}

{font:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif}Viva Las Vegas {font}

{font:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif}A Hard Days Night {font}

{font:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif}Father Goose {font}

{font:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif}Fall of the Roman Empire (in 70mm){font}

{font:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif}The Pawnbroker {font}

{font:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif}Nothing But A Man {font}

{font:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif}The Killers (Ronald Reagan's last film) {font}

{font:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif}Marriage Italian Style {font}

{font:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif}What A Way to Go {font}

{font:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif}Zorba The Greek {font}

{font:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif}Zulu (in 70mm){font}

*"My recommendations for next year's festival would be movies turning 50..."*

Actually, I was thinking it would be great if the Classic Film Festival presented a slate of films from a quarter century earlier than that and celebrated the year 1939 at the 2014 event.

Titles like

*Beau Geste* with Bill Wellmann, Jr. in attendance.

*Destry Rides Again* with David Riva in attendance

and

*The Roaring Twenties*

> Beau Geste with Bill Wellmann, Jr. in attendance.

:):):)

Chief,

I love that suggestion (Bill, Jr is so dreamy!!!) and would be there in a New York minute!

I love the idea of celebrating 1939 at the Festival, especially the chance to see some of the films from that year that don't get the recognition they deserve. (I also love your other two suggestions! *Roaring Twenties* is one of my favorite Cagney/Bogart films and *Destry* with David Riva would be fun!).

One from that year that should be seen in a theater, *The Rains Came*. The special effects in that film make it a must see on the big screen.

Kyle and lz,

Agree with the 1939 suggestion. Terrific idea! And as Kyle intimated, these would the 75th anniversary for each!

I would like these added to the list of 1939 films already mentioned:

The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex

Son of Frankenstein

You Can't Cheat An Honest Man

Gunga Din

Babes In Arms

Intermezzo: A Love Story

Goodbye, Mr. Chips

filmlover -

You've got a nice list. I agree with *...Elizabeth And Essex*. (And *The Rains Came* too, Lynn) I would also add *Stagecoach*.

As to the OP's idea of 50 Anniversary presentations, I'd add *The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg* which I've seen with two release years so I am not certain if it is actually 1963 or 1964. Of course, I'd hope the Classic Film Festival would invite Catharine Denueve to be in attendance.

Edited by: hlywdkjk on May 2, 2013 12:59 PM

Because "Umbrellas" didn't need a possessive " 's "

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

{font:Calibri}Wouldn’t Maggie Smith be a great featured guest for next year’s festival? With Downtown Abbey a huge hit, and films like The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and Quartet coming out in the last year or so, she has never been more popular. She made a recent list of the 10 most appealing celebrities. Perhaps she could have the Max von Sydow spot for next year—and what a great idea it was to invite him—two films and an interview. {font}

{font:Calibri} {font}

{font:Calibri}Possible films could be her Oscar-winning roles in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and California Suite; her Desdemona opposite Laurence Olivier as Othello; Travels With My Aunt; her Brit noir Nowhere to Hide, which was popular when recently shown on the network; Young Cassidy, opposite Rod Taylor; or The Pumpkin Eater, although her role is relatively small.{font}

{font:Calibri} {font}

{font:Calibri}Given Cher’s recent appearances on TCM, another option would be to have both Cher and Maggie Smith on stage for Tea With Mussolini. Doesn’t that sound like something that would draw a crowd?{font}

David, what wonderful suggestions!

And I love her Desdemona as well as *Young Cassidy!*

> {quote:title=kingrat wrote:}{quote}{font:Times New Roman} {font}

>

> {font:Calibri}Wouldn’t Maggie Smith be a great featured guest for next year’s festival? With Downtown Abbey a huge hit, and films like The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and Quartet coming out in the last year or so, she has never been more popular. She made a recent list of the 10 most appealing celebrities. Perhaps she could have the Max von Sydow spot for next year—and what a great idea it was to invite him—two films and an interview. {font}

> {font:Times New Roman} {font}

> {font:Calibri} {font}

>

>

>

>

>

> {font:Calibri}Possible films could be her Oscar-winning roles in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and California Suite; her Desdemona opposite Laurence Olivier as Othello; Travels With My Aunt; her Brit noir Nowhere to Hide, which was popular when recently shown on the network; Young Cassidy, opposite Rod Taylor; or The Pumpkin Eater, although her role is relatively small.{font}

> {font:Calibri} {font}

>

>

>

>

>

> {font:Calibri}Given Cher’s recent appearances on TCM, another option would be to have both Cher and Maggie Smith on stage for Tea With Mussolini. Doesn’t that sound like something that would draw a crowd?{font}

>

>

Cher and Maggie Smith discussing *Tea With Mussolini* would certainly be a crowd-pleaser!

Excellent suggestions!

TCM just showed PURPLE NOON in their much-appreciated salute to Alain Delon. Apparently there's a restoration of PURPLE NOON which will be shown at the Cannes Film Festival this year. If an English-subtitled version is available, this would be a great choice for the 2014 festival.

Or the 2015 festival, or whenever it becomes available.

One of the most-requested films for TCM has been another Rene Clement film, THIS ANGRY AGE (aka THE SEA WALL, aka BARRAGE CONTRE LE PACIFIQUE) (1958). Jo Van Fleet as a possessive mother, Anthony Perkins and Silvana Mangano as her children, and with Richard Conte and Alida Valli also in the cast. Apparently rights issues have prevented release on VHS or DVD or a TCM showing. But if one of the cinematheques would loan a print, wouldn't this be a catch for the festival?

We can dream!

Would love to see:

*Robin Hood* (Doug Fairbanks version)

*The Adventures of Robin Hood* (Errol and Olivia)

*Viva Las Vegas* poolside with Tom Brown and Chris Isaak talking to Ann-Margaret. Tom and Chris were great with Mary Ann Mobley a few years back.

*El Cid* in 70mm with Sophia Loren

Jeff and Beau Bridges introducing any Lloyd Bridges film except *High Noon*.

A Club TCM presentation by Steve Bingen talking about the old MGM studio and backlot. This year it was standing room only for John Bengston's presentation on silent film locations in Hollywood and I bet this one would be, too!

A Club TCM presentation on film restoration with George Feltenstein, Schwan Belston, Grover Crisp and Jan-Chris Horak from UCLA's Archive or someone from the Academy's Film Archive.

A Club TCM presentation featuring Peter Bogdanovich.

*American Graffiti* with the cast

*The Man Who Would Be King* with Sean Connery and/or Michael Caine or one of the Hustons.

*Ride the High Country* or *The Wild Bunch* with Peckinpah biographer, David Weddle.

*The Roaring Twenties*

*The Rains Came* (terrific on the big screen)

*Remember the Night* with Kate MacMurray

More family members introducing films!

Nice list, your majesty.

How about we put Ben M. in between Jane Fonda and Jon Voight at a screening of *Coming Home* ?

And I think it is time for Clint Eastwood to show up too. TCM has been very, very good to him over the past few years. (Including this month's "Clint as Director" event.)

Dear Lynn and Kyle,

Since I am planning to finally attend 2014's event, I heartily endorse your choices of:

*El Cid* - with Sophia Loren (my favourite STAR!!)

*The Rains Came* - Myrna and Ty at their most beautiful & George and Brenda giving good performances each

*The Roaring Twenties* - I've never seen it, but hear Gladys George is great

*Destry Rides Again* - Jimmy and Marlene at their best

Larry

*"Dear Lynn and Kyle, I am planning to finally attend 2014's event..."* - VL

Wow! What great news. You're going to have a ball. Lynn is going to be thrilled that our old friend is coming to Hollywood.

Thanks for the validation on our suggestions too.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}Would love to see:

>

> *Robin Hood* (Doug Fairbanks version)

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> *The Adventures of Robin Hood* (Errol and Olivia)

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> *Viva Las Vegas* poolside with Tom Brown and Chris Isaak talking to Ann-Margaret. Tom and Chris were great with Mary Ann Mobley a few years back.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> *El Cid* in 70mm with Sophia Loren

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Jeff and Beau Bridges introducing any Lloyd Bridges film except *High Noon*.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> A Club TCM presentation by Steve Bingen talking about the old MGM studio and backlot. This year it was standing room only for John Bengston's presentation on silent film locations in Hollywood and I bet this one would be, too!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> A Club TCM presentation on film restoration with George Feltenstein, Schwan Belston, Grover Crisp and Jan-Chris Horak from UCLA's Archive or someone from the Academy's Film Archive.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> A Club TCM presentation featuring Peter Bogdanovich.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> *American Graffiti* with the cast

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> *The Man Who Would Be King* with Sean Connery and/or Michael Caine or one of the Hustons.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> *Ride the High Country* or *The Wild Bunch* with Peckinpah biographer, David Weddle.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> *The Roaring Twenties*

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> *The Rains Came* (terrific on the big screen)

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> *Remember the Night* with Kate MacMurray

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> More family members introducing films!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

These are great choices, Lynn! And I agree with all of them. A double Robin Hood bill would be fabulous. And I would like to request *The Man Who Would Be King* with Sean Connery and Michael Caine again. too!

I would also enjoy a Club TCM event with author Carl Rollyson discussing one of the subjects of his recent biographies, Dana Andrews.

Larry, we are all tickled you will be joining us in 2014! :)

Essex, you are more than welcome!

I would love for Jon Voight and Jane Fonda (as well as Bruce Dern) to introduce and talk about *Coming Home*!

And I agree, it's time for Clint to make an appearance though I am grappling with which film. Would it be a Clint directed film or would Clint choose a Don Siegel fiilm, with or without Eastwood. Siegel, of course, being Eastwood's mentor.

How cool would it be to have Clint introduce *Invasion of the Body Snatchers* !

And Larry,

I am thrilled to hear that you will be at next year's Festival. I see a trip to Musso and Franks in our future!!! (along with Kyle and MrC)!

But most all, am looking forward to hanging out with you!!!

Lynn!

Okay, let's try this again!

I absolutely adore your list of who you think should come next year! I would especially love to see what Beau and Jeff Bridges had to say on any film really. I wonder how Arabesque looks on the big screen. I would love Sophia to speak about that film too!

*The Man Who Would Be King* with Sean Connery and/or Michael Caine or one of the Hustons.

I know a lot of people underestimate this film and I would be delighted to see it on the big screen, especially with one of those gentlemen presenting it. Now if Christopher Plummer actually came with them? Holy joe! That would be amazing!!

Kyle!

And I think it is time for Clint Eastwood to show up too. TCM has been very, very good to him over the past few years. (Including this month's "Clint as Director" event.)

That would be so cool if Clint came to speak! I bet he has some stories and great insight!

Mikat,

I think your list is awesome for possible next year films! Could Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke pretty please come for Mary Poppins?! And I think Leslie Caron has come already, but I really want her to come again. *Father Goose* would be a great to see too!

I would love to see these:

*Mary Poppins* or *The Tamarind Seed* - with Julie Andrews

*Chitty Chitty Bang Bang* - with Dick Van Dyke and/or Sally Ann howes

*Daddy Long Legs* and/or *Father Goose* - with Leslie Caron

*The Man Who Would be King* (I really agree with Lynn on this one!)

*A Midsummer Night's Dream* (1968) - with Helen Mirren, (Pretty please!) Diana Rigg, Judi Dench, Bill Travers and Ian Holm. How amazing would it be to see that group together?!

*Pride and Prejudice* (1940) (I still have yet to see a Greer film on the big screen, so snap, I really want this one to play!) - with Marsha Hunt

or *Random Harvest*...I'll take either Greer film. :D

Apparently Marsha Hunt made a little cameo appearance at this year's festival, but left shortly after, unfortunately. I heard she is a very dynamic speaker and gets excited about speaking about her stories sort of like Jane Withers. Oh my goodness, that would floor me!

*The Harvey Girls* - with Angela Lansbury

Okay, as a child, I was totally enamoured with Lansbury and have wanted to see her speak my whole life. Please, Oh pretty PLEASE with sugar on top, bring her back! What a treat.

McLintock! - with Stefanie Powers, and Patrick Wayne

Edited by: butterscotchgreer on May 16, 2013 9:31 AM

Hi,

Yes Lynn, a trip to Musso and Franks sounds like a plan!!

And, it will be good to see Mr. C again; and of course, I will anticipate Kyle joining us, as he missed out going with us 4 years ago, when he had to work...

Christy (Ms. SueSue) should round out our venture too.....

I can taste the food already!!

Larry

Some of the liveliest discussion in months on these boards concerned THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW. The independent filmmaker Allison Anders, who did a fine job introducing THE SWIMMER at this year's festival, has done a documentary about THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW. Doesn't it make sense to have her introduce this film in 2014? I'd love to see Russell Metty's excellent black-and-white cinematography on the big screen.

Looking over the list of movies set for the day honoring Maggie Smith this August simply confirms my belief that she would be a perfect choice as one of the featured stars next year.

> I can taste the food already!!

Larry!!!

I am thrilled at the prospect of us joining you and Musso & Franks!!!

It has been far too long!!!

Is it April yet?

David,

I love your Maggie Smith idea! Hoping, hoping, hoping.....

She would probably be a great interview to boot!!!!

Another film I would love to see on the big screen next year is one that Kevin Brownlow talked about, his own feature, *It Happened Here* which I think he said would be 50 years old next year!

Nazis invade Britain during WWII and face resistance. Not to be confused with the very popular festival outing from a few years ago, *Went the Day Well?*

Edited by: lzcutter on May 18, 2013 10:45 AM

Yes, Lynn and kingrat! MAGGIE SMITH!

And kingrat, I also think your idea about Allison Anders is a good one!

If I may chime in re. "There's Always Tomorrow"... I turned it on not knowing anything about it and I absolutely loved it! It looked great and I loved everyone in it, especially Fred MacMurray. I don't think I've ever seen him so vulnerable. Would love to see it at the festival!

Jeff