Sign in to follow this  
joefilmone

"Song of Norway"

9 posts in this topic

Mrs Brady and friends cavort in what looks like a really bad musical.

Edited by: joefilmone on May 15, 2013 5:44 PM

While it's not on the top of my favorites list, ever since I saw the 70mm roadshow version of SONG OF NORWAY, I found it to be a pleasent two and a half hour diversion. There are greater musicals, of course, but also a worse ones. I have a two-tape VHS set of it, but it's never been released on DVD in this country. Perhaps, if it were available, more people would be inclinded to check it out and might be surprised.

Saw it in its road show release. It looked beautiful, but was rather dull, as I recall it. Still, I'd buy a Blu-ray release of it, for sure.

There are a lot of clips of this on You tube- and there is not doubt that while the music and photography are beautiful- the staging of the song seemed a bit awkward. The movie looks like something Joe Pasternak would have produced in his MGM glory days- not a product from 1970s

As a fan of most movie musicals I have to admit this is not one of them.

It just doesn't work.

Maybe because it was made in the 70's and it was past the era that this type of musical could be made and have it work (late 50's to early 60's?).

To this day I cannot remember a single song from this movie...I'm not sure if that's a blessing or not.

I loved the music and thought it was presented well but agree that the whole effect was a bit dull and long and would probably have worked better under Pasternak. Andrew Stone ("Sudden Fear", "Julie", etc.) directed it and I think it was out of his league....as was his follow-up musical, "The Great Waltz" which almost makes "Norway" seem like a masterpiece.

I teach a class on Film Operetta and two members of the spring session came to me individually and told me they hoped I wasn't going to subject the class to "The Song of Norway" as they had horrible memories of having seen it in the early 70's.

I loved the music and thought it was presented well but agree that the whole effect was a bit dull and long and would probably have worked better under Pasternak. Andrew Stone ("Sudden Fear", "Julie", etc.) directed it and I think it was out of his league....as was his follow-up musical, "The Great Waltz" which almost makes "Norway" seem like a masterpiece.

I teach a class on Film Operetta and two members of the spring session came to me individually and told me they hoped I wasn't going to subject the class to "The Song of Norway" as they had horrible memories of having seen it in the early 70's.

THE GREAT WALTZ, is another one I saw during its roadshow engagement, and another I'd buy in a flash on Blu-ray.  Not saying it's any good, mind you.

Another thing I recall about THE SONG OF NORWAY, is that some critic stated that "it takes up where The Sound of Music left off", or something like that; and, they ran that in every single ad, in big letters.  I think it actually replaced the film's original tag line.  Of course, none of the words in that quote have any application to THE SONG OF NORWAY.